Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
@franga I would definitely get a car if you're thinking about trying other areas.

Les Gets can be cracking and quiet too. It seems to hold snow surprisingly well despite its low altitude and is well managed. The Ranfolly area and the perrieres piste are particular faves

Mont Chery across the road in Les Gets is a gem too. I know a number of people who rate https://www.lagrandeourse.eu/ for lunch but it's not cheap. The views towards Mont Blanc are stunning.

I very rarely ski Avoriaz these days as it feels like you're going to war ...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
simonopt wrote:
@franga

Very true but equally skiing in Les Gets feels like you're going to sleep! A combo of the two is probably best.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@zzz, you are putting me to sleep (see what I did there). We've been lucky in LG to have snow to the village for the last 5 seasons all through the winter. Seem to be just on the snowline so anything below 1200m is not the same. I never ski in Morzine so don't know how it compares. But I think it's been a good season so far, as I've long lost the motivation to ski every dump.....

The last 3 days have been awesome despite the half term crowds....here's the kid doing his best to have a little fun today. First world problems etc, gotta make the most of it.

Screenshot-2020-02-29-at-00-36-02
Screenshot-2020-02-29-at-00-40-03

@franga make sure you book restaurants in advance, especially for Fri/Sat. Some regular spots in town are Fruitiere de Perriere (fondue), La R'Mize / Flambeau / Pela (classic cosy Savoie), Biskatcha (steaks etc), Becanerie (burgers), Tyrol (pizza).
On the hill, QG (burgers, salads), Rosetta (pizza), Grand Ourse (onion soup, roast hog sundays), Paika (bbq grill), Vaffieu, Chase Montange (fancy) etc....lots of choice

Gonna rain tomorrow evening below 1500, but then 15-20cm mon-tues with snowline down to 1000m
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zzz wrote:
simonopt wrote:
@franga

Very true but equally skiing in Les Gets feels like you're going to sleep! A combo of the two is probably best.

Theres plenty of Adventure to be found in Les Gets for a week, youve got to know which ropes to duck under which ridge to climb and put a little effort in.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mother hucker wrote:
zzz wrote:
simonopt wrote:
@franga

Theres plenty of Adventure to be found in Les Gets for a week, youve got to know which ropes to duck under which ridge to climb and put a little effort in.

Wise words Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, much appreciated!

@polo, thank you for the restaurant recommendations!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Currently snowing in Les Crosets. Wind seems to have died down for now.
Already about 5cm on the car!

Talking about the car...

A long shot but....

Hi all,

Probably a long shot but need some help.

Picked up hire car from Europcar today. Drove from Geneva airport to Les Crosets (PdS). All went well apart from about a 2 miles away from our destination, our flat tyre indicator came on. Pulled over in a small lay-by to discover a completely flat front tyre. I think I must of hit a rock or something as there was a split in the side wall.
Luckily the car had a space spacer. So the quickest tyre change ever was carried out as it wasn’t the best place to stop, but couldn’t drive further on the rim without causing serious damage.

Rather than get rinsed by Europcar for a replacement when I hand the car back on Friday, I’d rather get it changed myself.
So does anyone know of either personally or can point me in the right direction of any decent tyre place/fitter between Champéry and Geneva who could replace a winter tyre on a Ford Focus Estate? Preferably the closer to Champéry the better.

Cheers
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Fridge03, sorry to hear about the tyre. You should check with europcar if you are able to replace the tyre yourself. I understand they may provide break down service GVA GCN take care of this a costs may be claimed from insurance if you have it. Perhaps post a separate topic thread on the forum.

There are tyre places in Monthey once you hit the valley floor after the tunnel. There are also a couple or garages as you head down hill between Trois Torrents and Monthey. Here is a link of a place in Monthey. Good luck.

Pneus Chablais
Avenue du Simplon 7, 1870 Monthey, Switzerland
+41 24 472 32 54
https://goo.gl/maps/w2LUGB63FFQ9XwRc8
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice upgrade on the 12z and the looking out the window model. Easily 20cm at 1500m already, and 10+ at 1200.

But the latest runs suggest another 20-25cm tonight to the valley floor

Tomorrow will be huge and then after some rain on Thursday it looks like another good dump Friday
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can confirm. It’s been chucking it down above 1600 since about 1pm. At least 15cm here in Les Crosets and doesn’t look like stopping.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Couldn’t get up the driveway last night so parked down the road, about 1250m

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
polo wrote:
Couldn’t get up the driveway last night so parked down the road, about 1250m

Rubbish - it’s green below 1500m!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here’s a wider angle. Should be good practice today on the meadows for a visit to proper snowy resort soon

Snowing lightly again
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There was 10" of snow on the car this AM (parked at 1250m).
The snow was down as far as 950m (though not as much).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the pics. Looking good. Have fun.
snow conditions
Way more up higher, 50+cm on ranfoilly, probably biggest single dump of season so far (of light powdery snow at least)

Had some moments with snow over my head when braking.
ski holidays
[quote="polo"]Way more up higher, 50+cm on ranfoilly, probably biggest single dump of season so far (of light powdery snow at least)

Had some moments with snow over my head when braking.[/quote
50cm, its setting up for a good spring season now. Id be lying if i was to say i wasnt concerned but now none what so ever
snow report
Yeah getting on for half a metre of light fluffy fresh up high in Avoriaz today. Day of the season without a doubt. Too deep and fluffy for many who tried to ride less steep bits and ended up with a dig and tiring hike out.

Avalanches all over but idiots going for it none the less. Still, some day
ski holidays
@Nelbert75, yep similar scenes here. 3 of us had the same issue on the very first run down left of Ranfoilly. There were no tracks to bail out onto, so all ended up knee deep and stationary. Amateurs.

Got better on the steeper runs and leaning back a lot.

Amazing how quickly anything in the sun got trashed after just a few hours. Time of year, but has been a feature more so this year it seems.

At least the crowds were ok, by far the quietest of the 3 main half term weeks.
snow report
Really glad to hear it has properly snowed. We are out on the 21st and I was beginning to get quite concerned. I'm also going to Megeve next week, so bodes well for that too Very Happy
ski holidays
Evening all,

Had a top day getting over from the Swiss side into France. Blasted through Avoriaz quite quickly as it was heaving (in comparison to Les Crosets!).
We had some fun around the choucas and fornet before heading over and down the wall back towards home.

Weather is looking sunny and warm for tomorrow. So pistes will probably cut up again as they did today I’d imagine.

We’d like to head back over again tomorrow into France.

Any recommendations we can aim for? Is it worth having a play around the Plaine Dranse area towards Chatel? Will that be a bit quieter than around Avoriaz?

We are quick skiers but is Les Gets and back A, doable and B worth it? Especially with the bus ride across Morzine?
snow report
@Fridge03, i’d go towards Chatel via Plan Dranse

Les Gets is much quieter than Avoriaz, but not worth the trek from Les Crosets
ski holidays
@Fridge03, as per Polo go via Mosette / Linderets but keep going to Linga / Super Chatel / Barbosine area and come back via Morgins. You should still find good untracked powder in the quieter areas past SC and save Plane Dranse for another day as lots of the area will already be tracked out. You’ll need to move fast in the early stages to make the most of the day.
latest report
Thanks guys. Currently sat in the glorious sun having a coffee in Les Combes.

Fantastic morning skiing. Now the suns out properly I expect the pistes to suffer a bit but not as busy today.

Forecast tomorrow is another big dump but strong winds.
latest report
Video from yesterday. Went for the cheesy 80's remix slow-mo edit, but it's really a celebration of getting up early on a powder day for first lifts.
Great day for the dying art of snowboarding, although most of the vid is just the tip of my board plowing the fluff, I did catch a few skiers wiping out at the end.

http://youtube.com/v/jHG5boYc7T8

Weather still on for rain below 2000m tomorrow but a lot of snow to 1000m again on Friday
snow report
@polo, Nice snowHead
snow conditions
@polo, Lez Getts at its best!
latest report
Cheers, was just a few runs around the bowl and chamossiere. Almost straight lined down the black under Grains d’Or. Am usually not good enough / interested in blacks unless there is at least a foot of fresh snow.

Not looking the best today, snowline likely won’t drop much below current level of 1800m until this evening, but the numbers have been steadily climbing all week for Friday....hoping for 25cm down to 1200m
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have just seen that Rock the Pistes is cancelled, due to CV.
snow report
Absolutely chucking it down with wet sleet T Les Crosets which is at 1600m. Hopefully would be snow higher up but everything up high (on this side at least) is shut.

The thigh deep snow I walked through from our apartment on Tuesday is a distance memory as it’s now washed away.

We had two runs. Went up Crosets chair, and it was disgusting. Windy, sleety and the piste not skiing well.

Decided that was enough and headed back in. We leave tomorrow so not the most ideal last day. Hopefully it may snow overnight?
snow report
So the rain turned to snow over night. Woke up to about 10cm at Les Crosets (1600m) so much more up top. They were avi blasting very early and the wind was strong when we left but the rain damage has hopefully been repaired!
ski holidays
Pamski wrote:
I have just seen that Rock the Pistes is cancelled, due to CV.

Crock The Pistes

--- too soon ?
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, I be there solo 13-16 March supporting local businesses and hope to meet up with any snowheads who are at loose ends.
latest report
@Ozboy, Lets go and Support the 7 Peaks Brewery in Morgins
snow report
@WindOfChange, that’s a good shout if we can get there. I arrive 13 lunchtime, meeting a group in Verbier on 14 and skiing Chatel 15+16. Will be in touch on the PDS whatsapp group.
latest report
Disappointing how late the snowline dropped last night, most models were far too optimistic. Only 5cm on the car and 15cm around 1600m. Must be loads more in Avoriaz.

Still another 5cm in models low down tonight hopefully.

Was enough for a great morning on mont chery. Kept lapping the north side and coming down the off piste section to the right of the red run. Steep drop in, but it’s a lovely run with fresh snow.

A mate of mine with far too many skis is off loading some, so my kid tried out the Atomic Automatic 117 wide powder planks with marker bindings. They are in great condition and the kid loved them so seems a good deal at 200eur?

@oz and woc, am around 14-16, let me know if fancy a beer in Morzine maybe
snow conditions
Hi, advice please from those skiing today. I cant make my mind up whether to ski sat sun M-LG and get the benefit of a cheap weekend pass or just Sat? Following the rain yesterday how are the pistes shaping up? Hard/icy or Ok. With some nervous intermediates! Thanks.
latest report
@retsil, pistes are fine, usual March conditions, hard early, softening up after lunch. Plenty of snow fell after the rain so no obvious impact above 1300m
snow conditions
Thanks for the reassurance! Look forward to tomorrow!
ski holidays
Has anyone used Chamexpress for transfers?

Used alpy bus the last trip, which was fine going to the resort, but going back they were grouping people together on to a coach, then doing a coach pick up in Les Gets, so we ended up leaving way too early for a 9pm flight.

Just wondered if Chamexpress are doing something similar? As we only have 4 days skiing, want to maximise our last day before heading back for the 9pm flight.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy