Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many km do you need?

Poster: A snowHead
The last two seasons I have been obliged to go somewhere high because I have only been able to go late-season (Tignes) - and have enjoyed touring round the various pistes easy enough for me to ski - it is a pleasure to see new sites.
The two seasons before I was in Soldeu - less km but still plenty to try out.
The season before that Gressoney but only a couple of lifts and runs working - so skied one of the runs probably 15-20 times per day - and had a lot of fun doing the run different ways.

Of the three, which one am I hankering for next year: Gressoney.

I do however feel that in some ways I miss out if it is not a new resort every season - but then why have I been to Flaine three times too? Puzzled

So I can definitely say that I have a foot in both camps on this one rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If I am free-skiing, I particularly enjoy setting a destination some way off, working out the route and skiing to it. I enjoy the journey and the various sights that you pass on the way. I may well make detours if it looks interesting. I therefore prefer the larger resorts, particularly those with several interlinked ridges/valleys. Personally I can imagine that I would get quite bored skiing the same slope many times in the same day, but then we're all different.

If I'm having lessons for part or all of the day it really doesn't matter on the size of the resort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't worry about the numbers of km. I just aim to have a smile at the end of each run.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know people have an interest to defend some resorts but a broard brush statement of
Quote:
experienced skiers happy with smaller resorts, fewer lifts and Kms of runs

implies the small is beautiful.

Thus the more I ski, hopefully becoming more experienced, the more attractive rolling eyes I should find Geilo (in Norway), which the smallest resort I have been as it only got 28km piste. At the same time I should start to dislike Puzzled 140km piste La Rosiere/La Thuille's and 200km piste of Deux Alpes. The 600 km piste of 3 Vallees should make me sick Embarassed .

The thing I want to know is if nobody tells me the size of a resort in term of the skiiable piste length then I would be always happy, would I not? or must I find happiness in skiing with a place like La Planard in Chamonix that has only one button lift, one chairlift and 3 runs?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee, it's not that you need to dislike the larger resorts, it's that you get to make more of the smaller ones (i.e. you're less restricted to the pisted areas etc). Serre Che's 250km of pistes looked fine enough to me, it's just we found far more interesting stuff to ski away from them - and damned fine that was too (very much did not want to leave there). The main downside of large resorts is that there are loads of people there and so you end up queueing more for the lifts (the recent day we had at AdH reminded me of what I've been missing for the last 5 years or so on that score rolling eyes ).

Kramer wrote:
Funnily enough, off piste I...only start to enjoy a route when I've done it a few times and know where it goes.

While I would like to agree with you there, sometimes you don't get that luxury - i.e. if you've just climbed 4 hours to get to it, or if the descent itself takes several hours for just the one run. In some cases you just have to hold the thought for the next 12 months (or 24...or 36....) Wink .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
just to chip in. Not that I think it's easy to get bored skiing but I know I find that I like to have a bit of variety. That way on any given day's set of conditions I can choose what sort of terrain I'm going to get. Small stations often lack that variety, IMHO.

I've spent a lot of time in the PDS and I like the scale. I also have mates there which helps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN,

So it is really down to the less people competing for the facilities and piste area that make the skiing enjoyable.

Why we single out the large resorts and only go there in peak season as though someone is pointing a gun at our heads? Can we go at off peak periods and enjoy the big facilities just like the quiet smaller resorts?

Big resorts outside France are not always crowdy and if they are the number of skiers can be smaller than the French at off peak times.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch wrote:
I find that I like to have a bit of variety. That way on any given day's set of conditions I can choose what sort of terrain I'm going to get. Small stations often lack that variety, IMHO.

That's my opinion also. I like to have a range of stuff available: steep/bumpy pistes, fast/open pistes, high altitude open bowls, tree-lined runs, gentle off-piste through the trees, a range of aspects so that I can follow/avoid the sun, sheltered skiing when the weather/visibility is bad, long runs, a race piste with GS gates, etc, etc. The actual amount of piste mileage is a secondary concern, although if all my primary criteria are met then I'd probably go with a resort that offers more rather than less skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee, I'm only advocating not dismissing the smaller resorts as having little or no value because they're small or have limited piste length. I've never said that the big resorts are bad because they're big. Just that length or size should not be the definition of quality.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee, I think you were quoting me, and the comment was about the response to this thread. It ddid and does appear that those (apart from DM) who were happier with smaller Kms were the more experienced skiers. Please don't quote me out of context.

BTW it's now nearly 250Kms (+ the second bigest off piste domain in France after Chamonix)..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:

It's a question I'll keep asking, are we sheep or are we snowheads? snowHead

BAA BAAA BAAAA
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk, David Murdoch,

That's it exactly.
Earlier in the year at Les Arcs, quite frankly, I was bored doing piste crusing. Actually it was quite a worrying thought, that I was getting bored of skiing. ohmigod - potential disaster.
I wanted something different. Fortunately I found the Apocalypse Park, and spent a couple of happy days trying something else.

6 weeks later, we returned, and piste cruising was good for a few days. But then I wanted moguls, then trees, then steeps, (then lessons...) then hot choc., and managed to get the all within the confines of the resort.

I only 'need' 50km of pisted blues & reds. I only 'want' 2 or 3 mogul fields. I only 'have to have' a few tree lined runs, and a 'few' runs down in the trees. And I could probably be satisfied with just having one real bu%%er of a steep, that I could learn to ski 'properly'. But only a bigger resort is going to give me that opportunity, and, if the conditions are poor on North facing slopes, the option to revert to the south facers.

So I guess its not the kms per se that I crave, just the opportunity to have a range of experiences without multiple holidays.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As I get more experienced I tend to prefer larger places.

My first trip was to a little resort called Crest Voland which only has 45km and I went back for my fourth trip. It is doubtful if I would consider such a small resort again, unless I got a bargain.

I seem to be at an exploring stage and want to try many different resorts.

This year although I only managed 2 trips I skied the following places

Passo Tonale
Ponte di Legno
Madonna di Campiglio
Zell am See
Saalbach/ Hinterglemm
Kaprun

Probably a total of over 600km possible in that lot
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To expand slightly on my first reply. I don't dislike large areas Serre Che is after all my favourite resort, but I do think the quality of the snow and runs on or off piste is far more important for me. The bigger areas do tend to give a greater variety of run but very often snow quality is worse because they are much busier and therefore more heavily skied which packs the piste quicker and leaves less untouched off piste. Bigger areas are often a lot pricier as well. I guess a good compromise is to visit an area with a few smaller areas so you get the benefits of variety by visiting different areas but the lower prices and quieter slopes of the smaller resorts.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In good snow it doesn't matter

More important is how many beds and how many lifts
ski holidays
Masque, absolutely a fair point. I know of a few "little" gems, some not so tiny. Size <> Good. Actually, High <> (necessarily) Good either if it comes to it.

easiski, a couple of other things occur to me.

One, I typically ski with parties of widely differing capabilities, ambitions and objectives. We find larger areas make it easier to keep most people happy most of the time. On any given day the "group" will want to ski "off-piste varied", bumps, cruisy blues, trees, slightly tougher reds plus the "tour de duvet" all at once and and all meet for lunch.

Also, even within large areas I'm often happy yoyoing a given lift if whatever it's serving is in particularly choice nick.

Also, also, smaller resorts are great to go and explore but I think their allure fades once you've spent a few weeks there. It's all very well is you have the advantage of getting up at home of a Saturday and driving 45 mins to whatever local hill takes your fancy, but when you want one size at least tries to fit all then I can see the appeal of the bigger areas.
ski holidays
Wouldn't vertical drop be a better measure of a resort for an experienced skier?
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
I'm often happy yoyoing a given lift if whatever it's serving is in particularly choice nick.

Me too, especially if it's chucking it down with snow.
snow report
Kramer,

Why? Endurance?

A good 1000m is enough to keep me happy.

In Passo Tonale it is possible to do a continuious drop of 1800m from the top of the glacier to Pontedilegno, but it's pretty crap
snow conditions
johnboy wrote:
Why?

Lots of choice above and below the tree-line?
ski holidays
Kramer,

Not unless you can do it in one hit.. eg, GM has 2000m plus but it would mean using the 4 oclock run and thats a bit of a chore.
But if you did the run from the Col du Lyksamm down to Stafal, around 2500m you might not need too much else.
Thats why you aim for 1 run per day.
ski holidays
johnboy, because I would say that generally the larger the drop the more choice of routes.
snow report
Where is GM?
snow conditions
johnboy, Crest Voland only has 35km. I have skied here for five weeks this season and I'm not a beginner.

When I was here in January, I drove to Val Thorens for a day to meet some friends. I spent all day trying to avoid rocks and was glad to get back to perfect snow the following day.

I came back this month as I wanted somewhere quieter to warm up than Meribel.

rob@rar.org.uk, Do you get access to a race piste with GS gates in Les Arcs ? Smaller places can be easier to get permission to set courses.
snow report
rjs,

How did you manage to spend 5 weeks there? On holiday?

But the Link to Les Saisis will add a good few km. I heard it is linked to another village as well ??

I must say it is a lovely wee resort and was where I learned to ski in 1992 and i took my wife there to learn in 2001
snow conditions
johnboy, I think JT means the Grands Montets (Argentiere). It is possible there to avoid the 4 o'clock run by going down through the trees, but that's getting a bit extreme for me - although I do eye up those runs each time I go up the chairlift, so maybe next year ... or the next Wink . JT, surely Lyskamm to Stafal is just a quick half-day for a man of your kaliyber!
snow report
rjs wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, Do you get access to a race piste with GS gates in Les Arcs ? Smaller places can be easier to get permission to set courses.

No, I wish... Once a week the Fleche is run, so you can pay a few Euros to enter that, and the gates are occasionally left up for a few hours after the timed runs are finished so you can have a bit of a play. But there isn't a permanent race piste available to the public.
snow conditions
JT,

Holly macherel!

Quote:
Thats why you aim for 1 run per day.

The piste run you guys are talking refers to off-piste run. No wonder all the confusion on less is better!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Wouldn't vertical drop be a better measure of a resort for an experienced skier?

Couple of things I would like to see listed but never seem to be are: Directions the slopes face, bit difficult to be precise about it but most ski guide books seem vague about it.

Average annual snowfall, never to be found in Europe or at least I can't find it.
latest report
T Bar wrote:
Average annual snowfall, never to be found in Europe or at least I can't find it.

Isn't that on the Ski Club GB website?
snow report
Kramer wrote:

Not really, how far it is from where you are and if it's got any sort snow is really all that matters Very Happy
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

Isn't that on the Ski Club GB website?

Dont think so, they are depths and subject to fiddling.
snow conditions
ise wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Not really, how far it is from where you are and if it's got any sort of snow is really all that matters Very Happy
snow conditions
ise, quoting yourself?

They're all pretty far from me, and thus I have to accept the snow as it is when I get there. rolling eyes
snow report
T Bar wrote:

Couple of things I would like to see listed but never seem to be are: Directions the slopes face, bit difficult to be precise about it but most ski guide books seem vague about it.

My Where to Ski and Snowboard usually seems to be fairly precise about it - in the section under snow reliability? aj xx
snow report
GrahamN,

I wish.... the route itself was ok on the map...but the conditions we got...from ice blown up top to knee high cement at the bottom, pretty well wiped me out...!!! It was only fun for the experience....even the bridges were hollow...!!!
snow conditions
ajhainey,

Don't tell everyone
ski holidays
I am generally a bit fan of huge vertical, but as JT's post suggests, it's very rare that you find a run of 2000m+ vertical all in good condition. OTOH, this is the realm of what I call mountain skiing - the pleasure isn't all (or at all!) down to the sensation of floating through fresh powder. It's also down to the aesthetic of the line, the feeling of travelling through a wild environment and the sense of achievement after fighting through tight trees, rocks, footpaths and nasty snow for the last few hundred vertical metres!
ski holidays
Arno,

Try this - Everest and a half in day.... 30 lifts, 42250ft of vertical

http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2006/Escapade/Escapade.htm

ski holidays
I'd love to do something like thatkkev,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy