Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toulouse car hire. Snow tyres?

Poster: A snowHead
Struggling for a solution here. I want to rent a car from Toulouse in the 1st week of Jan 2020, do a few days in the pyrenees and then drive to the alps for a couple of weeks and return the car to Geneva. Any idea if I can hire with snow tyres in Toulouse? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 10-08-19 5:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Toulouse is a gateway to Andorra, so presumably car hire companies will have some provision of winter tyres. Probably best to call a particular one and ask.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One way hires tend to be expensive even without snow tyres
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've hired from Toulouse and it was not straightforward to get a car with winter tyres (or chains come to that). The grade of car I booked (with Avis) didn't seem to come with water tyres, so I had to downgrade at the airport to a lower category to get winter tyres. It then took 30+ minutes for them to locate the correct size chains for the car. I was pleased I held out for proper winter equipment as I arrived in the Pyrenees in a complete snowstorm, and driving without winter tyres and the security of chain in the boot would have been very tricky.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
One way hires tend to be expensive even without snow tyres

The OP didn't ask about cost
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I gave up on trying to find winter tyres at TLS and just hoped for sun and checked the weather forecast frequently. I was advised ‘buy chains in mountains’ by the hirer! On a Sunday afternoon in sleepy southern France, I didn’t see anywhere en route to Andorra that seemed likely to sell chains and was open. I did see a few signs advertising them, on garages that were shut.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, will just buy some chains I guess.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why not take the train from Toulouse to nearer the Alps and pick up a car there ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
The grade of car I booked (with Avis) didn't seem to come with water tyres,

What grades do come with them then ? Sound interesting Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
Why not take the train from Toulouse to nearer the Alps and pick up a car there ?

Good point! Will look into it. Thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OP: Why fly to Toulouse to ski the Alps? Why wouldn't you ski the Pyrenees? It takes almost as long to drive from Toulouse to, say Chamonix as it does to drive there from Calais. Just interested to understand your strategy ...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 9-08-19 9:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs wrote:

ooof if you want to get to the Alps by train better not start from Toulouse !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
rjs wrote:

ooof if you want to get to the Alps by train better not start from Toulouse !

updated my original post to cover our Pyrenees itinerary!

We want to leave our options open on where to ski given the unreliable nature of early season snowfalls. Heve a bunch of friends to catch up with in the Pyrenees so not too bothered if the snow is scarce.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Confused....... much talk during the last 6 months about the French making winter tyres compulsory. Am I to assume this applies to the alps and not the poor relation that is the Pyrennes.
Utterly incomprehensible that the big players in car hire don't equip their fleet to suit all weather possibilities!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rogerdodger wrote:
Confused....... much talk during the last 6 months about the French making winter tyres compulsory.

where did you get that idea?
ski holidays
Rogerdodger wrote:
Confused....... much talk during the last 6 months about the French making winter tyres compulsory. Am I to assume this applies to the alps and not the poor relation that is the Pyrennes.
Utterly incomprehensible that the big players in car hire don't equip their fleet to suit all weather possibilities!

Last I saw it was to become mandatory in 'mountain areas' but:
1. Not seen a definition of where these mountain areas will be (will common ski airports be in, or outside the areas?).
2. Just because winter tyres are mandatory that DOESN'T mean the car hire companies have to include them for free (outside the 'mountain areas') - they could just start telling you at the pick-up desk that "if you're going to a mountain area you need winter tyres...which will be an extra 200Euro, and your insurance, etc will be invalid if you don't pay and then take the vehicle to the mountains".
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy