Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2019-20

Poster: A snowHead
Would anyone be able to recommend a good snowboard instructor for early intermediate and early advanced levels? Would like to get a few lessons for my wife, and improve my carving and off-piste skills.
As we are based in Valtournenche, the most optimal option seems to be the ride-em school in Cervinia, but what about individual instructors? Any tips?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was in Cervinia from Thurs 30th to Sun 2nd and had a great time. Weather for the 1st 3 days was superb and we managed to get over to Zermatt. Sunday was pants, but by that stage we had had a great time and didnt really care.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FrediKanoute wrote:
Was in Cervinia from Thurs 30th to Sun 2nd and had a great time. Weather for the 1st 3 days was superb and we managed to get over to Zermatt. Sunday was pants, but by that stage we had had a great time and didnt really care.

Pleased you enjoyed it. The last few days have been difficult. The storm has been welcome for the snow it has brought but the winds have been monstrous. They have really struggled to get lifts open and even today the high lifts are not yet open. My daughter in law and son are travelling out to the apartment today so of course (they are always jammy) the winds end today, the sun is out and from tomorrow it looks like fantastic skiing to be had.

The official website now has some new all singing and dancing 360 degree webcams. Good news for us saddos who like a daily webcam fix. The picture is from the top of the Hirli lift (near Schwarzsee and nearest lift station to the Matterhorn). You can see how strong the winds still are from the snow being blown off the Matterhorn.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow - it was nothing like that for us. Very still days very little wind. Spring like days with firm snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JohnMo, All singing and dancing the webcams might be but, unless I’ve missed it and would be delighted to be told I have, the webcam from Findeln is missing. That was my favourite webcam in the Alps and, from a November to April, I have been a daily visitor for years. Watching the snow layers on the roof of the hut and thinking about my next meal at the restaurant has kept me going between holidays. The good news is I’ve found the webcam on Bergfex. Fingers crossed Bergfex keep the feed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Welshcakes, They must have changed that today sometime as I saw it this morning, I also liked looking at the layers on the roof, good notice they now have a new camera up for Trockener Steg at last. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Welshcakes, Findlerhof, and Calves liver! Mmmmm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bahnhofplatz and Kirchplatz have gone as well! You can still see some of the webcam feeds at zermatt.net
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Update from Zermatt Tourist Office:

"We are pleased to inform you that we and the Zermatt mountain railways have replaced the cameras, to ensure better quality."

....but they're still not on the website, so I've asked the Tourist Office when we can expect to see them again.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@twoodwar, A man after my own heart (or stomach!). I will be having calves liver tomorrow but sadly in Wimbledon not Findlerhof. I might once have eaten to ski but now ski to eat. All good!
@caughtanedge, Keep at it. I will remind them about the Findeln camera in the hope they respond to customer demand. I know so many people that like looking at the Findeln webcam and the bahnhofplatz cam showing the Christmas tree in due season and the general comings and goings.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Disaster! Today's response from the Tourist Office:

Thank you to coming back to us.

Kindly we like to inform you that those cameras from Bahnhofplatz, Findel and Kirchplatz will not be reinstalled.

You now get a large overview of the whole village of Zermatt. See here the link with all cameras.

We would be very happy to answer any other questions you might have.

I will be letting them know my opinion.... we've been watching those cameras, especially the Findeln and Bahnhofplatz ones, for years!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Update! - the Bahnhofplatz feed is still on Zermatt.net, so the camera is obviously still live, but the Tourist Office have chosen not to show it on Zermatt.ch.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The feeds for the 'old' cameras are provided by a Zermatt I.T. company, Web Net Data (WND AG). They have a website with a permanent 'slideshow' of their feeds:

http://webcam.wnd.ch.

Findeln is still there so you can still get your 'Findeln fix' if needed!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
....however..... they don't host the Bahnhofplatz webcam, and as that's located above the Tourist Office, who knows how long it will be available?

Direct link is here: http://zermatt.net/webcam/bahnhofplatz.html

Working when I looked just now.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The cemetery one is a fave - a very moving place to spend an hour:
http://zermatt.net/webcam/kirche.html
snow report
Well, I emailed Zermatt Tourism about the loss of the much-loved webcams and had a very courteous reply but the bottom line was still “the computer says no”. Here is the gist of the reply:
“All "old" webcams (with the exception of Gornergrat, Riffelberg and the Italian cams) were removed from the site.
The reason for this is, that we wanted a uniform look and the removed cams no longer met our quality requirements.”.
More worryingly the reply says “It is a question of time until these webcams are turned off. But in the meantime you can still find the desired pictures.”.
Harrumph!
snow report
"...we wanted a uniform look..."
Hmmm, the triumph of style over substance. The 'old' webcam images may have been a bit small and grainy, but (particularly Findeln and Bahnhofplatz,) they perfectly show why Zermatt is a special place - the still-surviving old wooden buildings up on the mountains (with stunning Matterhorn backdrop of course), and the constant activity around the station, at the heart of the town. They've replaced them with a bland picture-postcard view which shows nothing special.

@welshcakes, I re-read your earlier posts - it's useful to know that they're on Bergfex - for now....

Anyone else who misses these 'old friends', feel free to email the Tourist Office (info at zermatt.ch) and let them know!
snow report

Sorry it's a bit big (and grainy), but how could they think this isn't worth showing?
ski holidays
EARNEST wrote:
Would anyone be able to recommend a good snowboard instructor for early intermediate and early advanced levels? Would like to get a few lessons for my wife, and improve my carving and off-piste skills.
As we are based in Valtournenche, the most optimal option seems to be the ride-em school in Cervinia, but what about individual instructors? Any tips?

Rid’em is definitely your best option. I’m a skier, so have never used them for snowboarding, but we’ve loved all the instructors we’ve had for us and the kids.

They will happily meet you in Valtournenche for lessons as well.
snow conditions
Hey everybody - I know the weather thread may not be the best forum, but there seems to be a lot of Zermatt expertise collected here. Our group from the USA is planning our trip for next year (20/21) and are currently scoping out hotels. Does anybody have any experience with:

Hotel Schweizerhof
Hotel Bristol
Hotel Aristella
Unique Hotel Post
Hotel Perrin

I would say our interests include half-board, ability to walk to lifts, hottub/spa/sauna, 4 stars preferred but price sensitive. Likely coming over the last week of January or the first week of March.
Thanks for your thoughts. Happy to post in a different thread if appropriate.
CJM
snow report
I will declare an interest, in that we have stayed at the Hotel Perren (which I think you mean?) very happily over the last 17 years. 3 star, but quality in Switzerland is generally higher than in many other European countries. Bed and breakfast or half board available, plus second public restaurant and cozy bar, popular with locals. No pool, but sauna, steam room etc.

Schweizerhof is on the Main Street, recently refurbished, nice on site restaurants. I would guess likely a good bit more expensive than the Perren.
Hotel Post also on the Main Street, on site bars and clubs, could be issues with noise if that matters
Bristol is on the other side of the river from the church, very central, but not near any of the three lifts (that said, Zermatt is not that big a place)
Aristella is on a quiet street, also fairly recently refurbished, again not next to any lift, equidistant from all three.
The Perren is about 2minutes walk from the Sunnegga funicular, about 5 from the Gornergrat train. A bus to The Klein Matterhorn lift is across the street.
They are all slightly different in style and character, but you wouldn’t be unhappy with any of them I think.
Hope that helps?
ski holidays
scotsgirl - much appreciated insight. Will share with the bosses (wives). Good to know that you've been very happy with Perren.
Now, I guess I should learn which lift we are most likely going to want to use.
CJM
snow report
There are three ski areas in Zermatt, Sunnegga/Rothorn, Gornergrat and then Trockener Steg/Klein Matterhorn.
Assuming you are reasonably competent skiers, comfortable on European reds, all three areas interconnect so (for example) if you stay near the Sunnegga funicular, you can start each day there but still ski over to the Klein Matterhorn side.
Or, you can get the free bus or a taxi to the Klein Matterhorn lift in the morning and link via a bubble at Furi to Gornergrat. Same thing for the Gornergrat train, you can get off at Riffelberg and connect either way via skiing and lifts.
Put short, choose a hotel you like the look of according to budget etc, but being by one transport system doesn’t limit you to that area.
To be clear, other than the Perren, none of the other hotels are close to a lift/train other than the Schweizerhof which is a few minutes from the Gornergrat train.
Does that help or just confuse??
snow conditions
scotsgirl - good to know. I can follow you on the map. Thanks.
CJM
snow conditions
Glad the Perren has good reports thats where i will be staying in 3 weeks Cool
ski holidays
@CJM, you can add the La Couronne as well. We are staying there again for the 5th time in the last 15 years. It’s on the same riverside road as the Perren, but closer to the Matterhorn gondola and the Church. As per Perren, 3 star but really excellent.
latest report
twoodwar - thanks, will check it out.
CJM
latest report
Nice little surprise this morning. Some more due on Valentine’s Day. The strong winds are keeping all the lifts closed though. My daughter in law and son have finally made it back from Zürich this morning. They were meant to fly BA on Sunday afternoon but the winds have been stopping any flights.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Welshcakes, @caughtanedge, for what its worth I have also e mailed them. Anything other than a repeat of your replies I'll let you know.
ski holidays
I emailed the Tourist Office again and (amongst other things) asked if it were possible to have the 'old' webcams available via a link on the main website. Here is (part of) their reply:

At the moment you can still find the required webcams here:

https://www.zermatt.ch/Webcams/Archiv_Webcams/Bahnhofplatz-Zermatt
https://www.zermatt.ch/Webcams/Archiv_Webcams/Findeln-2-050-m

It is a question of time until these webcams are turned off. But in the meantime you can still find the desired pictures.
The Matterhorn App does still show the webcams Findeln and Bahnhofplatz.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Customer satisfaction is our ultimate goal. Unfortunately, we have not quite achieved it with you. Despite the circumstances, we deeply hope that you will enjoy the new high-quality webcams as well.

I don't know if the links to the archive pages are a result of nagging by the likes of us, or whether they were always there...
snow report
@caughtanedge, It looks like very similar to the reply that I was sent. I did bridle at the “customer satisfaction is our ultimate goal” as it seemed to me that, if they really mean that, it is easy to achieve - keep both the “high-quality” webcams and the old webcams and don’t turn the old ones off. Ah well - we’ve made our viewpoint clear and hopefully they will leave the old cams on. In the meantime, I lurk at Findeln and the bahnhofplatz anticipating my next visit and do enjoy the panoramas of the new webcams.
ski holidays
I have received no reply whatsoever. Puzzled
snow conditions
If anyone is in Zermatt/Cervinia-how it is the weather and skiing conditions? We are arriving on Saturday, and I am a little concerned with the forecast, looks like it will be warm in the beginning of the week. Also, I've seen that there were a lot of closures in both Zermatt and Cervinia this week. Hoping to avoid closures next week.
snow report
Aelita wrote:
If anyone is in Zermatt/Cervinia-how it is the weather and skiing conditions? We are arriving on Saturday, and I am a little concerned with the forecast, looks like it will be warm in the beginning of the week. Also, I've seen that there were a lot of closures in both Zermatt and Cervinia this week. Hoping to avoid closures next week.

My daughter and law and son were out until Tuesday and I have been following the SCGB's reports this week on Facebook.

The skiing is extremely varied. There are some absolutely stunning places - generally where it is high and sheltered. However there are also some very icy places and some places where the extreme winds have stripped the mountain bare.

The really high winds coming from the storm have made this week very difficult because so many lifts have been closed. A couple of days there has hardly been anything open.

You look a bit more fortunate. The extreme winds seem to be coming to an end and Storm Dennis should miss Switzerland (and certainly miss the south where Zermatt is). Yes, GFS is forecasting high temperatures - but again stay high and there should not be too great an impact.
latest report
@JohnMo Thanks!
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
Aelita wrote:

My daughter and law and son were out until Tuesday and I have been following the SCGB's reports this week on Facebook.

The skiing is extremely varied. There are some absolutely stunning places - generally where it is high and sheltered. However there are also some very icy places and some places where the extreme winds have stripped the mountain bare.

The really high winds coming from the storm have made this week very difficult because so many lifts have been closed. A couple of days there has hardly been anything open.

You look a bit more fortunate. The extreme winds seem to be coming to an end and Storm Dennis should miss Switzerland (and certainly miss the south where Zermatt is). Yes, GFS is forecasting high temperatures - but again stay high and there should not be too great an impact.

We were out 2 weeks ago and it was bright and sunny and warmish (5 deg at Plan Maison) and the snow was fine. Its cold enough at night to freeze and solidify. The cover generally isn't a problem
latest report
so what's the coverage like in zermatt after the storm? online is saying 30cm at the top?!!!!
snow report
dave_3 wrote:
so what's the coverage like in zermatt after the storm? online is saying 30cm at the top?!!!!

i don't know how they measure these things. There has been a decent amount of snow in February (on top of a good November/December base). But the winds have been stripping exposed areas. So, for example my son said the skiing down to Trockener Steg last week was about the best he had ever seen it while the itineraries on Rothorn have been closed as so much rock has been exposed by the wind.
Nice top up happening at this very moment.
snow report
I think I may have timed this right for once, arrived in Italy today, snowing this evening right down in Aosta Valley at 550m, must be puking it down up on the 'Matterhorn Glacier Paradise'. Sun should appear sometime in the morning. Looking good for the weekend!! Hope to be up in Cervinia on Saturday.
ski holidays
Made it up to Cervinia today, all links open and favourable weather, so went for the international pass. Warmed up a bit in the Italian sun before hitting the border at Theodulpass. Snow was powdery and grippy on the shady side. Sunshine and blue skies, just a bit of high veiled cloud at times. Mild temps despite altitude. Over on Riffelberg at lunchtime it was sunworshipers paradise with that classic toblerone view, though you do have to pay for it!! The new 3s gondola is superb, delivered smoothly to 3883m. The Ventina Run down was cut up on the steep sections and the new snow scraped to reveal the rain crust underneath, so sharp edges and care were needed. Enjoyable revisit, love Cervinia for the motorway cruising and Zermatt for the quality of snow on its plentiful high terrain and those stunning views.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy