Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it dead yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Well not quite but almost, I think best sums up the 'members chat' forum on the SCGB site, I had the pleasure of 'visiting' this evening. I was surprised at the number of mention's of snowHeads (and Tim Browns un-original spelling of the name snowHeads rolling eyes )and various suggestions that the SGCB forum should be opened up again, this by two high posters here! One reply was along the lines of, what's the point when everyone is at snowHeads Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin,
Quote:

and various suggestions that the SGCB forum should be opened up again

Will that ever happen & if it does will anyone care Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, who are the main contributors over there?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, Difficult to know because they use their 'real' names!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After 2 days away and having just caught up with the posts there (didn't take long) compared with the posts here (all morning, no work done yet) I'm minded to think that the club will peter out as "the voice of british snowsports". Perhaps it could be renamed the Ski Rump of Great Britain. Don't think I'll be renewing my membership.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think that it'll peter out, just that most of the members don't seem bothered about having a forum. Now that snowHeads is quite well established, that can only be good news for us.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, Yep - guess your right. This forum allows for much more creative chat whereas the SCGB forum is very restrictive in it's approach to topics. - also , there are the same posters each day which suggests a lack of promotional ideas for the site.
I'll keep my membership going as I get discount off some hols , but I wouldn't bother with the rest as the discounts offered are very restrictive eg. ski servicing ( only be Skiset - what about 'Technician du ski' in ValD?)
The holidays on offer for Silver on-piste/off-piste like me, are also very limited. - I go with another company . Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In defence of the scgb, I've just come back from a weekend away and it gave me the opportunity to meet up with new ski partners and to be shown around a new resort. Useful if your a "Leonard"! I've used the discounts before but most places offer them anyway and there are restrictions on peak times. Not tried the holidays but a friend had 3 last year and thoroughly recommended them. Each to their own Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having visited the scgb forum off and on over the last few weeks I now believe that the best interests of the club would be served by closing the forum altogether and replacing it with a list of links to the many other ski chat forums available on the internet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's odd, because I would have thought the best interests of the club would be served by doing very much the opposite - opening (or rather re-opening) a spirit of open communication and welcoming some new talent.

The forum's only become a bit incestuous because it's a bit incestuous.

Edit: Actually, looking at the SCGB forum generally there's sign of life in the general skiing section, with a diverse range of contributors. It's mainly the discussions about the Club itself which involve a small number of members, but that's true of AGMs too - only about 50 members out of 30,000 attend ... sadly.

Most people are quite passive about their media and just vote with their feet or mice.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To rehash something I said in Dawn Chorus (perhaps should have been said here in the firs place, but the matter came up in general chat - I think that the SCGB has a problem here and in its own forum with a member who professes to be a long-term supporter, and then repeatedly runs down what it does. This in turn provokes rather dogged, and at time intemperate response from dogged supporters. It is rather depressing. It shouldn't be (I should be able to ignore forums, or forum sections) but is a factor towards leaving the club - though not the only one. This is not to disrespect a club which continues to expand, and so must be meeting the needs of the majority of its members - who probably have the sense not to read forums Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If it has 30,000 members and only 4 that regularly contribute to the forums, then 29,996 members are very sad individuals Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro, or.................
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, maybe I should re-phrase my thoughts like this.

'If the ski club were my business I would close the forum down as in the main it allow's a few members to show the club in the worst possible light by doing their dirty washing in public and there are plenty of other better run, better facilitated with more user friendly software forums elsewhere on the internet.'
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nick Zotov, I'd rather give him the credit of seeing what he believes are its values and assets being subsumed beneath a drive for corporate gain and media prominence and in doing that its membership and history is being used and possibly abused to achieve it. He sees a change and not a good one.

The fact that his passion for the club drives him to follow a path that other less interested members find wearisome or even damaging may well be missing the point of his argument and from listening to many of the clubs supporters comments here it seems clear that some are just members for whatever benefit they can enjoy and have little interest in its historical place and others are driving forces in the rush to further commercial growth.

Surely its better for the club to have voices like his rather than have its membership (and thus the club itself) become secondary to the club's function.

To paraphrase, all it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to keep silent.
snow report
Masque, But the club is a business.

Please correct me if I am wrong Embarassed
ski holidays
It's a company limited by guarantee and can only reinvest profits. It's owned by its members, afaik...
latest report
boredsurfin, that's my point, it was once a club, from my observation I think it's management has forgotten that and don't like being reminded of that by some of its members.
latest report
Masque wrote:
.....................Surely its better for the club to have voices like his rather than have its membership (and thus the club itself) become secondary to the club's function...........

I think the most effective voice is the wallet. If nothing pleases, leave. If enough agree with you, things have to change. Maybe so much that you can re-join. If things don't change, you are out of step with the majority, and you find, or start something, that suits you.

But then, there is a bit of an old fashioned capitalist in me wink
ski holidays
But, Nick, have you actually requested changes to the Club ... apart from the change of having a fellow member zipped inside a ski bag?

You don't have to tell us your secret wishes, but have you written a note to Santa telling him (or is it her?) what you'd like in the SCGB membership package?
snow report
David Goldsmith, the only thing holding me back from cancelling my membership is my regular skiing companions wish to ski with reps. It would be a real wrench to stop skiing with my mates. I have mentioned directly to the Club in the past -albeit some time ago -the high cost of Freshtracks holidays (personal thing - I know many others are satisfied). Insurance was aired at the AGM. The other problem for me is your posts concerning the club, and the responses to them. Basically, I have had a great time. But, personally, I would need it no more were it not for my skiing mate. OTOH, he likes challenging skiing - and I have a feeling I should back off a bit. So maybe he and I should part, as far as skiing goes.

[edited for typo]

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 26-04-06 16:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
maybe I should re-phrase my thoughts like this.

'If the ski club were my business I would close the forum down as in the main it allow's a few members to show the club in the worst possible light by doing their dirty washing in public and there are plenty of other better run, better facilitated with more user friendly software forums elsewhere on the internet.'

In some ways I agree, but therein lies the dilemma. If the club did shut it's board down it would really be all because of one member and that just does not seem right.

The arguments apart, the club board can still provide a service to it's members. As an example, a few days ago someone started a thread on the ski club board asking what to do about loss of confidence. Within about a day there were about twenty responses which shows that when a matter of real importance is raised, people will make the effort to respond.

I realise that if the same question were raised on Snowheads there would probably be many more responses however, and I am not trying to criticise Snowheads here, there comes a point on most topics, beyond where additional posts do not add much extra to the discussion. The law of diminishing returns as you might say.

There are times in my view, where a board with less activity provided there is sufficient response, can be more useful than one with lots of activity.
snow report
richjp,
Quote:

If the club did shut it's board down it would really be all because of one member and that just does not seem right.

So why don't the rest of you ignore this one member's posts instead of rising to the bait every time?
If there were no responses the post withers and dies very quickly, as often can be seen here.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, because that member's views would stand unchallenged. The forum would, in affect, become his own personal Blog.
latest report
Tim Brown, but isn't that akin to talking to yourself Cool
latest report
Tim, it would be fun to meet you. Are you coming to the End of Seasoning Party? [bring a nutmeg]
snow report
David Goldsmith, yes I'll be there.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, he'll get new people replying from time to time. Ignoring him has been tried in the past. Its far better to point out the glaring flaws in his arguments, it's just a shame he gets so condescending with people when they do just that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
richjp,
Quote:

If the club did shut it's board down it would really be all because of one member and that just does not seem right.

So why don't the rest of you ignore this one member's posts instead of rising to the bait every time?
If there were no responses the post withers and dies very quickly, as often can be seen here.

Much easier said than done I'm afraid. He is a cunning individual and knows that if his views are unchallenged then there is an implication that he might be correct. His next tactic is to always want the last word. So instead of simply accepting that someone has an alternative view, he will respond again and again. Of course there should be some form of interchange in a debate, but DG will never let it die and so it goes on. It's a deliberate tactic.

Needless to say if the thread is about to be dropped through inactivity, which is what happens on the ski club board after 30 days, you can bet it is about to be bumped.

DG recently said on Snowheads that the internet is a "powerful medium". Yes it is and he should use it as responsibly as most people do.

I hope that gives you some indication of why we sometimes get irritated.
ski holidays
richjp, but does it matter if DG goes on and on? If there are only between 4 and 10 of the membership of 30,000 discussing a point, no-one in any authority will take any notice of the outcome of the discussion even if you should all agree. If it is just one person making a point, there is even less chance of it being picked up.

It doesn't seem worth the bother to me. I'd just let it go unless it was all for a bit of fun and a wind-up.
latest report
Lighten up, chaps !

Tim, if condescension was really my game I'd be stuck at the top of the mountain while you'd be having all the fun. But seriously, is it remotely arguable that condescension is our Club's problem, not so much mine? Nick Zotov mentioned the price of our holidays as a deterrent (and this is not a man who penny pinches - he is a serious, committed skier), to the extent that it's a factor concerning his continued membership. Do we treat the 97% of non-member British skiers - especially those in the north of the British isles - as inclusively as we might?

richjp, I respect your analysis and accept that threads are not like conversations in terms of closure - I'm sorry if you feel that there is too much argument and will try to lighten things up a bit. We should all remain skiing friends, really.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

I'm sorry if you feel that there is too much argument and will try to lighten things up a bit. We should all remain skiing friends, really.

and keep SCGB in-house discussions to the in-house chat room and not bring them over here. Very Happy
latest report
David Goldsmith, how many skiers are there in Britain?
snow report
Tim Brown, less the 60+ in Val Thorens at the eosb snowHead
snow report
Don't both to answer my question David. It just goes to illustrate where we've reached with you.

You don't know how many boarders the ski club has. Therefore, you don't know how many skiers it has or how many members do both. I'd bet you don't know who many skiers there are in Britain or the UK. So where your figure of 97% comes from is anyone's guess!
latest report
boredsurfin, my congrats to ubrain. I'm sure everyone will have a great time. Things like the EoSB are what snowsports clubs are all about.
snow report
Tim Brown, will you ever go on one of the bashes? PSB this year, eosb next year?
snow report
Tim Brown @ 6.45pm wrote:
David Goldsmith, how many skiers are there in Britain?

Tim Brown @ 6.50pm wrote:
Don't both to answer my question David.

Sorry, Tim, I was having a cup of tea. What was the question, again?
Actually, I'm not certain - a figure of 1.2 million is generally bandied about.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, no, i won't.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, 1.2 million what? Skiers, boarders, both? Can you give me a published source?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy