Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Skiing on the old model B2S at the moment, but I've been thinking about changing them for a while now - not because they're a bad ski, but mainly because I bought them a little short (174) and I'm now starting to progress to more off-piste, and also because I think that I could do with something a little stiffer, that maybe gives a little more feedback.

I'm 5'11", 100kg, happy on all pistes, enjoy the moguls, and am starting to really get into the off-psite.

I've thought about Stockli Stormrider XLs, also K2 Public Enemy, could do with a couple more suggestions please, looking for a maximum shortlist of three or four pairs to try.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, how about Atomic Sweet Daddies (or am I just saying that because I have a pair of them sitting here in plastic?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, what length?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, how about the K2 apache recon or chief if you want a wider one
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, tried the apache recon when I bought my B2s, didn't really like it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, try keeping to a similar length, but with a bit more girth. Something around the 90mm mark perhaps.

Loads to look at, B4's, Chiefs, Mojo 90's, Karma's, Dynastar 8800, nearly every manufacturer has them. Demoing is, as usual, recommended but hard to do.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, I would prefer to go slightly longer and fatter, rather than a lot fatter and the same length if that makes any sense?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer, I had that thought too, but was advised that the underfoot float is the most important thing. Otherwise you sink deep into the snow during the turn anyway, even if your tips stay high.

I think that owners of very shaped skis, B5's etc., would be able to confirm this.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer, a shout from me in favour of a bit more length off piste. I just find a longer ski more stable when dealing with less than perfect snow conditions, particularly if you are making wider radius turns. It's worth experimenting with the same model in different lengths to see what you prefer. The downside of extra length is that it becomes much harder work in trees and tight spots
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, you've probably seen me post this before, but in a group of 6 last December, 3 were on B2s for the first half, but all changed to Dynastar Legend 8000s half way through, and every one of them thought it a major improvement. I'm about the same height as you but 5-10kg lighter, and found I needed them in 184cm otherwise I sank in powder. I absolutely love them, and haven't found anything they're not good at (although I understand the XLs are better on hardpack). I'll have them at the EoSB if you want to give them a try then (assuming there'll be any bases left on them at all by then - ta very much S&R servicing rolling eyes ). Maybe 8800s in 176ish would be good, although they're probably less good on piste and possibly in bumps. I'd also be keen on trying some XLs for myself too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
whatever you do only buy skis you have tested and don't rely on the manufactures blub or the ski shops advice.

I like the same sort of skiing and earlierthis year tested;

1080 foils- for me v versatile, hard/soft, fast/slow, on/off piste even in crust and crud- much stiffer than old 1080 with no flap on psite evn when skied fast- now going chear just about everywhere.
movement demon flames- for me great- but only if I skied fast on piste- really couldn't get them to do anything off psite or in bumps
dynastar 8000- for me v.v. smooth- and as a result fast- but not as fun as 1080 foils

K2 public enemy- hated them- no grip at all

K2 apache recon- for me nothing special but no problems either.

Test as many skis as you can and trust your own judgement rather than the magazine write ups- or dare I say it other snowheads as it will be you skiing them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, they are 181 (from memory they are 119-80-110)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To test alongside the Public Enemies and XL's, I would suggest Dynastar 8000, Volkl AC4 and definately something from the Nordica Hot Rod range ie. Nitrous or Top Fuel (both 78mm, Top Fuel has layers of metal) or the new Afterburner or Jet Fuel (both 84mm, Jet Fuel has the metal here). I have the Nitrous in 170 and love it - I think it would be even better in deep snow in a slightly longer length.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, are you looking for a 'one ski quiver' or if you go fat will you get a piste ski as well?

If you like a tight radius ski then the b5 is a blast & at 76mm underfoot is good up to boot depth off-piste making it a great 'one ski quiver' with a bias to on-piste use.

Atomic's new 06/07 M11-b5 is now available to demo. You ski it longer than the b5 but it gives the b5 width underfoot but the tip/tail are a bit narrower to give a 15mm radius - I reckon that this is to compete with the Top Fuel so it's worth a test.

My new M:EX's were superb in powder last week in Val Cenis but also carve mean tracks & are pretty nifty edge to edge on-piste for a 84mm ski (ask srobbo). This is certainly a superb European 'one ski quiver' with a bias to off-piste use. The 175cm (124-84-111, 19m) matches your build & stated criteria exactly in that it's stiffer than your B2's but softer than my b5's - Steve & I reckoned the flex was just a bit stiffer than his 5*'s. As it's being revamped the old model is available from http://www.sport-conrad.com for £230 including bindings, delivered to ya door which is an absolute steal. The rail mounted Neox bindings are also infinately adjustable so you can play around with the balance etc.

I skied the 8800's & the B4's in Utah & they were great but anything that straight & wide ain't much fun on-piste (usually also giving poor edge hold etc) so really needs to be complimented with a piste ski as Foxy & marc have done.

You're very welcome to take my b5's &/or M:EX's up to Castleford for a spin if you want.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 27-03-06 18:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, If you want progress to off piste you will to need to increase the surface area to get more lift in deep snow and make the experience fun rather then painful. To achieve this you can go either wider, longer or both. I am in favour of the last option, for resasons mentioned by Arno. This way you will maximise the surface and be able to keep underfoot around 90mm which is not too bad for on piste
skiing. Also buying a stiffer ski whilst getting to grips with off piste conditions may not be a good idea. Have a look the new B3 in a longer length, or the Legend 8800 ? 178.
latest report
SKramer, sorry, just spotted your last post.
snow conditions
just to be slightly different, why change?? not so long ago peope were skiing off piste fine on skinny skis. the b2s got great reviews as a good all round ski.

put the cost of a new pair towards some off piste instruction/guiding or another holiday!!

or flog them on ebay sharpish before the season ends Wink

remember he who dies with the most toys..................................still dies!!

regards,

greg
latest report
gregh, point taken about the B2s. Another aspect was that when I had a lesson with Easiski she suggested that I may benefit from a less forgiving ski with more feedback.
snow conditions
aha! permission to spend from a ski instructior, superb! Wink
snow report
Kramer, this season I skied offpiste on Kneissl Tankers. I'm 5'11, about 88 kgs. I found the ski reasonably stiff, very responsive - generally I love'em! Very solid build, too (as a 'land to rock' moment a few days ago proved - all I lost was Ptex).

Dimensions 125-93-116, length 180.

I haven't skied B"s but I skied the previous-generation B3s and I felt that, while they did what I told them to do, they never 'talked' to me about it.
latest report
just tried out some b5s in variablee snow, heavy choped up fresh snow, refrozen slush & some nice fresh (but only a few inches deep) . whilst they are a nice ski I didn't feel they did anything that my 1080 can't and boy are they heavy! their weight would put me off especially as often shoulder skis and walk in/out of off piste areas

last run down and I could feel their weight!
ski holidays
Head Monster iM82
latest report
gregh wrote:
just tried out some b5s in variablee snow, heavy choped up fresh snow, refrozen slush & some nice fresh (but only a few inches deep) . whilst they are a nice ski I didn't feel they did anything that my 1080 can't

The B5s can carve a much tighter radius turn than the 1080s.
snow conditions
they may well do Rob, but I personally didn't feel much difference between them, and I certainly ain't going out measuring the radius of my turns Wink
snow conditions
my son and I demo'd metron b5s in Austria and thought their weight contributed to their performance. On returning home we (I !!) bought a pair each and we were surprised to find the bought skis were lighter probably cos they had titanium bindings. I'm looking forward to using them next week. B5s are "different" skis and I'd recommend trying them to anyone thinking about all mountain skis
snow conditions
gregh wrote:
they may well do Rob, but I personally didn't feel much difference between them, and I certainly ain't going out measuring the radius of my turns Wink

You mean you don't get the tape measure out after every few turns to measure how tight you can go? Tsk, Tsk!

Wink
snow report
can you work it out from this? taken thru my goggles with a camera phone...

snow report
gregh, you keep your phone in your goggles? Don't they get in the way of your eyes?

14.38m Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gregh wrote:
just tried out some b5s in variablee snow, heavy choped up fresh snow, refrozen slush & some nice fresh (but only a few inches deep) . whilst they are a nice ski I didn't feel they did anything that my 1080 can't and boy are they heavy! their weight would put me off especially as often shoulder skis and walk in/out of off piste areas

last run down and I could feel their weight!

gregh, the b5's will out perform the 1080's by far on piste, giving a ride not far short of a true slalom ski & at about the same weight of a quality slalom ski. Your right though, they ain't made for carryin'.

Try demo'ing the M:EX's.
snow report
Quote:

Try demo'ing the M:EX's

Certainly worth a try.

Worked very well in knee deep powder last Fri, whilst spyderjon, ate his pizza.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
... at about the same weight of a quality slalom ski.

I wish Wink I've got a pair of B5s and a pair of Rossignol 9S, and the 9S are noticeably lighter then the Metrons. But I agree that they can carve equally tight turns on-piste, certainly much tighter than my 1080s.
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

This is actually a minus point for soft snow IMO
snow conditions
guys,

I really don't want another pair of skis, just happened to have a sneaky day's skiing, so hired rather than bringing my own!

So you don't have the new oikliy camera goggle yet then Rob?

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
mij wrote:
my son and I demo'd metron b5s in Austria and thought their weight contributed to their performance. On returning home we (I !!) bought a pair each and we were surprised to find the bought skis were lighter probably cos they had titanium bindings. I'm looking forward to using them next week. B5s are "different" skis and I'd recommend trying them to anyone thinking about all mountain skis

Last season's model was 1.1lb per ski heavier than this year's b5 (which remains unchanged for 06/07) which you rightly say is due to the titanium in the latest Neox 412 bindings. Atomic's demo bindings are even heavier than the old 412's Shocked.

Your right, the b5's weight does contribute to their stability but theur swing weight is low so they certainly don't ski 'heavy'. And they are different, requiring modern technique to get the best from them.

Are your bindings set to the forward position? If not, then I'd certainly recommend that position. If you want instructions & pics on how to change the binding position then PM me your email address.
latest report
Arno wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

This is actually a minus point for soft snow IMO

Why's that?
latest report
gregh wrote:
So you don't have the new oikliy camera goggle yet then Rob?

Alas, no. It's best that there's as little photographic evidence of my skiing abilities as possble Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
....I've got a pair of B5s and a pair of Rossignol 9S, and the 9S are noticeably lighter then the Metrons.
Really. I've compared my b5's to both the Fischer & Nordica Dobi's & they were about the same weight, as were Foxy's Head's.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
....I've got a pair of B5s and a pair of Rossignol 9S, and the 9S are noticeably lighter then the Metrons.
Really.

Definitely noticeable. I'd weigh them so see what the difference is, but sadly I'm not with my skis Sad
latest report
spyderjon,
I've pm'd with my email address.
How does the decreased weight affect the b5's performance?
With the heavier models we just pointed and went- the skis did the rest They were great on every surface we skied.
snow report
mij, I've skied the lighter Neox version. You won't notice the difference accept for the new 'uns being lighter to carry Cool.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy