Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andermatt first timer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any recommended guides/services for off piste newbies? Looking to steal 1.5 days at Andermatt in mid January 2020. First time going there. I’ve only done off piste twice (Courmayeur and Solitude, UT) but am advanced on-piste.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Suggest talking to Dan Loutrel, an American guide based in Andermatt. Route wise, both the Felsental and the Guspis are not especially difficult and could be tackled by an ambitious novice. Same with the main bowl from the top cable car.

http://www.andermatt-guides.ch/EN/about.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many thanks. I’ll be there on one of the 10 Fanc Wednesdays in January. Does it typically get pretty crowded on those days? One of the reasons for choosing Andermatt mid-week is to avoid crowds. Thanks again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In terms of actual skiing, the 'offpiste' in Andermatt nicely covers both 'easily accessible' and 'proper backcountry'.... but the difficulty starts at moderate. All very general terms, but have done several Freshtracks holidays there, and am working my way up the difficulty level. Some of the more enjoyable routes are well within the capability of an average (SCGB purple) offpiste skier...
but
(and I can still remember those days) if you struggle to link 10 turns in offpiste, you're unlikely to enjoy it.
No disrespect, but if you've 'only skied offpiste twice', you may discover that there is rather more to it than you'd realised.... and if you find that out _after_ having skied 200m down off the back of the cable car, there's no easy way home.
there's plenty of easily accessible offpiste off Gemstock side without committing to a long walk home...

A good guide will adjust to you, of course - but a day's guiding on your own will not be cheap...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. I've done one off-piste session involving tree skiing in deep powder (up to my knees/thighs), which took some getting used to, and another session on steeps and bumps (hardpack).

Is the difficulty you mention a function of powder skiing, steep pitches, bumps, narrow turns, etc (or a combination)? Honestly I found the deep powder the toughest, particularly in the trees. I was fine with the rest.

Thanks again.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
To answer your other question, Andermatt is generally very busy at weekends but not too bad mid week
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy