Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites hotel for family - half term 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Since introducing the kids to the slopes 2 years ago, we've been to Trysil in Norway both years staying the first week of Easter in the Radisson Blu resort hotel. We love the hotel and its facilities, the fact it's ski in/out and the resort overall given its suitability for beginner/intermediate skiers plus how quiet it is at half term compared to the Alps etc. My wife's quite happy to return there again but I fancy broadening our horizons and going elsewhere if we can keep most or all of the niceties of what we've experiended in Trysil whilst staying in budget. Because of the desire to avoid massive lift queues etc I think the Alps in half term or Easter is a no-no so I was thinking perhaps the Dolomites in half term week instead (Easter is probably too late being 1st week in April?)

So some recommendations for specific resorts to look at and ideally hotels would be very much appreciated, we're after a hotel offering family rooms/small suites to accomodate us and 2 kids (10 and 8 ) with pool/sauna/jacuzzi etc. Ideally it would be ski in/out although thats not essential as long as it's quick and easy to get to and from the slopes. Skiing wise we're what I'd probably describe as early intermediates, the kids will likely want half day ski school and you'll mainly find us cruising down blues/reds the rest of the day. Budget is around £300-£400 a night B&B

thanks Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Locoblade, you have a PM
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd also be interested in these recommendations... Thanks!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've found the Dolomites to be very civilised during half term weeks as long as it doesn't clash with Carnivale when the slopes do get busier. In 2020 Carnivale will be the week of Monday 24th February and although most UK half terms dates will be the week before this and fine some schools / areas go for the later week which wouldn't be ideal.

For beginner/intermediate skiers my pick of the Dolomites would be San Cassiano. There's easy access to all the blues in the Pralongia area, and plenty more within easy reach including the hidden valley run, and it has the longest gentle blue I've ever skied down to it from the top of Pralongia that is ideal for practicing turns and gaining confidence on the snow. It's not on the Sella Ronda route which helps keep the queues down and that whole ski area is dotted with lovely restaurants which are great for taking a relaxing break during the day.

I haven't stayed there so can't recommend any hotels but there are quite a few threads already on snowheads where hotel suggestions have come up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Locoblade, have a look at the Hotel Stores in San Cassiano. Perfect for what you are looking for. Whilst it's not Ski In/Out, it's a 5 min walk to the lift and you get free storage of your kit at the lift station.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks both, San Cassiano looks promising so I'll have a good look tonight when I get home.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Locoblade, there’s a catered chalet I know in San Cassiano which is excellently placed for lift and piste access.

Requires self travel, although they offer airport transfers to/from main airports at weekends. I think San Cassiano would be a good location for your group. Also Colfosco as an alternative (near to Corvara).

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PeakyB, would you mind PMing me the link to it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, have gone snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have done I mean
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PeakyB wrote:
@Locoblade, there’s a catered chalet I know in San Cassiano which is excellently placed for lift and piste access.

Requires self travel, although they offer airport transfers to/from main airports at weekends. I think San Cassiano would be a good location for your group. Also Colfosco as an alternative (near to Corvara).

snowHead

Thanks, happy with self travel etc, can you PM me the details please? I'll also have a look at Colfosco thanks, its these type of recommendations I'm finding really useful as from simply searching for hotels in the area I'm finding it difficult to determine which are in suitable locations relative to the slopes and also what villages / resorts have reasonable sized ski area without us needing to ski half way across the Dolomites to get to it. Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PeakyB wrote:

snowHead

Nickj

Check out these

Collettts -- https://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/skiing-holiday-chalets-apartments-hotels/ (website a bit slow at the mo )

Mountain Sun - https://dolomitesunltd.com/2nd-child-page/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Locoblade, for the San Cassiano one, see the Mountain Sun link above from @albob,

I’ve also heard good reports about Colletts from trusted friends.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Locoblade, if any specific hotels seem good but you’re unsure of suitability of location, someone on SnowHeads will know.

Be a little wary of hotel claims of proximity to slopes, ‘5 minutes easy walk to lift’ etc. Can mean ‘10 minutes icy path to slow chair’. I expect you know that!

Colfosco good for early intermediates but I think decent hotels there, or at nearby Corvara, seem relatively expensive. Supply and demand I suppose.

Canazei seems to offer better value but not sure how suitable it would be for your family.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PeakyB wrote:

https://dolomitesunltd.com/catered-chalet-in-san-cassiano/catered-chalet/

Here is the up to date link. I have used them many times in the past. The chalet is directly on the blue piste 100metres above the main gondola which takes you up to a multitude of easy blue and red runs with stunning scenery at every turn

As mentioned, being just off the main Sella Ronda runs the area is not too busy but has easy access to the Sella Ronda via Colfosco if required

They cater on a chalet board basis and offer transfers from both Venice Marco Polo and Innsbruck airports
latest report
Thanks @PeakyB, thanks, very useful info.

@gazza330, thanks, looks nice but the pricing seems to suggest only triple rooms so not sure they have the option of having 2 kids in the room with us?

On a general note, does anyone have thoughts on La Villa which is the next village along from Corvara and seems to be connected to the same ski area?
ski holidays
Locoblade wrote:
Thanks @PeakyB, thanks, very useful info.

@gazza330, thanks, looks nice but the pricing seems to suggest only triple rooms so not sure they have the option of having 2 kids in the room with us?

On a general note, does anyone have thoughts on La Villa which is the next village along from Corvara and seems to be connected to the same ski area?

We skied though La Villa on our way to Santa Croce at the Birthday Bash in Feb this year and really liked the place.
Local slopes were really sunny and quiet . Direct gondola into Alta Badia (= lots of lovely easy skiing and delicious restaurants)
Had a look round a very posh hotel (Hotel Christiana) but decide we cannot actually afford that so have booked the Hotel Savoy (bang next door to the bubble).
Sorted our own flights into Innsbruck and a taxi transfer.

Done Selva the last couple of years so wanted to be back in the dolomites but this base gives better access for my wife and daughter to the cruisy runs ... plus still access to Sella Ronda (and Kronpatz) for me and my son.

Am really looking forward to it.
snow report
@sheffskibod, Cheers, it was the Savoy I was looking at actually, looks the favourite I've found so far with availability although with the limited options we've started looking further afield considering the possibility of a slightly longer Easter trip across the pond to Whistler instead as prices seem to be comparable.
snow report
@Locoblade, obviously slight thread drift but interested in your comment about Whistler at Easter. Would love to get to Canada one year -but had got impression that it wasn’t that snow sure for mid April?l. Have I got that completely wrong?
snow report
Locoblade wrote:
@sheffskibod, Cheers, it was the Savoy I was looking at actually, looks the favourite I've found so far with availability although with the limited options we've started looking further afield considering the possibility of a slightly longer Easter trip across the pond to Whistler instead as prices seem to be comparable.

No problems , forgot to say we are going Feb half term (will be interesting to see how busy it all is) so will do a write up on the trip afterwards...

Have done the area 3 times now and love it - Selva twice (Feb 2018 - not UK half term and New Year 2018/19) and Arabba once (Feb 2019 Birthday Bash - not UK half term).

I would say Arabba and Selva better suited to confident intermediates as runs home to both can be steep and bumpy .

Feb trips were busy ish on the Sella Ronda and Hidden Valley - but mostly queue free away from those spots.

New Year was very busy (too busy for me) - queues at almost every lift and all the restaurants in town and on mountain were chock full - will not do NY again (maybe tempted by Xmas though)
ski holidays
@NickyJ, From the limited reading I did over the weekend it seems that although it can get quite warm down in the village and the lower slopes can suffer, higher up the mountain (which is 90% of the stuff you'd want to ski) is fine well into May, it may just mean a download via the gondola at the end of the day rather than ski down to the hotel. I'm basing most of that on this blog from Ski Safari which was quite an interesting read https://www.skisafari.com/blog/2016/07/dont-forget-the-sun-cream-spring-skiing-in-whistler and also this thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=4085
snow conditions
@Locoblade, thanks!
latest report
Quote:

The thing I'd suggest you should be aware of is that the runs down to La Villa on the Pralongia side are either the world cup black or a red. The red is not too bad but it's maybe not ideal for early intermediates.

There are of course some nice blues on the othere side of La Villa and you could always come down in the cabin lift on the Pralongia side if you find it easier.
snow report
@olderscot, Thanks, definitely worth bearing in mind although it looks from the map that you can go down the other side of that peak a little then catch a blue that joins the red half way down which may be more suitable depending on what the bottom of the red is like? (No.24 on the last map in this PDF https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/skimaps/2018-19/03_AltaBadia_web.pdf).

We've been doing reds in Norway so may not be a problem anyway although I think their reds are generally on the easier end of the scale compared to those in the Alps etc.
ski holidays
Yes, you can take the blue most of the way down and just do the red for the last bit. IIRC I'd say that last bit is not a bad red, just steeper than the blue runs and when I skied it earlier this year it was in very good condition and really quite nice to ski down. As long as you're OK at controlling your turns you should be fine.
ski holidays
@Locoblade, you could try the Hotel Gran Risa in La Villa. It is right next to the main gondola and has very nice facilities including an indoor pool.

www.granrisa.it

Inghams have a chalet in the village called the Al Pigher. It is centrally located but have a look at the reviews as when we stayed the food was not of the best quality

Regarding the Dolomitesun chalet Albergo Frohsin in San Cassiano, when we last stayed there were several families with 2 x children sharing a room with parents, best to email them to confirm
ski holidays
@Locoblade, just a thought - Easter is generally not too busy in the Alps, and much cheaper than half term. In France it's low season.
ski holidays
gazza330 wrote:
@Locoblade, you could try the Hotel Gran Risa in La Villa. It is right next to the main gondola and has very nice facilities including an indoor pool.

www.granrisa.it

Inghams have a chalet in the village called the Al Pigher. It is centrally located but have a look at the reviews as when we stayed the food was not of the best quality

Regarding the Dolomitesun chalet Albergo Frohsin in San Cassiano, when we last stayed there were several families with 2 x children sharing a room with parents, best to email them to confirm

Thanks, just had a look at their site and it does look nice but struggling to work out what the cost would be. They mention a per person price then these deductions for kids in the same room but I'm unsure exactly what "till" and "on the time and room" means exactly?

REDUCTIONS:
3. Added bed for children - 10% till - 30% on the time and room
4. Added bed for children - 20% till - 50% on the time and room
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
@Locoblade, just a thought - Easter is generally not too busy in the Alps, and much cheaper than half term. In France it's low season.

Thanks Pam, do they not still get quite busy with UK Easter holidays etc, even though its getting towards the end of the season?
snow conditions
The problem with France is that does not have The Dolomites
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy