Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do skis deteriorate with age?

Poster: A snowHead
I've got a pair of skis in the garage I bought new in 2012 ... and I have not used them for a long while.
They are a pair of Salomon Enduro xt800 with titanium and bamboo. Not everyone's cup of tea but ...

I liked them a lot and the bases are in superb condition still but ...
do they just degrade and lose bounce over time?

I know back in the day we would expect old skis to just become ornaments after a few years.

Its something I have never got around to asking before.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't envisage a problem.

They may lose a bit of life over time.....but the deterioration of the bindings may be a bigger issue.

Generally, if the plastic in the bindings becomes brittle....then that is the time to replace the skis.

Re the bindings....generally when the manufacturer no longer indemnifies them, then that may indicate time for a change.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had not thought about the bindings Embarassed

I've looked after them and not left them on the roof driving down a salty autobahn.
Anyhow its pleasing news, Thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DrLawn wrote:
I had not thought about the bindings Embarassed

I've looked after them and not left them on the roof driving down a salty autobahn.
Anyhow its pleasing news, Thanks.

This is even more relevant to me, which is why I know a little about it. I still own skis that were bought in 2005 (Atomic SL 11) and are absolutely mint, only having been used for about 4 weeks skiing...but the bindings are no longer indemnified and even though they look fine, I have no way of knowing for sure.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 23-05-19 20:25; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not as much/ as fast as the pilot
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DrLawn, no, not really.

@Old Fartbag, not indemnified means you won’t be able to get them adjusted in the US sue as in the US the retailer/workshop would not be indemnified against losses by the manufacturer if there’s an issue. To the extent that I can determine, that’s not a problem in France.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr Lawn , The skis will be fine. Z series bindings from then will still have a good few years in them before indemnity will be an issue.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think I'll drive down to the EoSB next year and take some old skis with me.

Cheers @spyderjon, I'm pleased you popped in and gave me a comment on these.
And @Old Fartbag I've still got a pair of Volkl "Snow Rangers" from 1996 in the garage as well, they may not be mint anymore .. I used to have them serviced every week, there might not be much left of them.
As they are "pre parabolix" I dont know if I can still drive them. (These were classed as "Fat Boys" back in the day Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag, 2005 SL11's should have the Neox bindings in which case you're still good to go (they were renamed the X series and are in the 18/19 Tech Manual). If for some reason they're the older C series/Race bindings then definately don't use them it's not a case of if they'll break but when. However, IIRC the SL 11 skis had some kind of composite content within (like the Metron range) which did breakdown with age.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 23-05-19 21:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
Old Fartbag, 2005 SL11's should have the Neox bindings in which case you're still good to go (they were renamed the X series and are in the 18/19 Tech Manual). If for some reason they're the older C series/Race bindings then definately don't use them it's not a case of if they'll break but when.

They have the CR 412 bindings....that had the heel pieces replaced after the recall.

Actually, even though I got them in 05, I think they are the 04 model: https://www.ski-review.com/ski_reviews/review/atomic_sl11_sl11_2004/

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 23-05-19 21:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
....They have the CR 412 bindings....that had the heel pieces replaced after the recall.

That's a shame. After seeing a couple go ping on my torque tester I certainly wouldn't use them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
....They have the CR 412 bindings....that had the heel pieces replaced after the recall.

That's a shame. After seeing a couple go ping on my torque tester I certainly wouldn't use them.

If they pass a torque test, are they still unsafe?

Do S&R, or alpine shops generally have torque testers? As I'm in NI, I could bring them to S&R Dublin.

Did the ones that went pop, have the older defective heel pieces?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Old Fartbag wrote:

Yep. Just 'cause they pass the test there and then doesn't make them safe. The manufacturers continually test their bindings (I believe it's as part of the TUV certification requirements) and they don't withdraw the indemnification for fun. Many bindings have been on the indemnified list for donkeys years so it's certainly not a commercial scam etc. Just because French shops ignore the system doesn't mean it's ok.

Old Fartbag wrote:
Do S&R, or alpine shops generally have torque testers? As I'm in NI, I could bring them to S&R Dublin

Very few shops have them. I think there's only 4/5 in the UK and none of the S&R stores have them.

Old Fartbag wrote:

They were both toe binding base plate failures.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Yep. Just 'cause they pass the test there and then doesn't make them safe. The manufacturers continually test their bindings (I believe it's as part of the TUV certification requirements) and they don't withdraw the indemnification for fun. Many bindings have been on the indemnified list for donkeys years so it's certainly not a commercial scam etc. Just because French shops ignore the system doesn't mean it's ok.

Old Fartbag wrote:
Do S&R, or alpine shops generally have torque testers? As I'm in NI, I could bring them to S&R Dublin

Very few shops have them. I think there's only 4/5 in the UK and none of the S&R stores have them.

Old Fartbag wrote:

They were both toe binding base plate failures.

Thank you Sir.

I love the skis.....but reluctantly, I think it wise to take your advice.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@spyderjon, I have some 2004/5 Dynastar Skicross 10 skis with matching Look bindings. Are these likely to be indemnified still?
latest report
Alastair wrote:
@spyderjon, I have some 2004/5 Dynastar Skicross 10 skis with matching Look bindings. Are these likely to be indemnified still?

Now look what I've started!!
snow report
Alastair wrote:

Indemification is model specific so I'd need to know the exact binding model details to check. Dynastar binding are rebadged Looks (same parent group) but they have their own model numbers/names.
snow report
@spyderjon, Thanks - I thought you might say that. Sadly I have no idea. I shall ask in a ski shop in resort.
ski holidays
Alastair wrote:
@spyderjon, Thanks - I thought you might say that. Sadly I have no idea. I shall ask in a ski shop in resort.

Post pics of the toe & heel
snow report
@Old Fartbag, SL11s were once the ski you saw everywhere. There was nothing better on a dry slope or carving down a really firm piste. I loved my pair but stopped using them when the bases were more araldite than polyethylene.
latest report
johnE wrote:
@Old Fartbag, SL11s were once the ski you saw everywhere. There was nothing better on a dry slope or carving down a really firm piste. I loved my pair but stopped using them when the bases were more araldite than polyethylene.

They seem to have 2 invisible settings. They have a comfortable, cruising about setting.....but put the work in and they became a hugely powerful, reactive slalom ski....which could easily put you on your ar$e, if your weight went onto the tails.

The skis, bases (and bindings) look almost new. Sad
latest report
Newer = better.

Those planks are nearly a decade old.

Practically a museum piece.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy