Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon X Wave Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Just bought a pair of these X Wave 8 boots .... I think they might be last season's model as they don't have the 'SpaceFrame' bit on the side that the ones on Salomon's website have.

I didn't get any instructions or info with them and don't know what the modifiable features do.

Anyone know

1. What the 'canting' adjustment does ? ... I can see that it moves the upper boot around but not
sure what it's doing exactly or what the point is.

2. How the height adjustment thing at the back works and what's the point?

3. What the 3D buckle is all about ? .. I moved it back to it's rear positon but then it won't hook up with it's
hooks as it's at the wrong angle.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rich
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RichA, call my cynical if you like, but I have a pair of X-Waves with these features too. My advice;

1. It's there just to bug up your stance if you fiddle with it. Don't touch - just have it pointing straight up.

2. None, don't touch.

3. May be of use if you have odd feet, otherwise don't touch - as you have touched, put it back.

I just skied them as they came out of the box. If you've a fit problem, then see a bootfitter. No fiddling snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My Xwave's have these, and based on a few years usage:

1. It allows you to angle the cuff of the boot so that it lines up with your lower leg. Take the inner out and stand inside the empty shell with the buckles done up, adopt a skiing stance and check there is equal space all the way around. If you don't have them aligned, you'll be edging the skis when you don't want to.

2. Some people like a higher back of the boot, some people a lower. Purely down to what you find comfortable: you shouldn't be leaning on the back of your boots!

3. Allow you to move the buckle back and for to suit your foot shape. If it doesn't align when at the back then it's in the wrong place for your foot.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. The canting is essential if you're bow-legged or knock-kneed. At the age of 33, with 15 weeks skiing experience, I was 'diagnosed' by a ski as tech as being slightly knock-kneed - he adjusted the canting on my boots and it really did make a noticeable difference.

Put your boots on as normal and stand in your normal stance on a perfectly flat hard floor surface. If your boots are completely flat on the floor, then no need to adjust the canting. If you find that you are stood on either the inside or outside edges then adjust the canting until your feet are flat.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave Burt wrote:
1. The canting is essential if you're bow-legged or knock-kneed. At the age of 33, with 15 weeks skiing experience, I was 'diagnosed' by a ski as tech as being slightly knock-kneed -

but now I see your location is "Bow" so it obviously worked out Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

1. It's there just to bug up your stance if you fiddle with it.

marc gledhill, You must have good confirmation, I think I do also so I don't need canting but as Dave Burt says it can make a big difference to someone with with bow or knock knees.

RichA, I bought a pair of Technica Vento 10 in Austria a few weeks ago and they didn't give me the instructions either! very annoying.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Ross wrote:
Quote:

1. It's there just to bug up your stance if you fiddle with it.

marc gledhill, You must have good confirmation, I think I do also so I don't need canting but as Dave Burt says it can make a big difference to someone with with bow or knock knees.

Ah ha, but I do have knock knees. Also diagnosed after 18 years. But the tech ground the soles of the boots to sort it out and left the canting device alone.

What's good confirmation?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill, isn't that something they do in the CoE when you are about 15? snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, yep, but not as nasty as the things they do to you in the Catholic Church when you are about 15! wink Shocked Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
marc gledhill wrote:
Ah ha, but I do have knock knees. Also diagnosed after 18 years. But the tech ground the soles of the boots to sort it out and left the canting device alone.

Grinding the boot soles or putting cants under bindings changes the tilt of the sole of your foot, allowing you to be more centered over your skis. If this isn't correct, when your skis are flat your feet will be too close or too far apart.

Moving the boot cuff so it aligns with the lower leg doesn't change the sole tilt, but just means that when you flex, you are flexing straight onto the front of the boot and not pressuring one side or the other instead.

What you need is CEM's comments: he'll explain it far better than I can!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It's a term that's uses in the horse world to say the horses joints are all correctly aligned. It's very important if you are buying an unproven three year old that you hope to win the National with!snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Ross, ah, you're talking about what I've heard call "skeletal alignment", now I understand!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks guys .. amazing what you can learn on here

as it happens i am knock-kneed and one of my ski buddies did drop it in the converstion at the weekend that i do ski a bit bow legged ... bloody cheek !!

next time i go i'll have a fiddle with the canting and hopefully will be skiing like a God thereafter
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RichA, the best comments on this thread have been fromRobW, as to what the features do, when it comes to the canting (cuff alignment) it should be done whilst standing on the footbeds you have, inside the shell with the upper clips closed, you need to stand in a your skiing stance (feet paralel and about hip width apart) you need to look straight ahead and have a friend adjust the settings so that the cuff sits central to your leg.

all the cuff adjustment on a boot does is alter the cuff so it aligns to your lower leg, under foot cants ie foot foundation alter the foot / ankle relationship, under binding cants or sole grinding alters the leg to ground alignment and the position of the knee relative to the ski. i find that the best appoach is to go in the following order

1) a well made custom footbed
2) adjust cuff to match leg

this is enough for most people

3 under foot cant wedges (foot foundation) and shim the liner if required
4) under binding wedges or sole grinding (ps there is no one in the uk grinding soles ASAIK at present, and less people in the USA are doing it as the results are fairly permanent and your legs / feet do change over a period of time)

hope this helps a bit
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM wrote:
3 under foot cant wedges (foot foundation) and shim the liner if required

by shim the liner do you mean a foam packer on the side of the liner to centre the liner in the cuff when the cuff runs out of adjustment? you seem to be saying this should be used in combination with foot cant wedges, have I got this right?

I've had to use a packer on my last two pairs of boots but never been offered cant wedges, what difference would wedges make?
ski holidays
rich, the cant wedges like thhis are pretty new to this country, they help to alter the foot / ankle relationship to achieve a balanced stance, this is done by firstly measuring the base board angle of the boot (they are all different and can vary size to size in the same model), then starting with that angle and your footbeds, we then perform a series ofbalance tests and the sensations that you feel are used to either increase or decrease the amount of wedge required. when all this is done, then i would consider a shim in the shell as you have had in the past. i hope that explains it
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy