Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternative to Clubmed for a group of families Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Starting to plan Christmas ski holiday for a group of families with kids aged 5-9. We usually go to Clubmed and have everything booked about a year in advance. This works well as kids enjoy the activities and entertainment and it is all very easy with all inclusive concept with ski lessons, food and kids taken care off ... however this year I would like to come up with some alternatives to (a) reduce cost ; (b) avoid having 12-14 kids in ski lessons, and generally to have an opportunity to choose the right ski school; (c) have a chance to enjoy the resort . In terms of destination has to be snowsure for Christmas so in the last few years we went to Tignes and La Plagne but open to other options. Adults are mostly intermediate piste skiers , and one non skier. Kids have all done at least one week so levels from flocon to 3 star ESF . Any ideas/ recommendations ? Was thinking maybe nice self catering apartments so each family can have some privacy but with some communal facilities ( like a swimming pool) and restaurants where we can all spend time together? Or a different club hotel? Or a catered/uncatered challet?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have a PM
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just booked Trysil in Norway for 22-29/12. SkiStar offer a snow guarantee so if it’s a washout you get pretty much everything back https://www.skistar.com/en/inspiration/snow-and-grooming/snow-guarantee/

Ski school runs M-F.

For the four of us (2 adults, 2kids) came to £4K. That covers Car park at Stanstead, flights (inc 2x20kg hold and 4 x 10kg hand luggage) to Oslo, car hire for the week, lift passes, 3 hours of lessons for each of the kids each day, ski hire, accommodation in 2 bed apartment and a private lesson for me and my partner. There are cheaper accommodation offers. I paid £191 a night to stay at the Radisson Mountain but I saw some places at 1000eur in total for 8 people for the week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bella2015 if you're still thinking of CM - I recommend the one in Peissey-Vallandry
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Oitbc, this sounds good. Will look into this. Have not considered Norway
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skitrack, is this the new CM? Looks nice but £££
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bella2015 - don’t be put off by low altitude as you are a lot closer to the polar regions
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Norway at Christmas? Days are going to be short and depending upon weather, possibly gloomy. Quality of things (food, accommodation etc) is usually good+ but booze is far from cheap so definitely stock up on Duty-Free before you go. Norwegians (younger especially) speak good English.
Nice place to visit without doubt. You just might enjoy it a lot more with more daylight!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe try Chilly Powder, at Prodains 2 mile up the road from Morzine.
Ski to the back door of the Chalet on a piste that runs down from Avoriaz, telecabin that takes you straight up to Avoriaz about 250mts from the Chalet in the morning.
Very good food and a different good wine each evening with dinner, plus short transfer.
In house masseuse located in a yurt in the back garden.
They run their own ski school and it's a maximum of 6 x kids in each ski school group. (This is soo good for developing the kids).
Owners very visible on site and involved in the business and around lots.
They make Christmas loads of fun with a visit from Santa, Mrs Claus and some elves on Christmas afternoon.
Hot tub, Sauna and kids play room on site.
Note. Kids eat earlier than the adults, small kiddies eat 5:30pm, young teenagers eat at 6:30 and Adults supper is at 8pm.
Skiing in Avoriaz, Pre la Joux & Linga bit of Chatel will be OK Christmas week, North facing slopes in that area so it keeps it snow well and ski over to Swiss side of Les crosses should be possible even if the low slopes of Morzine and Les Gets are struggling.

Disclaimer...... I used to work for them
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hudds7, We did Geilo for New Year 18/19 after some friends recommendations and it wasn't too bad light wise, plus they run 2 nights of night skiing and an early morning bash as well - will report back on Trysil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105994 has a report of the area from a person who went 5 years ago to Trysil, which answers most of the questions I think.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As an alternative to Trysil, you could consider Åre, Sweden especially if you are near Gatwick as there are direct flights to Åre-Östersund airport with easyjet. I’ve been up there at Christmas quite a few times, and whilst the days are short (dusk at 15:30 and skiing under floodlights on the piste home) they make great efforts to open most of the pistes up in the weeks running up to Christmas.

Check the skistar website for accommodation, ski passes etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You could book out a whole catered chalet easily enough. That would keep the trip communal but allow to do your own thing with ski lessons.

What do you mean by "have a chance to enjoy the resort"?

Having apartments would be more difficult in terms of maintaining the communal aspects.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bella2015, how many are in your party in total? You mentioned 12-14 children - so I am guessing it isn’t a fixed size, but roughly?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bella2015

No, the CM at Peissey-Vallandry (PV) is the opposite side of Les Arcs to the new one (CM Panorama Les Arcs or something like that). The PV one is right next to the Vanoise Express back over to La Plagne.

I was there in March and can highly recommend PV. It's not cheap, but CM never is however you'll know that Very Happy
snow report
@skitrack, thank you. Will have a look
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy