Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
@DJL, +1!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coffee and Cake at Les Aiguillettes at Col de Braitaz. Best in the PDS and a great view from the terrace if sunny (and a good reason to go inside if foul).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The construction of the new Morclan lift seems to be going well. The top station is now built and and many pylons are set which can be seen on the following webcam link. I am also looking forward to seeing the run that will be built in the open area under the chair to take skiers directly back to the Super Chatel area which should be be a good upgrade to this sector. The slow 3-person Conche chair is due for replacement next summer and is planned to take skiers further up the mountain and will provide direct access to the Chalet-Neuf sector.

http://m.webcam-hd.com/chatel/chatel_morclan/chatel_morclan1
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pointes des mossettes this morning....not particularly early, or useful, but nice to see nonetheless.

Screenshot-2019-10-07-at-09-16-15

Potential for things to get more interesting on Wednesday though....here's the latest model guesstimates for Avoriaz:

GFS 21cm to 2000m approx

WRF 28cm, mostly at 1900m, but a few flakes possible to 1600m

ECM 15cm to 2100m

Will add a few more in when the short term models like Arome and Arpege update later
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just got a letter through from Chatel Skipass to say that the 4V and Altesch passes can now be collected Tues-Thurs from the Lac De Vonnes lift pass office for those who purchased their PdS season pass through the Chatel portal. You need to take along your confirmation e-mail and hands free passes.
This is where they scored over SERMA in previous years, as SERMA do not open up till December.
So if there's snow in Verbier in November you can't get you pass from SERMA, but you can from Chatel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@WindOfChange, Thanks for the heads up. do you know if these free additional passes apply for the April early bird €495 offer?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As Far as I know, it applies to all season PdS passes.
We ought ours in the March 30th Offer for €499 (Was that called April early bird?).
We got one of the teenager ones 2 weeks ago before the price went up from 380 - 465.
Interestingly enough, as that was bought recently, they put the free passes in the envelope with the hands free card for that one.
It's only for the ones purchased way back when that we need to collect.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WindOfChange, I called it early bird but I think it was actually a limited pre-release. I am hoping to get to Chatel in November and will collect the passes then. Just been googling Aletsch and its a 2 hour drive from Chatel but looks good for a special day trip on a sunny spring day as quite high but looks exposed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ozboy, Took us just under 2h to Riederalp, but you can enter via Morel, which is about 15 mins nearer. We stayed up on the top in the Jungfrau hotel in Fiescheralp overnight, and had from 11-5 the first day and from 9-4 the second. It was a great weekend.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
looking at the amara webcam. Theres a big cliff/rock face as you look down the valley. Does anyone know if that gets multi pitched?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just got booked for 22-26 Jan in between Chapelle and Chatel with large group of mostly int/adv folk. BUT we have a beginner with us. Hopefully pre and on trip lessons will help. However i foresee an issue - looks like plenty of suitable terrain around Chapelle/Super Chatel and Linga but when the rest of us want to head over the top to Lindarts and onwards, (or beyond Morgins on the Swiss side) it looks like you have to tackle a red to get home ie back down to Morgins/more likely from top of Chaux Flurie to Plaine Dranse. Appreciate it will depend on what level/confidence they get too but any top tips on easiest route back or is it best not to tempt them to try! Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ah ha newer piste map shows a blue down - still welcome advise on how scary to a newbie that blue is!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dgschof, The first 100 meters from the top of the Chaux F lift until the blue splits to the right and the red to the left can be a bid intimidating, crowded and sometimes with bumps. The blue thereafter is fairly gentle until the last bit into plaine dranse where it becomes a narrow track/road but you can safely snow plough that bit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dgschof, perhaps the best bet is for them to take a lesson or two when they first arrive out of Pre La Joux so they can become orientated with slopes to their ability. There is also a very nice long green (and/or a easy red that will get them down from Plain Dranse - the top or the red is steep but can be joined from the green 1/3 down. Our 4yo is able to ski to Lunderets and back from PLJ.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is one for the PdS locals/experts.

I've noticed it is cheaper to buy a PdS ski pass in Euros from the French based resorts vs Champery/Morgins etc in CHF. Is there anything preventing you from buying the PdS pass from a French ski resort online and starting the week from a Swiss resort?

By prevent I mean - the pass needs to be validated (first lift use) in a french resort etc.
snow conditions
@extremerob, Our 2019/2020 season passes bought online from Chatel state that the first use must be from a French resort.
In the same way that the 1st use of a pass you have to go through a specific turnstile ( so you get photographed ), the other turnstiles do not work. It's pretty easy to enforce as it's not a massive ball-ache ( if its not too busy ) to go across to the adjacent turnstile.
It would take a real d1ck of a liftie not to let you through and tell you to drive round to France. Depending on how much you stand to save, you could just buy the cheapest 5 hour lift ticket from CH, ski across to France and then use the other one ( though that might wipe out your cash saving Smile )
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
@extremerob, Our 2019/2020 season passes bought online from Chatel state that the first use must be from a French resort.
In the same way that the 1st use of a pass you have to go through a specific turnstile ( so you get photographed ), the other turnstiles do not work. It's pretty easy to enforce as it's not a massive ball-ache ( if its not too busy ) to go across to the adjacent turnstile.
It would take a real d1ck of a liftie not to let you through and tell you to drive round to France. Depending on how much you stand to save, you could just buy the cheapest 5 hour lift ticket from CH, ski across to France and then use the other one ( though that might wipe out your cash saving Smile )

Yep I can see that text about the must be used on the french side on the Chatel website - but didn't see it on the Les Gets or Morzine website.

That being said dug a little deeper and it is the t&c's of the lift company:

Quote:
L’usager devra faire sa première montée sur le secteur français pour les forfaits Portes du Soleil.

Well the saving per person is probably not worth the hassle/stress. - thanks for pointing it @WindOfChange
snow report
@extremerob, reasonably sure you have to start in the country of purchase to prevent this very shenanigan.
snow conditions
Thanks @bergenbergen & @ozboy much appreciated. For the short trippers (sadly no season pass on horizon this side of retirement) I notice the good deals on sat or sat/sun on the local area websites. Will see if they might save us some money.
Love the research and booking bargains...now the wait :-/
ski holidays
@dgschof, the Espace Liberté pass (Chatel, Torgon, La Chapelle) is great value and includes a vast area which is not well proportionally presented on the piste map. As such it is generally quiet and rustic due to lifts are older or drags. There is plenty to keep an group busy for a couple of days and good restaurants. You could start at Super Chatel where your beginner friends will be very happy. Enjoy!

https://www.chatel.com/medias/images/info_pages/espace-liberte-2018-2019-v5-avec-logo-chatel-bd-10224.pdf
latest report
I've just picked up some cheap flights 17th Jan for 2 nights, landing in GVA at 11am. My plan (assuming snow is good) is drive to Les Gets and ski the afternoon of Fri 17th, then stay in Morzine for 2 nights.

A couple of quick questions.

1. Is there an afternoon pass available, or would I be better purchasing a 3 day pass for Portes du Soleil?
2. Are there any recommended hotels/apartments in Morzine that do short stays?

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
Links to pass prices here, there is an afternoon pass for Les Gets/Morzine

https://www.lesgets.com/envie-de/glisse/forfaits.html
snow report
In other PdS news:

The Les Gets ski area will see its snowmaking capacity increase from 35% to 50% coverage of the ski area, thanks to the construction of the Renardière hill reserve. With a water capacity of 76,000 cubic meters (porduction of ~150,000 cubic meters of snow), this reservoir will make the most frequented areas of the resort more reliable from the beginning of the season increasing areas covered by snow-cannons from 60 ha to 85ha.

In additions to the new lift Morclan in Chatel that @Ozboy earlier mentioned, a third connection is being opened between Avoriaz and Champery, which involves two new lifts, he first chairlift will replace the current three-seater chairlift at La Léchère with a six-seater detachable unit that is much more efficient. The second chairlift, Les Cases, also a six-seater, will double the four-seater Mossettes Express on a new route less exposed to the wind.
ski holidays
@kitenski,
Rhodos Hotel, Hideout Hostel, LÀubergarde with (mountain mavericks) Chalet Sherpa with Jollygood holidays are options.
Also if your comfortable leaving it late to sort accommodation.......Riders Refuge do Sunday changeovers and Im very confident they will have a bedroom spare across one of their chalets if you drop them a line at nearer the time. Plus lots of other Sunday changeover Chalet companies too.
If you want to be right near the slopes try Les lans or Prodains hotel (both up at Prodains) and great for accessing Avoriaz and Swiss side of Pds.
snow report
Quote:

In other PdS news:

Also a new piste for Les Gets. Bleue Des Perrieres which the Departmental Council has contributed 186,000 euros
snow report
@@247snowman, @Timc, thanks. Will probably book late and see what the snow/forecasts look like. Pretty sure 17th Jan is very low season so leaving it late should be ok!
snow conditions
@kitenski, accom unlikely to be an issue.

Why Morzine in particular?
ski holidays
@under a new name, it's close to Geneva is the main thing, so I can land at 11am and be skiing in the afternoon. Don't like Chamonix disconnected area/buses/having to park at each ski area before you suggest it Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, wasn't nec going to wink just seemed a very specific question for a low season pov.

Defo wait and see where's the snow.
snow conditions
@under a new name, yup definitely waiting but I want somewhere within an hour of gva, with decent skiing, and a few bars/restaurants . Although morzine is low I can get straight up to avoriaz from memory so it’s probably near the top of my short list!!
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@under a new name, yup definitely waiting but I want somewhere within an hour of gva, with decent skiing, and a few bars/restaurants . Although morzine is low I can get straight up to avoriaz from memory so it’s probably near the top of my short list!!

Two routes up to Avoriaz from Morzine available, either way, you'll be up the in around half an hour, and don't need to come down to Morzine until the end of the day if needs be.
ski holidays
@swskier, 3 routes ... if you count Ardent-Lindarets, which is advantageous for Linga and CH
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@swskier, 3 routes ... if you count Ardent-Lindarets, which is advantageous for Linga and CH

Very true, didn't think of that
snow conditions
@swskier, it's often overlooked.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

And faster options from there to get to Mosette ridge with the new lifts now in place.
snow conditions
I was there mountain biking in the summer and there was full on construction of the new Lechere and Cases lifts up the valley to the Swiss border from Les Lindarets. Properly disturbed my ride up the Mossettes lift (my happy place) it did wink. Not sure I quite get it to be honest as I never saw the need to use the old Lechere lift (up prolays and down the blue) and didn't really ever queue at Mossettes lift either. The new Cases red might be a nice addition though.
ski holidays
@kitenski, there's also a Mont Chery only day pass for 21eur. I'm up most weekends, snow depending, happy to scoot around a few favourite spots

GFS going for 50cm in Avoriaz from Sunday night to Wednesday, and even more after that but not reliable. ECM below has 30-40cm at 1800m by Tuesday. Further down the valley towards SJD might only see 5cm.
Short term models not in range yet, so these are very general numbers.

xx-model-en-339-0-modez-2019103100-168-888-108-1
snow conditions
polo wrote:
@kitenski, there's also a Mont Chery only day pass for 21eur. I'm up most weekends, snow depending, happy to scoot around a few favourite spots

GFS going for 50cm in Avoriaz from Sunday night to Wednesday, and even more after that but not reliable. ECM below has 30-40cm at 1800m by Tuesday. Further down the valley towards SJD might only see 5cm.
Short term models not in range yet, so these are very general numbers.

xx-model-en-339-0-modez-2019103100-168-888-108-1

now that would be nice 50cm to kick start the base,
snow conditions
on the ground locals, are the peaks white
up in Avoriaz yet?
snow report
Top of mont chery at 1800 was turning white a few hours ago, and looking at Avoriaz webcams there was snow on the rooftops in the afternoon, but mostly the coverage is at 2100-2400m.
Recent forecasts have less snow this week, maybe 20-30cm possible at 1800m, but definitely staying cold until next weekend. ECM this morning had Avoriaz at -11c next Sat, but drier as it gets colder.

Lot's of variation in snowfall amounts - it's very marginal how much snow will get across to the north side of the main ridge. Some models have almost nothing, some have steady light snowfall every day. Reckon I'll get up there midweek for a good look around.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy