Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2019-20

Poster: A snowHead
@Skiwi222, @JohnMo, @Welshcakes cheers, yeah i guess as i though common sense applies. Will keep an eye out for the lift times. Incidentally how long does it usually take to get from Cervinia to Zermatt, i know thats variable depending where you are but as a rough guide?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aelita wrote:
So, finally went over to Zermatt from Cervinia yesterday, and even though views were gorgeous, we found many trails were icy, compared to Cervinia. Particularly, run 62 down to Furi was horrendous sheet of ice. Is that common for Zermatt, or just our luck? Hoping for some fresh snow today

As has been said the Zermatt pistes closest to the border are completely north facing (and hiding under the main Alpine ridge) so they can get icy at this time of year. They really come into their own later in the season when pistes are softening and they are still in great condition. The pistes further north on Gornegrat and Rothorn are more like those in Cervinia.

You were unlucky with piste 62 from Furgg to Furi. That is one of my favourite runs. What time were you on it? Generally I tend to avoid it after about 2.30. It gets treated as a “home run” as the afternoon goes on. So it ends up bust, gets people scraping their way down it and is just not that pleasant. As a morning run, particularly in the Spring, it is fantastic.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Russeh wrote:
@Skiwi222, @JohnMo, @Welshcakes cheers, yeah i guess as i though common sense applies. Will keep an eye out for the lift times. Incidentally how long does it usually take to get from Cervinia to Zermatt, i know thats variable depending where you are but as a rough guide?

I have never thought about it! I know that if I get the first gondola at the south of Zermatt at 8.30 and then get the Klein Matterhorn mega gondola I am up at Klein Matterhorn by 9. On the Cervinia side you go by gondola up to Plan Maison and then either: three detachable chairlifts up to Theodulpass (so in principle fast lifts); or gondola followed by cable car up to Testa Grigia. Both routes take about the same time. I would guess 20 minutes but it might be more like half an hour. From there you are in the Zermatt area. If you mean Zermatt town you ski down to Furgg then Furi then into town. How long that takes depends on how fast a skier you are! They are all fast pistes (red then black then red) but they are fairly long and you are descending about 2,000 metres.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Incidentally how long does it usually take to get from Cervinia to Zermatt, i know thats variable depending where you are but as a rough guide?

Starting at the Plan Maison gondola station in Cervinia (as opposed to the Cretaz side) I reckon 30 minutes to Plateau Rosa (using the cable car(s) + gondola(s)) or Theodul Pass using the gondola + 3 chairs is ambitious, but maybe possible if the stars align. It’ll be more predictable to Theodul Pass using the chairs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnMo wrote:
Aelita wrote:
So, finally went over to Zermatt from Cervinia yesterday, and even though views were gorgeous, we found many trails were icy, compared to Cervinia. Particularly, run 62 down to Furi was horrendous sheet of ice. Is that common for Zermatt, or just our luck? Hoping for some fresh snow today

As has been said the Zermatt pistes closest to the border are completely north facing (and hiding under the main Alpine ridge) so they can get icy at this time of year. They really come into their own later in the season when pistes are softening and they are still in great condition. The pistes further north on Gornegrat and Rothorn are more like those in Cervinia.

You were unlucky with piste 62 from Furgg to Furi. That is one of my favourite runs. What time were you on it? Generally I tend to avoid it after about 2.30. It gets treated as a “home run” as the afternoon goes on. So it ends up bust, gets people scraping their way down it and is just not that pleasant. As a morning run, particularly in the Spring, it is fantastic.

is 62 the black run down to furi? its a fantastic run, shame that its the default run down as like JohnMo said does get chewed by the end of the day. i think you've to take a short gondola up to get to the red home run.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnMo wrote:
Aelita wrote:

It was about between 13:00 and 14:00, so later in the day. But it was just soo bad-I was surprised. I avoided it yesterday, and took one of the yellow ones down to Furi, was no picnic either-icy and crusty moguls, scraped my hand bad going down, left bloody marks over the trail, lol. Now learned my lesson not to go glove less on such trails even when it’s warm. Did make it over to Rothorn and that was indeed my favorite part of Zermatt, and that White Hare trails too
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
62 is indeed the black run down from Furi. Over the last few years, my “children” have bought me a First Tracks ticket as a “thank you” for their holiday. You get to go up in the old cable car from Furi to Trockener Steg with the beer barrels and then out onto the piste before the lifts open. You have to be quick to get two runs in (I only manage one!) and then get breakfast in the hut canteen at Kleine Matterhorn. 62 in those conditions is an absolute pleasure but I’ve given up using it at the end of the day. The run is under a slope that avalanches easily - you can see the evidence clearly as you pass over in the bubble up from Furi - so I’m always amazed at the people who duck under the ropes when the run is closed. The White Hare is my husband’s favourite run. Happy days!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
White hare, and also Ober Nationale are great. Kumme, all the way down at the far North of Zermatt runs, tends to be pretty deserted, and should be tried for its relative solitude.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
twoodwar wrote:
Kumme, all the way down at the far North of Zermatt runs, tends to be pretty deserted, and should be tried for its relative solitude.

At least this year it still is quiet. With the new gondola that's being built this summer, that area will probably become more crowded.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skiwi222, true, I'm going to make the most of it in a couple of weeks snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
twoodwar wrote:
@Skiwi222, true, I'm going to make the most of it in a couple of weeks snowHead

Me too, going over there in April Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JohnMo, @OTS so nothing like Courchevel 1650 to Orelle then if you've ever done that Laughing Thats cool, so roughly circa 30 minutes to a skiable point back into Zermatt not too bad then.

I've just booked some off-piste coaching with the summit ski school, fingers crossed for the snow.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Russeh wrote:
@JohnMo, @OTS so nothing like Courchevel 1650 to Orelle then if you've ever done that Laughing Thats cool, so roughly circa 30 minutes to a skiable point back into Zermatt not too bad then.

I've just booked some off-piste coaching with the summit ski school, fingers crossed for the snow.

Some exciting stuff starting to appear on the GFS runs from the end of the month. Even if there is not much fresh stuff when you are there Summit (who are great) can take you on the Rote Nasa lift from Hotälli and teach you on the Stockhorn sector. It is itineraries there but there is also lots of easily accessible off piste stuff. That is high and north facing and is almost always good. It is my favourite area. I think I have had one bad run down the whole time I have been going.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i know snow forecast.com is getting very excited at the moment (i'm taking it with a pinch of salt for now)

yeah i've heard good things about summit and i'm keen to do a few of the itineraries which are suppose to some of the best runs in Zermatt (as you've alluded to!). I've booked half a day with them so should be plenty of time to explore. Planning to book another if it goes well!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Still looks to be holding up with a major snow event around the 5th/6th. Then flat. I arrive on the 7th. Could this be the perfect piste holiday?
snow report
We will have to wait and see, selfishly i would like a bit of sun during in my week Laughing
snow conditions
@Russeh, good job forecasts are just that!
snow conditions
Good to see the snow forecast is showing promising precipitation as I was looking at the webcams earlier thinking it looked more like towards the end of April instead of towards the end of February.
snow report
yeah forecast still looking pretty promising for next week and into the week after.
snow report
Has anyone done the heliski off monterosa? I’m not sure the weather next week will cooperate, but I wondered if anyone here can offer feedback on whether it’s worth it. Would just a standard off piste guide or day of skiing Stockhorn would be better spent? Thanks.
snow conditions
Ptspeak wrote:
Has anyone done the heliski off monterosa? I’m not sure the weather next week will cooperate, but I wondered if anyone here can offer feedback on whether it’s worth it. Would just a standard off piste guide or day of skiing Stockhorn would be better spent? Thanks.

Yes. I have done it. One of the best things I have ever done. Skiing from the second highest mountain in Europe (highest in Switzerland) down steeps, in between glacier crevasses and sweeping into Zermatt 3 kilometres lower. Unbelievable. Admittedly I had a great day - bit windy but the skies were blue. It was not a great snow day but at that height it hardly matters.

You can’t really compare it to Stockhorn. I love skiing Stockhorn but it is mild stuff in comparison. Have you done the Schwarztor? That is one of the most popular off piste tours. You get the lift up to Klein Matterhorn, traverse over the plateau on the south east side of the Breithorn, then skin up to the gate (Tor) onto the Schwarz glacier. You ski down that and on to the Gorner glacier, which is also where the Monte Rosa tour comes down to. It is a similar, but smaller (and obviously cheaper - no helicopter!).
snow report
JohnMo wrote:
Ptspeak wrote:

Yes. I have done it. One of the best things I have ever done. Skiing from the second highest mountain in Europe (highest in Switzerland) down steeps, in between glacier crevasses and sweeping into Zermatt 3 kilometres lower. Unbelievable. Admittedly I had a great day - bit windy but the skies were blue. It was not a great snow day but at that height it hardly matters.

You can’t really compare it to Stockhorn. I love skiing Stockhorn but it is mild stuff in comparison. Have you done the Schwarztor? That is one of the most popular off piste tours. You get the lift up to Klein Matterhorn, traverse over the plateau on the south east side of the Breithorn, then skin up to the gate (Tor) onto the Schwarz glacier. You ski down that and on to the Gorner glacier, which is also where the Monte Rosa tour comes down to. It is a similar, but smaller (and obviously cheaper - no helicopter!).

No I have not. I’ve only skied 3 days there in late January in 2017, a poor snow year. Would you recommend a specific company? I’ve looked at Zermatters. Or is it always operated through Air Zermatt.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 25-02-20 3:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Ptspeak wrote:
No I have not. I’ve only skied 3 days there in late January in 2017, a poor snow year. Would you recommend a specific company? I’ve looked at Zermatters. Or is it always operated through Air Zermatt.

You’ll fly with Air Zermatt in any case. It is easiest to book a guide with Zermatters and they will book the helicopter. If you are on your own it will be expensive as you will be paying for your guide and then both your helicopter fares. You could ask Zermatters if there is a possibility of joining a group.
snow conditions
Not wishing to be alarmist, but I was wondering how the crossing is going into Italy, re the Coronavirus situation. We anticipate going over to Italy at least 2 or 3 times in our week. I wonder if there is any advice or not in resort? Is it simply business as usual? Appreciate any on- site information.
latest report
@twoodwar I arrive on Saturday and have the same questions.
latest report
Having just got back from Zermatt, I've been reminded that I've also just got back from Northern Italy. Presumably many of the Italians in Cervinia would have been from other parts of northern Italy. I was shoulder-to-shoulder a few times in packed cable-cars in Zermatt, when it felt as though the odd sniffle or cough was greeted by a marked silence. The Italian outbreak was already in the news last week, but I wasn't aware of any special measures, in Italy or Switzerland.
snow conditions
latest advise today says that should self quarantine if you're traveling back from one of the towns currently affected in Italy, not the whole north at least for now.
snow conditions
quote from the public health website

"If you have returned from these specific areas since February 19, you should call NHS111 and stay indoors and avoid contact with other people even if you do not have symptoms:

Iran
Specific lockdown areas in Northern Italy as designated by the Government of Italy
Special care zones in South Korea as designated by the Government of the Republic of South Korea
Hubei province (returned in the past 14 days)
If you have returned from these areas since February 19th and develop symptoms, however mild, you should stay indoors at home and avoid contact with other people immediately and call NHS111. You do not need to follow this advice if you have no symptoms."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@caughtanedge, Cheers@Russeh, seems to me like all systems go. As an ex employee of Cussons, I have bought a couple of additional units of Carex antibacterial gel though. I can confirm it is the best of many out there to cleans hands. Need to keep the old company going so they can keep giving me my pension Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@twoodwar, we had a couple of small (50p) bottles of Wilko's finest hand gel. No idea if it works, because I didn't actually get round to using it!
First case in Switzerland: https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/covid-19_switzerland-confirms-first-coronavirus-case/45579278, someone who returned from Milan on 14 Feb. I bet there were a few Milanese in those chairlift queues last week....
latest report
@twoodwar thats good to know as i've just bought a little travel version of Carex for Saturday.
snow conditions
Anyone found a good trasnfer from Zurich to Zermatt? Getting quoted 1200CHF for 8 people?!
snow report
Most people use the train...? Any reason why this won’t work for you? Depends when you are travelling but Saver Day Passes are available from 60 days out from around 52 francs each way second class. Prices increase closer to date of travel so if your travel is imminent the cost might be more than the price you have been quoted above.
ski holidays
scotsgirl wrote:
Most people use the train...? Any reason why this won’t work for you? Depends when you are travelling but Saver Day Passes are available from 60 days out from around 52 francs each way second class. Prices increase closer to date of travel so if your travel is imminent the cost might be more than the price you have been quoted above.

Yeah looked into that but perhaps beacuse I'm booking late it's about CHF159 per person? We're a group of 8 so I was hoping for a discount. Might even drive/park in Tasch?
ski holidays
@craftybob, doable. I normally use rail, but as scotsgirl says you need to book 60 days out for the best price. I have driven to Tasch (from Liverpool though!). We used Christophe to park the car and they transported us up to the southern limits of Zermatt where out hotel electric cab picked us up.
snow report
So it looks like its putting some snow down on the Panoramics on the Cervinia.it site. Forecast a lot tomorrow as well...….
Anybody on the ground to report in!!??
snow report
@Gaz_H, no, but Zermatt webcams were showing plenty this morning.
snow report
@twoodwar, Yeah, Plan Maison is almost white out (could be cloud!!) and -11 too. I think its high winds though
snow conditions
Just waiting for my flight now, weather looks interesting for next week. Doesn’t look like much sun but I’ll take that in exchange for some fresh stuff.
ski holidays
@Russeh, have a good week. Looks like we will need our sunnies at the moment. Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy