Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Official Website www.la-plagne.com

Opening dates
Altitude resorts 15/12 => 27/04
Paradiski & villages 22/12 => 27/04

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 23-06-18 18:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Season pass prices published already and can be purchased with discount from September
https://www.edenski.com/cms/eden-price

Dependant upon a number of factors it is worth checking out http://www.skialacarte.fr/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah the new season thread, and nice and early this year - must be time to start watching the webcams again soon.....!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chopkins13, You mean theres a time you dont? Madeye-Smiley

Montalbert webcam with links to other LP webcams https://laplagne.roundshot.com/montalbert/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm in
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Who has been in Feb half term and how busy is it compared to Easter? We are booked for Feb half term next year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feb half term is much busier than Easter, all the ski schools are rammed so make sure you book early.
It’s important to get going at 9.00 to avoid some hideous queues from 9.30. -10.30. Ski during lunch 12-2.00 and avoid the big links at 4 and you will be adsolutely fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
Season pass prices published already and can be purchased with discount from September
https://www.edenski.com/cms/eden-price

Dependant upon a number of factors it is worth checking out http://www.skialacarte.fr/

Gosh that's gone up a lot from €820 last year for a Paradiski Season pass bought in advance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@eblunt, LP season pass has gone up from 750 to 766, seems ok?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
@eblunt, LP season pass has gone up from 750 to 766, seems ok?

Oh yes, major fail on my part, only looked at the full retail price only gone up 820 to 838 in fact
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@alangibson73, Whatever happens avoid being in Bellecote at 2.30 when it feels like the entire French nation as one gets up from their long lunch and goes to the lifts Skullie
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ford wrote:
@alangibson73, Whatever happens avoid being in Bellecote at 2.30 when it feels like the entire French nation as one gets up from their long lunch and goes to the lifts Skullie

This season, with the new Inversens chair, it should be much easier to bypass Bellecote - Crozats + Inversens to get to RDM is a much more feasible route now.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@eblunt, is there any indication on how long a journey on the new Inversens chair would take compared to the old 15mins+? Would be good if they could get near halving that!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chopkins13 wrote:
@eblunt, is there any indication on how long a journey on the new Inversens chair would take compared to the old 15mins+? Would be good if they could get near halving that!!

I'm pretty sure it will, if not better - the speed will go up from about 2 m/s to about 5 m/s , so I guess you'll be looking at about 6 minutes. Plus as a 6 seater hopefully the capacity will be better as well to reduce wait times.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Marked. Cool
ski holidays
@eblunt, @chopkins13, If it is a 6 seater I bet they still allow ones and twos even when the queue is huge Skullie
@thefatcontroller, snowHead
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, Yes almost certainly, but a capacity of 3,000 pph rather than 1700 pph must surely make a difference.

@thefatcontroller, Yes note, famous last words.
latest report
@eblunt, some conservative or perhaps creative mathematics going on here then.....

1,700 current capacity, increase by 50% (4 seats to 6 seats) = 2,550 pph
Then double the speed = 5,100 pph.

Seems to me they're accepting that they won't hit the speed target ??

Proof will be in the pudding I guess when we all get to ride it in the winter. Really hoping it's a success as I love the Inversens piste and we normally stay in Belle Plagne so this will really help with route options.
latest report
@chopkins13, It doesn't work like that. Don't confuse speed with capacity. The speed is doubled because of the clutching mechanism. that *doesn't* mean that the chairs pass through the loading station at 2 times the frequency.

The capacity is down to the loading rate at the bottom when the chairs are off the wire anyway , and basically is limited by how quickly the skiers can get themselves lined up, which is normally at best about 7 seconds. That rate will be improved by such factors as a moving carpet doing the positioning for them.

For an old lift ( unclutched like inversens) , no carpet, and possibly coming in faster, that's going to be more like 9 or 10 seconds to get the skiers lined up. Thus the chairs per hour going through might only be about 80% of a modern lift.
snow report
@eblunt, excellent explanation. So if the loading is the limiting factor, with a faster cable speed you'd expect fewer chairs are actually needed as they move between stations much quicker? The current Inversens has something like 150+ chairs, cutting that down whilst increasing capacity will reduce maintenance costs for the lift company I guess.
snow report
@chopkins13, Yes, on a fast lift the actual distance between the chairs will be greater. As for maintenance, the actual mechanism at the top and bottom is more complex, so that would require more, so probably balances out
snow report
I guess it will take about 7mins to cover the 2038m (assuming the new lift is the same length) most of the high speed lifts do about 5.5m/s although I saw something that suggested the new lift would go at 5.3m/s.
The existing lift takes 14.50mins so it looks like halving the journey time.
snow report
@Charliee, Yes 5 to 5.5 m/s is ballpark for a clutched lift, so that corresponds to 6-7 minutes.

Just looked on the website and its supposed to be 3,000 capacity and 5.5 m/s
snow report
Some good pictures of progress on the new Inversens lift construction over on Person La Plagne today...

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm
Looks to be some serious earth works taking place on the bottom lift station
ski holidays
Thank you chopkins13. I've been checking perso.laplagne regularly too.
As you say, does look major stuff at the bottom: i wonder if some of it is in preparation for the proposed lift going up the other way to Crozats area?
And lets hope they finish in time: seems a lot of work still to do.
snow report
@Jonpim, looks like they’ve got boat loads left to do doesn’t it - basically the whole loft still to construct!! Only 17 pylons on the new one though, quite impressive really. Here’s hoping for a very productive August before the weather turns again in autumn!!
snow conditions
The new lift could change the dynamics of flow through that side of La Plagne as more people choose to use the new lift to get to Roche de Mio rather than go through Bellocote if coming from Les Arc / Les Coches. Regardless a good improvement on a tedious lift. Also one of my favorite runs in the area.
snow report
@stevew, Yes, especially if they complete the circuit the proposed inversens > crozats lift mentioned sbove
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Almost live camera to watch the build of the top of the new Inversens lift

http://youtube.com/v/SRXoGBoHeAs
snow conditions
Oooh - just seen the not-so-new-thread hi everyone #waves
snow report
Loads of La Plagne info in this years press pack - easiest to read by downloading the pdf...
http://presse-laplagne.com/en/the-winter-press-kit-is-ready/
ski holidays
Oh dear.
I think we've made a horrible mistake. Any advice welcome.
We've booked a chalet for 11 in Montchavin (La Plagne) from the 15th to the 26th December and were hoping to make the best of the Paradiski area.
Having looked at the ski pass dates just now, it looks like we can't buy a Paradiski area pass until the 22nd.
That seems a bit odd as both areas are open on the 15th - but any advice/insight into this would be welcome.
I assume we'll have to stick to the La Plagne side until the 22nd? I also assume the 1 free Paradiski day is not an addition, but one of the days we buy?
Thanks in advance.
T
snow report
@Tferris, the Vanoise Express isn't scheduled to open until 22nd December, so that is why you can't buy a Paradiski pass before then. I would expect that if you buy a La Plagne lift pass from 15th to 26th December then that should be good for one day to Les Arcs from 22nd onwards when the lift opens.

Don't worry. Both the La Plagne and the Les Arcs areas are decidedly substantial. One day in the last three to experience the 'other side' will be plenty.
snow report
On the subject of lift speed it’s worth remembering that the newest chairlifts are only about 0.5m/s faster than auto stacking Pomas, most of which have now been removed Crying or Very sad

It’s not surprising that day passes last year were pushing £55.
latest report
@Peter S, Which are the 'fast' ones that have been removed ? Colosses ? cant think of any others tbh. The old Inversens and Crozats were definately slow ( 2 m/s ).
snow report
eblunt, were Crozats and Inversens fixed grip chairlifts ? I'm referring to auto stacking Poma drag lifts, the fastest of which used to do 4.5m/s or more snowHead
ski holidays
@Peter S, wow that’s pretty rapid for a drag lift!!

Although I’m not sure it’s a direct comparison given you only get 1 person on a drag and up to 8 on the new colosses.
ski holidays
@chopkins13, I guess it's a combination of speed + capacity that's important. It's no great comfort to know the drag runs at 4.5 m/s if you have to wait 10 minutes for it
snow report
@Peter S, Indeed, until a couple of years ago there was a network of fast Poma drag lifts that could be used to avoid the busier lifts and Bellecote altogether - sadly most have now gone Sad
Quote:
up to 8 on the new colosses.
I wish - hardly ever see 8 on a seat even when the queue is back to Arpette Sad The shame is with the removal of the Colosses drag with its steep incline and sharp dog leg there is no quick alternative, I know folk that have given up and got the bus back to 1800 because of the infuriating queue management (or lack of) Sad
snow report
@boredsurfin, what I don't undersatnd is why they cant cut a track across from the top of Col de forcle which gets into plagne centre. That way 3 lifts that can get people from Bellecote to PC
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy