Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
@Ozboy, @zzz, Yep we've had good snow in Nov/ early Dec the last 4-5 years, but it has often dried up by xmas week and relied on artificial snow. I would say above 1400-1500m natural snow depth is up there with anything since 12/13. Comment above was just in relation to the rest of the resort, and the other pistes that are open.

A few of the morning updates are still trending the snowline higher on Friday evening.....so it does look like another roller coaster, rain - snow - rain below Avoriaz. Sunday snowline forecast to be 1300m, but we know the models can be out by a few hundred meters either way even at close range (which sunday isn't yet).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd take snow above 1300m (though I know that is not idea for Morzine/Les Gets). Were driving down on Friday, arriving late evening, so might get a bit of excitement coming over the pass.

Saturday was planned as a morning's skiing and then a trip to GVA to pick up my daughter.

Powder day Sunday?

Might be getting ahead of myself - the best way to check the mountain weather is to look out of the window.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DJL, only the last 100m of village runs are below 1300m in LG...you can quite happily never go below 1400m if park at Chavannes. The colder it is the better the snow at all elevations of course. I've had more fun on 10cm of cold light powder in October than 40cm of the heavy recent stuff.

Re. the models, it's easier to call the general weather set up 8-10 days out than predict the snowline 2-3 days out. Every model will have a different take on the detail, and they can still all be wrong at the same time. These flat westerly patterns are the most troublesome though with fast moving /volatile snowline, heavy precipitation, strong wind....and the PdS often finds itself right at the boundary of cold air, like this weekend. Hopefully at some point soon we'll get a more northerly flow (next week would be nice).

The 12z continue the mixed signals, especially for early next week....some models have it cold mon/tues, others torrential rain. So make the most of whatever you get...Friday too warm initially, Sunday looks huge.

The red line on the top graph is the expected freeze level. Lower half shows a sharp wet spell Friday night, and the long continuous heavy precip sun-mon-tues

graphe-ens4
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Gets was super quiet and rather sunny this afternoon. Ranfolly area softened up nicely after 1pm-ish too. A few muddy/rocky patches starting to appear low down but they're easily avoided. Omelettes and very friendly service enjoyed in Le Wetzet.

On another point, I've decided that I'd like to change my touring boots. Easier said than done as I have a high instep. Currently on Scott Cosmos. Used to have Scarpas before they shrank their lasts. Any recommendations for good touring boot fitters in the area? Wondering whether Le Vieux Campeur are any good down in Thonon? Many thanks in advance for any pointers?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Le Vieux Camper have the biggest range around here. I’m not sure they are great fitters. I bought my last pair down there a couple of years ago and largely fitted them myself. However I know what I like in a boot so wasn’t bothered.
I have a pair of Technica zero g scouts. Prior to that a pair of Scarpa Maestrale rs’s. Similar fit but the Technica has a narrower heel. They are really good boots. Light but I think ski like a downhill boot whilst also touring really well. There’s a thread on here somewhere. HTH
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@zzz Many thanks for the tips. I'm going to head down there later today. I guessed Le Vieux Campeur may be like that. Mountain Services in Thonon have some Roxas and Nordicas that may suit my feet (my piste boots are Nordicas) so will check there out too. Thanks again, much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@simonopt,
Re touring boots.
Maybe try
All mountain rental
Their shop is on the right as you drive from morzine Marie to Montriond church.
Tomma And Jamie might be worth calling in on.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@simonopt, There's Johann in Mesier Sports, Chatel, who has a good reputation. Also James in Vertical Horizons, again in Chatel, seems to fit boots for all the Brits in the valley.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 re recommendation for James. I'm not sure about his touring boot section however. Maybe give him a call.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@simonopt, rather than Thonon, see if either Nicolas in Concept Pro in Cham have an appointment available. They claim to be able to find something for any foot size ... and all season’s stock is now in.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Felt colder on my dog walk this morning, although now the sun is out it is warming up, though I doubt it will be as warm as yesterday. Which hopefully will mean tomorrow’s rain will be snow somewhere up the mountain. Just hoping the temperature keeps dropping over the next 24 hours. My sons instructor In Chatel has cancelled his lesson tomorrow afternoon, due to the rain.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@polo, I will be in PDS for 2 weeks form tomorrow and thinking of exploring Les Gets for a day. My thought is to drive over from Chatel in order to maximise and not lose time skiing over. Where do you suggest I start from (and park) to get a good appreciation of the area?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ozboy, Have you been as far across as Morzine already? If not, I'd think of parking in Morzine and have a Pleney/Nyon/Les Gets exploration perhaps. Pleney has been quite creative in, for example, glading some of the tree runs US style (or at least, they had a couple of years ago, they may have covered over). Very snow (and Wx) dependent of course and reduces your chances of getting as far over as Chery Nord.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, never been to Morzine in winter. Thinking is to just focus on Les Gets and get to It’s outer reaches. I could do Pleany/Nyon another time as can probably ski over as closer (happy to be corrected)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ozboy, arguably, could maybe be easiest then to park at Chery Nord and kind of do LGs in reverse? Just a thought.
snow report
@Ozboy, If you hold off on your Les Gets odyssey until the 23rd (Monday) Mt Chery will be open and there's a whole load a snow forecast for Sunday. Obviously this is Polo's neck of the woods, but if I were not working Monday, I'd get my butt to the car park in the Col d'Encrenaz early doors.
First lift up, then make a load of freshies down the front side of Mt Chery (maybe do the top bit twice before heading down to the bottom).
Don't wait for the little train, just walk over to the Chavannes Chair Lift, and start by going over towards the Rosta and the Turche and on to the Perriere.
Then work back across - Main Bowl, (normally some nice stuff at the sides) Rainfolly, Nyon, Chamoisiere etc..
I would not bother going across to the Plenny on the first trip, as there's plenty here already.
Around 3 I would head back over to Mt Chery and fill your boots till the lifts close Smile
latest report
Quote:

If you hold off on your Les Gets odyssey until the 23rd (Monday) Mt Chery will be open and there's a whole load a snow forecast for Sunday. Obviously this is Polo's neck of the woods, but if I were not working Monday, I'd get my butt to the car park in the Col d'Encrenaz early doors.

Sage advice, I'd say, @WindOfChange.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, if you're early and it's not too busy you can try in town or use the underground parking at chavannes express.

If you want to fit it all in..I'd do something like this:
Head up Chavannes Express, turn right, then drop into the bowl. There are over 10 runs from the various lifts here, so pick a bunch of those (Rosta etc). I would then do the runs under the Perrieres Express and La Turche. Back into the bowl and up Nauchet, turn right off the chair and take the blue down the other side towards Chamossiere Express....red / black / freeride zone.
Make way to Charniaz Express / Tronc Express area....3 lifts to choose, Charinaz takes you back to Nauchet / Chavannes, Tronc is towards Nyon / Plenney / Morzine, Tetes is another loop back to Chamossiere area.
Make sure you leave enough time (2-3 hours from this point), to slide down under Chavannes Express back to village. Cyclamen is another route down, nice mellow blue thru the forest, and very quiet as it's new.

Once you're in the village walk 5 mins over to Mont Chery lift, the north side is best, but also lots to do down the front as well (skiers left is good).
If you have fresh snow and dabble in the off piste, then Mont Chery has enough for a whole day, and they have a pass just for that area, 23 eur I think for the day.
As others have said you can park / start there, on either side, but less driving of twisty roads in heavy snow if stay on the town side (as opposed to going around the back to Ecrenaz)

What day are you thinking about? Am up every weekend, but have parents over for the next week so will be limited....I've got to get up there monday though for a few hours, probably Mont Chery in the morning.....Grand Ourse for fancy lunch, or Belvedere for quick coffee / vin chaud. Assuming it's not a blizzard, the views from here are stunning.
snow report
@Ozboy, Our usual routine for either Morzine or Les Gets (or both) is to drive fromn Chatel to Morzine and park in the underground car park near Pleney (costs a few Euros) then generally scoot around until we end up in Les Gets. Then walk across the village (not worth taking the train unless it is right there when you are ready to go) and have a few runs on Mont Chery. Great thing is you cant really end up in the wrong valley when the lifts close and it is really too far to ski all the way through Avoriaz and over to Super Morzine if you wnat ot get to Mont Chery.

Like you we are arriving tomorrow and would be good to meet up for a beer if we don't manage a ski.
latest report
Thanks - we are currently making our way to France and will try to head across next week when kids have a day off ski school.

@DJL, will be good to meet up at some point - PM me when if you are in town as we normally have drink at Hors Piste.
snow report
Châtel Xmas week SH meetup?
latest report
@247snowman @Chamcham @snoozeboy @under a new name

Many thanks for all the great tips. Much appreciated.
snow report
@snoozeboy, @Ozboy, could be a plan
ski holidays
@Ozboy, @polo, has given all the best bits away but if it looks like being at all busy then Chamosssiere lift and Les Arbis piste first. The piste is so good that it stands being done 2,3 even 4 times first thing before it starts to get cut up. It takes about the same time to get to Chamossiere from Les Gets and Morzine. Then to the Charniaz lift and Fenerets into the bowl. Take your pick from here Ranfoilly lift and Tulipe piste is a must, recently downgraded from a red to a blue although in places it can be a bit "mauve". Cutting skiers right from the top of Ranfoilly lift Arnica and Sautenailles pistes are fun. Couple of "Black" pistes by the Rosta and Grains d'or lifts which get pisted about every 2 weeks, if just pisted then they are just steep reds but the moguls get bigger with time. Must do the Melezes down to Perrieres. Then head back to Chavannes and cross to Mont Chery, the Petit train is easiest and runs from the road under the Chavannes lift. Mont Chery is normally quiet when everywhere else is busy and deserted when quiet.
I don't know the parking in Morzine, but the most convenient in Les Gets is the underground at the Chavannes lift on the Front de Neige or alternatively the outdoor parking at Perrieres (free I think).
snow report
DJL wrote:

Good plan... probably best doing a beer as days busy with kids on half day lessons etc. Let’s PM once we are settled. Is there anyone else?
ski holidays
there maybe a spare parking space out front of the apartment we've rented for over xmas and new year in Morzine. Ill post up when i know more tomorrow, its no skin off my nose if someone wants to park there
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
DJL wrote:

Good plan... probably best doing a beer as days busy with kids on half day lessons etc. Let’s PM once we are settled. Is there anyone else?

I'll be around to have a cheeky scoop in the Fer Rouge, or Plaine Dranse, or the Boxer Beer place on the Corbeau or PdS if up in SC.
ski holidays
So, we are 4? WoC, DJL, Ozboy and me? I'll DM you for your mobile numbers and set up a WhatsApp group.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were up in Avoriaz until 14:00 today, the rain really kicked in for the last hour. Snow line was about 100 metres below the highest lifts. You couldn’t get across to Switzerland, other than via the Swiss wall, which was in the easiest conditions I’ve ever seen.
snow report
I’m based in Morzine until Tuesday morning, no car, if I can join? Level 6 inside out. Not sure if I get just a Morzine pass or a big one to get to Avoriaz.
snow conditions
Looking at the webcams, the rain / snow limit currently seems to be somewhere between 1800 m (Avoriaz, heavy snow) and 1500 m (Pleney, rain). Forecast to drop as the afternoon goes on.
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
I’m based in Morzine until Tuesday morning, no car, if I can join? Level 6 inside out. Not sure if I get just a Morzine pass or a big one to get to Avoriaz.

DM me your mobile number and I'll add you to the WhatsApp group. We can use it for ski and/or beer meetups.
snow report
Just been out with the dogs and it’s stopped raining, I don’t think that the snow line fell below 1800 today
snow conditions
@doddsie, odd. Pretty sure it did above Chamonix. Looked to be around 1,400-1,500. So that's all good. Mind you, I wasn't exactly monitoring it...
snow report
Grim in Chatel today.
snow report
@Whitegold, were you in Chatel today? there are some nice restaurants.

No. No you weren't.

So you have absolutely no idea what it actually was like.

Just as you have no idea about Verbier, Chamonix, nor anywhere else ... that you weren't in today.
snow report
@Whitegold, why don't you join our Chatel/PdS Beerski WhatsApp group?

We can send you pics of us on the piste and you can return the favour with pics of you, hunched over your webcam sites, as you reach the vinegar strokes.
snow report
snoozeboy wrote:
@Whitegold, why don't you join our Chatel/PdS Beerski WhatsApp group?

We can send you pics of us on the piste and you can return the favour with pics of you, hunched over your webcam sites, as you reach the vinegar strokes.

Gold!!
snow conditions
Was 18 degrees in Monthey today as we drove though on way to Morgins.
latest report
9C around Montreux at 21.30 and 2C at the top of Pas de Morgins at 22.00. A bit of black ice in Morgins village and a bit of sleety snow on a few cars but mostly everything was wet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy