Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where is as good or even better than La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
I know La Plagne can be a bit of a marmite resort with equal numbers of lovers and haters but for those of you that love it where would you say is as good or better for:

Ski in/out in a choice of hotels and apartments
Large ski area
Good mileage for those on blue and red runs
Variety
Quiet enough at night to get a good night sleep (not into party resorts)
Travel convenience (we take the overnight ski train)

We have been to Flaine (a bit small) and then La Plagne lots of times because it is so hard to beat. We have always gone over to Les Arcs and enjoyed it but it seems easier than La Plagne or at least more predictable and we always think we would miss La Plagne if we stayed there.

Any suggestions for next year?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All harder to get to but worthy of consideration:-

Tignes
Val D'Isere - if you stay out of town centre
3V - not been for ages so can't really comment where to stay but it was always good.
Avoriaz
Verbier (again stay out of town)
Villars

....all better than La Plagne imo
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. Courchevel 1850.
2. Lech.
3. Klosters.
4. Tignes.
5. Les Menuires.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Skihappy, what time(s) of year?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Whitegold, Lech I agree but on an overnight train from UK?!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the quick responses. Likely to be early Feb.

Do I take it Lech is not so easy to get to?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the 3V- Courchevel 1650, La Tania, and possibly Val Thorens? Partially depends on what time in the season you are going. VT is more of a party town, but I'm sure you could find quiet accommodation. All 3 would involve the ski train stopping at Moutiers. The longest transfer would be to VT (45 mins), the other two are about 30 mins. If you're not so wedded to ski in ski out and are prepared to walk a few yards-my own fave (where we are about to buy a wee house) is St Martin de Belleville. There are plenty of piste side apartments, plus others in the village a short walk from the lift. The village is pretty, quiet, not a party town at all, but with a couple of nice bars and a few good restaurants. It's as good a base as any in the 3V, and at the beginning and end of the day, has some of the best and quietest pistes in the whole 3V.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Skihappy, Lech is not on the trainline, you have to taxi/ bus from St Anton. Train to St Anton is 2.5 hours+ east of Zurich. I dont know where your train goes to but bear in mind that overnight ski trains go to France ie Bourg St Maurice via Geneva which is about 2-3 hours on a train west of Zurich. Lech is well worth getting to, but you'd fly into either ZRH or Innsbruck, or maybe train to MUC and drive 4 hours to Lech. Lech/ Zurs is best of the lot imo, we ski there and St Anton......cruisy blues and reds it isn't though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:
overnight ski trains go to France ie Bourg St Maurice via Geneva

They don't
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone. I like the suggestions in Austria, would really like to see how it compares. Lots to think about now.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Skihappy, in early Feb the 3V and EK suggestions above are sound.
In both you need to be careful about specific choice to achieve ski in/ski out as well as quiet for a good nights sleep.

In 3V I like La Tania as a base. Also Courchevel 1650 (Moriond). 1550 (Village) OK too though not much accommodation there.
Meribel/Mottaret centrally located, though tends to divide opinion regarding ambience. I find Val T in mid season a bleak base, though the skiing is excellent on clear days.

In EK, La Daille is a great location for lift convenience and relative quiet. Usually decent home runs too, compared with dropping back into main town. 10 minute free bus ride to the action and nightlife of Val D. In Tignes I much prefer Le Lac as a base.

Somewhere often under the radar that can be accessed by train + short road transfer is Evasion Mont Blanc. TGV goes to nearby Sallanches. Megeve,St Gervais, Combloux amongst the choice of bases. Great ambience, scenery, more than enough cruisy skiing. Not direct overnight train from London of course.

Happy choosing.
snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Skihappy, Langen am Arlberg is closest station to Lech and Stuben - both great places to stay especially Lech. Kitzbuhel has a station as does Zell am See. Zell is around a 20 minute taxi to Saalbach-Hinterglemm, which I think would tick your boxes very nicely. Leogang also has a station where you could also base yourself for Saalbach-Hinterglemm ski area but you won't get the amazing apres that S-H offers. There will be loads more options too
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For me Paradiski is No 1 which is why I/we have been there more times than anywhere.

But 3V is excellent too with La Tania, Le Praz, St Martin, Les Menuires, all good places to stay IMO.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Arcs for me is better than La Plagne. Maybe because both times I was the I was based in Les Arcs and only visited La Plagne for a day Very Happy Just like the OP, but vice versa. Both times was unlucky with the weather, but still like Paradiski.

Liked 3V, stayed in Orelle and Les Menuires. I know I'd love staying in Meribel. Both times weather was excellent, but even in bad weather would love this resort.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Oleski, Oh OK then but they don't go to Lech do they, that was my point. Maybe you could offer some travel advice on overnight trains to Savoie for the OP rather than negative one liners? wink Just out of interest where do they terminate these days, BSM or somewhere else?

@boabski, Not too many trains stop at Langen, we find it best to get off at St Anton and if you time it right can use Post Bus rather than an expensive taxi e/ way.
snow conditions
@Skihappy, if train is your preferred mode of transport, then suggest you look at www.seat61.com, he has given me lots of food for thought of catching the train to Austria which I had never considered as always flown. I love the train and used to only use the ski train down to Bourg st Maurice for that area, then discovered Austria! I had not thought the train was an option until found the man at seat61.
ski holidays
Quote:

Not too many trains stop at Langen,

However the ones that do (eg from Innsbruck) mean that you can take the free 3-minute bus 90/91 to Stüben which is a great base for access to the Arlberg area.
If you're staying at the Hotel Arlberg itself the bus stops right outside the hotel Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

Where is as good or even better than La Plagne

Les Arcs

The first time I went skiing by train there were two trains waiting in Calais station: one to Bourg st Maurice and one to St Anton. I suspect neither run any more. Since the sleeper trains have stopped running from Calais I haven't used the train. The prospect of 6 changes of train (New Street, walk from Euston to St Pancras, Gare du Nord, Gare du Lyon, Chambery, walk to funicular in Bourg st Maurice) sort of puts me off. It also puts off the trainline.eu which refuse to calculate that many changes. It also costs rarer a lot compred to simply flying to Geneva and getting the rain from there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy