Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PSA: Smoking ban in Austria from November

Poster: A snowHead
Good news!

New smoking ban in Austria will come into force from 1st November, everywhere apart from beer gardens.

I think a lot of people will be pleased about this. FPÖ not, but wurst Laughing

https://www.vol.at/nationalrat-rauchverbot-in-gastronomie-ab-november-fix/6270778

From Google Translate:
Quote:
This will prohibit smoking in all public places where food and drinks are manufactured, processed, administered or consumed. It also includes meetings in parish halls and firefighters, marquees, multipurpose spaces, as well as educational facilities and open spaces, where children and adolescents are supervised and hosted (e.g., boarding schools). The ban also applies to shishas and e-cigarettes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@clarky999, Good news......... I wonder if a terrace overlooking the mountain is classed as a beer garden?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Woohoo!

@Markymark29, Yeah, that's what I was wondering. It's almost as bad sitting outside at a restaurant when someone at the next table is smoking as it is inside. At least smoky bars should be a thing of the past.

I hope it also has the secondary effect of reducing smoking in the population overall. It is much more prevalent in Austria than in the UK, and I think that's probably due to the reduction following the smoking ban.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, yep!

They say Gastgarten oder ähnliches - guest garden or similar - so I assume smoking will be permitted on terraces like that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would assume this is based on the FPÖ not going back into Government after the next election, they are suggesting smokers vote for them in the election in the autumn.

Smoking outside seems pretty general, even the UK allows smoking outside pubs.

The article mentions that smoking would be banned in "Festzelte", which I guess would cover tents of any size eg the various covered "ice bars" and similar dotted around the pistes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great news!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its like Germany.

Smoking is banned at Oktoberfest in all Festzelte but its OK in the Biergartens round the Tents.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yay, not before time.

Sitting outside bars/ restaurants isn't really a good tactic for those who wish to breathe in most parts of the world still.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, it’s great news, though there’s a perverse part of me that will almost miss the nostalgic time warp feel of heading into a smoke filled bar (though not for long). Some of the ones in Vienna in particular are crazy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent! This is the main reason we've not tried Austria. I'll have to see what we've been missing. (Although I already have two holidays planned in 2020 so it'll probably have to wait until 2021)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/MXXRHpVed3M
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good news.

We stopped at a gas station in Lienz (southern Austria) a few months back.

It had a smoking room. The place smelt like a freakin' trashcan.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think this is terrible news!

Do you people not remember what it was like when the ban came in in Scotland, and then England? Without the mask of tobacco smoke you'll walk in to your favourite Austrian apres bar and smell the stale beer and sweat that's become embedded in the fabric of the building spoo
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.thelocal.at/20190703/austria-to-finally-ban-smoking-in-bars-and-restaurants

If you want to read it in English
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking forward to smoke free bars in Austria from midnight tonight. Cool
snow report
@DB, I think I'll give them a week or two to clear out the smell, but yeah, it's about time Very Happy There's one I've been avoiding but looking forward to visiting. Apparently the view is pretty good.
latest report
this is excellent news.
ski holidays
@Scarlet,
Yes there are quite a few bars that friends from the ‚ski club wien’ and I wan‘t to try out in Vienna once the smoke clears. Temps were around zero last night so it was probably a cold shock for the smokers after midnight.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Good news.

We stopped at a gas station in Lienz (southern Austria) a few months back.

It had a smoking room. The place smelt like a freakin' trashcan.

Not dissimilar to airport smoking rooms, especially in Asia. I guess it is good for the smokers.. they don’t have to shell out for cigarettes; just walk into one of those rooms and breathe deeply. Foul!
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/t7KklGt5cfI
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/XDp-rPWTmrc
snow report
In the early hours of november when the smoking ban came into force, the police in Vienna checked around 250 public establishments. In only one place did the police find customers still smoking.

Two brothers in a football bar named Chelsea refused to put out their cigarettes so security called the police and they were arrested.
https://www.diepresse.com/5716115/rauchverbot-fuhrt-zu-erstem-polizeieinsatz-in-wien

The initial fine for ignoring the ban to establishments is up to €800. €1200 for a repeat offence and up to a maximum €10,000 for extreme cases.

It will be interesting to see how the establishments far from police access (e.g. mountain huts) deal with the smoking ban. Let's hope that by the time the ski season gets into full swing the smoking customers are used to going without or going outside.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy