Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to ski slushy pistes?

Poster: A snowHead
A question asked in another thread, anyone care to answer?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Carve
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, Strap yourself to a snowboard - much more fun Razz
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big Fat Skis *rock*.

Seriously, think of it like powder - slower movements all round
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Straight as you can.... with speed and GS turns if poss'
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anf if you come up to Scotland to ski at the moment you can get lots of practice at skiing spring snow. As long as it isn't too wet it can be nice to ski aswell. As nbt says treat it a bit like powder.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't steer your skis by rotating your feet, use pressure to control the shape of your turn. Be aware that you you hit a slushy snow you might get pitched forward as your skis suddenly slow down, so keep your core muscles strong. You can use as much angulation as you manage to acheive because you don't just get your ski edge into the snow, but half your ski as well (gives you lots of 'edge' grip if you want to go quick).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 28-03-06 15:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk, do I recognise those words so well now!.....the Gospel according to St. Phil Ch 2 Vss10-25 Wink Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN Very Happy

St Phil is the finest ski instructor I know! I have found that his explainations have helped me understand what I do, and what I would like to be able to do, much better than any other instruction I've had.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Make sure that your skis are well waxed before you start.

You'll notice the differnce if you are on a weeks holidays and get them waxed mid way through.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

so keep your core muscles strong

Laughing Laughing I think that involves using the Gym! Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
Quote:

so keep your core muscles strong

Laughing Laughing I think that involves using the Gym! Shocked

Maybe, but having just checked in the mirror I should edit it so it reads "keep your core muscles as tight as your flabby gut will allow".
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
all similar advice - basically let the ski do the turning, and keep them going forward. Skied lots of the stuff in all variations this pm - great fun. Mind you 7 seasons on Cairngorm can make you a slush puppy!!! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Maybe, but having just checked in the mirror I should edit it so it reads "keep your core muscles as tight as your flabby gut will allow".

Rob
I didnt realise you could see into my mirror from there! Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, Laughing
latest report
Where exactly do I find these core muscles? Assuming that, as I suspect, I was born without them, where do I go to get them?
snow report
 brian
brian
easiski, and an ice maiden Laughing
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
Where exactly do I find these core muscles? Assuming that, as I suspect, I was born without them, where do I go to get them?

The core muscles shop.
ski holidays
also try skiing in a narrower stance than norm (hip width) - less likely to get a ski dragged back (great tip just had whilst GS training in Les Houches last week).
snow report
richmond, Try the fish counter for Muscles or hardware counter for Mr Muscle Laughing
snow report
richmond wrote:

Shocked do not ask that.... the bit on "How to find core muscles" is in a continence/bladder control booklet the physios hand out....
snow report
Kramer - SURF it.... (nah - seriously.... you just kinda surf along.... especially the nearly clear bits- or you sink and get wet! )

more technical description - don't "push it" "ride it" ....

If you want practice head to australia... most resorts can give you slush every afternoon.... If you head to Thredbo then the "Souper Trail" will give you slush most days after about 1 for sure and often earlier.... (slush rollers by 1 guaranteed - nice rows of them as you come down the straight to the lift).... oh - they mess up the name on trail map and mark it "Supertrail"
In spring the whole place is slush... really sticky especially when it gets some red dust blown in from the rest to help the top layer melt and gum up your skis...
snow conditions
little tiger wrote:

Sorry to be thick, but what does "ride it" mean?
snow conditions
Break out those big fats preferrably twin tips as slush really throws up good rooster tails Very Happy

(NB Always ski responsibly - though its good fun to rooster your mates the guy standing or skiing next to them might be bigger than you!)
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
all similar advice - basically let the ski do the turning, and keep them going forward. Skied lots of the stuff in all variations this pm - great fun. Mind you 7 seasons on Cairngorm can make you a slush puppy!!! Laughing Laughing

Sounds like how I skieed the last 3 days in the Espace Killy on my volkl allstars and had great fun!!... and I never had lessons from a pro... do i have a natural feel or something... let the material do the work for you if you can avoid doing it yourself Wink ?
ski holidays
Kramer, I was joking. Laughing

PS can also get core muscles on ebay much cheaper.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
little tiger wrote:

Sorry to be thick, but what does "ride it" mean?

Embarassed probably not what you were thinking..... nothing to do with core muscles anymore than normal skiing would involve!

ride on top - hence "surf" rather than being "hamfooted" and trying to push to make turns... finesse it.... I guess....

My instructor that told me was learning to surf (Canadian - likes Oz beteen seasons as water is warm compared to Vancouver).... somehow the analogy worked for me.... but then I grew up at a beach!

As I said - you pretty much have to "surf" on the clearish patches - or you get to sink and get wet! Trying to grunt an edge in slush on an oz slope with maybe 5-10cm of cover means you hit the grass/gravel/rocks beneath.... NOT a good idea... keeping float as much as possible minimises damage to skis and me.... also means when you see the grass/mud/rocks coming it is easy to get to flat which is very necessary for not killing skis or me... also bushes require NO EDGES... must ride 'em flat! (and fast - I fail in the fast bit and have to push!)
snow conditions
the tip I remember, ski as if you were skiing on egg shells, and try not to crack them, ie slow and gentle movements, not aggressive, which I think is the same thing little tiger is describing???
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yes - very similar....

I think the surfing bit just sunk it into my head not to be aggressive with the edging.... I tend to want edge when I want to feel safe (after all that slush freezes every night).... when I thought to "surf" it let me let the skis run a bit and be a bit less hungry to crank 'em over so hard... also I think I tend to ski more "loose" in the legs... because that is how I remember surfers.... that helps me deal with the rollers a bit better
latest report
Richmond,
"Where exactly do I find these core muscles? Assuming that, as I suspect, I was born without them, where do I go to get them?"

Thighs ,stomach and ( buttocks if you ski like me).....get them at the smith machine , sit ups , back raises etc.
ski holidays
If I have to ski a piste (I ski mostly off-piste) I love a steep, slushy piste - lots of grip, no chance of skidding, easy to stop if you go fast - but I'm a pervert, I suppose.
ski holidays
get on a board , get some speed on.. bank a turn and pull some G's .. no back foot slippage to take the edge off on slushy stuff...
keep low n hang on over the fast bit at the end .. you dont want to fall over on that slop!
snow conditions
I like slushy pistes as well. Very Happy
snow report
Find some nice slushy bumps?
ski holidays
LATECOMER wrote:
Richmond,
"Where exactly do I find these core muscles? .....get them at the smith machine , sit ups , back raises etc.
Also, where do I go to renew my Artistic License?
ski holidays
With big skis, as fast as possible and with a blatent disregard for all around you. wink
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing NehNeh Laughing NehNeh Laughing
ski holidays
Like this Little Angel

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/2716/cat/587

Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy