Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys best runs to get around

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The last topic I created was so helpful that I thought I would ask for a bit more guidance, this time in the best ways to get around the Valleys on a snowboard. I have a guide of runs to try and get done based on this forum or blogs for various reasons, so started looking at routes to take. What I then realised after doing so that I may have chosen a lot of runs that don't suit a snowboard. What runs should I try to avoid (if possible) when getting from Les Menuires to Courchevel (If I can get 1 good route between these places, the other villages will be easier to plan for)? What would others suggest is the best route?

For example my initial route from Les Menuires to the Suisse run is:
Up: Bruyeres 1& 2 Gondola (Accommodation very close)
Down: Venturon, Bouvreull, Ours
Up: Pas du Lac 1 & 2 Gondola
Down: Creux, Lac Creux, Altiport
Up: Suisse chairlift

These are based off of limited knowledge just using the piste maps online.

I then read in a few places that 'Ours' is a run to be avoided on a snowboard, so that kind of stumped me, and made me think I could spend a lot of time struggling to get to a specific run if a lot of runs are flat to get to them.

Send any tips and pointers my way please.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That route will kill you on a board. Venturon has a long flat, Bouvreuil an uphill flat and Ours you will just be walking.

Take the Sunny followed by whatever the blue is above the park across to Roc 2. Mouflon red to Sitelle blue to Pas du Lac. Sitelle is also flat but you can carry your speed. From Pas du Lac just take Creux blue to Marmottes lift. Turn directly left off Marmottes and back on yourself under the lift. Turn left after about 150m to enter Suisses.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, avoid Ours. After Bouvreil take the Plan des Mains chair up, then Sitelle/Martre into Mottaret.

If you are aiming for Courchevel 1850 centre then you don't need to take the Suisses chair up; just keep following Altiport, and then Bellecote.

There are a few places along Lac Creux and Alitport that are flattish, so you would need to keep some speed upon a board. A steeper route from the top of Pac Du Lac 2 would be Combe de la Saulire & Verdons

(Edit: missed that you wanted to get to the top of Suisses. As an alternative to Creux down / Marmottes up you could take Combe de la Saulire down / Viselle up)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fantastic, cheers. I'm going to update my route plan now. Obviously could all change due to conditions and ques but I like to minimise wasted time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My mate from work who snowboards refers to Ours as Hours.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@WD88;
To get an advance idea which runs are flattish, you could also try having a look at the official app for 3V, which has a 3d viewer option.
I found the map takes ages to download onto tablet/phone, but once it’s local it’s not so bad.
I do idly look at it at home sometimes in the summer . . .
I tried it for a bit when out there, but as I’m basically an old fart and a Luddite I didn’t like it that much and stopped using it in resort or on the slopes myself.

It might suit you though.
The other features in the app can also give you ideas on route planning, restaurants and all that.
‘Les 3 Vallees’ when searching for it in the app store, or via official 3V website I think.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WD88, rather than best runs to get around you might be better asking for runs to avoid on a 'board, ie, flat ones. They're not always obvious from the start. Ours starts of looking quite nice but soon turns out flat. Others that spring to mind are, Truite from Mottaret to Meribel that's flat at the end (but not too long) and Boulevard Cumin from VT to LM where you'd be walking.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Your problem is it's called the 3 valleys and valleys tend to have flat bits at the bottom. I can think of quite a few runs that are pretty tedious on skis alone. In fact I'd say that's the factor that makes me most question the overall reputation for greatness of the entire 3V. You may clock up mileage but some of it is on not overly exciting runs.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adithorp wrote:
@WD88, rather than best runs to get around you might be better asking for runs to avoid on a 'board, ie, flat ones. They're not always obvious from the start. Ours starts of looking quite nice but soon turns out flat. Others that spring to mind are, Truite from Mottaret to Meribel that's flat at the end (but not too long) and Boulevard Cumin from VT to LM where you'd be walking.

I find Truite okay unless you are aiming for the Rhodos gonola, or the village itself. Agree Cumin has some very flat bits.

Others you may want to avoid because they have some flatter parts (although it can depend on snow conditions): Praline, and the bottom part of Indiens, in Courchevel 1650; Col de la Loze and Boulevard de la Loze; Perdrix past the top of Mottaret village. And there are some flat parts of the Meribel/Belleville ridge: from Mont de la Chambre towards Goitshel/Chardons, and along Cretes. Take a skier with you!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ecureuil, Truite has a roller about 2/3 of the way down that needs to be pre-jumped if you don't want to get too much air when tucking from the top.

I have only ever done this at 7am when there was nobody else about.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, +1

Overpisted to gain km reputation - whoever invented the concept of a green run?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes,

Every ski resort is in a valley, n'est ce pas?

So, by the same token, every ski resort has flat bits? Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergmeister wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,

Every ski resort is in a valley, n'est ce pas?

So, by the same token, every ski resort has flat bits? Puzzled

Well not really, yes it is usually the case that base station will be in a valley location but it is not necessary that the runs to it be flat. Think say L2A - definitely in a valley but some of the steepest skiing down to it, Nasserein at St Anton similarly etc. VDI - is the face flat?

Everwhere does have flatter runs of course, the 3V does seem to have quite a share of them though. Don't get me wrong I love VT and Orelle but whenever I've ventured through Meribel and Courch I've found quite a bit of tedium. Of course we can all name runs elsewhere that are good but end in a disappointing pole back to the lifts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe skiing is, I don't know, but snowboarding isn't a form of transportation, it's about having a good time. So getting around in most efficient way isn't the goal, unless you want the most mileage in one day/weekend.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy