Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
Woke up to a few cm of wet snow in the village and lot of blasting throughout the night. Blasting still going now.

Unorthodox method to clear a flood.

It's now snowing moderately to way below village level. Forecast until Tuesday is a heavy rain-snow-rain-snow rollercoaster at village level, but it should be much better on the hill.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 21-12-19 8:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Woke up to rain in Morzine and what looks like low cloud. Hope it’s better up at Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The chatel/PDS WhatsApp Xmas group is now quorate with 3 Chatelois, 1 col de corbierois and 1 Morzinois.

All from all corners of PDS are welcome. DM me your mobile number if you'd like to join.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 21-12-19 12:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd love to join but am suffering the loss of a pet......tough times, I might write about it some day, but for now am focused on family. Stay safe everyone
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best wishes @polo
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Up from Morzine to Avoriaz, snow from about 1300m.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Afternoon in the Super Chatel area, partly with@snoozeboy. A bit of everything, snow, zero visibility in the clouds, fresh snow up top (20cm-ish), even got some sunshine.

Very quiet and lifties seemed happy to see customers.

Quite a bit closed (both runs down Barbossine, both blacks from Morclan, Morgins Corbeau sector, Chermeu drag lift) maybe more will open tomorrow.

Geneva airport trip now.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DJL, one reason it may have been quiet was that the interactive ski map is still reporting the entire Super Chatel / Morgins / La Chapelle / Torgon sector as closed. Is there a reliable source for seeing which lifts and pistes are open on each day?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some nice off piste this afternoon, after a fairly miserable morning of white out
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for a reliable source of open pistes / lifts - I used the PDS app last week and it regularly reported pistes and lifts closed that were open. At this early stage in the season this was a real pain and limited where I went unfortunately. That said I had a great time and I'm sure the snow this weekend will make for some great Christmas skiing (higher up the mountain).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just downloaded that app, it doesn’t have great reviews in the App Store and not sure Ill use it on the mountain... why not just go to their website?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@denfinella, I just asked at the ticket counter when I bought my pass. Links to Torgon were open but Morgins (Corbeau) closed. Chermeu lift at Super Châtel wasn't working which was a bit inconvenient.

There is a page somewhere on the Châtel website but it isn't 100% reliable.

Snowheads beerski WhatsApp (as above) probably best bet today!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@denfinella, I just asked at the ticket counter when I bought my pass. Links to Torgon were open but Morgins (Corbeau) closed. Chermeu lift at Super Châtel wasn't working which was a bit inconvenient.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blasted mobiles!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snoozeboy wrote:
The chatel/PDS WhatsApp Xmas group is now quorate with 3 Chatelois, 1 col de corbierois and 1 Morzinois.

All from all corners of PDS are welcome. DM me your mobile number if you'd like to join.

room for any more? if im avaliable i'll come for a ski/pint im in Morzine for the next 2 weeks.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:

This is the most reliable lift status for Chatel and updated throughout the day.

https://app.infonet-online.fr/pdf/espaceliberte.pdf
latest report
@DJL, all well and good, but if there's no way of getting real time information throughout the day then that's quite annoying. Progressive openings, technical faults etc. In most large ski areas the lift company updates the list throughout the day. The PdS's one is at http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=pds&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr but it's not great to say the least! Maybe it's just an early season blip.

The list on the Chatel site is better - would be good to have the same for other parts of the domain though.

Anyway, enough of my complaining. Sounds like conditions out there are promising, and improving.
ski holidays
Peeing down in Morzine tonight Sad
ski holidays
@Ozboy, thanks for the link. That's useful!
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:

room for any more? if im avaliable i'll come for a ski/pint im in Morzine for the next 2 weeks.

Come one, come all. Pm me your mobile number.
latest report
Just back from GVA. Heavy rain from Thonon to GVA and then all the way back round the N side of the lake. Turned to sleet approaching Morgins and proper snow over the pass (0C at the top). Seemed to be a bit more snow the Chatel side.
ski holidays
Unceasing snow in Avoriaz; windy up top and the highest lifts like Cases are closed.
latest report
heavy rain down in Morzine but pleney and above heavy snow very windy. Found some wind slabby powder. Viz not great.
latest report
Les Gets had wind driven sleet this morning and lunchtime. Hamlet of Les Prodains has had fluffy snow for the last hour.
ski holidays
Mostly snow at PLJ, rain lower down, hard to gauge depth with the wind moving it around but at least 20cm at top of PLJ chair which was as high as you could get on the lifts. Poor visibility and coffee stop welcome. Just about worth going out. Imagine there will have been plenty up top.
snow conditions
Anyone wanting to meet for a relaxed ski Champery/Chantel/Avoriaz in last 2 weeks of January?
Mostly on-piste.
snow conditions
Horrid sleet in Les Gets today so we headed up to Avoriaz. Visibility was non existent and many runs and lifts were closed. I can cope with poor visibility, but the wind was another matter. ferocious, at times almost impossible to go forward into, and full of stinging ice. On the plus side, lots of fresh snow on piste was beautiful. Hot chocolate/coffee/beer in la Poya at 11.30. Then we headed home as my three DDs allegedly had to study for exams in Jan. Studying mainly seemed to involve closed eyes... must be some new revision technique. New beer in La Poya, La Bete, on the strong side but really delicious, worth a stop for.

But all's well that ends well, gentle snowfall here in Les Gets tonight, already a couple of centimetres on the road, with a promise of a lovely snowy day here tomorrow.
latest report
Thanks @Wrekingirl, I might try to go up Pleney for my last day tomorrow to see what M/LG is like. It was too wet earlier but I can try this time. My phone says it will just about snow rather than sleet. Is the base ok? Will you and @Mother hucker, @anarchicsaltire, be around?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steady snow at village level in Morzine this evening. Roads have a few cm so if visibility is better it should be a very good day tomorrow.
ski holidays
I think you may be optimistic about the visibility improving as the forecast is snow all day today.

That said, less snow than expected overnight. Only about 5cm on the ground here in Chatel at 1200m. Hopefully there's more up the hill.

Edit: it's getting light now and the cloud is patchy so you might get visibility from time to time.
ski holidays
Morzine town is white this morning. Snow varying between small and large flakes.
latest report
Hey guys im staying near the Port du Soleil for the first time and with some family members who are first time skiiers. I know conditions today arent great but can anyone point me in the direction of the best website giving information on live opening of lifts and runs other than the individual website for each resort? Is there a global one for the Port du Soleil? Also where would be best for easy access to the nursery slopes? Thanks in advance
ski holidays
Happy valley was pretty sweet this weekend before it got tracked :

Sat PM they closed the Cornebois lift which made it harder to get to.
latest report
@benburton83, Portes du Soleil App has all the villages but I can’t say it is always 100% accurate.
snow report
@benburton83, Each resort has some nursery slopes.
The Plateau at St Jean has a nice nursery area, good snow at the moment and is not too busy.
Where are you staying?
snow report
Thanks for the replies. We are staying in Evian so looking to drive to St Jean looks around 30mins in car. Do you know if it has a magic carpet?
ski holidays
@benburton83,
Staring with the nearest to you and working further away... Bernex & Thollon are your nearest, but Bernex does not have good snow cover at the moment.
There's a magic carpet in Le Biot (Col Du Corbier) but nothing else.
Abondance has a magic carpet, but its in the village not on up the hill, and has no snow at the moment.
The beginner area at St Jean has 4 drags but no magic carpet, but is a nice spot for learning.
Super Chatel has drags and a rope tow on the plateau.
PLJ has a magic carpet and a nice beginner area.
Les Gets has good beginner area but is further afield.
Avoriaz likewise is good but will take longer to get there from Evian.
snow report
Oh wow thats great info thanks very much indeed Very Happy
snow report
Sitting in the Yeti in Les Gets, snow great vis poor.
latest report
Now in LG, bottom of Chavannes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy