Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Metron B5: an intermediate's view

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski: Atomic Metron B5 (162)
Me: 5'10", 220lbs unconfident intermediate
Where: SkiWelt (Soll)
Conditions: Perfect early in the week with a little powder. Slushy/icy conditions towards the end.

Review: Wow! I'd intended to try a few different skis for the week but ended up keeping the B5s for the entire time as I liked them that much. I was a bit wary when given them by the ski hire shop as they're usually described as advanced/expert skis and I'm definitely not in that category, but the the guy in the shop was adamant that they'd be fine so I gave them a go. I'm glad I did. I've never felt so confident in a pair of skis, I felt they'd cope with anything that I threw at them. The grip was fantastic, and they cut through the slush and crud with ease. I tried them slightly off-piste during a lesson and found good float through the deeper stuff.

Overall they gave me a lot of confidence, and my skiing improved dramatically as a result. I'm not sure that a much lighter skier of my ability would like them, but for a heavier skier they're superb. Don't try doing jumps with them though Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dr Che, A lighter skier would just 'downsize' to 154s. I also find them very enjoyable, but hate them on the slushy conditions to which you refer - possibly because I find them fidgety (tecchy term!) in a straight line which exacerbates the normal push-pull of slushy snow --suggesting that I am not good enough.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eEvans, I agree about a lighter skiing downsizing, my comments all refer to the 162. I got a lot of comments about how short my skis were in relation to standard skis, but even at my weight I wouldn't have wanted to go longer. I tried persuading some of the other members of our party to hire a pair but they were all put off a little by the weight -- I couldn't persuade them that they didn't "ski heavy"!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 30-03-06 16:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dr Che, the B5 of this season is a good deal lighter than the original of a couple of years back, that really was heavy, but it skis really well all the same
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eEvans wrote:
Dr Che, A lighter skier would just 'downsize' to 154s. I also find them very enjoyable, but hate them on the slushy conditions to which you refer - possibly because I find them fidgety (tecchy term!) in a straight line which exacerbates the normal push-pull of slushy snow --suggesting that I am not good enough.

I also find them very twitchy. Best to always keep them on an edge.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I didn't find them twitchy, but tried to keep them on an edge anyway. Didn't always succeed though Smile I'm not generally a fast skier though so probably wasn't pushing them as hard as many people would have.

CEM, Being a hire ski it's possible it was last season's model -- I don't know to be honest. The B5s were considerably heavier than the Dynamics I skied in France last year, but I never had to carry them too far so the weight wasn't really an issue!

The big question for me now, is where can I get a cheap pair of new B5s? snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, I think the (lighter) bindings were only introduced for this year's model ??
Dr Che, Target price should be c£349 (or was it £359) which is what snowHead had them from S&R at the end of last season. Before you look , they don't stock them this year !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eEvans, so far the cheapest I've seen online is about £412 Sad Standard price seems to be £590!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eEvans, yep the lighter alloy bindind was for this season , makes quite a differnce. i actually found the the M11 was a better all round ski, little softer in the shovel than the B5, mind you they have used B5 technology in the M11 for next season which makes it even closer in performance for a bit less cash
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr Che, welcome to the b5 club Cool. The 04/05 b5's have a strong orange colour right around the tips & tails whilst on the 05/06's the left side of the tips & tails are a beige colour & the right side is a reddish colour.

Whilst the bindings on the 05/06 ski are 1.1lbs lighter per ski the demo bindings are waaay heavier making the ski the same weight as the 04/05 model. The 04/05 model c/w demo bindings is mega heavy to carry but this is not noticeable when skied.

As eEvans said, S&R were selling them at £359 in last season's sale which was a real bargain but they're no longer offering the b5's. Try Glide & Slide at Otley on 01943 461136 & if you haggle hard you should get them highish £300's inc UK shipping.

CEM wrote:
I actually found the the M11 was a better all round ski.....

Not for a 210lb'er like me I'm afraid Embarassed. The 162 b5 is ideal for intermediates over 170lbs & higher level skiers of a lighter weight. Yes it's a bit stiffer than the M11 but the b5 has better edge hold, what appears to be a limitless top end (for me anyway) & generally a lot bigger performance envelope than the M11.

Next season's new M11b5 model is skied longer than the current M11's of b5's (170 v 162). The width underfoot remains the same at 76mm but the tips/tails are slightly narrower to increase the radius to 15m from 11m. Flex is between the two current skis. I saw them in Utah but haven't skied them yet but it should be ideal for those who just can't take the plunge to go for a ski so short as 162. Should also be a like for like competitor for the two top Nordica Hot Rod models.

The current b5 remains unchanged for 06/07.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, in that case it was the 05/06 model. Thanks for the tip, I'll give Glide&Slide a try.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy