Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new member in need of advice

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, new to the forum and just looking for some advice.

In terms of my skiing ability I am comfortable on all levels of piste and some park. I do not ski off-piste.

I've never owned my own skis before as hire every year. But I've recently been given a pair of 2006 K2 Public Enemy skis no bindings (link below). They are 179 length and in immaculate condition. I have also just had them serviced.

https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/k2-public-enemy-2006

I am 173 tall and 79kg - are these suitable? typically I'm given 169 skis when renting. I guess the best answer is to get out on them.

However, any suggestions to the suitability, types of binding as well as mounting position would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They'll be fine as they are twin tips so will ski shorter and in their day were quite a versatile ski. There are better skis these days though so don't sink too much into them and bear in mind you'll want to keep hold of any bindings you put on them. Mount - look for recommendations for the freeride line on them unless you are used to renting skis that are centre mounted for park.
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Dave. Appreciate the response. In terms of bindings i'm 80% piste and 20% park when i'm skiing so not keen on centre mounted. Can you suggest any decent bindings without breaking the bank?
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
These or give @spyderjon a call at thepisteoffice.com and ask him what he has in his spares bin and whether shipping the skis to him works



https://www.snowandrock.com/p/look-look-spx-dual-wtr-b120-J1514628.html?colour=3651

Brakes will be a bit wide but you might find someone willing to swap
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks Dave
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pisteranger, I presume that the skis have already been drilled for bindings. If so, then you should ascertain what make/model of binding they've been drilled for and for what boot sole length (in mm). If the mount length/adjustment range of that binding is compatible with your boot sole length then the easiest thing is to purchase the same bindings and install them in the same holes. If the original binding is not compatible with your sole length then you need to find a binding who's hole pattern does not clash with the existing holes etc.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
They'll be fine as they are twin tips so will ski shorter, make you 50% cooler, and in their day were quite a versatile ski.


FIFY Toofy Grin
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
@pisteranger, I presume that the skis have already been drilled for bindings. If so, then you should ascertain what make/model of binding they've been drilled for and for what boot sole length (in mm). If the mount length/adjustment range of that binding is compatible with your boot sole length then the easiest thing is to purchase the same bindings and install them in the same holes. If the original binding is not compatible with your sole length then you need to find a binding who's hole pattern does not clash with the existing holes etc.


Or just send you a photo with some measurements and the rainman of bindings will find a solution (plus sell him on a sweet carbon touring set up for next year wink )
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
@pisteranger, I presume that the skis have already been drilled for bindings. If so, then you should ascertain what make/model of binding they've been drilled for and for what boot sole length (in mm). If the mount length/adjustment range of that binding is compatible with your boot sole length then the easiest thing is to purchase the same bindings and install them in the same holes. If the original binding is not compatible with your sole length then you need to find a binding who's hole pattern does not clash with the existing holes etc.


Or just send you a photo with some measurements and the rainman of bindings will find a solution (plus sell him on a sweet carbon touring set up for next year wink )

That was going to be my next post as I was just baiting the swim Laughing
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Laughing Okay I'll get some measurements/photos tonight for a closer inspection. thanks for the help.
latest report     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy