Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 19/20 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
nozawaonsen wrote:
Nice pic from Obertauern FB page.

Winter is here! Wonderful
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just stumbled across this webcam for Damuels, love the idea of the height and orange markers to see total and new snowfall etc Smile

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, Verbier to open this weekend, enjoy Smile not jealous at all!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski, lifts are for pussies Laughing

We're open now Cool

Though conditions were quite demanding for a small four-legged creature (she ended up in my pack), and me!

Even though it was sunny there was a cold strong wind blowing.

Along with the snow, there have been strong winds at altitude so the skiing was a tad challenging as was breaking a trail.

Trouble is the weather on into the weekend does look at tad inclement, to say the least, and it's going to be a case of grabbing it if there's a prolonged clear spell, or sit it out!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Always a relief to have so much snow this early....at least it leaves me less time for micro analysing chaotic model output

The next low pressure system is just arriving now in the west, snowing heavily again thru to tomorrow, before it swings south and NE to hammer the south and east over weekend.
Temps 4c below average in the west at times, down to -10c in Avoriaz 1800 over weekend.

Next week is still not clearcut to me.....the azores ridge keeps nudging closer to france, cutting off the NW-SE flow, and edging it E / NE.
Latest ICON below, matches UKMO, GEM.

icon-0-99

So hope to see the azores back off a little, or at least head further north.
Either way, lots of early season fun. Stay safe, wear suncream...and sun glasses....forgot yesterday how much glare there is from the snow even under cloudy sky
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, or people skiing on their own Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

"Go ski touring they said, it would be fun they said."
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:

That's never stopped me Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And to keep it simple, Saturday is shaping up to be a bluebird, powder day Very Happy

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
kitenski wrote:

That's never stopped me Laughing

You have a fair bit of local knowledge, history etc to be fair!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, totally agree with KISS strategy Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was just taking a look at the latest avalanche bulletins and comparing snow depths at altitude and decided to look across the rest of the French Alpes and @davidof, neck of the woods seems to be performing the best currently.

Belledone

Oisans

Grandes Rousses

Vanoise

Haute Tarantaise

Maurienne

Haute Maurienne

Chamonix Mont Blanc

Chablais

Thabor / Pelvoux

Queyras
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, Verbier to open this weekend, enjoy Smile not jealous at all!!

Kitenski Could I just check that’s open for mid-week for the season from next weekend?- flights booked to Geneva Thursday 05/12 for kid free weekend and was thinking may have to get as far as Zermatt so that would be great news! (Have looked on Verbier site but seems to say weekend only and “plan” is to open full time from start of December?)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
18z GFS keeps temperatures for the Alps average or below for pretty much the length of its run.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Doccam, won’t open mid-week until December
latest report
Verbier opening always signals the proper start of the European season snowHead
snow report
I think there is a good chance we might see a southernly jet stream over the continent for the rest of November. This might give lots of snow to the Pyrenees, but also snow to the Alps. The Alps is more uncertain though as it is positioned in the firing line. All in all, a good season start Smile
snow report
Forecast was pretty accurate...

Snow all the way down and Attelas couloirs filling up nicely...
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
@Doccam, won’t open mid-week until December

Thanks for that - hopefully snow will keep coming and will be open 1st week in December
latest report
@Weathercam, the problem with the Belledonne is that it is very rocky so needs a lot of snow depth to be really skiable and there is very little high road access (and what there is, some is now closed in the winter to discourage ski tourers).

Anyway I toured up to the Petit Van mountain yesterday (on my 65mm wide skimo skis but I didn't want to take anything new given the rocks). Roads were snow covered from 1500 meters. About 20/30cm of snow at 1800 meters, 50cm at 2200m. Will have to put my winter tires on but am waiting for a spare part for the car before I get the jack out.

Weather forecast has now completely changed and is for good weather through to Monday, return to unsettled weather during the week.

http://youtube.com/v/6S6ljcBvPpo
snow conditions
By and large below average temperatures for the time of year continue for at least the next fortnight on 06z GFS.
snow report
Northern India seeing some big snow.

Several dead. Valleys cutoff.
snow conditions
Good 12z GFS with more snow for eastern Alps, especially the south side.

Cold out into FI...
ski holidays
I’ve noticed it before. There is a correlation between snow in the southern alps and snow in Scotland. Presumably the southerly tracking depressions which put Scotland and sometimes northern England on the cooler side?

Lots more snow possible for the Dolomites over the next week but it is looking a bit wet on the lower slopes.
snow conditions
Garmisch, Germany, today around -1c in the valley and -10c uptop.

ski holidays
davidof wrote:
.........the problem with the Belledonne is that it is very rocky so needs a lot of snow depth to be really skiable and there is very little high road access (and what there is, some is now closed in the winter to discourage ski tourers)........

Well that strategy worked as all the Grenoblois ski tourers seemed to have converged on the Col du Lautaret yesterday, never seen the car park rammed like that in the winter!

Combine those with all and sundry 05 plates from Gap etc along with ADH and LDA and it was almost mobbed if you can use that descriptive for ski touring Laughing

Still loads to do, and I suspect that many will be up there again today but it's very flat light.

I suppose when you think about it, and we sussed this out this time last year chatting to various "interloper" skiers, many work in the ski business, be they instructors, pisteurs or just work in a resort and when the season is up and running they don't have the time or inclination to make the effort to drive all the way.

Outlook very grey and not too conducive to doing stuff, though currently well out to next week, Monday 18th looking interesting!
ski holidays
Obertauern looks fantastic today. Shame its not open, except perhaps for the lift dodging masochists. (Ski touring types). Toofy Grin
ski holidays

@twoodwar, opens in 11 days... Thursday 21 November.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nozawaonsen, I will be bothered as to how to post images Embarassed
latest report
Flew from Munich to Milan yesterday. Impressive amounts of snow in the Italian alps given that it is early November with supposedly plenty more to come for the southern & Italian alps if the suggested storms make an appearance. Wonderful views of snow covered Grand Combin, Matterhorn, Monte Rosa and all point east. All looked more like January than November
snow conditions
@davidof, that looked superb
ski holidays
Snowy Tuesday/ Wednesday coming up in the Eastern Alps along with below average temperatures.

This is the impact of Tuesday/Wednesday storm on ECM.

Widely 30-50cm in parts of Austria and NE Italy. Up to 65cm in parts of the Dolomites.

Looks likely there is more to follow later in the week too.
snow report
Viva Italia! Looks like we’ll get a well timed top up next Friday...
latest report
Recent cold spell has crossed the Med and is due to dump in North Africa
Might even see pre Christmas skiing in Morocco and Algeria!
snow report
@BobinCH, Friday definitely holding a lot of potential at the moment...

snow conditions
With the recent and potential future snow in Dolomites and SE Alps, what areas will likely be open the last week in November? Somewhat contemplating a mission from the States. We did it a couple years ago to Solden / Obergurgl and had a blast. Things looks like they are stacking up enough to potentially make sense? Cheers
snow conditions
@comish, lots of official openings that weekend, skied that week in Dolomites in Madonna di Campiglio last year and lots open. Also Cortina d'Ampezzo also opens then. I think some resorts will open a few lifts at weekends if there is snow (Cortina opened some lifts this weekend) but from end of month lifts turning everyday.
snow conditions
For five years running (until last year) I skied Obergurgl in the third week of November. Was able to ski right down to the village each time (though the very lowest bit was on artificial one year). As of today, Bergfex is showing snow depths at Obergurgl reaching 95/45 cm already, with a lot more forecast. Opens on the Nov 14th this year, I think.
ski holidays
The thread seems to turning into a snow conditions report for individual resorts - more appropriate to the various resort threads?
The title is
"The All New 19/20 Weather Outlook Thread"
Just a thought.
snow report
@Mark1863, I know what you mean Also screen shots of webcams but bless it’s only excitement it will wear off over time
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy