Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2019/20 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
On a sunny day the Pramint red run down from the Saint Martin express is so good. 2k feet of vertical in one fast chair.

I’m not sure why I’d ever rush to ski anywhere else other than the 3Vs for piste skiing really....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@anjunabeats, did pramint today, no one else in it ....... fantastic conditions best run of the day
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevew wrote:
@anjunabeats, did pramint today, no one else in it ....... fantastic conditions best run of the day

Great stuff - my ski tracks altitude reading looks extremely repetitive from doing that run many times in a row last week!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Epic day in Val T today!

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3Vs are reported to be staying open for the time being, although there could be some lift closures due to staff shortages on account of parents having to look after their children with schools closing. The Sauliere cable car is being limited to 50 passengers at a time. It was very cloudy in Meribel today but visibility and snow conditions in VT were good.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sadly now closing.... https://st-martin-belleville.com/en/coronavirus
Along with everywhere else as far as I can see. A friend arrived yesterday by overnight bus and will be picked up to retrace her steps by to the UK today. We will probably stay on a few days to sort out some house stuff.
Sad . Feel very sad for all the locals, seasonnaires etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We came home yesterday after a great week in La Tania, speculation was rife but largely based on hearsay as what would happen next. Skibeat team had full bookings but preparing for a lot of no shows.

I never posted on conditions on Friday due to packing but after a shaky start of looking out of the window to fog and realizing that the webcams at Saulire were above the crowd we set off just after nine. What a treat the day was. Stay above 2100m generally and it was clear blue skies and drifting clouds. Bit of fresh snow high up made for a fabulous day. We mainly stopped in the 1850 and had lunch at 1650 on the Belair terrace in the baking sun. A little cloud again after than then to clear again and a bash around the sunny side of Meribel, the Loze chair in mist, to clear at the top run down the Lanches black in good vis. Intention was for a run down Folyeres but very heavy fog / low cloud, so up Bouc Blanc chair, the top part in the sun and a great run back to the Bouc Blanc bar, now in mist for a celebratory drink. By the time I'd had a drink it had cleared up a little and the run home down the green was more than acceptable.

Even though we had two days early in the week with cloud, snow and rain, there were good times in those days and the week overall was fantastic.

Thanks to Nikki and Jack at Chalet Beriozka for their hospitality and good food. Hope whatever happens next due to the season closure works out for you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Literally just back from 3v on the last plane out of dodge, empty jet2 flight picked us up. Season est fini
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A beautiful, sunny day in Meribel-Mottaret after the shock announcement last night. Have seen a few individuals skinning up the pistes, although it is reported to be illegal. People apparently being allowed to stay in resort until they can get travel arrangements made. Supermarkets are open and well stocked. Some restaurants are offering take away food. There is said to be a 17 mile tail back on RN90 from Bourg St Maurice heading towards Moutier. Take care folks.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was lovely warm day today. We walked into St M this morning-lots of people out chatting in the street looking rather dazed. I really feel for the locals and seasonaires. I saw a few people with snow shoes, and kids tobogganing down the village slope.
A stream of cars were coming down the mountain all day.

After lunch on the balcony, and a chat with our local (english) plumber, we went for a stroll-others doing the same. I dropped our friend down in Moutiers for the SnowExpress Bus which picked everyone up that they had dropped off yesterday. I have to say they were brilliant at keeping in contact with their customers. Our friend had an email late last night to the effect that they were sending a rescue bus for all of their customers and asked for confirmation that she wanted to be picked up. She was given at ETA and told that she would be updated if it changed (the rescue bus had been sent out from the UK last night), and was picked up on time at 5.40pm this afternoon.
We will stay on till later this week to sort out of few DIY jobs in the house, meet a local builder, and then drive back-thankfully we have had a car out here since Boxing day, so at least we can avoid airports.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a posting on the Valley Echo FB page warning that there could be a travel ban in place between French departments from Tuesday onwards. Not sure what the implications would be for Brits wanting to drive home.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Travel bans should exempt people transiting through which is currently the case in CH.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Left St M at 7.15 this morning. Went via Carrefour in Moutiers and bought a few groceries - checkouts were “screened” with prodigious quantities of clingfilm and customers were let in a few at a time. We were in and away in the first group. Didn’t check the loo paper shelves.
Plenty of traffic for the first half of the journey, but roads got quieter the further north we got. The only police check was at a peage fewer than 100 miles from Calais- we were in the the 30km toll tag queue and didn’t get stopped. Eurotunnel shuttle was quick and quiet. Home by 7pm.
A sad end to our first season of home ownership in the alps. What time we have had there has been great. Who knows when we will get back there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perty,
A sad end indeed Sad .
Hopefully we can make up for it next season - good health for us all permitting... Fingers crossed.

We fell short of our planned skiing by 22 days this season (for me, at least; but 29 days short for Mrs B, as she had a separate trip planned) rolling eyes

With our 3Vs season passes we managed 26 days on the slopes in France this season, with 6 (free) days in Colorado. Not too bad, I suppose, given that Vail and Beaver Creek charged $219 per day this season. Still reasonable value for money but only about half the skiing that we had planned rolling eyes .

We were supposed to be back in France now but are heading to Glencoe tomorrow for a couple of days to make up for the disappointment.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I’m not sure why I’d ever rush to ski anywhere else other than the 3Vs for piste skiing really...
'Cos (as good as the 3Vs undoubtedly is....) the world is full of amazing and varied alternative ski areas?? Laughing

It's perfectly possible to have an equally good time on piste in innumerable other places. And, of course, variety is the spice of life wink
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, you're not wrong. I've mostly skied in France, and this was our first season as mountain property owners. So in theory we are committed to the 3V for good now. I'm sure we will go elsewhere from time to time as well, but when you become familiar with one place it opens up your mind to what else is there beyond the piste-so trying to get into touring, discovering more about the off piste options; summer in the mountains...(if we get there this side of July I'd be surprised..... Ho hum..talk about a first world problem...).
latest report
There is no escaping that the 3-Valleys are awesome, I have travelled to other highly rated resorts, but I can’t help use the 3-Vs as the benchmark.

It I have two criticisms it is that the piste skiing is just a little too good! Gnarly accessible on piste has largely been eradicated.

I also noted this year that several family run lunchtime eateries have gone, and even in St Martin and VT valley, there is a trend toward high end expensive food rather than traditional mountain fare.

The danger is that there is a tendency toward it being too sanitized (probably an unsuitable term right now).
latest report
@DavidYacht, I agree about the changing restaurant scene. Le Lachenal closed in St M at the end of last season and despite the building boom of fancy chalets in the village, there isn’t a corresponding increase in restaurant space. Simple and Meilleur -the new piste side place in the Caseblanche development is just too posh, though I think it has improved since it’s first season.
We are still big fans of La Loy and Corbeleys. Chez Pepe Nicholas is great, but has developed hugely since my first visits back in 2013 when it still felt like a undiscovered gem.
While we never really used it, does anyone know why Les Cretes at the top of St M/Meribel was closed this winter. It was given a serious makeover for 18/19 and it seems odd that it never opened this year..
latest report
@Perty, Les Crete’s was sold to the guy who has developed this place I’m told .

https://www.refugedelatraye.com/

Opening next winter was the chat in Jan but all bets might currently be off .
ski holidays
@DavidYacht, @Perty, what about Chez Alfred, was that still going and unspoilt this season? I was supposed to be in 3V mid March.
snow report
Les Cretes and Le Lachenal were the ones I was thinking of ... but the Yeti has gone for development, and places like 2 Lacs have got expensive and upmarket with no sensibly priced PDJ. Best place this year was the Bel Aire which I understand is now run by the next generation ... the welcome and service was impeccable and as ever relatively good value Plat de Jour
snow conditions
Yes, I think Chez Alfred still doddering along. Of the new places over the 2 seasons, Copina in 1650-fantastic tapas restaurant- has been our biggest fave.
snow conditions
@Perty, is Copina on the mountain or in the village?

@DavidYacht, Bel Aire seems to have been reliably good for a couple of decades.
snow report
@PeakyB, Copina is in the village. Easy to get to even if you are skiing into the village. Head down the piste to bottom by the gap in the buildings between Hotel la Portetta and Fahrenheit 7. Park up skis, and walk down the road to and then cross over to the the restaurant. It’s not a place for lounging in sun, but the grub is fantastic. Here is a pic of a veggie platter I shared with a friend. Normally with a group of 3 or 4 you would order individual dishes, but they did this for 2 of us when one of us was a veggie. We got such a wide selection. Yum..

snow conditions
@Perty, thanks, looks impressive. Hope to sample it next season!
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I’m not sure why I’d ever rush to ski anywhere else other than the 3Vs for piste skiing really...
'Cos (as good as the 3Vs undoubtedly is....) the world is full of amazing and varied alternative ski areas?? Laughing

It's perfectly possible to have an equally good time on piste in innumerable other places. And, of course, variety is the spice of life wink

I do agree with variety being the spice of life - I did make it to Cervinia/Zermatt, Park City (the old chair lifts did almost cause me to pass out at times...) etc this season.... But I suppose my 2 trips to the 3Vs showed me why I continue to go there. The lift infrastructure is so good as well as the variety of runs.

I agree with the comments about retaining some of the cheaper food options etc - it’d be a shame if everything went high end, as personally I’m there for the skiing and not the apres etc.
ski holidays
Just had some money back on our 2 season passes..€318 in total. Not bad.
ski holidays
@Perty, damn, you got €4 more than us Confused Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perty,

Same as us! Better than nothing wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy