Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A little bit about self catering

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

We provide hand wash, some loo rolls, dishwasher tabs, and any herbs and spices get left so at a minimum salt, pepper and sugar.

Sugar!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have never been disappointed by kitchen appliances I found in s/c chalet. 4 ocasions in France and one in Austria. However, some are nicer than others. In one (Bourg saint Maurice) there were even coffee tablets for that nescaffe machine, that lasted for a week for our group of 7 Smile I believe it's AirBnb perks, everybody is trying to get 5 stars there.

In one chalet in Les Menuires we didn't find dishwasher tablets, sponge, toilet paper, salt, other seasonings. Bought everything and left plenty for someone after us.

But never ever we had to buy plates, mugs, improvise cooking with limited kitchen appliances.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For those of you considering self-catering this summer, some handy tips wink https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/lifestyle/the-middle-class-wnkers-guide-to-renting-a-cottage-20190614186605?fbclid=IwAR1KpaBjsSLg0l2ChcngDRBqMSLzqy5cr9T3IqcO_83WuC43ySCFa84V-qk
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, Happy I live in a tourist area - so true and the worst thing about where we live - the tourists who seem to think that all normal social rules should be left at home!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I live in a tourist area, Devon, and the people who come here contribute to keeping our local facilities, shop, pub, tearooms alive. Without the summer reade all would suffer inthe quiet winter months. The only problem is that the driving test never properly teaches people to back and on our local lanes - well just look at the reg and may be decide to go back 200 yards - it is simpler Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timc wrote:
Always take a corkscrew having been caught out once without one and the shops closed.

Tosh. Stand the bottle in a trainer and stamp the combo. against a solid wall till the cork's pushed far-enough out to grab and pull the rest of the way.

LaForet wrote:
Egg cups. Apparently some people can't do without them.

Geez, what's wrong with an expresso cup and some kitchen towel packing?

The only thing I don't get is why some people will rent you a chalet for 12 - then give you 2 dishwasher tablets (with a shop what only sells them in packs of 24+).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mjit, because it's self catering. the 2 tabs start you off then you buy some
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mjit wrote:
Timc wrote:
Always take a corkscrew having been caught out once without one and the shops closed.

Tosh. Stand the bottle in a trainer and stamp the combo. against a solid wall till the cork's pushed far-enough out to grab and pull the rest of the way.

An outrageous abomination - you'll bruise the wine Laughing

Mjit wrote:
LaForet wrote:

Geez, what's wrong with an expresso cup and some kitchen towel packing?

Nice kitchen roll usage!
I also use kitchen roll on the very rare occasion I need to re-seal a bottle of wine until the next day where I've already thrown the cork. Fold in half lengthways, then again lengthways, then half diagnolly lengthways. Roll it very tightly and it slots/twists into the the wine bottle top and self expands to hold it in place. And its breathable like a cork.
Admittedly the rare occasion I need to seal a bottle is when I've opened the second bottle snowHead

Now, on other matters, few SC joints have an oyster opening knife, despite every market and even the smallest supermarkets in France selling fresh oysters.

Also SC apartments rarely have large glasses for water. I end up taking a jug to bed for that morning after when you wake up with a raging thirst on (result of too much garlic on the bruschetta and that second bottle of wine the night before Puzzled )

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 18-06-19 13:29; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Timc wrote:

Buy boxes and/or screw tops - simples
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mjit wrote:
LaForet wrote:

Geez, what's wrong with an expresso cup and some kitchen towel packing?...

Or in France, slices of baguette ...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
or cut up the egg box.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Now, on other matters, few SC joints have an oyster opening knife, despite every market and even the smallest supermarkets in France selling fresh oysters

Little Angel AHEM. There are actually 2 in my apartment, as they've come free in boxes of oysters
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and large glasses
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My apartment had a grapefruit knife, several teapots of different sizes and a tea cosy. But not an oyster opener. People have to learn to rough it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My chalet had all these things mentioned and more. I used to leave a large box of dishwasher tablets. People paid us lots to stay there so it seemed fair enough to supply everything.

We were renting apartments ourselves last winter and it was interesting to see what was provided. The most expensive apartment only gave us two dishwasher tabs but I had a box full in the car which we hadn’t needed anywhere else. One place owned by an elderly lady who lived downstairs only had one wineglass, but we saw her son mid week and mentioned it and he smartly nipped off and bought a new supply of them, and two bottles of wine as well.
ski holidays
We leave dishwasher tablets, but in our absence if they run out, they sometimes don't always get replaced until our next visit.
ski holidays
Confession time: I take egg cups to the EoSB.
snow report
@Hurtle, you aren't the only one, la famille Beaumont likes a chucky egg for breakfast before skiing.
snow report
If I found there were no egg cups I would just de-shell them and put them in a bowl. In fact I had "2 eggs in a glass" for lunch at Tomaselli's in Salzburg last week
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, as I did. The first time.
snow report
@Hurtle, lol
snow conditions
I am afraid we do not have oyster knives in out apartment. I am a philistine and gently steam the poor creatures before eating them with the merest drop of lime juice.

Though we have the rest of the stuff mentioned, including a butter knife, collander, sharp knives, knife sharpener, thing for taking stones out of horses hoofs, the one thing this discussion has missed is decent mugs. I cannot see how anyone could go out skiing without a least 2 big mugs of tea inside them. We supply 4 big mugs in our apartment. The guests have to supply the tea. At least you can now get decent tea in Bourg st Maurice not that insipid yellow label stuff
Quote:

If I found there were no egg cups I would just de-shell them and put them in a bowl. In fact I had "2 eggs in a glass" for lunch at Tomaselli's in Salzburg last week

Only 2 eggs for lunch!
latest report
We also have decent mugs, and there will be Yorkshire teabags if there are any left in the tea caddy. We've got a box stashed in the cave for hubby, I'm a large cup of coffee girl myself.
snow report
@johnE, yep..but shedload of pork and dumpling for tea
snow report
Quote:

@Timc, wrote:

@Mjit, wrote:
Quote:

Damn, never heard or seen that method, do you have YouTube vid to show it working? Have used many methods but not that one.
snow conditions
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/03/25/283927259/can-you-open-wine-with-shoe-open-yes-but-it-ain-t-pretty?t=1560925462632
ski holidays
So NOT a trainer then. Pity, as I don't usually take dress shoes on a ski (or any self-catering) trip ... Smile
ski holidays
We have had complaints, through the agents, from renters that our apartment did not have a fondue set (that's because I can't stand fondue) and, get this, a salad spinner. A salad spinner? It's winter FFS.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I confess, I have not heard of many of the utensils and gadgets referred to on this thread.

#notadomesticgoddess
ski holidays
@sanman, my wife would be most unhappy without a salad spinner.
ski holidays
Loved the comment about peoples inability to back up on a narrow lane. We have lots and lots of very narrow lanes here in Cornwall, I thought I had heard/seen it all until yesterday. 1/4 mile down the lane from where I park to walk my dogs and barely 200 feet from the bottom of the lane I met a flashy blue car coming up. The chap waved his hands at me to indicate I should reverse to let him through, I waved back as he was very near the bottom of the lane. He refused to move, after a few more gesticulations I got out and said that if he went back just a few feet I could pull on to the side as I know (being local) that the verge at that point although covered in tall vegetation is actually quite wide enough for my car. He said he couldnt back up as his car is too wide for the lane! He was a rather unattractive specimen in vest, badly burnt red arms, bald head, unshaven and quite large and in a way could have presented a quite threatening persona but his statement "my car is too wide to go back" somewhat reduced his credibility as "Mr Big". I urged him to back just a bit to let me get on the verge and he tried. Oh my how he tried, wiggling this way and that with the wheel with his passenger putting her hand out of the window removing bits of vegetation that were catching on the wing mirror. Eventually we got to "my bit of verge" but oh no, his car was still too wide to go past me. I did suggest that perhaps he shouldnt be in Cornwall in his car if he couldnt reverse it, he said he hadnt meant to go up this lane but it wasnt his GPS' fault. Eventually I got fed up and using only my right hand wing mirror reversed at speed all the way up the lane (1/4 mile) to parking space. Then .... he ...... following, reached the gate on what is a gated lane for a further stretch .... "What shall I do now he said"? I told him about gated lanes, shutting gates for the sheep, lambs, cattle and calves and proceeding to the other end where there was another gate (open it, shut it) and a further narrow lane and wished him well with his journey! Oh - tales of country life in unfamiliar places.

Special tip not just for self caterers - Never ever ever travel anywhere without a corkscrew.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@sanman, my wife would be most unhappy without a salad spinner.

Now I have one, so would I.
snow report
No salad spinner? Put it all in tea-towel and spin it around your head a few times - does the trick.

Mind you I just buy bags of mixed salad and eat them - yes I know you're meant to wash them - not dead yet though
snow report
@Boris, a lot of them are pre-washed, but there was an E.coli scare with bagged salads last year.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Confession time: I take egg cups to the EoSB.

maybe try mothercare for a guardbox that fits?
ski holidays
The apartment we stayed in on our last trip to Åre was the best we have ever had regards kitchen things. Great quality pans (induction hob), good selection of trays and pyrex dishes, mixing bowls, salad bowls, great cutlery and best of all, a really good and properly sharp chef's knife.
snow conditions
Quote:

No salad spinner? Put it all in tea-towel and spin it around your head a few times - does the trick.

Isn't that what a collader and string is for?

I still remember the look of total bafelment from one of my friends in our apartment when I loaded the shedded lettuce into the sald spinner and got it whirring. Not only had he never seen one before but never even conceived that such an amazing device could exist. (They are also good for socks and "smalls" if you ever need to hand wash them)
Quote:

not dead yet though

Probably true from most of the posters on this forum
snow report
have a nice neighbour. I have a quite elderly one and I often do her shopping and recycling. I do not rent out my place but often have friends' children to stay. I tell them to ask my neighbour if they arrive late and need emergency milk etc. She is happy to oblige. Quite often when I go out after the place is better than when i left it. We replace kitchen staples, soap and loo rolls as we go along. No money changes hands. Well brought up young people are a joy. If you do it on a commercial basis with decent people you might even end up with more olive oil than when you started.
latest report
@thecramps, sis in law tried induction,

after the 5th phone call,

“the hob’s not working, it’s not getting hot”,
“Is there a pan on it?”
“No” ...

she went back to halogen.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@thecramps, sis in law tried induction,

after the 5th phone call,

“the hob’s not working, it’s not getting hot”,
“Is there a pan on it?”
“No” ...

she went back to halogen.

We went to an apartment with a newly installed induction hob. Only one of the pans worked on it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy