Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot fitting foam/padding

Poster: A snowHead
Just come back from a weeks skiing in new boots. All well and good, apart from some slight movement around the heel as the liners have compressed - it's nothing awful, but I'd like to make it a little more snug.

What I'm after is some sticky back foam/padding (or similar) that I can stick in strategic positions between the liner and boot-shell. Can anyone recommend something suitable that I can use? I can't for the life of me find anything.....

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonflat2, it's probably not necessary to have your heel totally clamped down in your ski boots anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What boots are they?
What sort of insole do you have in them?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want to stop the heel moving up and down, I have a little plastic thing in my boots that stop this movement.

You probably won't have a clue whet I'm talking about, but I'll try to explain what it is Very Happy

It looks like a small ankle brace - i.e. it's plastic on the sole of your foot and also plastic on the achillies. There is no plastic where the back of your heel is. I got it from a reputable ski-boot man in Chamonix that uses this forum, but a friend of mine also has them but she got them from a different ski-boot shop, so I reckon they are fairly common. Ask in your local ski boot shop - if you can describe them Very Happy

It fits between the shell and the liner. Let me know if you have no clue what I'm saying and I'll try to find a picture. The ones I have are made by Nordica, but the boots are salamon, so they seem to be generic for all boots.

For stopping your heel moving right to left, you may have a more serious problem, which should not occur after 1 weeks skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, I've got a pair of "Salomon X-Wave 8 Free", plus some "Superfeet" insoles (I did ask about getting custom footbeds made up, but after assessing my feet the bootfitter said these weren't ideal as I have low arches). I've also got heel lifters in.

smolo, the brace sounds interesting. I had a scout around the internet, including the Nordica website, but couldn't seem to track them down ... any other details you've got would be great.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the part smolo, is talking about is a heel frame from Nordica, they come in 4 sizes and are available from decent shops, alternatively speak to your local shop about boot fit foam most will rather fit it for you than sell you a sheet. i use a lot of leather for boot padding as it does not compress as much as foam, the secret is to get the right shaped pad in the right place.
what Wear The Fox Hat, says is fairly relevant as well, not so much the make /model of the boot but have you got a footbed in them, this will help to reduce motion in your foot and therefore stop movement, often i see people who feel that their foot is moving, and after fitting a proper footbed the movement goes completely.smolo, also makes a good point, i would not expect that ytou should have much sideways movement in the boot after only one week of skiing, it might suggest that the boot is either too big or the shell is the wrong shape (ie too wide in the heel pocket) for your foot. hope this helps a bit
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got my boots tightened at my local shop in milton keynes. My boots are the right size and shell shape but i just have really narrow heel and achilles. they put some foam grips in the back and they feel great now. They were free too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jonflat2, this is what these things look like. I have Salamon x-wave 9, so I reckon they'll be ok for your boots.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smolo, Thanks - I'll take a trip down to my local S&R, and see if they have them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jonflat2, if you find some could you let me know where you got them as I could also do with some.

My problem stems from high arches and fairly wide feet. The problem is that my ankles are fairly slender in comparison so I can never get the boot tight enough around my ankle without it squeezing the rest of my foot and leg. Everywhere else is very snug and I don't get any left to right movement, just lifting, especially towards the end of a week when the lining has compressed further. It does seem to bounce back a bit though when the boots are not being used and by the next season it feels quite snug again.

For info. I also have Salomon X Wave 9.0
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hayley t, have you tried Tecnica boots?
I have narrow ankles, and my Icon Alu Comp boots came with shims, which allow me to have a very snug fit around the ankle, yet still leave room for my heel. (it does make the boots a bit difficult to get out of at the end of the day, but that's a small price to pay for a good fit)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hayley t, will do....

Had a quick look in the S&R and Ellis Brigham catologues and couldn't see that they stocked them, so I have the feeling that they may be a little tricky to track down. But will keep you updated!

Any other suggestions though, would be gratefully received.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, No I haven't. I've only had my boots for a few seasons so I'm a bit reluctant to buy some new ones just yet. But when the time comes I will bear that in mind. My current boots are a pretty good fit everywhere else and are quite comfy. They are already a bit of a struggle to get on and off!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonflat2, I will have a google around. There is an independent shop where I live so I will pop in and ask them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guys,

I have very similar issues to what most of you are talking about. I have a wide front foot and a very slim ankle / heel, my feet are also quite flat and so volume reduction is often necessary for me. I got a new pair of Nordica Speed machines around Christmas and skied them for the first time in Saalbach a few weeks back – where incidentally I met hayley t – and yes she is really quite freaky so it doesn’t surprise me at all that she has odd feet too!!!!

I have the heel grips in my boots as pictured above. I chose these over the other potential solution that the shop tried – it was like a half sock thing that went over the liner and covered the back half or third of your foot and of course your ankle – it had laces so you could tighten it up. Basically it just reduced the volume around your heel ankle. I didn’t like it as I could feel the seam rubbing at the side and under foot. So back to the heel grip. They certainly reduce volume and hold your ankle stable but ….. on day 2 I was in UTTER agony as I was getting nerve type pain shooting up my left leg particularly – and really hurting like hell in my hip. It came on for about an hour and the pain really peaked on the way up a packed and long gondola ride. When I got to the top I was straight in to the loos, off with the boots and out came the heel grips which I was praying were causing the pain …. They were. Thinking about it I was in pain the whole time I skied with the grips in.

I was left skiing the rest of the week with slightly wobbly heels in otherwise perfect fitting boots. I don’t recommend the heel grips as they are too crude. I’m interested in some kind of foam packing or leather …..
ski holidays
Adamski, thanks very much! Shame I've already posted your CD!! wink
snow report
On a more serious note. Perhaps some padding similar to the stuff you can use in helmets is the answer, e.g. strips of foam with an adhesive backing.
snow report
hayley t, excatly what I was thinking ... haven't been able to find anything suitable though...
snow report
hayley t, Oh cheers for that - haven't got it yet but it may have come today - our post arrives around 11:00am at the earliest!
snow report
jonflat2, hayley t, the best thing as i said earlier is 2.5 -3 mm leather stuck in place with contact glue is the best thing to use, it costs around £8-10 per sq foot, i have a shortage at the moment but will have some more in the next week or two, as also said earlier the most critical thing is to make sure that it is in the correct place so as not to trap the nerves and cause the problems that Adamski, was suffering
snow report
CEM, Thanks for the tip.

An old ski book I have floating around the house advises positioning using a 'J' shaped piece of foam on the outside of the liner "in the void space that falls between the ankle and achilles tendon, and below the ankle bones". Seems to make sense to me...any thoughts?
ski holidays
jonflat2, thats the one, i use a slection of pads either 'L' shaped 'C' shaped or 'J' shaped and customise them to suit the boot, the foot and the desired effect, generally (if i can use a term like that in bootfitting) the pad wants to sit where you say and to wrap around the back of the ankle bone, but beware of the nerves and vasuclar that run around these areas, trap a nerve or cut of the blood and you will know about it all too soon

regards

Colin
latest report
CEM,
[quote/] the best thing as i said earlier is 2.5 -3 mm leather stuck in place with contact glue is the best thing to use, it costs around £8-10 per sq foot, i have a shortage at the moment but will have some more in the next week or two,
[/quote]

If you could let me know that would be great. Am I correct in assuming you have a shop in Bicester? If so, it's easy for me to get there.
snow conditions
hayley t, it's well worth going to see him, but make an appointment!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy