Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New York/Canada Mid December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, never left Europe so having difficulty planning a trip. Any help would be great Smile

I want to be in New York City in the run-up to Christmas, particularly the 14th December. While I'm there I'd like to Ski (I'm an intermediate skier) and see Niagara Falls. Getting about won't be a problem, I will hire a car. So my question is, what would be the best option for skiing? I think I will leave the skiing for after New York as it improves the chances of having snow. So my research seems to point to Gore Mountain as the best option for this trip. Can anyone give their view on this?

Thanks in advance Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My bet would be somewhere in Vermont and Sugarbush and Killington would be my preffered places. For the experience, you should look at Mad River Glenn.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gore, Whiteface and Huntaaahh are the nearest mountains to NYC IIRC, but if you are roadtripping up to Buffalo/Niagara I don't see why you need to restrict yourself. The areas around North Conway, NH and Burlington VT have a number of ski hills to choose from.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Gore, Whiteface and Huntaaahh are the nearest mountains to NYC IIRC, but if you are roadtripping up to Buffalo/Niagara I don't see why you need to restrict yourself. The areas around North Conway, NH and Burlington VT have a number of ski hills to choose from.
I have a friend who lives a an hour upstate of NYC and is learning to ski at Hunter. Looks a nice little resort for locals or if you're on your way to Buffalo to see Niagra. It's a long diversion to the resorts in Vermont or Maine by car if you want to visit Niagra Falls, especially if you are flying in and out of JFK.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Killington.

It will be freezing cold.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alexb123a wrote:
my research seems to point to Gore Mountain as the best option for this trip.

Highly doubtful.

Gore is the step child of the New York State run ski mountains. It gets the least amount of love (funds). So snow making isn't up to the same standard as Whiteface. If you want "big mountain" skiing, Whiteface will be one of your choices. Though to be honest, it wouldn't be my first.

Hunter would have been the clear choice, as it had extensive snow making capability and tend to open as early as nature allows. But it got bought by Vail last week. So historical pattern no longer apply. Wyndham is another choice with decent snow making capability. Both Hunter and Wyndham have less vertical/terrain than the mountains in Vermont.

Options in Vermont are: Killington, Stratton, Okemos, Mount Snow. They're all more or less the same from the perspective of intermediate level skiers. Stowe in northern Vermont will typically has the best snow, even though it's a bit of a detour for your NYC->Niagara Fall itinerary.

Tremblen near Montreal is another option. It's again a minor detour from your direct route. A lot of people like it. I'm not familiar with it to comment about the snow potential for mid-to-late December.

To ski in the eastern part of US, you need to be flexible. Ready to head to the mountains if there's a snow storm. But under NO CIRCUMSTANCE should you ski after a rain-freeze period. Unless you don't value your life and limbs.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get up to Hunter Mtn

Party all weekend

All the NYC crowd are there and take plenty of rubbers Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A car in Manhattan? Laughing

Just go to Hunter Mountain like everyone else. The Burton shop in Lower East runs/ ran trips most weekends.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Just go to Hunter Mountain like everyone else. The Burton shop in Lower East runs/ ran trips most weekends.

The ski bus usually only start running after Christmas, not before.

DanishRider wrote:
For the experience, you should look at Mad River Glenn.

I presume you literally mean "looking at" it instead of skiing it? rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy