Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks all that’s some great beta , think mt chery sat pm is a great call , then drive to ardent first thing Sunday to get ahead , loads to go at From there , would love to have a go at the circuit but will see how it goes , also plan on a bit of time in the park at avoriaz
Hopefully a small freshen up of snow before next weekend snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ozboy, I have done the Col Du PdS on a board a few times, without unclipping.
The top is the road that goes above LC, then it becomes a piste for a short bit and you turn left through the Col rather than carrying on straight towards Champoussin and the Defago. After a few turns you go past the bar / resto and it becomes a track again. The Defago feeds in from the RHS after a few hundred meters, and you just follow the gentle track down to Morgins.
Abricotine on a board is fine too, but it's easiest to break left and go up Brochaux before it flattens out, then take Combe a Florets down to Ardent as this misses out the Lindarets plateau. There's a walking trail above Morgins / Champery called the Contrabandiers (Smugglers) I have never done it, but have seen skiers heading towards it from the Pt De L'Au.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WindOfChange, do you know if the runs to Grand Paradis have any snowmaking (I suspect not as they're itineraries)? We'll be there in a couple of weeks and just wondering what's the likelihood that they might open then if there's not a natural snowfall before then.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No the runs to Grand Paradis don't have snow making. They require good snow levels to be open and remain closed for a lot of the season.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@doddsie, Never been out towards Planachaux and Grand Paradis. Is it worth the trip when there is show and am I right to think that it can be reached directly from the bottom of the Swiss Wall without having to take any more lifts (piste map not too clear)?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Look forward to trying out the new bit off Abricotine! We always park in Ardent and usually finish a visit with a non-stop run from Pointe Des Mosettes down to the car park.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ozboy, You just go up the lift which has a T bar next to a button by the side of the Swiss wall (Ripaille). There's a couple of quaint bar / restos on the first pitch, and generally the snow is good up there as its high. You cross the valley and then continue all the way down to the bottom. You have to pole the last couple of KM so I stay away on my board. You can also get to it by taking the 8X magic carpet chair, going across towards Planachaux chair and just carrying on down (or like you ask by carrying on from the foot of the wall), but for me the best bit is on the Ripaille section.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pdsguy, At the moment the new bit is a bit bumpy in places, and even though you are a couple of years younger than me you won't be shussing it like Abricotine Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some(all?)of the above mentioned runs are long but largely flat. As Shep said, with a max altitude of 2200m at the highest lift you are struggling for “denivelation”, perhaps 1000m at best. That’s just how it is.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WindOfChange, got it thanks.. looking at the map the Ripaille run is shown as a dotted red line - any idea what is meant by the dots?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ozboy wrote:
@WindOfChange, got it thanks.. looking at the map the Ripaille run is shown as a dotted red line - any idea what is meant by the dots?
It's the other side of the hill.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skied around Chatel today, pistes surprisingly good, off chalky, unless south facing then refrozen and downright nasty.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Idris wrote:
Ozboy wrote:
It's the other side of the hill.
Ah! I see it now - there are only so many ways a piste map artist can distort the true terrain to show every run.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ozboy - After the drag lift the first bit is a lot of fun and passes two nice restaurants, one of which will tow you back up by ski-doo if there's no snow lower down. The rest is a long slow path winding through the forest. Worth doing once, just to take a look, but choose a day when the pistes are icy and fast, so you don't have to do any poling.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ozboy, If you tuck low enough on Abricotine you can just about avoid poling.

The run Col PDS to Morgins starts well but does have some very flat bits.

As @doddsie mentions top or Hauts Forts to Prodains fits the bill, either Coupe du Monde (is this now called Jean Vuarnet) , Arete des Intrets, the itineraire or combinations of bits. Non stop it will certainly make your legs ache.
ski holidays
@DJL, will try adopting the alternate tuck position of sitting on the tails of the skis, preferred by teenagers, but afraid I may not be able to get up again.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, the biggest difference in wind resistance is in your arms, so hold your hands behind your back and half tuck a la cross country racers. 2/3s effect for 1/4 effort.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
@Ozboy, If you tuck low enough on Abricotine you can just about avoid poling.

The run Col PDS to Morgins starts well but does have some very flat bits.

As @doddsie mentions top or Hauts Forts to Prodains fits the bill, either Coupe du Monde (is this now called Jean Vuarnet) , Arete des Intrets, the itineraire or combinations of bits. Non stop it will certainly make your legs ache.

Sounds good , will have to avoid the flatter long runs as my boy in his board will not be pleased
latest report
are the snowcross crozats / itineraries at all skiable atm ???
snow conditions
doddsie wrote:
Ozboy - After the drag lift the first bit is a lot of fun and passes two nice restaurants, one of which will tow you back up by ski-doo if there's no snow lower down. The rest is a long slow path winding through the forest. Worth doing once, just to take a look, but choose a day when the pistes are icy and fast, so you don't have to do any poling.

Incidentally, does anyone know the names and/or opening periods of these two restaurant/cafes down the Ripaille red run (scenic route)?

As for ideal snow conditions for this, I think a good dump is best - and a powder board.
ski holidays
@crosbie, one of them is called Lapisa. Not sure about the other
snow report
@DJL, I recognise the Alpage Lapisa from its photos. I've had a coffee there. Not eaten tho. From research perhaps the lower place is called 'Restaurant Buvette des Clavets'? If so, it's the one that I've wondered about (that was closed last two times I popped by). Perhaps it's a summer only place?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 9-01-20 8:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@crosbie, the one where the narrow track starts? Certainly been open in winter when I’ve done the run.
snow report
Dabber wrote:
are the snowcross crozats / itineraries at all skiable atm ???

Yes
latest report
@DJL, the photos here agree with you: tripadvisor.com/Les Clavets
latest report
Looks like a good dump of snow is forecast for a few days from Friday 17th, according to the Jet2ski's forecast.

Are these reliable? Anyone use a better forecast site? I understand the weather can change in a heartbeat and no forecast is ever greatly accurate.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 9-01-20 9:28; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@Roscoe, no forecast is really reliable until a few days out...there are hints of something around that timescale but it could as easily be nothing if the high remains.
snow report
@Roscoe, best local forecast IMV is Chamonix Meteo.

I also like meteoblue for trend tracking.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Roscoe, I use Meteo France and the Meteo Ski apps to get a general feel and and also their accumulations web page leading upto a snow event.

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/avoriaz/74110

There is also Chatel Snow Report and it’s linked forecast page which provides a manual assessment of the current conditions and forecast. It’s run by a local Chatel guy who is ex UK BOM and he trawls over the various charts to provide a blended estimate with local knowledge.

https://www.chatelsnowreport.com/
latest report
@Ozboy, is the Chatel one good then? Nothing like (skilled) human intervention plus local experience (hence Chamonix Meteo’s advantages, admittedly diluted the more valleys over you are Happy )
ski holidays
@under a new name, Yes I think it’s excellent as it’s run by a weather man. There are updates throughout the day especially during a snow event. All done on a shoe string and they accept small donations in order to maintain the site. Supporters get access to Whatsapp group where there are weather updates, photos and general PDS info sharing and banter by members.
snow report
I know it's not scientific but it's my birthday on Jan 18th and it nearly always shows around that date, seriously..
snow conditions
I've found Chas' snow forecasts (follow the "snow forecast" link from https://www.chatelsnowreport.com/) pretty accurate but mountains so anything can happen.

The thing that is really useful is the snow report. He is out round the area pretty much every day, either on his snowboard or trail running and the snow reports are absolutely accurate and honest. Extra advantage for me is that his usual trail run comes right past our apartment and up above Petit Chatel.
snow report
@Idris, Hi Idris. Was your comment on south facing slopes being nasty about off piste or pistes? Thanks.
ski holidays
If anyone fancies a days introduction to touring, there's a chap (Dave) organising one from SnowPros skis school on the 21st of Jan in Morgins (La Foilleuse side).
Its 80 Chf and they have a deal with a local sports shop to hire kit for the day 50-70 Chf.
I am thinking of hiring a split board and giving it a go if it snows between now and then.
snow report
@zzz, happy birthday in a few days then. David’s is 1st February and generally quite a white birthday too. Particularly so five years ago, quite a big birthday, huge snowfalls arrived for the weekend along with all our grown up kids totally unexpected to him. Fingers crossed the same for you and him this year.
latest report
@WindOfChange, sadly am not around otherwise would have done it. Morgins has caught onto the increased interest and publish a dedicated map of touring routes graded blue to black.
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
I know it's not scientific but it's my birthday on Jan 18th and it nearly always shows around that date, seriously..

Well it's at least as scientific as "it'll snow on the full moon" - half of those are in the summer ffs! rolling eyes wink

Have a great birthday if I don't see you before! Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

@pdsguy, At the moment the new bit is a bit bumpy in places, and even though you are a couple of years younger than me you won't be shussing it like Abricotine

@WindOfChange I'll do my best! Quick question - have you been out at Praz de lys in the last couple of years? What's it like? Tempted to go and have a look when we are out at the end of next week
snow conditions
@zzz, happy birthday , and I can confirm it will coincide with a massive snow fall down to road levels as im driving in that day and it always snows on my route snowHead so looks like things are going be ok
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy