Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Pass: European Multi-Resort Season Pass

Poster: A snowHead
@denfinella, it was only to Risoul in January 2018, the freeze line was high in Serre Che and they announced better conditions in Risoul, so we fled the rain.
Risoul itself was small indeed, looking at La Foret Blanc on the skiresort.info map right now I understand it's a much wider area than I saw then. We got there by driving from Briancon, is getting to Vars easier?
If I remember correctly, I could top up my Serre Che ski pass. It would definitely be worthwhile returning there in those conditions but the roads weren't easy indeed.
It was mainly French families and decent prices.
As former mentioned, I enjoy on piste skiing for a lot of mileage but that might change by starting going off piste.
I am planning to use the Super Ski Austrian Pass for a driving week in the next winter. It will be driving each morning, as you described, to rather large resorts. So to me it makes more sense than to go between the smaller/bluer ones.
I read your TR from the small Italian resorts a couple of months ago and noticed you truly enjoyed it, which made me curious and interested. But I still prefer the convenience of a big one, allowing me to ski from edge to edge.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc wrote:
@denfinella, one of the BIGGEST reason to ski in smaller mountain is the lack of crowds. So stop trying to recruit others to the idea! Toofy Grin

I reckon it makes more sense when going off piste. It opens a lot of more options and slopes.
I just hate doing the same slopes and lifts over and over again.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
drporat wrote:
abc wrote:
@denfinella, one of the BIGGEST reason to ski in smaller mountain is the lack of crowds. So stop trying to recruit others to the idea! Toofy Grin

I reckon it makes more sense when going off piste. It opens a lot of more options and slopes.

Too true. Last year I was at Charmey (on the magicpass), 30 km with 1 gondola 1 chair 2 drags) when there was about 25cm of snow overnight. The gondola finally started at 9.30, there was no-one else around so I thought I'd get a run or three in before it started getting tracked. Well there was one set of liftie tracks leading down to the bottom of the chair and that was it - FOR ONE AND A HALF HOURS! I had my own private ski area for a good chunk of a perfect morning, even had to cut first tracks on the drag lifts.

ps, here's a photo of my wife that I've clipped from video taken late morning the following day. This is the main drag and look at the cordruoy! Word hasn't got out has it?

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
drporat wrote:
abc wrote:

It really depends on the layout of mountain.

Some places I've been, the pistes were all "superhighway", wide with consistent pitch. One side of the piste is exactly the same as the other. I would hate to repeat that kind of piste more than once or twice.

Other places, the pistes have a lot more "character", of banks and turns. So one can take a different LINE through each pass.

Yes, if the pistes are allowed to form bumps, then I can ski that 5 times and not get bored!

Fresh snow makes for endless repeat without boredom!

(off piste is a completely different animal)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@drporat, fair enough. Hope you enjoy your Austria trip - it's a great ski pass (unfortunately it's difficult to get cheap flights from Scotland to Austria).

The comment about access to Vars versus Risoul was just from looking at Google maps with the terrain underlay showing contours. Fewer hairpins (along a valley bottom rather than up the side of a hill) and a lower base (at Vars Ste-Marie) so I would expect it's an easier drive.

Interestingly I also ski only on piste, like covering the miles, and dislike repeating runs. I would definitely get bored staying in the same small resort for a week!

Should also say that some of my most enjoyable holidays have been at some of the French mega-resorts; just generally a bit more expensive.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Thoughts?

Scam

And that is based on what please?

the very little background information available on the company.
i) it dont look bonafide & ii) go drop a pin on googlemaps for the 2 addresses given. 1 is abandoned retail unit & the other is an abandoned NEC factory. iii) the lack of proper legal content on the website.

I'd be very wary.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr.Egg wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Thoughts?

Scam

And that is based on what please?

the very little background information available on the company.
i) it dont look bonafide & ii) go drop a pin on googlemaps for the 2 addresses given. 1 is abandoned retail unit & the other is an abandoned NEC factory. iii) the lack of proper legal content on the website.

I'd be very wary.

Thanks.

Earlier link with FIS 'approval' seemed to legitimise it.

https://www.fis-ski.com/en/international-ski-federation/news-multimedia/news/snowpass-card-the-first-european-wide-season-ski-pass

Quote:
Snowpass is a digital partner of FIS and the Card allows its holders to ski in all partner ski resorts, providing access to an enormous variety of slopes for 176 days unlimited from 1stNovember 2019 through 25thApril 2020.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm in a quandry. The pass works for us but I've had a look around other european forums and the consensus is the same as on here; lots of small resorts and really of no interest to anyone, even those who pre-registered. I'm certain it is genuine and I hope it succeeds long term, there is a good article here in a German newspaper: https://bit.ly/2vTEkw4

What I'm worried about is that if they only sell thousands of tickets, rather than tens of thousands, will it survive until winter? I can't see how.

And at 11am tomorrow the price of the MagicPass increases.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd have thought with typical Euro holiday patterns pass sales will be in the hundreds or low thousands.

Definitely one for enthusiasts. If you can bear the CH cost of living I don't see why Magicpass wouldn't be better for most.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We travel by motorhome and did the magicpass the season before last, the cost of living boils down to grocery shopping for us so it's no big deal. I really enjoyed it and there are several new resorts to try but the snowpass offers extra variety for our 2 month trip. Is it worth the risk though?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No new resorts added.

They say more on the way.

Don't have to purchase until 31 May, so will sit and wait for now.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just bought 2 Magicpasses. I hope the Snowpass succeeds, if so I'll go with that next year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Which risk? They have a partnership with FIS, and for a 2 months trip, I'd rather travel around and ski in more countries....
https://www.fis-ski.com/en/international-ski-federation/news-multimedia/news/snowpass-card-the-first-european-wide-season-ski-pass Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kate Smith, interesting first post for new user...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kate Smith wrote:
Which risk? They have a partnership with FIS, and for a 2 months trip, I'd rather travel around and ski in more countries....
https://www.fis-ski.com/en/international-ski-federation/news-multimedia/news/snowpass-card-the-first-european-wide-season-ski-pass Smile

Welcome to SH.

How long have you worked for Snowpass? wink
snow conditions
@Whitegold, Very Happy Toofy Grin snowHead
ski holidays
I've been following the forum for a long time, but I only registered now! I have no connection to Snowpass and actually I just discovered Snowpass because of this Forum and it definitely interested me!
I hope that you all enjoy the next winter (no matter if with Snowpass, Magic Pass or “nothing Pass” Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Interesting to read all these views. My initial thoughts are that for UK skiers it's really only useful if you're planning to take one of the touring trips mentioned above. What will dictate its success if how many of these resorts increase revenue and skier days this coming winter - if it goes well then other resorts will join in.

It's not out yet, but Episode 36 of The Ski Podcast is going to cover some chat about it.
ski holidays
The selection of resorts is a bit cr*p.

They need more famous stations, like the 3Vs.

https://www.planetski.eu/news/11756
ski holidays
sorry to revive this old thread - did anyone use the snowpass / any reviews? Any update on pricing & whether or not it exists this year?
ski holidays
I didn't use it. The website was updated early in the 19/20 season but there doesn't seem to have been any activity on either it or on social media since.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy