Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many km do you need?

Poster: A snowHead
kkev, that would involve going to the 3 Vallees, which is something I generally try to avoid Razz

Think I racked up more than 8000m of vertical almost all off piste at Engelberg on Saturday though. And I had time for a decidedly wierd traditional Swiss lunch which consisted of macharoni cheese with potatoes and apple puree
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno,

Do anything out of the ordinary..? I've never ever made it down the Titlis glacier into the secret valley as the walk out is discouraging...so I'm told...!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, I didn't knowingly go into a secret valley! We did several laps of the Jochstock - mostly on the left as you go up the lift, but one off to the right.

The top was shrouded in cloud so we only did one descent of the glacier that day - hugging the rock wall skiers right. We finished with the big run from the very top back down to the valley floor (forget the proper name for it). We didn't go into the couloir because it was very warm and it would have been asking to get buried by a wet snow slide. We took the route down the open slopes skier's right of the couloir, bashed through trees and nasty slushy snow and ended up by the lift right at the top of the valley.

All in all a very good day even if snow conditions weren't ideal
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy wrote:
rjs,

How did you manage to spend 5 weeks there? On holiday?

I'm not really on holiday, I'm just "resting" for the winter.

johnboy wrote:
But the Link to Les Saisis will add a good few km. I heard it is linked to another village as well ??

The lift pass is valid in Flumet and Notre dame de Bellecombe as well, but you need to get a (free) bus to get there, I haven't bothered. I have not been to Les Saisies either.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno,

From Jochstock that sounds lile klien Sulz which leads out onto the lake - presume you cut left and did the two lifts to get back up again. The one on the right must have been a hike round the back or to a little ridge.

Sounds like you did a version of the Laub to get down the bottom but then again the more you explore.......

Next year....!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno,

Never like the cut by the rocks, I've seen too much snow fall off the top, but I guess the snow was scraped off the ice band so the way through is limited.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT wrote:
Sounds like you did a version of the Laub to get down the bottom but then again the more you explore.......

Thinking a bit more about it, I think it was the Galtiberg but I'd need a proper topo map to confirm

We did a number of variations off the Jochstock. Off to the right was a short hike. Looked like there was a huge amount of additional stuff you could get to if you hiked a bit further than we did. On the left we did one where we ended up on the Jockstock side of the Trubsee. We also did a few where you ended up on the cross-country track and had to pole back to the lift across the Trubsee. Seemed worth accepting a bit of poling rather than doing a lot of traversing and not as much descending

The one down the glacier by the rocks was recommended by a local as a good way down when visibility is bad (which it was). Didn't see any evidence of objective hazards as we went down
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno,

All sounds good to me and I'll get back there next year. The secret valley...my name, all the locals know about it...is entranced via the Titlis glacier and I only got to see it via a cut though rocks on the way to the Laub. I was kind of looking for something that way when I saw a map in our hotel. The top half looks very crevasse-ridden and more of a commitment than the Steinberg for a few hunded mtrs.

Dare say I'll see you there next year.. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There can be many definitions of experienced skiers but

Quote:
Try this - Everest and a half in day.... 30 lifts, 42250ft of vertical

by going through the full extent of the 3 Vallees fits my imagination of an "able" skier, even if he/she is not a "happy" one in some people's definition.

The way I look at it is say skiing from 9am to 5pm with one hour lunch break the 30 lifts take 7 hours to get therough and so the average time to spend on a lift+run is 14 minutes. Therefore the skier has to be able to ski fast because many lifts in 3 Vallees take longer than 14 minutes to ride in the absence of any queue.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ajhainey,
Quote:

My Where to Ski and Snowboard usually seems to be fairly precise about it - in the section under snow reliability? aj xx

I think it is the best guide but in my (admittedly old edition) the information is missing for some resorts and incomplete for many.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hmm, guess who is in La Tania in 3 weeks time..............
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
acres work better for me than km.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
God - you guys are greedy! I only ever need about 2meters at any one time to keep me happy snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stuarth, i really didn't get the acres.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stuarth, why?
latest report
David Murdoch, I think he spends a lot of time in Whistler wink
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, O
latest report
Dont need KM.s.

Just need it Steep & Deep Very Happy

Stop the Brutal Grooming Skullie
ski holidays
stanton, so we're back from kms to feet? Need lots of feet of S & D, IMHO. Probably a helicopter too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy