Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmin Fenix 6 Watch (Update = bought one in summer)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, cheers, do you have a link to the ski touring one? Think I’ve just used cross country skiing previously when touring!

The 6 pro range also has ski resort maps, will be interesting to see what you make of those!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, interested to know whether you’ve heard any thoughts from your various guide chums about interference issues from GPS watches/ smartphones etc causing problems with transceivers?

Alpine Guides Ltd seem pretty big on it, but I’ve not experienced any other guides expressing concern (but then I don’t encounter many guides!). See https://www.alpine-guides.com/ski/insider-knowledge-ski/transceiver-interference-advice/

From personal experience I have definitely seen smart/GPS watch cause problems for my barryvox. Hmmm.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Inboard,

Not sure how GPS would interfere with a transceiver? GPS receiver is not transmitting anything - quite hard to avoid the transmitted GPS signal which is the whole idea Madeye-Smiley , but very weak when it gets to the receiver!
I guess the bluetooth could theroretically interfere as it is a transmitter, but if I were designing a transceiver I think I might try an make it resilient to such (small) interference.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stuarth, I agree with you that GPS signal shouldn't have any influence but when testing search mode on my Barryvox s last PSB putting my phone in flight mode increased the detection range by a good 5-10m, pushing it out to maybe 45m.

Didn't get around to checking if that was due to Bluetooth, cellular or a combination of the two.
Or what affect the phone would have if you where the one buried instead of the one searching.

I do try to leave mine in flight mode when off piste now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stuarth, if you read the article I linked to, it identifies a potentially serious and worrying problem reducing the effectiveness of avalanche transceivers by interference from portable electronic devices including gps watches, smartphones etc. the problem is not the gps tech per se, but the magnets and batteries and wireless/ Bluetooth signals within and emanating from these devices.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Daishan, interesting. Also on that last PSB, I found my barryvox was far less effective on a search exercise than I’d expect and couldn’t work out why (it was far worse than my old Tracker from 2006!) - eventually (3 months later) realised it was probably the smartwatch on my wrist holding the transceiver… starting to think I’ll just have to cope without gathering health data on ski days - not exactly a big problem
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Always put phone in flight mode when using a transceiver. GoPros can really mess with the signal as well. I usually keep my inreach in my pack and well away from my transceiver on my torso.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I tend to avoid suspect terrain when I ski-tour without a guide which is the majority of the time now and when using my phone for route confirmation I'm not doing it in a vulnerable position anyway.

My transceiver is always in my trouser pocket, and my phone in a chest pocket, but I know not an ideal situation, and to be honest I don't switch it to aeroplane mode.

I would say that guides do now rely on tech far more than previously, especially in areas where they have not been, plus I follow a few guides on Strava so I see their activities.

The Smart watch on the wrist of the same hand as the transceiver is interesting though, and I may well do some tests on all the
above when I'm back out and we get the early season snow.

Signed up for a month of Bikram so will see if there's an app for that Toofy Grin

The ski-touring app www.rh-sports.at but I found it in the IQ Connect and even though it says payment somehow I have the free version after downloading it ?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Inboard,
I'm not an RF expert so I won't dispute the report findings and they seem backed up by real world experience (I am an electronic engineer, however my expertise is mostly in a different field).
My point is that smartwatch batteries and GPS are not sources of emissions and I don't think magnets are present, and even if they were they would be unlikely to be an issue.
Bluetooth is the most likely source of interference however it is a very specific source of interference and necessarily very low power so you would therefore think it would be possible to mitigate?
Phones are a bigger issue, but it is possible to resolve very small signals from a lot of noise (hence the phone, Bluetooth, GPS, and modern communications in general work at all - see Shannon's limit/theorem), so the oscilloscope plot, scary as it might look, may not be the whole story.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy