Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European Glacier documentary

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/K9MaGf-Su9I

Documentary well worth a watch, confirmation of what a lot of us already know but very sobering none the less.
Will there be any non winter season glacier skiing left in Europe in 10/15 years time?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Indeed, will there be non snow making skiing in 10 years time ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Remember it was "our kids won't know what snow is" many moons ago. We are in the middle of climate shifts that have happened many times before. If you read Bonjour's History of Switzerland written in ?1950s he refers even then to mountain passes where archaelogical finds prove they were open in Roman times. The so caled climate scientists have failed to explain these climatic shifts so they just try and pretend they never happened.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
countryman wrote:
The so caled climate scientists have failed to explain these climatic shifts so they just try and pretend they never happened.

You need to read some more climate science journals if you think that to be the case.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

You need to read ...

Fat chance Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pretty sobering. Perhaps the crunch for our sport will come at the point it gets too warm to reliably make snow. At this rate that is looking sooner rather than later. Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perhaps scribes in this post could list their sources of climate science analysis, whether peer reviewed by relevant scientists and any connection to climate denying organisations funded by carbon firms and the super rich ( American). Opinions are easy. Robust testable Evidence takes effort and time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks even worse in N.A.

https://buzzly.fr/photographie-avant-apres-glacier-fondre.html

http://youtube.com/v/ur4I8tYnxP4
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
looks even worse in N.A.

Haven’t you heard, according to Trump, Global Warming is fake news.

On a serious note, I wouldn’t have called the majority of the ice in the video a glacier, they are more like retained snow pack. I know that technically a glacier is defined as snow that has compacted into ice over multiple years, my personal definition is moving ice. Once it stops moving it’s a dead glacier.

On a personal note, I’ve been visiting Saas-Fee for more than 30 years, and in 1987 the glaciers were growing and advancing. Fast forward to the present day and the main glaciers have retreated hundreds of metres, thinned by tens of metres and the resort has lost at least 5 pistes and the same number of off piste routes. It has been the lack of snow fall as much as the temperatures that have done the damage.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PowderAdict,
Quote:
and in 1987 the glaciers were growing and advancing. Fast forward to the present day and the main glaciers have retreated hundreds of metres, thinned by tens of metres and the resort has lost at least 5 pistes and the same number of off piste routes
The same can be said for the glacier at Hintertux. When I first started going there in 1985 the ice extended right up to and past the Tuxerfernerhaus. Now it is hundreds of meter further up the mountain. Not convinced that the reduction has been due to lack of snow. In the film the guy said that in spring they had 5m of snow on the spot where he measured in autumn (Glacier3000). All gone.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I managed to find some of my old Saas-Fee pictures.

The main Fee glacier tip from 1998, where it is just retreating from forming the terminal moraine and ending in a 10m high wall of ice a the glacier lake:

Fee Glacier Tip 1998 3

The same glacier this time from 1989 during the winter, view from the village:

Fee Glacier 1989

A similar view from the village taken today (10th August 2019). You can see the newly exposed rock either side of the crane, as around 1000m vertical and maybe 4km length has been lost in 20 years.

IMG_8547
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2019/aug/16/alpine-climbing-routes-crumble-as-climate-crisis-continues
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PowderAdict, wow! Great, and scary, photos. Still an impressive chunk of ice left up there though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 11-10-21 20:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Been discussed here on SH for the past 10-15 years.

Global boiling and global drying are melting almost all the glaciers in Europe, North America, and rest of world.

Summer skiing in the Northern Hemisphere is now almost at an end.

Snowfall is trending down.

Winter seasons are getting shorter.
snow report
Iceland commemorates dead Glacier with a plaque

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49345912

"..The glacier was officially declared dead in 2014 when it was no longer thick enough to move.

What once was glacier has been reduced to a small patch of ice atop a volcano..."
ski holidays
albob wrote:
Iceland commemorates dead Glacier with a plaque

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49345912

"..The glacier was officially declared dead in 2014 when it was no longer thick enough to move.

What once was glacier has been reduced to a small patch of ice atop a volcano..."

bad article. The pictures are taken under different conditions to make things look more dramatic.

then we read

> "Ok is the first Icelandic glacier to lose its status as glacier,"

but later in the article

> By 2017, 56 of the smaller glaciers had disappeared.

so in fact it's bullshit

we then read that

> former Irish President Mary Robinson

had flown in on CO2 splurging jet to attend the ceremony. Mary being no stranger to climate changing activities herself.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy