Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
On the subject of restaurants, does anyone have an opinion on the best one in Plaine-Dranse? I normally end up in the one next to the Rosees lift just below Chez Crepy, purely because they show the ski racing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@doddsie, we used to quite like Tâne O'Marmottes. A slightly more eclectic menu than the usual fare. Haven't been in a couple of years.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@zzz, A good bottle of Dôle or Fendant wine makes a long cheese, ham and potato lunch “over the ridge” quite pleasant.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
doddsie wrote:
On the subject of restaurants, does anyone have an opinion on the best one in Plaine-Dranse?

Not sure I've ever eaten there, though Chez Babeth is always worth a visit, just for the experience Smile

If we're over that side we'd generally push on to 'the windmill' restaurant, just down from the top of the Linga gondola. Always enjoy the "This isn't Tartiflette, it's a completely different local dish (that uses the same ingreedients and is cooked exactly the same as Tartiflette)".

I tend to get a bit confused in that area but the little place you have to ski up hill to, I think part way down under the Comebois chair usually has some nice homemade cakes too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mjit wrote:
I tend to get a bit confused in that area but the little place you have to ski up hill to, I think part way down under the Comebois chair usually has some nice homemade cakes too.

Could this be it...

Le Blattin
Unnamed Road,, 74390 Châtel, France
+33 7 84 92 80 25
https://goo.gl/maps/iEAWABgw7M8s8HtA8
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is also a nice little place on Linga, just down from the Windmill but on the right hand side. It’s got a big fire in the entrance and a very 1970s white ( well was white once ) sofa around it. Great hot chocolate with rum
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great sunny day in La Chapelle, over to Torgon and up into Super Chatel. Conditions good though soft in sun and super chatel getting patchy.
Few school groups but generally quiet.
The beginner in our group really enjoyed the greens in La chapelle but the local blues were a bit steeper. In super chatel the blues and refs (really blues?) seemed much easier. For better snow conditions we are thinking of heading over to Linga or PD tomorrow - how would you grade the blues there - are there any in the easy side for a beginner growing in confidence but not ready for steeps?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nickbrad wrote:
There is also a nice little place on Linga, just down from the Windmill but on the right hand side. It’s got a big fire in the entrance and a very 1970s white ( well was white once ) sofa around it. Great hot chocolate with rum

That La Leiche and a regular stop for us. Sofa round the fire is the place to be if it's blowing a hoolie.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ozboy wrote:
@zzz, A good bottle of Dôle or Fendant wine makes a long cheese, ham and potato lunch “over the ridge” quite pleasant.

That would make anything quite pleasant Wink, although this might be frowned upon if skiing in the USofA apparently!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dgschof, There's really only 2 easyish runs into PD. There's the blue from the top of Rochassons, which is wide and pleasant, though make sure you stay left near the bottom where the sign points for debutants to go left. Otherwise there's the road which comes in from the Linga side, accessible either staying left on the blue from Cornebois, or taking the road straight from the Keyset drag lift. The road from PD down to the bottom is very pleasnt, and has a few fun features like mini boxes, and a bell you can ring.
The home run to Linga can get a bit firm towards the bottom, but if you go via Lechere, then its fine.
The blue from Combes is also very nice, as is the itinerarie.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think PLJ area is great for them to progress and feel they are skiing on the ‘big’ slopes. They will be challenged but I assume it’s quiet at the moment and will have plenty of slopes to themselves. Here are some suggested roures starting from the bottom of the PLJ l(not Pierre Longue). From the top of PLJ follow the blue line to bottom of Coombes/Cornebois/Keyset lifts that are next to each other as try one of the owng:

Option 1 - go up Cornebois and do the long blue Blattin 31 and come back.

2. Go up Coombes and back down Blue 29.

3. Up Keyset drag then take the long blue cat track straight ahead all the way to Plane Dranse hamlet and from there go hard right and continue along the green Balette cattrack with the option of switching the red 32 home run when they merge and the road turns right (don’t take 36 PLJ by mistake), or continue along the green. From the bottom ski down past the nursery lifts back to the bottom of PLJ lift and repeat. The Pendrix Blanche reataurant at the bottom is very good meeting place and does generous servings of food.

If that not enough you could also go up Pierre Longue and take Rochasshon and follow the blue over the ridge do to Linderets valley where there are loads of blue runs back into the valley. This is part of Avaoriaz sector and requires a PDS pass.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Intereseting to read peoples comments re restaurants/prices etc. We stayed in Montriond for a week last week, and on the one day we ventured accross Avoriaz way we found the restaurants at Linderats was on average €2 more expensive for a large beer (my standard benchmark measurement) than on the slopes in Morzine. Infact beer aside at one place in Linderats it was €16 for an expresso, white coffee and bottle of coke! It was also twice as busy and lots of out of control people, so we didn't head back, although the skiing is fantastic and sometimes the snow will be better that side. Did love the ski back down to Super-Morzine into the sunset though.

We ate several times at Les Mouilles on the Pleney side of Morzine, the food was great a reasonable and it's a cute place with a couple of dogs wandering around. Ideally placed at the bottom of The Mouilles chairlift for those that want to do extra runs. They also had no problem with 6 children taking up a table to eat packed lunch, although I guess it wasn't a busy time and there was a table of 8 adults eating and drinking to make up for it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Cute dog in Les Mouilles restaurant.

My niece skiing down to Super Morzine under the setting sun Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would treat Chez Babeth with a bit of caution, yes it is a quirky place and the last time we ate there, couple of years ago I suppose, we had the most delicious beef, but we got taken for a ride over the wine ( we were with other people) the magnum she pressed on us was more than two bottles would have been, and the Genepi ‘so kindly offered at the end of the meal’ was then put on the bill.

There again we sheltered in there one summer when the heavens opened and were treated very hospitably and spent quite sometime drinking and reading her papers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pamski wrote:
I would treat Chez Babeth with a bit of caution, yes it is a quirky place and the last time we ate there, couple of years ago I suppose, we had the most delicious beef, but we got taken for a ride over the wine ( we were with other people) the magnum she pressed on us was more than two bottles would have been, and the Genepi ‘so kindly offered at the end of the meal’ was then put on the bill.

There again we sheltered in there one summer when the heavens opened and were treated very hospitably and spent quite sometime drinking and reading her papers.

Yep, we just use it as a mid-morning coffee stop, telling any newbies to take the long way through to the toilets to get the full experience. Sometimes coffee is just coffee but once or twice the waitress with the coffee has been followed by the owner with free shots (though I find Genepi hard work at the best of times so at 11am...ughghgh)
latest report
Chez Babeth, used to go regularly many many years ago. She ripped me off once and I have never been back. Same for Le Terrace in Linderets village.
snow conditions
Like clockwork and zzz's b'day, my mates will arrive 29th to maybe 15-20cm fresh snow.
Last year they came the first week of Feb and got 1.5m....which was way too much for their pathetic off piste skills Very Happy . Wasted a lot of time picking them up when I should have been ripping around all the untracked parts. So this year they've asked for less snow, et voila.

We usually do a few days in Avoriaz / Chatel....thursday and friday next week as pre-booked from the black friday deal, thanks to Denfinella alert.
La Blatin always been a favourite, and one of the Plan Dranse spots above.....I find Avoriaz on slope food unreliable. Pretty spoilt in LG as can't think of a single place to avoid....maybe the Yeti as it's generally rammed and a bit greasy.

Anyway, looking forward to not seeing any tourists, happy valley etc....might try Torgon / Morgins as well as I've never skied there. Let me know if any must do area's / runs, especially as the off piste should be in play. Though again, nothing too far from a piste as these lads are better off on carpet.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 24-01-20 17:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@zzz, I think there are so many places you can go to that if you get ripped off you just don’t return.
We were over charged with I felt in the place on the left half way down Linga for two cups of coffee. Told a friend, who went there, also got overcharged, so I asked him why he had been having told him....
ski holidays
@polo, I reckon you are onto something about end JAN start or Feb snowfalls. Last year took us 25 hours to travel from Heathrow on 31 Jan to Chatel due to cancelled and delayed flights due to snow / fog at GVA and general chaos driving up the Pas du Morgins on the day of crazy snowfalls and Avoriaz being placed on 5/5 avalanche alert at some point. We are hopefully tempting fate again as flying again next Friday for a long weekend.

I really recommend a trip to Torgon are furgbr to La Chapelle - it’s all fairly straightforward once you get there. It’s a long way from Les Gets and I reckon you might be better off driving to La Chapelle if you can to better spend time in that area including Barbossine and Super Chatel. Otherwise it will probably be and out-and-back with not a lot in between.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, always park at Ardent and head straight over via PD to Chatel.....I guess Torgon is doable, and then Morgins the next day
ski holidays
@polo, Yes good plan - Its quite a vast area but also chilled around Togon and some good runs from both sides that lead to the shipping containing cafe. I also enjoy doing quick laps of the new fast Morclan lift heading down the steep Chemillion reds and black from the top.
ski holidays
@polo, If you get straight up from Ardent, straight up Chaux Fleurie and then straight over to Linga I reckon you would be at Super Chatel in less than 90 minutes. That would leave time for you to get to La Chapelle via Torgon (another 90 minutes) and plenty of time for a play around. Back the same way or you could try heading up to Chalet Neuf, down to Morgins and round the Swiss side to Les Crosets. So long as you get up Swiss Mossettes or Grand Conche before they close you are downhill all the way to your car at Ardent.

Envious.
snow report
all sounds good thx.....will try above suggestions.
We'll go at a decent pace, not enough for the whole circuit, due to importance of a good long lunch and possible off piste interludes. Will send pics Cool
snow report
Thanks @ozboy and @crosbie, fingers crossed they'll be ok. Both go to nursery and Family are supposed to be excellent.
The eldest first year skiing, doing a morning everday then back to creche with the other 3 year olds

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 26-01-20 20:25; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Chalet Neuf to Morgins will be very marginal until new snow arrives. Downloading the chair may already be necessary
ski holidays
Wepowder view is optimistic

SCREENSHOT-2020-01-24-AT-22-45-02
snow report
Chalet neuf to morgins there is no snow at the bottom and this week you have to download the last chair. Perhaps better to do the circuit anticlockwise at the moment though currently have to take both new chairs to cross from super chatel to linga
latest report
"no snow", "download" Puzzled

I took a good chunk out of the board (again) by sliding across some bare tree roots and mud last weekend at the bottom of Mont Chery. I am expecting much better things on my holiday to Chatel.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big Thanks @windofchange & @ozboy
I popped over yesterday to do a reccy (after a frustrating time trying to get to Morgins from super chatel - looking for Pistes that we’re actual non existent/closed (as said above chairlift download only).

Had great fun on the long blues and reds and then over the Avoriaz side and up to Cookie Cafe etc.
The blues around the Stash were rammed compared to Chapelle and chatel and getting quite cut up late afternoon. Snow cover / softness much better PlJ and Avoriaz side compared to Chatel though where even highest reds/blacks without cannon are now quite brown. Still, the bluebird days and great scenery plus plenty of great piste skiing will tide us over Happy

BTW - looking at the Chatel Liberty membership - looked to be 10e and then discounts on pass prices - hard to find out how to join in website when looking on iPhone- anyone know more, esp if can get from the kiosk?
latest report
doddsie wrote:
On the subject of restaurants, does anyone have an opinion on the best one in Plaine-Dranse? I normally end up in the one next to the Rosees lift just below Chez Crepy, purely because they show the ski racing.

I'd say chez crepy is the best restaurant in plaine dranse. You need to book, during the busy weeks and they don't answer the phone between 11 and 2. Also, you should try to get there before the plat du jour runs out, as it can be stellar. I had an excellent beef wellington there for 26e once. Try to book a table upstairs as I reckon it's quieter and more relaxing than downstairs, which can be a bit of a canteen.
latest report
There's a new Ranfoilly live cam on the LG site, useful to check coverage at 1400m in the bowl, snowing lightly

https://www.lesgets.com/webcams.html
ski holidays
Here now, at the bottom of the Montriond lift. Thought I'd post a message to reassure those going out worried about the snow, as I too have stared at this thread concerned. There's plenty, it's icy in very few places and it's snowing heavily at the Swiss Wall where we just came down from and moderate snow here. Visibility poor but perfectly skiable.
latest report
Heading out to Morzine on Wednesday as a group of 10. Should be in resort at lunchtime to collect skis from inter sport by super morzine lift before heading straight up it. I stayed in Les Gets 7 yrs ago so not too knowledgeable about the area, but know that side better. Group consists of 8 competent red run skiers, one comfortable on blues and one nervous beginner.

Any suggestions for appropriate routes? We usually aim to all meet up for lunch (beginner has lessons booked) with at least one day being a bigger trip - I fancy heading to Switzerland! What reds does the blue run skier need to avoid?

Also a bit concerned about the forcast rain
snow conditions
Back late last night from our trip.

Arrived Friday 17th and first day was up to a foot of fresh powder, blue skies. Perfect.

The girlfriend had lessons with New Gen Mon-Fri 2 hours a day in Morzine, and that gave me time to blast around on my own, and on the Thursday I had a private lesson with Alessandro from Supreme Ski School. He was very good, would recommend.
New Gen seem to be missing a key level within their grading systems. You go from level 3 which is, just starting to parallel turn on blue runs, to level 4 which is looking to become more comfortable for parallel turns on reds. Girlfriend was at a comfortable turns on blue stage, but just getting used to red runs. Quite a large gap between the two levels in my view.

We both have our own boots, and I also have skis, but she rented skis using Action Sport, just on the main road near the Pleney. Would definitely recommend them. The owner was a really nice guy, and they also have ski and boot overnight storage, and he let me keep my own stuff their as well. This meant we had a really easy 10 minute walk in the morning in normal shoes, and no lugging gear around!

Pistes held up really well, considering it was pretty warm most days, and no fresh snow after the first night, but as we finished our skiing yesterday, it was snowing up in Avoriaz, not sure it will have amounted to a huge amount though, but looks like more to come this week.

Dropped my CV in to an accountants that deal with a lot of English speaking TO's/Apartment owners etc, but given my lack of French, i'm not overly hopeful that will amount to anything...

Used Alpy bus for our transfers, they're pretty cheap so hard to complain, but on the way to Morzine we had to drop a member of staff off in Le Biot, so that slowed down the journey a bit, but not ridiculously so. Then journey home, we had a 21.05 flight, the transfer picked us up in resort at 15.25, then someone else in Montriond, before we met a coach in Montriond, back to Les Gets to pick up some more and then on to the Airport, ended up taking 2.5 hours, which considering the normal drive was quite long, but that's the joys of cheap shared transfers.

Flight ended up being delayed about an hour, and Bristol Airport seemed to take what felt like an age to get bags out, so didn't en up leaving the airport until 23.30, but fairly minor problems really in the grand scheme of things.

Back out again March 18th - 22nd, but this time staying in Avoriaz, and the girlfriend is being swapped out for a mate instead, much to her disgust. Twisted Evil
latest report
Wow - impressive Meteo France accumulation forecast for Chatel with 75 cms forecast for very top of Avoriaz for Tuesday.

latest report
@swskier,
Thank you but you have failed to mention where and when you went to the toilet!
ski holidays
Pissing it down in with rain in Les gets at 11.30 to night on way back to chalets
snow report
Many of the lifts linking the PdS resorts might be closed today (due to the high winds), but in resort skiing should continue.
It's snowing lightly at 1250m now, but very windy.
snow conditions
Grim in Morzine this morning. No sign of a snow line from my window and blowing a hooley.
Snow line forecast to drop as the day goes on.
latest report
@zzz, no overnight snow here either. But starting lightly now ... doigts croissees!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy