Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2019/20 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
The 2019/20 Gardentableometer (bang on the 1450m contour line in the Belleville Valley) is up and running!
Tonight’s image at 8pm.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeeha, I just love snowy webcams!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking good!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And this morning..a bit more than the forecast suggested I’d say! Very Happy

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello,

do you guys have any good real estate agency based in Les Menuires which offers rentals? Or any other agency which offers weekly rentals? I am doing DIY this year so any help is very appreciated. I am looking for a place for 6 persons for one week in Les Menuires.

Booking and AirBnB do not have any suitable accomodation (read to expensive for my pocket).

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@matejp, did you try the tourist office https://en.locationlesmenuires.com/ ? Most (or all) local agencies will advertise with them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quite like this ruler from Snow Retreat

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@matejp, http://agencedesalpes.com -we’ve used them in St M down the road and they’re good. You can save a few extra pennies by taking your own bed linen and doing a thorough clean of the place before leaving. Also http://agence-des-belleville.com/
The links to local agents are all on the resort website.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m currently considering a quick solo trip to Courchevel from December 11th to 15th as I start a new job on the 16th.

How are condition shaping up at the moment? Feel I need to wait another week or two before I pull the trigger.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@coochiemudlo, it's shaping up well, but mostly higher up. Why Courchevel? I think Val Thorens is a safer bet - already a lot of natural snow at station level and canons in full blast, getting ready for late November opening
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Oleski, Thanks for the quick reply! I was leaning towards staying in La Praz actually due to my budget (I have just relocated my family from Australia to Ireland). Am hoping to do a quick and dirty few days on the mega cheap with a room via Airbnb. I guess Im just hopeful that mother nature blasts the whole region in the next couple of weeks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@coochiemudlo, keep an eye on the La Tania website for up to date videos etc for "lower" down Smile https://www.latania.co.uk/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@coochiemudlo, not sure there is any skiing below Courchevel 1850 until 14 December, so Le Praz, La Tania, Village/1550 and Moriond/1650 might not be open? Which probably means the inter-resort buses might not run either, so unless you will have a car there it could be tricky.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, Will do Kitenski, thanks!

@ecureuil, great point, thanks!

I am surprised just how cheap you can get a tiny apartment for four nights with Airbnb there!

Now can anyone point me to the cheapest transfer from Geneva Airport. Alpybus the best option?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
coochiemudlo wrote:
I am surprised just how cheap you can get a tiny apartment for four nights with Airbnb there!
That in itself could be an indication that there will be very little open that week, including bars & restaurants. (Or that it is a dodgy listing!)
ski holidays
According to this opening dates are
Quote:
Courchevel 1850
Sat 07 Dec 2019 to Sun 26 Apr 2020

La Tania
Sat 14 Dec 2019 to Sun 19 Apr 2020

Le Praz
(for access only 7-13 Dec)

Courchevel Village 1550
(for access only 7-13 Dec)

Courchevel 1650 Moriond
Sat 14 Dec 2019 to Sun 19 Apr 2020

Méribel Valley including Mottaret

Brides-Les-Bains
Fri 13 Dec 2019 to Fri 17 Apr 2020

Saint Martin de Belleville
Sat 14 Dec 2019 to Fri 17 Apr 2020

Les Menuires

Orelle
Sat 30 Nov 2019 to Sun 3 May 2020

Val Thorens
Sat 23 Nov 2019 to Sun 3 May 2020

"Access only" suggests the cable car will be open but you won't be able to ski back and will have to download in the lift - which of course would be no hardship.
latest report
Lookin’ good!!
latest report
I'm in Val Thorens this coming weekend for a ski test and I see the weather could be better, ironically I'm leaving Serre Chevalier, and what looks like currently a dumptastic weekend Laughing
ski holidays
https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2019/11/18/confirmation-of-lifts-piste-opening-for-weeks-beginning-7th-14th-dec-2019/?fbclid=IwAR0Y0ZuFh1vcNf3UFpvll64U7ZM7pauvB8SxdLctgd9ExvAA8UMmqrgtV3Q

From the 7th December the Saulire cable car, Verdons, Jardin Alpin and Chenus gondolas plus the Biollay, Pralong, Suisses and Aiguille du Fruit chairlifts plus the Golf beginner lift will open. The Grangettes gondola in 1550 and the new Praz gondola from Le Praz will be open for urban access (pistes will remain closed).

From the 14th December 2019 the Vizelle gondola and Plantrey chairlift are added in 1850 plus assorted drag lifts and beginners lifts. The other villages are also added with all main lifts opening including Ariondaz, Roc Mugnier & Signal in 1650 and the Bouc Blanc & Lanches chairs in La Tania plus of course the La Tania Gondola & Troika.

All lifts expected to open from 21 December (really just the Chanrossa sector plus Coqs & Forêt chairs and some minor drags are left to open).

The first 3 Valleys links are scheduled to open on 7 December.
ski holidays
I can see people skiing/boarding/sledging around Place de Caron in VT already before the big opening tomorrow.

If anyone is out there, please share the pics and make us office rats jealous Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Will I'm here and it's feckin windy.

Drove up and gave a lift to a couple of Frenchies who confirmed everything off piste is fecked by the wind, and ski touring a big No as well.

Seems to be a lot of people around for the weekend.

It was pretty grim just walking from the car park!

Forecast for wind to continue tomorrow.

I'm here as a guest of Intersport testing their new lineup for the coming season so off piste was not really on the agenda.

I forgot how beautiful VT is rolling eyes
snow report
Oleski,

We are boarding now at Geneva, to fly home after 4 days of great ski touring at Val Thorens. I will post a report tomorrow (hopefully with pics), following a lie in. (We land at Manchester at 22.35 then drive back to County Durham). rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, were it you I saw on the webcam yesterday in Peclet area between the magic carpets?

(Yes, I watch them daily. Guilty as charged snowHead )
ski holidays
@matejp have a look at Interhome. We haven't used them for many years due to family being in 3V so stayed with them but in the past we had lots of cheap stays in Les Menuires. Just did a random search and found accom for 6 for 491 euros for 11 -18 Jan. https://www.interhome.co.uk/france/savoie-haute-savoie/les-menuires/apartment-le-villaret-fr7358.630.7/?arrivalDate=2020-01-11&pax=6&duration=7
If you wait until the week before you want to go there are reductions on lots of properties.
snow report
Oleski,

Waheyyy! Yesterday we did end our day between the magic carpets so it may well have been us! Saddoes that we are... we decided to ski an extra couple of hundred metres to the bottom of the said carpets, to eke out our last run of the trip. It meant a longer hike home but you only live once! wink (For those that know it, we then took a shortcut through the Temple du Soleil apartment block, with a view to taking the lift up from the piste to street level. But we were up and down the lifts and roaming round a maze of corridors on various floors - but could we hell find reception! It's not signposted from the lifts and we felt like we were trapped in a recurring nightmare (in awful surroundings). Luckily we bumped into a cleaner who gave us directions to save the day Very Happy )

Anyway, on our drive home we found part of the M62 closed earlier and have just found out that the A19 is closed at Stockton. So it's cuppa time now at Wetherby services before our last leg home. Google maps is now saying we have an ETA of 2.20 am after yet another detour. rolling eyes

Still, we've had a great trip, with 1 day of lift assisted skiing at Tignes and 4 days touring at Val Thorens. Very Happy
snow report
I'm right above the magic carpet and the Funitel de Peclet - been howling all night and no signs of lifts working which is hardly surprising given the gusts, the forecast is for it to settle down.

Bonkers numbers of people turning up last night!
ski holidays
We watched the cars heading up the road through St M last night-quite a stream- and ventured to VT this morning. Needless to say, the howling wind, lack of open lifts apart from magic carpets, and inability therefore to park down at the free car park -as no lifts open to get us up from down there, meant we turned around. DIY and cooking on the alternative agenda.
snow report
Funitel de Peclet open but pretty grim descent.

Place is mobbed many non skiers think it's one of those typical very French things where people get back to work and are able to say they were at the opening weekend etc etc
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Better weather today (no wind) and many more lifts open, though pistes were very busy!

This image shows how the off-piste is a big NO NO

snow conditions
Probably a stupid question but I'm going to buy 6 day passes for 2-7th March online, from https://www.skipass-meribel.com.

Options are to have them delivered to me in the UK for a price or to collect from underneath the Tougnette lift in the Chaudanne area of Meribel when we get there. I'm thinking of opting for the latter and picking up the passes on the Sunday prior to the first Monday of skiing whilst my friends are at the hire shop getting their gear sorted.

Just wanted to ask if anyone had had any issues with doing this previously? They should hand out the passes to me on the Sunday, even though we don't start until Monday, right? Don't want to have to queue in the morning on Monday as it will be rammed.
latest report
@karansaraf, no problem collecting on Sunday.

The only issue could be if your journey out is delayed and you arrive very late in the resort when the lift pass office is shut.

However, one of the advantages of the many people buying on line is that I wouldn't expect a big scrum on Monday morning anyhow.
latest report
I agree with Layne. I don't think Monday is traditionally a busy day for lift ticket queues.
ski holidays
I know this is for St Martin/Les Menuires but I suspect it would be the same elsewhere in the 3V.

https://www.skipass-lesmenuires.com/en/pickupsites

Says delivery is free including outside of France. Just need to leave sufficient time.
latest report
So had a cracking day yesterday with much better visibility and no wind, for the first hour or so seemed I had VT to myself !!

And was ripping untracked corduroy nigh on every descent.

Below VT, St Martin/Les Menuires and I suspect the other 3V resorts at lower altitude will need a substantial dump and or colder temps to make snow, still early yet though.

More here on how I got on with photos etc
snow conditions
@Layne and @Bergmeister - thanks, good to know.

@puplett - thanks for that link! You're right it's free delivery from them, whereas the Meribel website charges €7. Think I'll just order for free delivery in that case!
snow report
Weathercam,

Thank you. A great report indeed! It was very interesting to hear about the downhill potential of the Atomic touring boot.

I have an old pair of Scarpa touring boots, which are as soft as hell. It's like skiing in wellies for me. However, the good thing is they really do concentrate the mind on technique and keeping forward, as any back seat skiing has me on my ar5e wink

I'd love a more downhill-orientated pair but, for the limited amount of touring we do, unfortunately can't justify the expense. Mrs B has Garmont touring boots, which she says perform as well as her downhill boots. Maybe one of these days...

Mind, your report makes me pine for Val Thorens (and the deserted pistes you mention) rolling eyes
latest report
@karansaraf, I think you are supposed to initialise the pass in the resort you purchased it from. Confirm with the liftco before you buy.
ski holidays
Arriving 14th /wondering if there’ll be enough snow...
ski holidays
CourchGal wrote:
Arriving 14th /wondering if there’ll be enough snow...
Of course there will. Only once in the last 15 odd years has it been too warm to run the cannons. That's certainly not the case this year, the Croisette is already fully covered with natural snow.
ski holidays
@CourchGal, my Instagram feed just popped up a pic saying 30cm fell in the last 12 hours and still snowing in Meribel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy