Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to Saas Fee for the first time on Saturday morning, really looking forwards, but hoping people can help me out with a few questions..

The snow reports look pretty good, but can anyone any upto date info, especially on the runs to resort level.

Any general advice anyone can offer would be great, places to eat, drink, etc. On and off the hill..

Also, i know that the area isn't huge, so is it worth getting a pass to the whole valley?
Do you need photo for the pass?

And has anyone taken advantage of the day trips to Zermatt, is this practical, and how long would you get skiing in Zermatt??

And any other tips please....

Cheers Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sorry can't help you much at the moment but will wath this topic with interest as we're off to Saas Fee for the 1st time next Easter !

There is a lot of info on www.saas-fee.ch.

I think the journey to Zermatt is about an hour and a half, so if you don't mind setting off early and getting back lte you shuld get a full day there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads, AndyC! snowHead

There are a couple of 'Resort Reports' on Saas Fee - I wrote one of them:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=110802
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=250425

I was there some time ago, whether you want to get the whole valley pass depends a bit on the sort of skier you are. I think Saas Fee by itself would amuse me for most of a week - although it isn't a big area and a day trip Zermatt should be fun (I've not been though). At a guess Saas Fee - Zermatt is probably ~1 hour drive, so I can imagine you'd get a good days ski-ing there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndyC, Snap, we go on Sunday! The current snow reports suggest it is slushy at the bottom, but much better at the top, so stay high for as much of the day as you can unless the temperatures drop and there is some fresh snow.

Tried the area pass in the past and didn't think it worthwhile. Saas Grund catches the sun much more than Saas Fee and the snow is softer there. I gather just occasionally the weather can be better there than at Saas Fee, but it works the other way round when there is cloud in the valley, but sun at the top.

A day trip to Zermatt can be a good day out. Did it a couple of years ago with Crystal (left Saas-Fee about 8.00 am and left Zermatt about 4.00 pm), but would probably do a DIY trip now with Imseng (but don't know where they drop you, but the times seem to be similar) or bus and train changing at Stalden (anywhen from about 6.45 am from Saas-Fee to about 6.00 pm from Zermatt). The train station has the advantage that it is opposite the Gornergrat railway (where you can buy a lift pass and find a piste map). We were due to meet friends at the top of the Sunegga and had plenty of time so we thought we would do a bit of a tour first. Unfortunately the weather was bad and they closed several lifts just when we needed them, so our trip up round and down the Gornergrat wasn't too good. After that we walked across to Sunegga, caught the funicular and had a much better time, although the lifts at the top were closed. Next time I think we would go straight to Sunegga, but that's a personal view. The trip by minibus and a final walk took about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. I think you can do it by train and bus in less than 2 hours. If you want to explore the possibilities before you leave try http://www.sbb.ch with your departure as Saas Fee Post and your destination as Zermatt.

As to restaurants, for lunch the new restaurant at Morenia is quite good as is the Gletschergrotte which is off to the left on a little track further down. We've also found the restaurant at Plattjen quite good. Don't have as much experience with evenings, but the Arvu Stuba just off the main square and up a set of steps is quite good. You probably need to book a day in advance. The Stube at the Dom is OK if rather "rustic" (the Dom being the oldest hotal in the village). There is usually space in the restaurant and the staff speak good English. We've found the restaurant at the Britannia variable, sometimes good, but at other times we've been rushed through our meal. Some of the older restaurants are good, but I can't remember which we've been to.

Bear in mind Saas-Fee is quite a spread-out resort and could involve considerable walking or trying to catch the electric ski-bus. I don't know whether you are intending to take lessons, but the ski-school meeting place and nursery slopes are at some distance from the Alpin Express which is the usual way up to the top.

You can send me a PM if you want anything more specific.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndyC, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

The time I went to Saas we stayed in Saas Grund, so had a whole area pass. There was one day where the only area that was open was Saas Almagel...due to high winds. It's a nice resort, but I'm not sure I'd rush back for a full week (probably going for 4 days over Easter combined with a few days in Zermatt).

I went with a school group, and several of the kids struggled with the altitude, so take it easy at the top.

Enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello AndyC,

We went with a group earlier this month. I would certainly pay extra for the area pass as Saas Fee was closed for 2 days due to avalanche risk and we ended up skiing in Saas Grund.Grund is only 10 mins away on the regular and free(as part of the area pass) bus. Saas Grund is a smallish area but has a decent vertical drop with gen good snow conditions......Generally Saas Fee is a beautiful resort with stunning views but limited skiing of the advanced/expert category.The smaller Plaatjen mountain has better tree/off piste skiing with some steeper areas with no glacier to fall into!!

Enjoy yourself!

Rich
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for all the advice guys
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AndyC, Went in Jan when not an awful lot was open, and had a surprisingly good time. Wanted, but never got to Zermatt as the weather closed in and didn't think it a sensible move. There's more to the mountains than the size would suggest. I too really like Plattjen even though only one run was open. Did the run on it a number of times when I was the only one on the mountain. Becasue the family was in the village I can't comment on the mountain resturants other than the revolving one, which I though was remarkably good value. Didn't do any apres as had child in tow, there did seem to be some bouncing places near at the bottom of the slopes. Got the full area lift pass but didn't use it, but that was because of my committment to the wife to meet her for lunch each day. Oh, you don't need a photo. Health warning .. be prepared to do bits of walking between lifts not all of it's planned out very well and if you don't like drags you've gone to the wrong place!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like plenty of snow on the webcams and the resort site... Apart from the fact that the resort is listed as closed today that is...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy