Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiers Take On Everest

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Two Scandinavians set off yesterday to ski down the North Side of Mount Everest. But, although around 20 people have tried this before, it has never been done successfully... some failed to reach the peak; a French snowboarder, Marco Siffredi disappeared entirely.

Swede, Tomas Olsson and Norwegian co-climber, Tormod Granheim have been preparing themselves in Chamonix, France for the past few months.
They hope to climb from base camp at 6,400m to the 8,850m summit in one go sometime in May and then get a clean run down the North side.

However, in case you were thinking of short-listing this as the family ski trip for half term next year, the cost of climbing Everest is typically between 20 and 30 thousand pounds per person.

more

A previous attempt
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A bit of hyperbole from the Swedes. Siffredi skied down the Norton couloir stopping at the North Col before proceeding to base camp. He dissapeared the following year attempting the more direct Hornbein Couloir. I don't give the Swedes much chance if this is what they are attempting given their relative lack of experience.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 23-08-06 14:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The two of them have prepared as much as is possible and are as capable as any other of completing their goal. I know the guys both personally and all i wish them is the best of luck. Marco, too was a friend of the shop's and it's always a tragedy when people don't return, however it seems to be that which they persue to their death, the control of their destiny and not the pushing of limits. I feel a little sad that maybe the guys might not return, no matter how often we loose clients this way there is still no way for those left behind to rationalise with the loss. Good luck to them both. Little Angel
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It seems like Olsson's not the only Swede attampting the ski down Everest this year... more here
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ise wrote:
davidof, the same team that descended Cho Oyu isn't it? I thought their CV was fairly impressive. Old news, although I'd completely forgotten it was scheduled around now :D

Having looked around a bit it seems like they will ski the Voie Normale to the north col then down from there. No one seems keen to go back to the much purer "Hornbein" route.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What's makes the Hornbein Couloir so particularly dangerous?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin wrote:
What's makes the Hornbein Couloir so particularly dangerous?

Difficult to climb then ski down which means you are skiing it "on spec", steep - sections at 55 degrees, ice, seracs, cliffs plus no-one has skied or boarded it yet. But it is seen as the "perfect line" on Everest. Someone will do it one day... maybe the Swedes?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy