Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what is free-skiing ?

Poster: A snowHead
For me Free-Skiing is sking someplace other than a marked piste, be it barely off-piste, touring, climbing up some crazy couloir to ski down, heli-skiing, etc.

It is impossible to Free-Ski on the piste ... even if you had a lesson in the morning (expensive skiing) followed up by skiing with your mates in the afternoon. This is simply skiing Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Free skiing? ... Depends on if the skis have been locked up?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In racer parlance 'free skiing' is anything that doesn't involve gate training or specific exercises of any kind. Even if accompanied by the trainer, free skiing is just having fun, on or off piste - but mainly off piste, it's true.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
what about skiing wherever you want on a piste with 5 cm of fresh snow vs 'farming' the powder trying to match the previous skier's turns?

no preconceptions (well I'm not a huge fan of farming)...just curious.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cedric, I'm all about skiing where you want Blush

If I wanted to turn where everyone else turned, I'd go to a mogul field.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
smolo, yoo hoo, I'm not alone!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Free skiing is what the kids do when their lesson has finished. Unstructured, as PG says, no gates or specific exercises. Most importantly each skier chooses their own route and isn't following a leader.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jane L, is it defined as such in the dictionary? If it's an opinion we want some support for it! (such as PG's 'racer parlance'). What do adults do when their lessons finish?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smolo wrote:
Cedric, I'm all about skiing where you want Blush

If I wanted to turn where everyone else turned, I'd go to a mogul field.
Yes, I agree Though farming doesn't involve skiing where someone else has (but just to one side) it certainly isn't very free, despite being off-piste. (BTW today was the first time I heard it called farming).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cedric, you poach my tracks and you will wish you were alone mate.

Farming is all about being nice to your buddies (and aesthetically pleasing...)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AHAIcan tell, free skiing is a marketing term to sell more kit to people who don't know any better.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is no such thing as free skiing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, there's certainly no such thing as a free lunch while skiing. Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Farming is just saving some space and I'm ok with that.

Just because you are 'free skiing' which to me means go where you want, you still have an obligation to be considerate of
other people. This can be in the form of 'farming' if you like but it can also be things like don't cut the hill with skiers below etc, or in a recent case, a para glider wanted to launch of a cliff in Engelberg and therewas a guided party crossing the glacier underneath his rock band. His jump was going to empty snow over this group and he couldn't see below etc. He eventually aborted his launch for amongst other things, the snowfall onto the route below. I call that considerate becausee must have walked to that point and that would have taken him 30 mins minimum. He realised his action could endanger others as he didn't have his own spotter.

Anything that is considerate in the mountains, I'm all for. Anyone who glibbly quotes there are no friends on a powder day are, hopefully being just that, glib, otherwise that can be a big selfish act as well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cedric wrote:
Jane L, is it defined as such in the dictionary? If it's an opinion we want some support for it! (such as PG's 'racer parlance'). What do adults do when their lessons finish?

Generally head straight to the bar if memory serves me well! Very Happy

I would say (sadly I don't have the 'back up' that some of you want), that free-skiing is skiing what you want, when you want (with obvious courtesies to other skiers of course), but essentially as the concensus seems to be, not following or doing exercises/courses.
latest report
Free-skiing - this is when those idiots walk up the piste and avoid buying a lift pass NehNeh
ski holidays
free skiing is when I'm not working, and usuallly on my own pleasing myself - whatever that is at the time. snowHead
snow report
For me, "free-skiing" is where someone lugs two pairs of skis up the hill past the first lifties and then ensure I only ski past them at the end of the day. No lift pass required - hence "free-skiing".

Not that I've ever done that ! snowbird couldnt carry the skis !!! NehNeh
snow report
I like the definition - anything that's not working, lessons, drills etc. Next question - what's freeriding? 70% offpiste 30% on like some ski marketeers would have it?
ski holidays
I suspect it's a phrase that's been hijacked from the world of free-running or Parkour - a sport, pastime - call it what you will, that originated in France. The idea being to turn running and movement around your environment in to an art form. Amazing stuff to look at - though how it would work on skis.............
ski holidays
In my opinion "free skiing" is skiing off-piste with style, and mixing in bits of freestyle (360s off windlips, jibs on fallen trees, etc.). Basically what everyone would like to be able to do, but what few people actually can do. I would say that screwing around on piste or in the park is not really "free skiing," and neither is simply survival skiing off-piste.
If you are just survival skiing off-piste, just getting down the slope is about all you can do. If you're good enough, though, you are "free" to do basically whatever you want - hit cliffs, do slashers, etc. If your descent is like a piece of performance art, then you're free skiing.
ski holidays
Taking up Cedric's point, my skiing started with ploughing, after which I discovered farming.
latest report
http://www.usfreeskiing.com/2006/Kirkwood/finals_press.html

http://www.usfreeskiing.com/2006/Kirkwood/2006%20Kirkwood%20Finals%20Gallery/index.html
snow report
Im with ponder on this one. Freeskiing for me is making use of the natural terrain feature such as ripping up a spline, etc... Though when I've been doing gates the coaches just refer to not skiing in the gates as freeskiing. I guess I think of those crazy french guys doing free-running where they use the terrain (buildings etc) to entertain themselves
As far as 'farming' goes, so long as you don't go doing zorros right across the slope, why should you have to ski next to someones tracks? If you want to guaranteed freshies you should a) get up earlier b) get in the lift line earlier c) get some touring gear, go hiking and earn your turns d) be better so you can get to the stashes others can't e) know where the 'locals' stashes are f) go heliskiing.
latest report
The question isn't about finding freshies but leaving them for others. This applies to finding those stashes you have to climb to as well. The next skiers may not arrive for a day or two and with the snow a little settled the old tracks will disrupt the snow even more.
However, as I already said, I don't think a slavish and robotic "farming" is required - just a considerate grouping of tracks on one part of the slope at a time. If you go up to do the slope again you may even benefit yourself.
ski holidays
'Free Skiing' is when your boss buys your season pass. Little Angel
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
'Free Skiing' is when your boss buys your season pass. Little Angel

So, that's what Mrs SZK gives you for Christmas every year? Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy