Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Arlberg - Staying in Stuben

Poster: A snowHead
I am planning a trip to Ski Arlberg in the middle of January 2020 with my wife. We are looking at staying at the apartments at Fuxbau or Mondschein, both in Stuben.

Can anyone share pros/cons of staying in Stuben vs. St. Anton/Lech/Zurs? It appears that the areas are all linked, though I don't have a good sense of how long it takes to reach St. Anton/Lech/Zurs. That is, if it takes two hours to get to the larger resorts each morning, we would likely try to find other accommodations. Do the busses still run, or have they been phased out with the openings of the new lifts/gondolas? We'd prefer not to rent a car.

For context, we're both strong intermediate skiers and would plan ski a mix of on piste and gentler off-piste runs (with a guide). Our past European ski trips have been to Zermatt (which we love), and based on reviews, Ski Arlberg looks like a great fit as well.

Any other general advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stuben’s very nice. Chilled. Fuxbau has a nice bar/restaurant. Easy to ski over to St Anton or over to the Flexenbahn and from there to Zurs and then Lech.

Only downside I can think of is that it’s not straightforward to get back if you want to go out in St Anton or enjoy the apres ski over there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's great to hear. So from an accessibility/skiing perspective, Stuben isn't at a huge disadvantage? We're not too concerned about missing apres, but would look into a cab if needed.

And thank you!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No arguably it’s an advantage as you are centrally placed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stuben is very small. Has its charm, and yes, very central, but tiny, especially compared to Zermatt. Stuben is not much more than a few hotels at the foot of the Arlbergpass.
Gloomy and very limited in poor weather.
My suggestion would be to go for Lech.
Lech ist the prettiest of all the Arlberg resorts, and getting to St.Anton is easy too, without queues, unlike the other way around...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Langerzug wrote:
Stuben is very small. Has its charm, and yes, very central, but tiny, especially compared to Zermatt. Stuben is not much more than a few hotels at the foot of the Arlbergpass.
Gloomy and very limited in poor weather.
My suggestion would be to go for Lech.
Lech ist the prettiest of all the Arlberg resorts, and getting to St.Anton is easy too, without queues, unlike the other way around...

I think my biggest concern with Stuben isn't the size of the village. We are ok with it being quite small. When in Zermatt, we stayed at our hotel's bar and restaurant almost every night anyway. Rather, I'm concerned about being disconnected from the main ski areas. But if this isn't a concern, Stuben may be right for us...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is central indeed, and beside skiing you also have bus 91 that will take you to Lech and back, but Langerzug is correct when he mentions how small and limited it is.
FWIW, last march we chose St.Anton for connectivity. Lech was amazing to ski and walk but too expensive for us. We contemplated staying in Pettneu or St. Christophe which are well connected by bus but the price difference wasn't big enough to justify the harsher logistics.
I spotted many people coming by private car from Stuben etc. and parking near the Alpe Rauz gondola (open and free parking lot, the early cars find good spots under the bridge so are quite covered from snow)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@grandma, have stayed twice, both at the Hubertushof - which was excellent. Whilst Lech is nicer/more happening it will hit your wallet. Stuben is very well placed to explore the Arlberg and you'll beat the at Anton hoardes over to zurs etc. My sister has stayed at the mondschein and had a great time too (albeit food too fancy for them but they are plain eaters). I think the
Hubertushof might have appartments so worth checking them out too (you get an elevator to the piste Very Happy ). The food at Hubertushof is also excellent. If you were self catering there's a tiny shop selling some basics but you would need car/bus to get to supermarket.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@grandma, if apres ski is not a big concern then Stuben is ideal. It is very centrally placed for access to the whole of the Arlberg ski area, arguably better than either St Anton or Lech. The chairlift out of the village is followed by a short easy piste which leads to Alpe Rauz from where there are lifts towards either St Anton or Zürs. Getting back after the lifts close is easy enough from Lech as there are buses but St Anton means paying out for a fairly expensive taxi.

Stuben is a small place and having a car could be helpful if you are in an apartment and want to visit a supermarket. One potential issue in January is access, the Arlberg pass does occasionally get closed which makes access from the east (St Anton) more difficult though it is almost always possible to get to Stuben from the western / Vorarlberg side (perfect if coming in via Zürich) and the Arlberg tunnel is unlikely to get closed. If you travel by train there are direct trains from both Zürich and Innsbruck to the neighbouring village of Langen.

The Arlberg is one of the best ski areas around and Stuben is a perfectly good place to stay, an attractive small village at the foot of the Flexen and Arlberg passes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@grandma,
Just to get it absolutely right: Stuben is not ‘quite small’. Stuben is a tiny hamlet. Compared to Stuben, Zermatt is an alpine metropolis
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stuben is fine if you mainly want to ski, are happy eating in the hotel and maybe one ot 2 other bars. It's not as up its own arris as Lech and Zuers, nor as rowdy as St Anton. It always makes me laugh when Lech is presented as an Alpine metropolis, it's a nice enough place but one swanky hotel/bar/ resto is pretty much like another.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all of the input. Despite its size (or perhaps because of it), I think Stuben will likely work for us. Should I have any reservations about a mid-to-late January trip? That's deep enough in the season to have decent snow coverage, right?

If anyone has recommendations for an off-piste guide based in Stuben, I'd appreciate that as well! I'd also be interested in recommended off-piste guides based on other resorts. Thanks again!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@grandma, the Arlberg is one of the snowiest parts of the Alps. Whilst a poor season is always possible, in the overwhelming majority of seasons mid January will see decent snow conditions. Last January had the opposite problem, too much snow!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@grandma, like @munich_irish, says, if there's no snow on the Arlberg there's no snow anywhere. Mid January will be fine!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@grandma, Stuben gets way more snow than at Anton and keeps in better condition too. I would not worry about enough snow in January but as @munich_irish, says, the road can close from time to time when there's too much snow.
snow report
Big snow

http://youtube.com/v/qltS3AcFspQ

http://youtube.com/v/Tp5yAo8klmM
snow report
If you want off piste then Stuben will be spot on, we've missed crowds on a bluebird powder day by meeting the guide in Stuben and getting fresh tracks in before the hoards arrive !! The road up to Stuben is also before the mandatory chain point, and doesn't often get blocked!
ski holidays
Thanks again, all! Ol’ grandma greatly appreciates the input!

I think we’re planning to take the train to St Anton from Zurich on the way in (taxi from St Anton to Stuben) and then take a bus from Stuben to the Zurich airport on the way out. Will be sure to keep an eye on road closures as well.
latest report
Also look at trains to Langen, much closer to Stuben than St A
snow report
Quote:

we’re planning to take the train to St Anton from Zurich on the way in
make sure you get a train which stops at Langen rather than through to St A. as it's only a 3-minute bus 90/91 to Stüben
ski holidays
I took a look at the Swiss rail website and it appeared that the train to Langen would require a transfer. Are there direct trains to Langen in the winter?
ski holidays
take a look at Arlberg Express too. Leaves Zurich airport 2-3 times per day on Saturday/Sunday and will drop you right in your village. Nice after an overnight flight from the US to just get on the bus and not have to worry about any other logistics until you reach your destination.
snow conditions
grandma wrote:
I took a look at the Swiss rail website and it appeared that the train to Langen would require a transfer. Are there direct trains to Langen in the winter?

Just the same as St Anton if coming from Zurich airport, one train from the airport to the main station, then hop on to the train direct to Stuben (or St Anton). Arlberg Express are also worth a look at, but are more expensive than the train IIRC (I usually get the Sparscheine tickets which are a lot cheaper but tie you to a particular train).
ski holidays
Train from Zürich does indeed not stop at Langen. Via St.Anton is the way to go. Arlberg Express can be interesting, but dependant on connection-times. And still quite expensive.
snow conditions
@grandma, the trains that stop in Langen start in Bregenz rather than Zürich so it is probably quicker to go to St Anton and take a taxi or alternatively get off at Bludenz and get a transfer from there (probably cheaper to book a transfer rather than get a taxi outside the station). There are also buses from Bludenz to Stuben, which you can book as part of your ticket (look on the OEBB - Austrian railways, site) and are usually scheduled to depart 10 minutes or so after the train is due to arrive.
snow report
Quote:

t's a nice enough place but one swanky hotel/bar/ resto is pretty much like another.

@Dave of the Marmottes, clearly you don’t know Lech, you ever stayed there? As well as the large hotels there are many smaller reasonably priced Pensions and restaurants. It’s a great place to ski and doesn’t have to break the bank.

We’ve stayed in Stuben a few years ago and whilst it’s an awesome place to ski it’s too quiet for us in the evening. Fuxbau a go to place for lunch.

Anton is awesome on many levels and Rendl our favourite ski area, we’ve been going for many years, but don’t discount Lech, we now stay in Lech one week a season and it puts a completely different perspective on the skiing. Actually there right now hiking, going up Rufikopf in about an hour to hike to Stuttgarthütte.
snow report
I have stayed in Lech in the summer. I am aware that there are pensions that are reasonable. What I didn't really find were the plethora of independent restauarants and bars that weren't tied into hotels. And my view of the biggest open air terrace by the river may have been tainted by the number of couples in his and her white jeans and blouses with the shoulder sweater drape...
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I presume all with not so discrete Bogner logos Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Not the same as the winter then is it? Plenty of restaurants if you look and a short bus ride to Zug will give you several really good restaurants too.
ski holidays
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Not the same as the winter then is it? Plenty of restaurants if you look and a short bus ride to Zug will give you several really good restaurants too.

Exactly this.

Many people are judging Lech by the cover...
ski holidays
I get it some people love Lech. Great. I'm just saying for me it isn't as diverse and lively as St Anton (where are the Bobo's, the burger takeaways, places as idiosyncratic as the Underground or Scotty's?
) nor as as basic needs met in a place that feels "authentic" like Pettneu or Warth. So I can't see that I'd go out of my way to pay a premium over Stuben, that's all I am saying. If Lech ticks all your boxes (and it clearly does for many many visitors who visit year after year) then great.
ski holidays
@Langerzug, If they don't look they won't find. Thankfully the burger bars are in St Anton and not Lech/Zurs. Underground is good but Scotties is nothing better than a pizza, seasonaires hang out. As for authentic? Well Lech Is, authentically nice, pretty, charming, delightful and full of equally delightful people. Each to their own. I'll be in ST Cristoph for the whole season 2019/20 so not too far away. Back to the OP. Have you looked at St Christoph? Better links to the circuit than Stuben but a similar(smaller) size.
ski holidays
Again, many thanks to all for the recommendations and input. Bought plane tickets to Zurich last night and will finalize accommodations this week. Looks like we’re staying 7 nights in Stuben. Very much looking forward to the trip. I’ll keep an eye on these forums and continue to post for additional guidance (off-piste guides, restaurants on the slopes, etc.). Very Happy Laughing
ski holidays
@Old Man Of Lech, Sounds like there is an insider's guide to Lech begging to be written at some point in time. Trouble is you probably want to keep the riff raff out so no point in doing so. I totally get that investing time in the place will reveal where isn't a tourist trap, which top dollar places are really worth the money and net you personal relationships that are more than being viewed a walking cashpoint/ego to be flattered. But as my eyes bleed everytime I walk into Strolz etc it's hard to make that investment (for me personally guess I'd rather start from somewhere other than "if you have to ask the price....")
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, disappointed in you mate, suggest you stop denigrating what you don’t know about and try it, you could be surprised.
snow conditions
I've stayed in Lech, Stuben, and St. Anton. Stuben is the best geographic location and has the best snow/skiing in close proximity. North face of the Albona is one of the great off piste skiing areas in the alps. I've stayed at the Mondschein. Rooms have been upgraded. Dining area and bar/lobby still needed a freshening up when I was last there. The stube is classic charming old time Austrian. Not a good spot for apre ski lounging on the sun deck. I've only been there in March, and I'd guess that Stuben can be a pretty dark spot in mid-winter. Food is good in the hotel. Don't have a feel for other eating places in Stuben.
Hotel can arrange for off piste/touring guides. We'll worth it if you like that sort of thing and the conditions are favorable.
I've taken the train from ZRH to Langen and bused it from there to Stuben. Arlberg Express bus provides pretty much door to door service ZRH to Stuben. Certainly the easiest option and no passes to negotiate.
I've stayed in Lech of late. There are plenty of (somewhat) reasonably priced options in Lech. If you mind walking, check proximity to lifts before you book. It is one of the true high end resorts in the alps and priced accordingly. It's a pain to get to St. Anton from there. The trip over and back is long and crowded.
From the sound of things. Stuben will be a great choice.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, I'm not denigrating it. I'm just saying it's not for me probably. Had a great summer week there. Way better than St A for summer lift access and great guestcard programme. But didn't love enough about the atmosphere or vibe to want to stay there in winter. Maybe my mind would change if I had a winter week there.IDK.
ski holidays
@choucas, 'It's a pain to get to St. Anton from there'.
The trip over and back is long and crowded'. Really? In what planet was that then? It is really quite easy to get to St Anton if you wish to and coming back is not a problem either.
latest report
choucas wrote:
...... It's a pain to get to St. Anton from there [Lech]. The trip over and back is long and crowded.

It is not that hard, but depends on where you are staying in Lech. If you are near Ruffikopf, then it and Trittalp will get you to the Flexenbahn and hence St Anton. Alternatively, get the free Blue bus from Lech to the Flexenbahn.

If you want to spend the day in St Anton, then get the 91 Postbus. It is rarely full going from Lech to St Anton in the morning and similarly on return in the afternoon.

Lech is also well-positioned for access to Warth and Schröcken.

Lech has a lot to offer, as does Stuben, St Anton, Zürs, ....
latest report
@Old Man Of Lech, snap! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy