Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jet2 Ski Carriage Policy

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone clarify? I have searched their website and the forum without luck and emailed Jet 2 whom reply to say they will answer in 14 days! rolling eyes

Ski and boot carriage is for up to 22kgs per person. What they don't clarify is the number of actual bags? Like (probably) most folks I take a separate ski case and boot bag. In fact both mine and Mrs Rs go into a double Sporttube which weighs about 16 kgs when loaded. The boots are approx 5kgs each so the total is well within the weight we have paid for.

What I'm afraid of is some airport jobsworth charging double for some combination of excuses such as that I've got too many bags or that skis can't be doubled up. Last time we used Jet2 was 2014 and they were fine with this then but that a long time ago in airline revenue raising racket terms!

Has anyone any more recent experience or clarification they can offer before I book to take advantage of their half price carriage offer?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't touch them again with a shitty stick. They routinely took my money for ski carriage then didn't bother to carry my skis. 4 trips and only once they actually got my skis there and back with me. As an airline they make Ryanair look good.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3186638&highlight=jet2#3186638

Although thread is two years ago
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
swiftoid wrote:
I wouldn't touch them again with a shitty stick. They routinely took my money for ski carriage then didn't bother to carry my skis. 4 trips and only once they actually got my skis there and back with me. As an airline they make Ryanair look good.

Hmmm, worrying. was that the Edinburgh-Salzburg flight and/or was it recently?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robboj wrote:
swiftoid wrote:

Hmmm, worrying. was that the Edinburgh-Salzburg flight and/or was it recently?

It was Edinburgh-Chambery. Haven't used them again since 2015/16. Since then have mostly gone Easyjet Edinburgh-Geneva and had no problems whatsoever with ski carriage.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used them Easter 2018 without issue, only one pair of skis in the bag but there was other items like clothing, boots were in another bag. It was all fine as i hope your journey will be.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski carriage is normally 23kg £35 each way but half price atm so not a bad deal, hold luggage is 22kg £33 each way. I've not had problems with them so far.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flown with Jet2 multiple times and never had an issue. Don't know the answer to the OPs question though as I put my skis in my other bag anyway.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@robboj, Fly BA, there's no charge for 23kg hold baggage, use roller-ski bags, put your boots in cabin bags, another 23kgs. By the time you add the charges for baggage with Jet2/Easy/Ryan you might as well fly BA.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was an issue with some old Jet2 aircraft at Edinburgh that had limited cargo carrying capacity (especially at Chambery) I think they have now retired those aircraft and no longer fly to Chambery because of all the geographical and weather issues.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@robboj, I live 10 miles from Jet2 hub at Leeds Bradford airport and we haven't used them for ski flights for at least 10 years, £35 x 4 ie £140 for ski carriage, plus carriage for hold bags at £33 and seat bookings etc - add-ons all over the place, plus poor time slots, inflated prices at weekends and not daily flights means we use Swiss and Lufthansa from Manchester. Jet2 call themselves the Skiers Airline, nothing could be further from the truth, last time I did a comparison on a like for like basis they were 75% more expensive than Lufthansa (even factoring in car parking at Manchester vs taxi to LBA) and we'd have missed 2 days skiing compared with scheduled flights. rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Markymark29, Exactly my point.

BA is even cheaper if you use Avios for your flights. These can be used on Flybe flights from MAN and you still get the 23kg baggage allowance if you book through the BA Executive Club. It's easy to collect enough Tesco Points each year for two pairs of return flights to France/Swiss/Austria/Italy. Can't understand why Jet2/Easy/Ryan appeal to skiers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimastaaah, I've looked at that as it works out roughly the same in costs but the only option is via Heathrow which makes it a much longer day and from previous experience tightly scheduled transfers with ski equipment is a recipe for disaster in the winter months. Confused

It's the ongoing problem of the paucity of ski flights from Scotland. There are five of us this time as all the boys are coming with us so Glasgow or Edinburgh are the only practical options from a home to airport with all the bags and skis point of view. As it stands its either a minibus taxi or a two car journey depending upon what's cheapest?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, I did wonder about @swiftoids experience. Whilst not at all questioning the issues he had I did have a notion that Chambery has a bit of a reputation for 'issues' including luggage perhaps caused by the type/size of aircraft often used and the topography of the airport. The Edinburgh Salzburg flight is a Boeing 737-800 so I would hope no issues over the actual reliability of the equipment carriage.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Taking your own Skis is reallz 20th Century..not even the Germans to that now and they do not fly!!

No hassle Renting is back in a huge way ...
ski holidays
@Markymark29, @skimastaaah, Jet 2, even with all the add on rackets is actually the cheapest option for us working out at £210 each return for a 22kg hold bag a 10kg carry on and 22kg of skis and boots each. Much more than we need tbh. As an example BA via Heathrow is £16 dearer.

I suspect that may be relatively expensive for folks down south but up here we've little choice Sad
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Taking your own Skis is reallz 20th Century..not even the Germans to that now and they do not fly!!

No hassle Renting is back in a huge way ...

Right now I'd sooner pay £150 to take them than approx Euro600 to rent them.
latest report
@robboj, We fly via Zurich (Swiss) and Munich (Lufthansa) ex Manchester for approx £150pp including skis/ baggage carriage, BA isnt much use to Austria from the north is it @skimastaaah, ? Not worth driving down to Manchester from Scotland?

We used to fly to GVA 20+ years ago but got so fed up of all the flight add-ons, then reverted to the car and got fed up of tolls in FR and traffic in Savoie, then discovered the Arlberg c.1997 and initially used to drive there (much easier) but has got very expensive with fuel costs/ tunnel/ P&O overnight from Hull etc so now back on scheduled flights for last few years ex MAN and now we train it up to resort. Works well, but needs detailed planning, and a friend where we dump our hardware in the Alps (rather than carrying it)!
snow conditions
@Markymark29, I'll fly MAN to ZRH for the Arlberg, or MAN to MXP for Aosta Valley resorts. Driving down to LGW for Turin flights is now not worth the hassle. However, I have taken the train to LGW from Leeds for less than £45 return, which is real easy to do. But, I reckon the best BA deals are out of LHR to INN, sensible flight times, cheap car hire at Innsbruck, quick to resort, easy-peasy.

All of my experiences with Swissair, Lufthansa, BA, Flybe are so much better than Jet2/Easy/Ryan now that silly charges for everything come into play. Baggage charges alone for Jet2 = £140 return for 2 pairs of skis, £132 for 2 hold bags. My BA flights for 2 people never cost anywhere near those charges alone for skis and kit!
latest report
@skimastaaah, May look at that LHR to INN BA thing sometime, but tbph I avoid LHR wherever possible, the idea of going ECML/ tube/ heathrow express isn't an attractive one especially in reverse at the end of the holiday, I'd rather batter along the M65 from Mancunia at midnight as currently the case vs sleeping in Kings Cross and a wasted day travelling north back to civilisation. wink
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@robboj, We fly via Zurich (Swiss) and Munich (Lufthansa) ex Manchester for approx £150pp including skis/ baggage carriage, BA isnt much use to Austria from the north is it @skimastaaah, ? Not worth driving down to Manchester from Scotland?

I wouldn't rule it out if just the two of us in one car but we're going to Saalbach which makes Salzburg by far the best option. If we drive to Manchester then we've 3 hour 30 mins drives at both ends to contend with as opposed to 45 mins here and 1 hr 15 mins there. Even if it was £150pp (as opposed to £210pp) the extra fuel costs in the UK plus the more expensive transfer from Munich would take a big chunk out of the £300 (5x £60) we'd save and I don't reckon what would be left would be enough to justify the extra stress and hassle of the much longer transfers.

I've done it every way over the years, changing in Heathrow, changing in Gatwick, driving to Manchester, driving all the way via Hull and Rotterdam and frankly, Manchester apart, not a single one has gone smoothly. So I've grudgingly accepted paying more just to make it as simple as possible by flying from local airports. For the last three years we've booked packages which makes it simple but we're exploring another option, for this trip at least, so will see how it goes?
ski holidays
Booked this year, ski carriage was 22 kilo, so two sets in one big, same as last year
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
There was an issue with some old Jet2 aircraft at Edinburgh that had limited cargo carrying capacity (especially at Chambery) I think they have now retired those aircraft and no longer fly to Chambery because of all the geographical and weather issues.

Yes but Jet2 obviously knew about their limited cargo carrying capacity yet still took money from people when they knew fine well they wouldn't be able to carry their skis.
Once, coming back from Chambery, we had to stop and refuel in fecking Bournemouth (which took a stupid amount of time) on the way back to Edinburgh and they hadn't bothered to bring our skis then either. Shambles of a company.
snow report
@robboj, I've used the Edinburgh Salzburg flight a few times in last couple of years and found it all excellent. Not overly cheap but service at both airports excellent
latest report
@boabski, Many thanks. we have used them for summer holidays the last few years and they've been fine.

We have gone ahead and booked it. I managed to find a phone number which was really a helpline for confirmed bookings and some to a helpful chap called Ben whom confirmed that as long as the ski equipment is within the dimensions and weights they specify that it doesn't matter how many actual bags/containers are involved.

As for whether they'll be there when we land in Salzburg, well that's in the hands of the gods. I think its fair to say that unless the legislation that makes it cheaper for airports and airlines to lose or damage our luggage than transport it safely and efficiently ever changes then things will always go wrong far too often.

Many thanks to all for your input snowHead
snow report
@swiftoid, Clearly you have had a bad experience and I am unlikely to change your mind. But this is why Jet2 no longer fly to Chambery as the geographical difficulties that afflict all airlines into Chambery were costing them too much money. The reason you had to refuel at Southampton would be due to with weight restrictions at take off (so you would not have taken off without the low fuel load and no skis) either due to a tail wind at take off or temperature (unlikely) when combined with the short runway. You are maybe justified in thinking they are a shambles of a company based on your experience alone but their rapid growth from a couple of aircraft 15 years ago to around a 100 today when many others are failing/have failed points to a successful business model for the 21st Century.
ski holidays
Generally fly with Jet2 to Turin from Man as it is easier and direct. Though amused that one of our party last year flew LGW to Turin for half the cost of our "budget" airline price ! No issues other than it arrives at Turin at the same time as loads of other flights and there is generally a 45-60min wait for the bags.

I have not looked but I assume that we can just take a bag of 22kgs, that just happens to have Skis in it as Daughter coming this year and she has skis. Like@Markymark29, as it is 10mins away, would prefer to go from Leeds but no chance.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@swiftoid, Clearly you have had a bad experience and I am unlikely to change your mind. But this is why Jet2 no longer fly to Chambery as the geographical difficulties that afflict all airlines into Chambery were costing them too much money. The reason you had to refuel at Southampton would be due to with weight restrictions at take off (so you would not have taken off without the low fuel load and no skis) either due to a tail wind at take off or temperature (unlikely) when combined with the short runway. You are maybe justified in thinking they are a shambles of a company based on your experience alone but their rapid growth from a couple of aircraft 15 years ago to around a 100 today when many others are failing/have failed points to a successful business model for the 21st Century.

I didn't have 'a bad experience'. I had several bad experiences. I understand the challenges of flying in and out of Chambery. What annoys me about Jet2 is they understood these challenges too yet still took mine (and lots of other people's money) for a service they knew they were not going to be able to fulfill and then didn't give a toss when they failed to deliver it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could get to Saalbach by flying KLM EDI to Munich, hopping on the train to ZamZ and then taking Postbus to Saalbach. One of our "boys" is planning this for Jan as he can't take the full week and simply book the Crystal package the rest of us have gone for.
snow conditions
Re Jet2, we had probs last year as someone booked in our bags as golf clubs and when we phoned were told that there was no room for skis. Although according to their website our golf clubs could be up to 2m long and weigh 20kgs. We just turned up with our 170cm flat "golf clubs" in the end. No one at check in was bothered.
snow conditions
@Ghost Dog, Probably sent them to La Manga via Malaga though eh?! wink
ski holidays
Ghost Dog wrote:
You could get to Saalbach by flying KLM EDI to Munich, hopping on the train to ZamZ and then taking Postbus to Saalbach. One of our "boys" is planning this for Jan as he can't take the full week and simply book the Crystal package the rest of us have gone for.

Have done that many times and depending on what route it involved at least 2, sometimes 3 changes of train which is a real p.i.a with backpack, luggage and skis. The last time I looked into it there was one direct train out of Munich on a Friday afternoon that was a kind of weekend 'ski special' that went via Kufstein, Kitzbuhel, ZamS, StJimPongau and other points east taking in as many resorts and hubs as possible. Alas it's no use on this occasion.

PS What week in January are you in Saalbach?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 16-08-19 13:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Ghost Dog wrote:
Re Jet2, we had probs last year as someone booked in our bags as golf clubs and when we phoned were told that there was no room for skis. Although according to their website our golf clubs could be up to 2m long and weigh 20kgs. We just turned up with our 170cm flat "golf clubs" in the end. No one at check in was bothered.

I can see how that happened from making the booking the other night. When you click on the sports equipment dropdown only two options come up, golf clubs and skis/boards of which the golf clubs are the first. They've obviously gone to the bother of removing pedal cycles etc from the sports equipment drop down for ski flights so quite why they think anyone would be taking golf clubs to Salzburg in January I don't know, unless they've got some kind of horrible sneak preview of the snow conditions for this winter Puzzled Shocked
ski holidays
robboj wrote:
Ghost Dog wrote:

I can see how that happened from making the booking the other night. When you click on the sports equipment dropdown only two options come up, golf clubs and skis/boards of which the golf clubs are the first. They've obviously gone to the bother of removing pedal cycles etc from the sports equipment drop down for ski flights so quite why they think anyone would be taking golf clubs to Salzburg in January I don't know, unless they've got some kind of horrible sneak preview of the snow conditions for this winter Puzzled Shocked

They'd also removed the skis option, when we booked, golf clubs were the only option!

We're in Saalbach week commencing 18 Jan.
snow report
Ghost Dog wrote:

We're in Saalbach week commencing 18 Jan.

Same week, we are staying with the snowHead TatmansTours. What about you? Presume you will be on the Glasgow charter flight. Maybe arrange a meet up?
ski holidays
A B737-800 when fully loaded with bucket and spaders off on holibobs can require 8000' of runway to get off the ground. Chambery is only 6627', so if the wind is from the wrong direction, or the runway is wet/snowy they HAVE to take off a lot below MTOW. If they don't you'll be going for a swim in the Lac du Bourget should an engine pack up after V1. So there is a compromise between leaving people, baggage or fuel behind.

The same issue happens at Bristol airport. The runway there is only 6598'. Thompson used to use the B757 out of BRS for that reason - the B757 is much better for short(er) field ops. But it's more expensive to operate, so has now been phased out.

And the same reason is why the RAF are unlikely to permenetly base their new P8's (Military 737-700's full of anti submarine kit) at RAF Kinloss - the traditional home of RAF ASW.

In short, flying a full B737 into/out of anywhere with less than 8000' runway will mean things occasionally get left behind. For some reason the holiday brochures skip over that rolling eyes
latest report
Judwin wrote:
A B737-800 when fully loaded with bucket and spaders off on holibobs can require 8000' of runway to get off the ground. Chambery is only 6627', so if the wind is from the wrong direction, or the runway is wet/snowy they HAVE to take off a lot below MTOW. If they don't you'll be going for a swim in the Lac du Bourget should an engine pack up after V1. So there is a compromise between leaving people, baggage or fuel behind.

The same issue happens at Bristol airport. The runway there is only 6598'. Thompson used to use the B757 out of BRS for that reason - the B757 is much better for short(er) field ops. But it's more expensive to operate, so has now been phased out.

And the same reason is why the RAF are unlikely to permenetly base their new P8's (Military 737-700's full of anti submarine kit) at RAF Kinloss - the traditional home of RAF ASW.

In short, flying a full B737 into/out of anywhere with less than 8000' runway will mean things occasionally get left behind. For some reason the holiday brochures skip over that rolling eyes

Many thanks, useful and interesting information there. Edinburgh is 8398 feet and Salzburg is 9022 feet so luggage mishandling apart we 'should' be fine.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy