Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Campervan in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

My girlfriend and I are setting off travelling europe in August and will be looking to settle down somewhere with jobs for a winter skii season. The idea we had in our heads for a while was to do this in Morzine but to be frank we haven't had time to do much research at all with converting the camper van that we are going to be living in, so with the deadline closing in we are starting to do some research on where is really going to be best for us to spend those 5-6 months.

The main reason for Morzine was "free accommodation" ie in our van to save money BUT if we could make better money, have hookup and still be better off financially then that is a win win.

We have heard of a few people doing a camper winter season in Morzine already with success but after looking into jobs and getting some advice from the friendly folk on this forum Switzerland seems like a real possibility.

The main bug bear is that we we did briefly look into it and the campervan sites seemed to be closed in Switzerland through the winter. So basically to start can anyone recommend a resort that is close to a campervan site that is either walking distance to the slopes or that has access to lifts to the slopes.

Thanks in advance people Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@no.strife_vanlife, well in Switzerland I know the Jungfrau Camping in Lauterbrunnen is certainly open in winter. It seems they do an all winter season rate (from 1 October 2019 to 30th April 2020) which includes free skishuttle service to Lauterbrunnen (from where you can reach the Murren slopes on one side or the Wengen slopes on the other side). I know the on site restaurant at Jungfrau camping is very good as I've eaten there several times with friends when we've been staying in an apartment in Lauterbrunnen.

As an alternative suggestion to Switzerland have you considered the Italian Dolomites? Fantastic huge ski area in the Sella Ronda (many snowHeads are familiar with the area because of the annual sHs Birthday Bash held in Arabba). Directly on the Sella Ronda at Colfosco you get a good view on the lift of a camping site there which is certainly in use in winter, and is just a few hundred meters from the slopes. Their website is here: https://www.campingcolfosco.org/en
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair Pink wrote:
@no.strife_vanlife, well in Switzerland I know the Jungfrau Camping in Lauterbrunnen is certainly open in winter. It seems they do an all winter season rate (from 1 October 2019 to 30th April 2020) which includes free skishuttle service to Lauterbrunnen (from where you can reach the Murren slopes on one side or the Wengen slopes on the other side). I know the on site restaurant at Jungfrau camping is very good as I've eaten there several times with friends when we've been staying in an apartment in Lauterbrunnen.

As an alternative suggestion to Switzerland have you considered the Italian Dolomites? Fantastic huge ski area in the Sella Ronda (many snowHeads are familiar with the area because of the annual sHs Birthday Bash held in Arabba). Directly on the Sella Ronda at Colfosco you get a good view on the lift of a camping site there which is certainly in use in winter, and is just a few hundred meters from the slopes. Their website is here: https://www.campingcolfosco.org/en

Thanks for the reply Alastair. I will look into both. Do you know what skii resort pass we would need if we were staying in the jungfrau campsite? also with the site being a 4 minuet shuttle to the slopes does this mean is it fairly isolated and it could be harder for us to get jobs or is the site near to a town where there might be potential jobs

Also do you have any knowledge of jobs in italy ie pay and hours. The Sella Rhonda site looks nice but something closer to the french border would be preferable. Also at 1000 upfront and €8pp per day it is just too expensive for us.

The swiss one you recommended seems very reasonable at €1680 + 100 taxes whatever that is upfront and 50 per KWH of Electric.

Does anyone have any idea of how much Electric you would be likely to use I know its a how long is a piece of string question but any info would be helpful. We have 450w of solar and a 440ah battery bank.

Is there usually good access to LPG?

TIA

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 31-05-19 12:07; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crans Montana has a site next to the slopes. The site in Morzine isn't particularly near to the skiing. The site in Chatel is better.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jellylegs wrote:
Crans Montana has a site next to the slopes. The site in Morzine isn't particularly near to the skiing. The site in Chatel is better.

Hi what is the area like in Crans Montana. Is the site next to a town or city that we would be able to find work. Also how is the skiing and lifestyle is it busy or real quiet. We don't venture out often but would be nice to be somewhere with bit of nightlife/ things to do when we are not working.

TIA and thanks for the reply
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
no.strife_vanlife wrote:
Thanks for the reply Alastair. I will look into both. Do you know what skii resort pass we would need if we were staying in the jungfrau campsite?

You'd need the Jungfrau region skipass (that covers both the Wengen and Grindelwald ski areas and the Mürren ski areas). The website is here: https://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/en/skipass click on the Sportpass link and go to page 5 of the pdf document. You'll see it says that if you do an advance purchase of the lift pass before 15.12.2019 the cost is CHF666 (normal price is CHF950).

If you were interested in the Italian Dolomites/Sella Ronda area you'd need the SuperDolomiti skipass, - for interest, and as a guide only, last years's advance season ticket cost €810.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 31-05-19 13:14; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
no.strife_vanlife wrote:
Thanks for the reply Alastair. I will look into both. Do you know what skii resort pass we would need if we were staying in the jungfrau campsite? also with the site being a 4 minuet shuttle to the slopes does this mean is it fairly isolated and it could be harder for us to get jobs or is the site near to a town where there might be potential jobs

Also do you have any knowledge of jobs in italy ie pay and hours

TIA

It's about a 15 minute walk from Camping Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen to Lauterbrunnen station. Further than you'd want to walk in ski boots carrying skis, but hardly limiting from an access to the rest of town perspective. There are plenty of public buses as well.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/fileadmin/Prospekte_und_Broschueren/Price_list_Jungfrau_Ski_Region.pdf

The campsite bar/restaurant struck me as the liveliest part of Lauterbrunnen when I was there, but I might have been missing something!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no.strife_vanlife wrote:
also with the site being a 4 minuet shuttle to the slopes does this mean is it fairly isolated and it could be harder for us to get jobs or is the site near to a town where there might be potential jobs

Well if you have the season Jungfrau skipass that covers you for transport on the local railways (as well as the skilifts) from Lauterbrunnen to the ski resort villages of Mürren, Wengen and the bigger town of Grindelwald. In addition it covers you for the train journey from Lauterbrunnen to the tourist city of Interlaken (journey takes 22 minutes). You might have a better chance of finding jobs in Grindelwald or Interlaken. Talking of Grindelwald I forgot to mention that there is also a camping ground in Grindelwald that is open in winter (in fact one of the ski routes down from the Männlichen slopes above Wengen actually goes through the campsite Laughing ). Here's their website: https://www.eigernordwand.ch/index.php?userlang=en&page=home

no.strife_vanlife wrote:

Sorry, no idea.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:
no.strife_vanlife wrote:
Thanks for the reply Alastair. I will look into both. Do you know what skii resort pass we would need if we were staying in the jungfrau campsite?

You'd need the Jungfrau region skipass (that covers both the Wengen and Grindelwald ski areas and the Mürren ski areas). The website is here: https://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/en/skipass click on the Sportpass link and go to page 5 of the pdf document. You'll see it says that if you do an advance purchase of the lift pass before 15.12.2019 the cost is CHF666 (normal price is CHF950).

Thanks for that Alastair i have just had a look.

Do you have any knowledge or advice on job opportunities if were we to be staying on the Jungfrau campsite. I looked at Lauterbrunnen on google maps and t looks like there is a fair bit about in terms of restaurants and hotels etc. Do you have any knowledge of places that require Nanny's ( I know I'm asking habit much here but never know) It would be handy to be able to walk to work or at least have some sort of way of getting there without adding hours onto your day.

How is the Skiing in this resort have you been yourself. Looks like there are plenty of slopes to choose from.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@no.strife_vanlife, the option in Crans Montana might be worth looking into. Crans Montana is on the magic pass which is a great deal for the area and I think (I've not yet been there) it's bigger than Lauterbrunnen.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
no.strife_vanlife wrote:
also with the site being a 4 minuet shuttle to the slopes does this mean is it fairly isolated and it could be harder for us to get jobs or is the site near to a town where there might be potential jobs

Well if you have the season Jungfrau skipass that covers you for transport on the local railways (as well as the skilifts) from Lauterbrunnen to the ski resort villages of Mürren, Wengen and the bigger town of Grindelwald. In addition it covers you for the train journey from Lauterbrunnen to the tourist city of Interlaken (journey takes 22 minutes). You might have a better chance of finding jobs in Grindelwald or Interlaken. Talking of Grindelwald I forgot to mention that there is also a camping ground in Grindelwald that is open in winter (in fact one of the ski routes down from the Männlichen slopes above Wengen actually goes through the campsite Laughing ). Here's their website: https://www.eigernordwand.ch/index.php?userlang=en&page=home

no.strife_vanlife wrote:

Sorry, no idea.

Thanks mate that's great info in regards to the train, that makes things a lot more flexible. Do you know what Switzerland is like for English speaking workers. I know Morzine there are alot of English tourists so its not a problem there, we wouldn't want to appear ignorant and be getting the "cold shoulder" everywhere we go however we both only speak English.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@no.strife_vanlife
Yes there are a few hotels and restaurants in Lauterbrunnen, more of course in the nearby ski resorts (Mürren, Wengen and Grindelwald) and Interlaken. Sorry, can't help with places requiring a Nanny, although I would have though that would be more likely in one of the 3 ski resorts as families would use them when they are out skiing.

As regards the skiing, well the Jungfrau region is one of the best known ski areas in Switzerland! I've been many times (I'm a regular as I'm a member of a ski club in Wengen). It has great scenery too with the famous Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains and of course Wengen has the Lauberhorn World Cup Men's Downhill race (the longest downhill race course on the World Cup circuit). In addition over on the Mürren side there's the Schilthorn (with the Piz Gloria revolving restaurant and visitor centre which was Blofeld's mountain top lair in the 1969 James Bond film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" ) and there is a nice black run down from the top of it. Madeye-Smiley

Edit: I don't know how easy it would be to get a job in Switzerland if you only speak English, I expect to a certain extent it depends on the type of job e.g if it's a customer facing job like in a shop or waiting on tables I'd expect they'd want you to speak the local language (which incidentally in that region is Swiss German, a very strong dialect of normal German - think broad Glaswegian compared to BBC standard English Laughing ). However if it's a non customer facing job (like working in a kitchen) I don't suppose it would be a problem. Also of course I don't know what the rules are in Switzerland for foreigners getting a job, I know many foreigners are employed in the tourist trade in Switzerland, but you'd need to look into the formalities (and of course it could all change if and when Brexit occurs.....)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 31-05-19 13:15; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@no.strife_vanlife, The camp site in Crans Montana is located by a lake about a 10 minute walk uphill to the Gondola. Several bars & cafes all within walking distance with two literally a stones throw. This is a twin village/town so two centre's both within walking distance.There is also a frequent bus to the gondola & back. Not sure how you would go on trying to get a job though. Be aware also it is very expensive there. There is a UK ski TO that uses a big hotel/sport centre for school ski trips also just a few minutes walk from the site. Try them:-the aptly named The SKI COMPANY. HQ in Greenwich London.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I saw this one when there skiing, just opposite the ski lift and return to that part of the valley. Access to PdS area from Swiss side, extensive village of Champéry with attendant commercial aspect for work possibilities. Village bus loop stops here plus train connect in main village centre.

https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/switzerland/valais/champery/campsite-du-grand-paradis-107033/

I've not used, so facilities and season opening you'll have to research. Very nice valley to stay in though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@no.strife_vanlife, We've spent uo to 2 months away in our motorhome for the past 8 years visiting various corners of the Alps. I wouldn't want to stay somewhere like Lauterbrunnen for more than a week or two because it's down in the biggest hole in Europe, when you are living in a small box it's nice to get as much sun as possible during the day. Also campsites work out quite expensive and can be a fair way up to the slopes, especially Swiss and Austrian ones ones likes Lauterbrunnen which are going to cost you >£40 a day. Camping Colfosco is sunnier and close to the slopes but a similar price, the aire at Arabba is a lot cheaper.

Since you are working and will want to stay in one resort then you might be best looking at an aire right on the slopes, somewhere like La Plagne, Vars or Valloire where you can stay long term with hookup and services for £10-£15 a night. Most French aires have a time limit or charge a punitive amount over 7 days, eg Les Gets.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
@no.strife_vanlife, Firstly let me just point out that I originally stated the incorrect page on the pdf document for the Jungfrau skipass prices - it's page 7 not page 5 (I've edited my original post).

Yes there are a few hotels and restaurants in Lauterbrunnen, more of course in the nearby ski resorts (Mürren, Wengen and Grindelwald) and Interlaken. Sorry, can't help with places requiring a Nanny, although I would have though that would be more likely in one of the 3 ski resorts as families would use them when they are out skiing.

As regards the skiing, well the Jungfrau region is one of the best known ski areas in Switzerland! I've been many times (I'm a regular as I'm a member of a ski club in Wengen). It has great scenery too with the famous Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains and of course Wengen has the Lauberhorn World Cup Men's Downhill race (the longest downhill race course on the World Cup circuit). In addition over on the Mürren side there's the Schilthorn (with the Piz Gloria revolving restaurant and visitor centre which was Blofeld's mountain top lair in the 1969 James Bond film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" ) and there is a nice black run down from the top of it. Madeye-Smiley

Edit: I don't know how easy it would be to get a job in Switzerland if you only speak English, I expect to a certain extent it depends on the type of job e.g if it's a customer facing job like in a shop or waiting on tables I'd expect they'd want you to speak the local language (which incidentally in that region is Swiss German, a very strong dialect of normal German - think broad Glaswegian compared to BBC standard English Laughing ). However if it's a non customer facing job (like working in a kitchen) I don't suppose it would be a problem. Also of course I don't know what the rules are in Switzerland for foreigners getting a job, I know many foreigners are employed in the tourist trade in Switzerland, but you'd need to look into the formalities (and of course it could all change if and when Brexit occurs.....)

The skiing sounds great! Im SOLD! haha

I have messaged the campsite direct with a few questions it seems like a very real possibility and with the price of the campsite providing we can find suitable jobs paying the 25ph that someone said then we would be set!. The main thing we need to figure is the job situation
ski holidays
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
@no.strife_vanlife, The camp site in Crans Montana is located by a lake about a 10 minute walk uphill to the Gondola. Several bars & cafes all within walking distance with two literally a stones throw. This is a twin village/town so two centre's both within walking distance.There is also a frequent bus to the gondola & back. Not sure how you would go on trying to get a job though. Be aware also it is very expensive there. There is a UK ski TO that uses a big hotel/sport centre for school ski trips also just a few minutes walk from the site. Try them:-the aptly named The SKI COMPANY. HQ in Greenwich London.

It's actually a sweaty 20 minute walk for a fit person in snowboard boots, or you can wait for the bus. The site was a skating rink when we were there so we left after 2 days (£38 per night)
ski holidays
BoardieK wrote:
@no.strife_vanlife, We've spent uo to 2 months away in our motorhome for the past 8 years visiting various corners of the Alps. I wouldn't want to stay somewhere like Lauterbrunnen for more than a week or two because it's down in the biggest hole in Europe, when you are living in a small box it's nice to get as much sun as possible during the day. Also campsites work out quite expensive and can be a fair way up to the slopes, especially Swiss and Austrian ones ones likes Lauterbrunnen which are going to cost you >£40 a day. Camping Colfosco is sunnier and close to the slopes but a similar price, the aire at Arabba is a lot cheaper.

Since you are working and will want to stay in one resort then you might be best looking at an aire right on the slopes, somewhere like La Plagne, Vars or Valloire where you can stay long term with hookup and services for £10-£15 a night. Most French aires have a time limit or charge a punitive amount over 7 days, eg Les Gets.

Hi there thanks for your input. I can't imagine we would be in the van much during the day to be honest but will keep that in mind.
As far as expense from the Jungfrau campsite posted by Alastair the season pitch from oct to april €1780 one off payment, which is more than reasonable.
Lets say for example 15 a night for for 5 month a 30 days per month. Thats 15x30x5= 2250 and that with the possibility of staying an extra month.

The Colfosco site that was already posted was even dearer with a 1000 one off payment and 8pp per night?? no chance id be paying that money. Also it was max stay of 100 days
latest report
Serre Chevalier could be an option?
There's a free carpark right at the foot of the slopes in Monetier, that seems to have a few full-time residents. No hookup of course but no fees either. With 450w of good panels you should be able to farm 2kwh on a sunny day (about 150ah) although that will be significantly reduced if you can't tip them toward the sun. The optimal angle in Dec/Jan at that latitude is around 67°.

I've no idea about work but Mel@EurekaSKI or sucette might know something as they're locals.
latest report
the camper Van / Motorhome site in SAmnaun is opern all year...

http://www.camping-sport-samnaun.ch/
snow report
@no.strife_vanlife, Firstly, apologies for the confusion over the pdf page numbers, it was page 5 on the link I gave you after all (I'd been looking at a different document).

Secondly, you said about the Jungfrau campsite "season pitch from oct to april €1780 one off payment, which is more than reasonable." Actually it's not 1780 Euros, it's 1780 Swiss Francs (CHF) and you get more Swiss Francs to the £ than Euros Wink (£1 is currently approx 1.11 Euros but £1 is currently approx 1.25 CHF)

Thirdly, as BoardieK said Lauterbrunnen is situated in a deep valley so is in the shade for much of the day, but as you said if you're out during the day (either working or hopefully skiing!) then that shouldn't be too much of a problem. You asked about LPG, I think the Jungfrau camping website for their shop/kiosk says they keep both Campinggaz and Vitogaz (whatever that is). Electricity at 0.50CHF per kWhr equates to 40p per kWhr (According to this site the average UK price is about 16p per kWhr including VAT, but in the UK there's a standing charge on top of about 20p per day on top), how much you use will depend on how well insulated your campervan is - is it "winterised" i.e good insulation both for the van and the fresh and waste water tanks?
latest report
@BoardieK, I suppose it depends how fit you are? 10 min 20 mins?
snow conditions
A no deal Brexit will probably mean 3 month maximum tourist visas for mainland Europe. Switzerland will probably follow suit. Of course when you leave and return the tourist visa clock is reset. Probably worth a visit to Andorra, to get your visa updated if this is the outcome.

When I went travelling in the USA, a hop over the border to Canada would reset the visa each time you cross the border. However, it is not certain that this will be how Europe will work after we leave.

Given 31/10/2019 is the next deadline, and the odds are 9/4 on a no deal Brexit and 1/3 on a deal or a delay, it is probably not worth worrying about for this season.

The other thing which may be introduced will be evidence of means to support yourself in Europe for the time you are there. Bank statement, credit cards, insurance etc or a sponser. Difficult to say what the new visa requirements will be for work. One has to assume that people will recruit on the basis that there is no change, however in reality they will recruit on what ever basis protects their business best.
latest report
Quote:

...Switzerland will probably follow suit...

Switzerland has already agreed a (withdrawal?) deal with the UK. While I haven't read it myself, I am told it essentially passports the current rights EU businesses and citizens have in Switzerland....if nothing else the deal allows us to continue selling financial products into Switzerland. The Swiss are very pragmatic and some Swissies tell me they see Brexit as an opportunity to access our Pharma industry.

Secondly a Canada or Mexico visa hop does not necessarily reset the 90-day ESTA Waiver it is at the discretion of the immigration officer.

@no.strife_vanlife, might also be worth checking out Saas-Fee I have seen campers there, but I have no idea on the facilities or pricing.
latest report
@LittleBullet, there is a separate ‘bucket’ of visas for UK nationals post Brexit in CH. It will still be easier to employ EU nationals than Brits but not as hard as 3rd country nationals who have to pay $$$$ for their visas.

Do you speak French, German or Italian?

The cost of living is ridiculous in Switzerland and even higher in resort.
ski holidays
Thanks for the reply people. Yes sorry Alastair I did mean swiss francs i don't know why I put Euro's

I will bear this in mind about Brexit but like Bigtipper has said we are approaching with a not to worry about it approach at the moment, we have enough stuff to sort out before we go.

Neither of us speak any other language. Who thinks this would be a problem in Switzerland? Neither of us have been. We are just trying to figure out what is going to be best for us financially.

In the UK we both have pretty well payed jobs and don't like the idea of low pay, high hours and low skii time. We could've we compromising on one of those areas but we arnt getting the p taken out of us like some of the companies in Morzine seem to be doing to expats.

Cheeky Monkeys got back in touch with my gf about a position and after two emails asking what the wages would be they basically said they wouldn't tell her. Very unprofessional not being transparent with wages if you ask me. Their excuse.... "they want her main motivation to be to want to work for the company" what a joke, people work to earn money we aren't going through all that nonsense you used to get when you were a kid and fresh on the job scene.

As far as Nannying down in Lauterbrunnen are would it be a problem if you did not speak any German/Swiss?
She is more worried about it than me tbh I am happy to just turn up and go find a job.

We have heard about the cost of living too so like I said we are trying to find what is best financially but also the best lifestyle for the time we are their too. It is about the experience too after all. We won't be doing anything lavish so apart from groceries and the odd venture out we should be able to keep spends relatively low. I hear that Morzine is also very expensive too though. People do a commute to do their big shop to keep costs down.

Thanks for the replies
latest report
I would not have put swiss supermarkets that much different in price from british - meat may be a bit more but booze is cheaper. Where the cost of living really hits is eating out. There is a co-op in Lauterbrunnen and a couple of larger places, coop and ano (?Migros) in interlaken and may be a Lidl. Lauterbrunnen also has a butcher and baker (but as far as I am aware no candlestickmaker.....). Last time i was in jungfrau prices for a beer seemed reasonable around the place. Cannot coimment on other resorts othdr than on a recdnt cycle holiday we were gobsmacked by the price of wine in restaurants although the beer was OK - could say the ame of some places in the UK as well. I have certainly met people skiing in the past who had been at the Lauterbrunnen site and no bad words - main comment was how well equipped it was.
snow conditions
@no.strife_vanlife, If you want to work then that will drive where you end up for the season. Most of the "Big" companies offset pay against accommodation, lift passes and food etc, so they're probably not your best bet. Childcare is almost always linked to a package company unless you can find an independent operator who needs someone. You're more likely to be find casual jobs like transfer drivers and chalet cleaners in the big resorts. Austria always struggles to find manual workers for minimum wage, but you have to be realistic. I pay my Changeover Staff on piece work. For example, €140 Euros for Meet and Greet and apartment cleaning on a Saturday, which works out at €30 per hour but that's only once a week. (doubled for 2 apartments obviously). This is above Austrian Minimum wage, but I am in this business to make a profit.

To those recommendations above I would add the following where I did Camper Seasons like you're intending to do. I am a Ski Instructor so work wasn't the driver.

St Anton: https://www.camping-arlberg.at/en

Located in the village of Pettnau, a 5 min bus ride from St Anton. Season Pitches available but not the number of days you can use them. Each pitch has a hut next to it with Bathroom, Drying Room etc. On site Wellness Centre.

Grand Bornand: http://www.campinglescale.com/?lang=en

Popular with British Families as it is only 90 Mins from Geneva. No big UK companies in town so more opportunities for employment perhaps, linked by bus to La Clusaz and the "Ski Aravis" pass.

Good luck.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nadenoodlee, very interesting insight thanks for that. I'll dig out the legislation that certainly provides some food for thought.

@no.strife_vanlife, re pay, I've never had a company tell me how much they would pay until after the job offer, at that point I start negotiating. I use emolument and Glassdoor (and mates in my industry) to get a feel for my pay vs the market, perhaps they also have data for the ski resort jobs.

I'm over in Switzerland for work quite a lot and agree with @countryman, eating out is the big cost even at the cheaper places dropping 30-40chf is easily done. Supermarkets in resort are expensive, but if you have camper you can drive down the valley to a town.

What you could consider is finding a part time job in a valley/town, buy a multi resort pass like the Magic Pass and drive the camper on your days off. Admittedly it'll be a totally different vibe.

What ever you decide, it'll be amazing!
latest report
Ski Miquel are a British company with a Hotel and Chalet in Laterbrunnen - may need staff.?

------

I have stayed here

http://www.schutzenbach.ch/

10 min walk to village centre, we left skis and boot somewhere near railway station but cant remember where ?
ski holidays
I lived in Morzine before I moved to Switzerland and still have an apartment there @no.strife_vanlife, price wise it’s cheaper than Switzerland- we stock up as much as we can when we go for the weekend (there’s limits to import). We always went down the valley to shop- for price and quality.

Regarding supermarkets in CH- absolutely more expensive than the UK. Significantly so. A weekly shop in COOP for a family of 3 with no alcohol and no meat racks up at 250chf a week on average. I paid 6chf for a cabbage one week.

When my husband and I did our first season in Morzine we saved ALOT before we went. We worked at the weekends (I did cleaning, he drove for a transfer company) and we paid for a season apartment. I also worked remotely one day a week. That gave us plenty of balance but we had the luxury of cash behind us.
latest report
@countryman, swiss supermarkets, at least near us in Geneva are significantly more expensive than the UK, expecially meat, fish and fresh produce. Mind you, the quality is significantly better and locally sourced.

@no.strife_vanlife, I think you are being a wee bit unrealistic.

Not all Swiss speak English, and so dealing with life’s admin can be challenging.

Most seasonal companies are relying on the staff being motivated by skiing.

Thee are no seasonal jobs that give all three of good wages, short hours, good skiing shifts. You may get 2 of the three but certainly not 3.
snow conditions
I had a feeling that shopping would be more expensive, however neither of us eat meat and alcohol wouldn't be a necessity that we would buy often. Maybe a bottle of red every now and then. We have a good chunk of savings behind us but we would like to work for this leg of the trip.
ski holidays
If you base yourself in a larger French ski area, town etc there will be plenty of opportunities to earn reasonable money if you are proactive and flexible once you are out there.
Things like changeover cleans, driving, snow clearing, babysitting, odd jobs, bar wok etc will all be available at various points during the season and will pay substantially more than a pre arranged tour op job per hour as well as giving you flexibility to ski as much as you can. Most areas/resorts will have some sort of a Facebook page for seasonaires where people will advertise for help etc.
I've done several part or whole seasons in France like this, pay for accom upfront, and pick up work when it's offered.
I may be wrong but I think France is the easiest Alpine country to do similar in due to the huge British market, you can get by without a lot of French.

If you want some more specific pointers to work send me a pm.
snow report
@no.strife_vanlife, if you don’t eat meat that will help but I agree with the others that have said food in supermarkets is a lot more expensive in Switzerland than the UK. Not just meat, even basic vegetables can seem eye wateringly expensive at times. I’d advise running a weekly shop of things you cook in the van through the coopathome site (you can put it in English) and your normal supermarket in the uk to get a sense of the difference.

Have you tried asking the campsite if they take on seasonal staff?
snow report
alasdair.graham@hotmail.c wrote:
If you base yourself in a larger French ski area, town etc there will be plenty of opportunities to earn reasonable money if you are proactive and flexible once you are out there.
Things like changeover cleans, driving, snow clearing, babysitting, odd jobs, bar wok etc will all be available at various points during the season and will pay substantially more than a pre arranged tour op job per hour as well as giving you flexibility to ski as much as you can. Most areas/resorts will have some sort of a Facebook page for seasonaires where people will advertise for help etc.
I've done several part or whole seasons in France like this, pay for accom upfront, and pick up work when it's offered.
I may be wrong but I think France is the easiest Alpine country to do similar in due to the huge British market, you can get by without a lot of French.

If you want some more specific pointers to work send me a pm.

Thanks for that, I will bear all of this in mind. So may conflicting opinions its making to really hard for us to make a decision
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
@no.strife_vanlife, if you don’t eat meat that will help but I agree with the others that have said food in supermarkets is a lot more expensive in Switzerland than the UK. Not just meat, even basic vegetables can seem eye wateringly expensive at times. I’d advise running a weekly shop of things you cook in the van through the coopathome site (you can put it in English) and your normal supermarket in the uk to get a sense of the difference.

Have you tried asking the campsite if they take on seasonal staff?

Hi thanks for the insight. All said taken into consideration does the wage that is paid in Switzerland not still make it more financially viable

I emailed the campsite a few days ago but no reply as yet.
snow conditions
@no.strife_vanlife, not the wage you’d be getting paid in all likelihood. May also have visa costs but I don’t know what those would be - there may be a seasonal option. Permanent B permit was 200chf for us in august 2018.

No one does a season for the money. It’s a way of burning money but having a great time doing it.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@no.strife_vanlife, not the wage you’d be getting paid in all likelihood. May also have visa costs but I don’t know what those would be - there may be a seasonal option. Permanent B permit was 200chf for us in august 2018.

No one does a season for the money. It’s a way of burning money but having a great time doing it.

Hi there thanks for the visa info

I think people are missing the point, we are not doing the season for money but the obvious thing to do would be to place yourself in a position that would make you better off financially also the factor of being able to have a motorhome pitch and still being better off financially is a big plus to us.

Ill be abit more specific because all of the suggestions for different resorts are not really working out. If we go to France we are almost definitely going to do Morzine. If we do Switzerland then Jaufrung as both these options are the only ones I have found to be financially viable for accommodation

Jen would like a nannying job but this isn't essential. (France +1, Swiss+1)
We would like to earn more or equal to what we spend throughout the skii season (we wont be spending much) (Swiss+1 but how easy is it for us to get a job with is being a german/swiss speaking area?)
Neither of us speak another language.
Skiing isn't the main priority.
Part time work or Full-time work.
We don't need accommodation.

On the whole as a simple question if we were to turn up at any resort whether it be in Switzerland, France, Austria, Italy or anywhere else without pre arranged jobs, if we are proactive enough would we ever not find a job? I really am not concerned about finding a job and Im leaning more towards the idea of Switzerland however my gf doesn't like the uncertainty and if she doesn't do nannying it would almost certainly be a customer facing job she would look for?. Cheap ground rent, the skii sites looks amazing. The site comes with a free train pass so we can go to neighbouring cities/towns. Only bummer is the language barrier.

We really are no further forward making a decision, nothing is really jumping off the page as being the best option
snow report
We used this company with our children a while ago now, exceptional service and staff that could give you enquiry line.

http://jackfrosts.net

Their current offering is referring to no service last season, the basis of which is not clear. Maybe worth a contact to find out potential in Morzine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy