Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski backpack

Poster: A snowHead
It sounds like the right design but at $140 they are optimistic it wont be high quality such as top brands like Osprey Ortovox Dueter

The lower bulky part of a pack is what pushes you too far forward on a chair not the upper pack area .
Then before everyone is ready the over anxious will pull the bar down hard on your head as your sitting too far forward .
Every year I hold the bar up by hand as the box heads try to force it down until Im all set as a board has me initially siting slightly sideways

It also addresses spare goggles getting crushed as you can safely top load them or put in the side pockets sideways with the lens facing inwards .

The pack may have other issues but the above seems about right generally the next version will address some issue or other .
A lift pack probably doesnt need such a optimal back fit such as Osprey packs with two back lenght sizes .

Neck size in the upper strap width is a point to check with jackets and layers

Hiking and/or ski touring with weight in a larger size pack is a different matter

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-11-19 8:53; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AndreSilva wrote:
Hi guys!

I was about to buy a Ortovox Freerider when I found this online: http://www.liftrider.me/
Did anyone here tried it ? I got very tempted because it have everything I need.
I'm not gonna use this backpack to cross country ski or hiking, so the fact that it does not have ski carriers is no problem.

The most important thing for me is that a backpack should have enough space and that I don't need to take it out of the chairlift, and this one does exactly that, the upper compartment that is "crush free" is genius.
What do you guys think ? Should I give it a try ? Do you know any other brand that does something like this, focused for on piste skiing ?

It doesn't look too bad and if it meets what you are looking for and you are happy to pay the price/shipping charges, go for it.

The search for the perfect backpack takes more than than one step!

An ortovox or evoc might be an equally slim and cheaper option, however it might not have all the whizzits the kickstarter thing has.

With crowdsourced items, be patient as they won't be mass produced, but bespoke. This means the feeedback loop is quicker, yet the amount of people having issues and giving feedback is less

E2A, only critique of the liftrider is no straps to cinch down the top pocket. if there are a few items in there, then the rolling about/noise could be an irritant

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 8-11-19 8:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ortovox freerider hands down

Better material, straps (particularly waist) and back system than all others out there. Add that to the removable back protector and brilliant zip opening along with ski carrier what's not to like.

On sale at sportspursuit too atm. Don't get smaller than the 18l.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the reply guys, it really amazes me how every time I ask something, people answer in no time Very Happy

Tirol 164 wrote:
It sounds like the right design but at $140 they are optimistic it wont be high quality such as top brands like Osprey Ortovox Dueter
The pack may have other issues but the above seems about right generally the next version will address some issue or other .

Yeah, the 140 is quite steep compared to other backpacks with a quality history.

SBP wrote:
It doesn't look too bad and if it meets what you are looking for and you are happy to pay the price/shipping charges, go for it.
With crowdsourced items, be patient as they won't be mass produced, but bespoke. This means the feeedback loop is quicker, yet the amount of people having issues and giving feedback is less

That is one of my main concerns: Shipping/Customs fees, besides I am always afraid of "new" kickstarter projects for the same reasons you mentioned.

PaulC1984 wrote:
Ortovox freerider hands down
Better material, straps (particularly waist) and back system than all others out there. Add that to the removable back protector and brilliant zip opening along with ski carrier what's not to like.
On sale at sportspursuit too atm. Don't get smaller than the 18l.

Indeed I liked the Ortovox Freerider amongst all others. I thought about going for the 16 liters, do you think it's too small ? I really don't want to take it out in the chairlifts.
I am 1.78m tall, do you think that the 18 liters long will be too long for me ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have had the 16, 18 and 26l

26l pushes you forward on chairlifts so if you don't need the space avoid

16l was spot on for me just skiing on my own for a mid layer, snacks camera etc. Great on lifts you don't even notice it

18l I have now as I carry my own and my son's bits. It's by no means too big for chairs only time you notice it is on the old small 2 person chairs where the are seats less generous but I certainly don't take it off. When skiing its like it's not there. Oh and the hip belt is great for childs snot rag!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have ortovox powder 16 or 18? as said you wont know its on your back
I top load it best as I can its the right design but is minimal volume .

It has to be otherwise any larger you will fill it with junk

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 10-11-19 19:46; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
16l ortovox freerider going cheap on Sport Pursuit and quicker delivery than from the US....
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1863640?

Also regular size: Size: REGULAR for a back length of 42 – 50cm and a height of approx. 170 – 195cm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A £80 option
https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/osprey-kamber-16-2019

How much is the sport pursuit Ortovox ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tirol 164 wrote:
A £80 option
https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/osprey-kamber-16-2019

How much is the sport pursuit Ortovox ?

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortovox-Powder-Rider-16-Ski-Backpack-Rucksack-Grey-Yellow-Ski-Club-GB-edition/233384910473?hash=item3656d31e89%3Ag%3A96wAAOSwu1FduaxG&LH_Auction=1

Not sure if this is allowed but if needs must its a free market so they say (except if you want your Apple device fixed )

It would be great to try the osprey on chairs vs my ortovox .
The Osprey may just work a tiny bit better hard to know the devil in the detail ..... both would be good .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you're staying on piste then any old back pack will do, preferably with waist and chest straps. No need to pay (way) over the odds for ski specific Ortovox/Dakine/whatever. They are all completely over-speked for what sounds like your needs. Also, all the gear etc etc...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John wrote:
If you're staying on piste then any old back pack will do, preferably with waist and chest straps. No need to pay (way) over the odds for ski specific Ortovox/Dakine/whatever. They are all completely over-speked for what sounds like your needs. Also, all the gear etc etc...

I would agree that you don’t need a ski specific backpack but would highly recommend that you get a ‘clean’ one without any external open pockets (especially mesh ones). Also avoid any open/ventilating mesh straps/back panels as they pickup and hold snow/ice and is a PITA to remove.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Today I had the opportunity to try a Ortovox Freerider 24.
I was surprised how thin it was! I expected anything above 20 liters to be very bulky.
I could not find a 16 to try, but if the 24 is that thin already, maybe the 16 wil be too small Puzzled
I guess a 20 would be perfect, but apparently every freerider between 16 and 24 is either long or short, I am 1.78m and the "normal" height is the one for me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AndreSilva, 16l is fine for one person but if you have a child go for 18l plus

They are indeed very slim/sit close to your back and thats great.

In terms of back lengths the free riders have a short, standard and large. Check out the ortovox website, it'll tell you which to go for.

If you happen to do any climbing you could also grab the Ortovox Trad 25 which is equally superb. I confess to having a number of their packs (for good reason!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dakine do a nice range of mid-sized rucksacks (~20L or so). They're pretty reasonable value too and popular so picking one up second-hand shouldn't be too difficult.
ski holidays
@AndreSilva,

Dakine Poacher 14 . . .IMHO without question, the best inbounds day pack for general skiiing (and I've been through a few).

Comfy, low profile, minimal snagging points means you can forget about it on lifts- mine has the spine protector (extra) and also takes a water bladder (has an insulated, zipped tube pocket on the strap which stops freezing) Fits very snuggly to the body and you dont really know your wearing it . . .

I carry a synthetic midlayer (nano air hoody), beanie, sunglasses, spare low light goggles, spare gloves, ski tools, agent ski lock, wallet, chocolate bar no probs . . .I also clip my helmet to it at the end of the day (walking through resort) but it will also carry skis / board diagonally if required. Great bit of kit . . .

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/backpacks/snow-backpacks/poacher-14l-backpack/
snow conditions
I have an X-Over waterproof backpack I bought in a bike shop. Very low profile and the way the straps cross over at the front makes it comfortable to wear all day. It's also very easy to swing around to the front to get stuff out, or if you need to to get on a chairlift if you are carrying lots.

https://deineschultasche.de/x-over-rucksack/
snow conditions
Anyone tried Osprey Kamber 16??

Dakine Poacher 14L it seems really nice for resort skiing. Will have enough room for avalanche safety equipment, skins, hidration system, etc.?
snow conditions
I use an Osprey Koda 22. There are a fair few 'too cool' anti backpack crew on here. My take is that since the advent shell technology (layering) a backpack is the ideal storage facility. Mid layer off and in pack as the morning warms up, mid layer and more back on as the afternoon chill sets in. Perfect. No unsightly unzipped flapping jackets trying to dump heat in the middle of the day. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Just came back from a nice week at Les 2 Alpes and had the chance to test the new backpack.

I decided to go for the Ortovox 18L and I absolutely love it! Enought space for gear of 2 people, very cofortable and slim, no need to take it out in the chairlifts Cool
I even had a nasty fall on my back and could feel the back protector, great feature!
When I had to use the bus shuttle to get back to the chalet it was around 10 minutes walk, in those cases I put my skys at the straps on the backpack and it was pefect, no need to carry skis over my shoulder, loved it!

If I could do one improvement, it would be to split the compartiment to have one in the top so I don't crush my lunch NehNeh
latest report
Picked up a 2nd hand Dakine Heli 12L. (I say it was second hand, had been used for 1 trip).

Loved it. Loads of pockets. Still reasonably slim enough so it didn't feel big and bulky.
ski holidays
Quote:

Loved it. Loads of pockets. Still reasonably slim enough so it didn't feel big and bulky.

Personally I never use a rucksack while skiing unless off piste and then I'm into mountaineering mentality. For climbing rucksacks you want as few pockets as possible.

I have two sacks, both Deuter, an 18l one for day climbs (holds shoes, waterproof, rack, harness, water and a spare jumber - rope goes with partner) and a 30l one for trips that need a night or two in huts. The ice axe loops can also take walking sticks
ski holidays
I smell spam. 1st post with link to unknown product.
snow conditions
I'm a long time user of a Dakine Helipak which is perfect for resort skiing. It's a little small for touring so I've just got an Ortovox Ascent 32 which is a great little pack, sub 1kg and enough volume for touring or UK mountain walking.
ski holidays
For anyone who things they'll want an avi pack in the future but initially just want a 'pack only' then the Scott Patrol E1 packs (22L, 30L & 40L) can't be beaten and the avi system can then be added later.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy