Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2019/20 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Maersk wrote:
Quote:

Heavy snow forecast for this coming Friday

Really?

Apparently, obviously these things can change.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More consistency in the models for snow Saturday, what are the locals saying??? Still too far out to have any confidence............
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All, we’ve been to La Tania numerous times (mainly with Le Ski) but we will be driving for the first time this HT. 2 questions : do we have a choice of car parks (we are staying at the Christiania apartments just by the bridge over Folyeres) and, if yes, do we need to pre-book? Also, we are planning to pop down to Le Praz for dinner one night, are there any taxis that are easy to book? Thanks very much.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@franga, there are two free open air car parks off the main road but the first one on the left as you enter LT is easier to get out of if it snows. However, they're both first come, first served so for HT week are likely to be full unless you get there very early.

Much better to be in the underground parking that's between the Christiana and the Sherpa so you can come and go as you please. P&V have allocated spaces there but I would definitely book in advance for HT week to be sure of getting one. Ring Christiana reception to reserve, cost is approx. €70/week. The entrance is from the Sherpa car park and you'll need a remote key fob first from P&V reception to access it.

Haven't used a taxi for a while. There are none based in LT that I know of so you'll need to book but there's plenty in Courchevel so won't be an issue, just ask Christiana reception for a number. There's also the free ski bus leaves at 8pm, coming back at 10.30pm. Bus stop is right outside Christiana (down the lift).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Raceplate wrote:
@franga, there are two free open air car parks off the main road but the first one on the left as you enter LT is easier to get out of if it snows. However, they're both first come, first served so for HT week are likely to be full unless you get there very early.

Much better to be in the underground parking that's between the Christiana and the Sherpa so you can come and go as you please. P&V have allocated spaces there but I would definitely book in advance for HT week to be sure of getting one. Ring Christiana reception to reserve, cost is approx. €70/week. The entrance is from the Sherpa car park and you'll need a remote key fob first from P&V reception to access it.

Haven't used a taxi for a while. There are none based in LT that I know of so you'll need to book but there's plenty in Courchevel so won't be an issue, just ask Christiana reception for a number. There's also the free ski bus leaves at 8pm, coming back at 10.30pm. Bus stop is right outside Christiana (down the lift).

Thank you, much appreciated!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mrecho, the Bettex run is the one we take most often at the start of the day, so I took a look at the machine by the lift this morning. There is a stack of cards in a dispenser so no problem there. And anyway, if you have any difficulty or it won't give you the Duo price, then just tell the lifties that you need to go and get your pass from the office at the Croisette and they will let you on the lift.

By the way, the machine does say clearly that it does not dispense limited beginners passes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Really enjoying the bluebird days at the moment, and the conditions on piste are still pretty good. Lower down there are some patches of ground beginning to show through but these are marked. In general the on piste conditions are really good and the top up of snow due on Friday makes me jealous of all those arriving next week!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As @seekstris says - pistes in really good nick higher up. Off piste there is still plenty of fun to be had.

Regarding the forecast I will believe it when I see it (at least anything more than last Friday's 0,75cms....). Would be nice to be wrong though Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Absolutely primo conditions on piste first thing this morning - doesn't get much better than that! Perfect firm grippy corduroy... ooh la la... almost makes me wish I owned a proper alpine set-up (almost).

Off piste still good in the shade - skied a monster pitch of cold creaminess after some spicy couloir action today.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
agreed pistes have been great first thing, they have been grooming the black runs quite often in Courchevel and they have been immense early on..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Suggestions on where to zip around for a 2 hour warmup Friday afternoon from Courchevel 1800, was thinking of heading up Biollay & Pralong to get some blues off there then Suisses or Vizele and get some laps on the runs around there,M, Pylones etc
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you can get up to creux it's a nice cruisey blue. Was in very good condition today so would recommend it
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, looks like some snow coming in after Friday lunchtime so visibility may be somewhat limited higher up, but if it isn;t too bad then your plan is pretty good. If vis isn't great then the runs off Coqs or down in the trees off the Aiguille du Fruit and Roc Mugnier chairs should be OK.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
seekstris wrote:
If you can get up to creux it's a nice cruisey blue. Was in very good condition today so would recommend it

Second this. Creux is brilliant, and great lunch spot at Cave de Creux, if a bit pricey!
latest report
kitenski wrote:
Suggestions on where to zip around for a 2 hour warmup Friday afternoon from Courchevel 1800, was thinking of heading up Biollay & Pralong to get some blues off there then Suisses or Vizele and get some laps on the runs around there,M, Pylones etc

Personally, I would jump into the Chenus bubble and head over to La Tania : Folyeres ands Jockeys should be fun with a layer of fresh snow. Both are cracking runs and you can easily do laps of both. Enjoy.

BTW - can anyone recommend any of the Le Praz restaurants / and a restaurant in Albertville (staying there for 1 night before we jump in the car very early on the Saturday of HT week to drive to La Tania)?

Thanks guys.
latest report
@franga, Jockeys has been shut so far this season...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 16-01-20 8:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
@franga, Jockeys has been shut so far this season...
I didn’t know that, that’s disappointing ... any idea why? Not enough cover or have they started reshaping it for the WCs in 2023? That’s a real shame ...
snow conditions
@franga, possibly both... They started reshaping this summer, but snow cover is definitely thin below 1500m-ish.
snow report
@franga, on restaurants in Le Praz we've been recommended the Black Pearl Pizza (bookings essential) where we are going tomorrow night and then my friend who has done a few seasons in the area said:

The Cave is good for fondues and cheese - owned by a fromagier.
The Petite Bergerie is good for meat - cooked on open fire where you can see.
I’d recommend either

On the skiing front I guess I'll see what the weather is doing and if bad skiing the trees seems like a good idea!
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@franga, on restaurants in Le Praz we've been recommended the Black Pearl Pizza (bookings essential) where we are going tomorrow night and then my friend who has done a few seasons in the area said:

The Cave is good for fondues and cheese - owned by a fromagier.
The Petite Bergerie is good for meat - cooked on open fire where you can see.
I’d recommend either

On the skiing front I guess I'll see what the weather is doing and if bad skiing the trees seems like a good idea!

Thanks! Have a good trip and let’s hope the snow gods deliver some freshies for you.
latest report
I'm hoping this is correct Smile

https://www.meteoalpes.fr/bulletin/alpes-du-nord/

Friday, January 17, 2020:

Disturbed. The sky is rapidly cloudy from the west as the morning progresses after the lightening of the day (especially near Italy). In the afternoon it will be mostly cloudy all over the place with precipitation beginning on the western edge of the region. They become widespread at the end of the day and then escape through the high mountains at night.
It snows above 1500/1600 meters then quickly 1000/1100 meters and even 800/1000 meters in the evening. 10 to 25 cm of snow is expected above 1500 metres from east to west.

Saturday, January 18, 2020:

Variable. A few clouds still hang the reliefs in the middle-mountain at the beginning of the day and then dissipate as the morning passes good moments of sunshine. The moments of sunshine are thwarted by high cloudy passages in the afternoon but the atmosphere remains quite bright.
snow report
Quote:

Friday, January 17, 2020:

Disturbed. The sky is rapidly cloudy from the west as the morning progresses after the lightening of the day (especially near Italy). In the afternoon it will be mostly cloudy all over the place with precipitation beginning on the western edge of the region. They become widespread at the end of the day and then escape through the high mountains at night.
It snows above 1500/1600 meters then quickly 1000/1100 meters and even 800/1000 meters in the evening. 10 to 25 cm of snow is expected above 1500 metres from east to west.

Saturday, January 18, 2020:

Variable. A few clouds still hang the reliefs in the middle-mountain at the beginning of the day and then dissipate as the morning passes good moments of sunshine. The moments of sunshine are thwarted by high cloudy passages in the afternoon but the atmosphere remains quite bright.

May I just go whoop!!! Very Happy
snow report
Got to underscore the earlier comments about how well the pistes are holding up despite the temps and wall to wall sunshine. If you are a mileage junky like me you are in heaven (40 miles today according to ski tracks).
I guess the benefits of skiing high; not sure how the lower Austrian resorts (Ski Welt and the like) are doing.
By the way staying in St Martin this year and would thoroughly recommend if you are looking for reasonable prices and good access to the 3V.
snow report
Given how long it has been since the last snowfall the offpiste is also in pretty darn good condition too...

snow conditions
@kitenski, Black Pearl highly recommended!
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, fresh tracks so long after the snowfall looks great!! How much walking to get there??
latest report
Just started snowing (or not long ago) and seems to be getting harder. A few mm already but I've already returned my skis
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Came down to St Martin at 3.30pm, no snow, but darkening skies.
Went to buy groceries at 3.45pm and a few flocons drifting down.
Here is a pic of the gardentableometer (which had been devoid of snow) taken precisely an hour later. Alle-****ing-luia! Very Happy
Still chucking it down...

snow report
Flying out tomorrow, looks to be a decent start for the fresh snow, hope it keeps up for a while yet. Weather looks canny for the week ahead too.
ski holidays
The pistes have been in great nick, generally, over the past couple of weeks, despite no recent snow. I was due to ski on my own yesterday due to Mrs B's temporary unavailability** but met Perty in Val T for a quick blast to Orelle and back in the sun. We had a lovely afternoon, with some great skiing and a good natter (about all things skiing Very Happy)

** Mrs B had a freak accident yesterday. On the (flat) Boulevard du Cumin she caught an edge and tilted to one side. Consequently her ski pole stuck in the snow, then bounced back up into her face - cutting her lip and breaking a front tooth in half. Shocked (She didn't fall). I didn't see the accident but turned round to see her skiing towards me with a bloody chin. That was at 10am, so we skied back to Val T, dropped the skis at the apartment then legged it to the medical centre. We arrived at 11 and, after checking the damage, the dentist offered her a 19.30 appointment as they were fully booked. Shocked

We duly reported back that night, not knowing what the treatment would be. However, Mrs B was delighted that the dentist capped the snapped tooth and advised her that she could get 10 years out of it. Not bad for €100 Puzzled

But all's well that ends well. She was back out on the slopes today Very Happy .

Mrs B is beginning to get a thing for the Val Thorens medical centre as she was also there 3 days prior, when she was diagnosed with a viral infection of the tracchea. She's not had the best of weeks. Sad
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, the VT Medical Centre was excellent when I had to use it (broken collar bone) and I believe it has been rebuilt since then.

To do yourself any kind of injury on the Boulevard Cumin is quite an achievement - full marks to Mrs B. Best wishes to her and congratulations to her for alarming others about the most innocuous piste in the whole of the 3Vs.
latest report
Well, the 15-20cms showed up overnight, with miraculously blue skies from kick-off this morning.

If you had booked a week and landed on a day like this you would be happy, if you booked a weekend and landed on this you must have been banking some serious karma points through the year. @kitenski and Mrs kitenski must have been banking karma points for a while...

ski holidays
as @offpisteskiing, said we really lucked out with the weather and fresh snow and Simon made sure we made the most of it, apart from one peak we were on our own, enjoying fresh cold snow, some lovely locations, zero wind, blue skies and sun! I've skied for years, it's very rare for it all to come together for the "holiday" skier! On Sunday we did a few hours XC skiing below le Praz, so hopefully the pics give a taste for the snow levels/quality.

http://youtube.com/v/9McJDj6lRH0
snow report
@kitenski, looks great....good choice for terrain and good timing, nothing better than getting first tracks like that.
snow report
Very quick one, not weather related I'm afraid

I can't seem to find upgrade prices for a 3v pass from Les Menuires for a day.

We are skiing with a family who will probably ski in Les Men / St Martin but would like to explore on 1 or 2 days. 2 adults and 2 kids 6 days Les Men / St Martin only is 816 Euros, 6 days 3V is 1000 Euros give or take. I can't find day upgrade prices on the website, I suspect that upgrading for more than 1 day will cost more than just getting a 3v pass for the week but would be nice to know. Thanks.
snow report
@jonathancarty, The courchevel PDF says 38 Euros for an adult, 30.4 for a child, it's almost the last line in this PDF

https://www.skipasscourchevel.com/media/download/s3vb2c/cms/media/Tarifs%20PDF/1%20Tarifs%20publics%203V%20Wellness%203V%20VC.pdf
snow conditions
Thanks @kitenski,

From my reading of that you have to upgrade for at least 2 days which means buying a 6 day 3v pass is cheaper

Or am I being thick?
snow conditions
@jonathancarty, I'm certainly not an expert but I think it says you can only add one day if you have a 2 day or longer local pass.

It's almost a no brainer for the added security though IMHO, just in case you drop down the wrong "side" and can't take a lift back up!

So in rounds numbers if it's 816 vs 1000 for a family of 4, one day extension is 140 euros, so "only" 40 euros more for the full 3V for 6 days, 10 Euros each effectively.
ski holidays
Snowed all day above les Allues in Meribel area. Poor visibility and some high winds mean many lifts closed. Friends blown off drag lift in dramatic gust..... all fine. Lots of cones blown of trees. After long coffee break was the only person skiing down Doron..... and it was still icy! Finished early let’s hope the pisteurs do their magic this evening.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy