Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains in April?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello there,

I'm off to Les Arcs, staying at 1950, in a couple of week's time and will be driving down for the first time. Have been umming and aahing about snow chains - are they worth getting hold, even this late in the season?

Any advice gratefully received!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
always possible that there will be a good dump in April; there were several last year. The snow doesn't last long, but if your journey happens to coincide with a fresh fall, you would probably need chains (especially if it was rather wet snow at road level). I almost needed chains at the end of last week, despite four new winter tyres, even though there was just a few inches of wet snow, which was gone a couple of hours later. I had to stop behind another driver who hadn't made it up the hill, and was in the middle of a narrow hill putting on his chains. But you could wait till you go and look at the forecasts, and buy them at a French supermarket en route if necessary. And if they ARE necessary, yippee! At the moment, at 1500m and 8 am, it's 6 degrees!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ralpho, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'm off skiing next week and am currently toying with the same question.....do I buy chains in advance, or take my chance when I get out there?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ralpho, Elizabeth B, You will need them (just in case) - but they are easy to find in most supermarkets (Moutiers, BSM). Don't wait to get up to Les Arcs tho' - you'll still have to get down the hill wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, I have a couple of pairs in my garage, was going to ebay them but didn't get rorund to it. If they're suitable for your car you'd be welcome to borrow (or buy) them.

ralpho, same applies to you, but not sure where you are, whereas EB is in Sheffiled just like me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
masmith, the size I need is 175/65 R14.

If you have any that fit, then let me know!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B, boredsurfin was selling some a while ago.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B, 175/65 R14 could be close to a set I have, will check when I get home and let you know.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In my opinion, NO if you have suitable tyres.

I would say newish all-season or all-terrain tyres, say within 12 months, with "M&S" or mud and snow block pattern should be OK in April. I would get a set of chains if I drive a low profile V-rated tyres with continuous ring treads, which are good for directional stability at high speed but hopeless for digging into snow.

The resort will clear the roads on a daily basis and the chains are only needed if you are caught in a dump before the clearing can be carried out.

Chains will be needed if you have to travel through the mountain passes.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee wrote:
In my opinion, NO if you have suitable tyres.

In which case you'd be wrong. The last time I used chains was April 17th 2005 on an Audi Quatro with winter tyres and a driver who's well used to driving in snow and ice.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise,

But would you need it for going up Les Arcs 2000? The car is coming from UK (first time to drive down).

I think you would agree on busy road and in April the traffic can keep the snow off the road and I bet that would be the case all the way to Bourg St Maurice. The only tricky bit is going up Arcs 2000 from Bourg.

Done 4 trips with my 4x4 but never had to put on the chains yet and I haven't got snow tyres (just all season tyres)either. I did use chains on other cars averaging once every 2-week trip at the time when I had to go to Chamonix via Col De Forclaz via Martigny.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 23-08-06 15:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B, sorry but the set I thought might fit will do 175/70/14 (and varios other sizes) but they don't say 175/65/14 on the box. But if you want to give them a try feel free, just PM me.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith, thanks for looking. I'm guessing that if they don't have the size listed then they won't fit. I have set (from a previous car) that are "nearly" right...but I'm guessing they won't fit either!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 23-08-06 15:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I got mine by mail order from Roofbox. Had 3 to 4 sets from them so far. Very comprehensive range, prompt service and good quality too.

Hoping to find a better deal I did investigate various hyperrmarkets , Services and Tyre shops in Europe and the stocks they carry are usually limited. Roofbox above got every size you need.
latest report
Cheers everyone for the thoughts and advice.

Thanks very much saikee for the recommendation about Roofbox. I reckon it's better safe than sorry, so have gone for some cheap snow chains from them!

Time to start crossing my fingers for a big dump of snow snowHead
snow report
ise,

Funny enough I also had a deep snow experience in Flaine too and had to put snow chains on a new RAV4.

I always carry mine even on a Shogun (badged as Pajero in Europe) but relying on 4x4 capacility of the vehicle, 265/70R16 all season tyres and a 225mm ground clearance.

For those using snow chains first time

(1) The safe driving speed with snow chains on is about 50 kph from memory. My point is you can't drive fast!

(2) Tyres with snow chains on can be irritatingly uncomfortable on roads without snow or inadequate snow.

(3) You need a safe and large parking place to put the chains on. The amount of road splash by travelling vehicles at a road side can make you seriously dirty.

(4) You must be in a cheerful mode when putting the chains on in order to fit them easily. Lack of patience can turn a bad situation into a nighmare. A torch, a pair of plastic gloves and a large plastic sheet (for kneeing down) are recommended items to go with the chains. Treat it as an adventure and be on top of it because you are well prepared.

(5) The power of the snow chains is in its digging power but if the snow is higher than the ground clearance of the vehicle then you car will "float" on it and no chain in the world can dig you out.

(6) Time to put chains on is when a significant number of the oncoming vehicles have them

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 29-03-06 14:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 23-08-06 15:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 brian
brian
The first time I hired a car from GVA we had a go at putting the chains on in the car park before we left. Turned out to be well worth it when it came to the real thing. Worth doing if you're not in a rush.
snow conditions
Was facing the same problem(going out on the 7th)In the end I decided I had little chance of finding my vehicle size(225/70-16)in France,so I bought some from www.toys4cars.co.uk at £70 delivered.They are Picoya 108 heavy duty for 4x4 and light commercials.Quick fit,rear hoop style and,at this price,seem well made.They were delivered in 3 days which is excellent service IMHO.
latest report
If using chains with your own car take a thick black sack (sometimes sold as a rubble sack) to put them in after taking them off. This saves time trying to get them back in their box and keeps the inside of your boot and luggage dry, If your testosterone allows a pair of rubber gloves also keeps hands clean and dry ! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Isn't it illegal to drive up some roads without carrying snow chains during winter season?
I thought it was, in which case I'd bet the road up to 1800 is one of them and if there is a big dump, you could well find the police doing a spot check on vehicles. I've seen them stop cars going up to the Prodains at Avoriaz without chains and I think that was in April.

Snowsocks look pretty good, I've seen a few cars using them this year, and much easier to use than chains.

Jo
ski holidays
oopalley, don't know about France, but in Switzerland definitely. I had one experience where the police were sending people back down the Julier pass into St.Moritz ( they were checking at the top Puzzled ) to go and get chains if they didn't have them, and were forcing people to put their chains on if they did have them!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy