Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Green, blue, red, black & AN Other?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Most steep slopes are not as steep in degrees as many people think they are. In Europe, and yes I know there is no standard grading, red runs are usually between 25 and 32 degrees and black runs up to 40 degrees absolute maximum and often less than that.

This is the sort of statement that has seasoned skiers in equal measures pity and laughter when listening to the next table bragging about what number of blacks and what degrees the blacks are in the restaurant in the evening Very Happy Very Happy

In Mayrhofen, they make a big deal about the Hari-Kari run being the steepest piste in Austria (perhaps Europe). It's something round about 78%. A 45 degree slope would be 100% therefore the steepest black in Austria is (at a rough guess) about 36 degrees. A reasonably difficult black run (without wanting to get into a discussion on a French Black or an Italian Black) is not much more than 30 degrees.

I saw it written someplace that if you are on a 45 degree slope, you can put your arm straight out and touch the snow. If you are on a 60 degree slope, you can do the same with your elbow. I have never done that on a pisted run.

If you hear someone talking about skiing a 45 degree or 50 degree slope, chances are that they are talking out of an orrifice that is not their mouth. And they probably still have their transciever on in the restaurant Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
smolo wrote:
I saw it written someplace that if you are on a 45 degree slope, you can put your arm straight out and touch the snow.

Puzzled Only if you can touch your toes without bending at the waist.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Only if you can touch your toes without bending at the waist.

I'm a chimp Toofy Grin

The problem is getting my waist straight Toofy Grin

Count in the fact that you will have your legs bent and that your upper body will be closer to the hill Twisted Evil NehNeh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
smolo - the pole to pole one works better - unless you ski with 2 diff length poles....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

unless you ski with 2 diff length poles

Funny you should say that Toofy Grin I have 1 carbon and 1 pre-loved aluminimum one. They both started off at the same length but my aluminimum one has become a "race" pole after a few crashes, a few straightening sessions and a few more crashes Toofy Grin

I get a lot of funny looks in the gondolas and chair lifts, but there is no danger of anyone ever stealing my poles Toofy Grin

It was just a rough guide that was on some ski technique website. If you are on a 45 plus degree slope, you don't really want to be flaffing around with your poles. It's not an exact science ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
smolo wrote:
I saw it written someplace that if you are on a 45 degree slope, you can put your arm straight out and touch the snow.

Mathematically that would work if your arm was the same length as your leg + torso.

Just doing a quick bit of measuring, my arm is roughly 75cm long, and my leg + torso up to my arm is roughly 150cm, that means for me to reach out and touch the slope while standing vertically, the slope would need to be 60 degrees.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't shoot the messenger ... but I did find my source ... our very own Martin Bell.

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/activities/wintersports/story/0,,457939,00.html

Luckily I have a good memory Toofy Grin

Please direct all matematical solutions to Mr Bell ... I don't know his address, but I'm sure he's on a mountain someplace unlike me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smolo, it's ok, I've got his address...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, sweet ... you can ask him if the straight arm method is better than the bendy pole method for measuring slope steepness Madeye-Smiley

My main point was that 45 degrees is well steep. Martin Bell is talking about doing jump-turns on this stuff, which in fairness is not necessary on a wide face, but to hear people talking about skiing 40-45 degree pisted black slopes is either embarrassing or funny or time to go home.

I have never skied a constant 40 degree pitch on a marked slope ... I doubt if one exists. Do they ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar wrote:
Winterhighland,
Quote:

according to a table of gully and piste gradients posted yonks ago on Winterhighland the Fly Paper at Glencoe gets up to 45degrees!

Unless someone has measured such a short section that it is the front face of a mogul I do not believe this. Puzzled
I think this figure may be true, but the run is, as far as I remember, only about 60yds long. Since the whole thing is at least 40º and they are probably talking about the bottom third...
I showed it to someone years ago and he said anyone who skied down it must be suicidal.
As to the general grading question: there are so many things which contribute to the subjective experience of a run, ignoring differences in conditions. Some runs do habitually ice-up while others seldom do, and some are regularly pisted while others are allowed to form moguls. Some go down in short terraces and others a regular gradient.
Average gradient by itself tells you very little about difficulty
Presumably the steepest section would be an average over perhaps 30 metres? But would a 15 metre section at 45 degrees count as the steepest section? Or would it have to last 50 metres? Usually gradient is constantly changing.
Certainly, as several people have said, most people overestimate steepness. The Good Ski Guide years ago, when they gave much more information about individual runs, usually said if a run was over 30º - and this was quite rare. Few resorts had anything as steep as that.
If you have to use % or º then % (vertical distance devided by horizontal distance x 100) has the advantage of sounding steeper (45º = 100%) but since few people actually know what it means it is fairly useless to convey anything precise.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 26-03-06 19:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Just doing a quick bit of measuring, my arm is roughly 75cm long, and my leg + torso up to my arm is roughly 150cm, that means for me to reach out and touch the slope while standing vertically, the slope would need to be 60 degrees.

If you are standing sideways you should measure your arm from your mid-line, so it should be about 90cm (92 for me). However your main weight may be on your outside foot and I'm not sure how that would change things.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here's a bit of the Flypaper:

40 sounds about right.

I did, out of interest, ski the Blowhole in Whistler earlier this season to see how steep it was. It's not too steep down the left, but traversing to the righthand-side I could quite easily touch the slope with an outstretched hand - I turned once, which convinced me I couldn't turn on it snowHead before retreating

With regards to slope grading, I would go for the normal colour i.e blue, black etc, followed by the steepness, then by a picture describing the best bits of the run. For Blowhole I would grade it: black, 40 degrees(lefthand bit?) with a smiley face, as a fall is not likely to cause a serious injury.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="smolo"]
Quote:
the steepest black in Austria is (at a rough guess) about 36 degrees.

All that you say is/may be true. I merely point out that the Diretissima in Kitzbuhel is billed as 35 degrees (actually as 70%). It seems unlikely to me that Kitzbuhel has a run which is near as damn it the steepest in Austria; St Anton must be furious. The Diretissima is steep, but it's wide and a piece of cake in half decent conditions. Very icy and it's a bit of a bug, but there's usually a bit of snow to found on it somewhere.

All this goes to show that there's a great deal more to grading than pitch, and that ski resorts tell huge porkies.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 26-03-06 20:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond, from memory, there's no pisted runs that are insanely steep in St Anton.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, glad to hear it since we're going there next year, but 35 degs isn't insanely steep, it's just steep (in decent snow etc etc).
snow conditions
If I look at a run before I start and my a**e starts twitching then I know it's steep and probably too difficult for me. Forget the grading the only colour that matters is brown!
ski holidays
Kit Wong,
When I have skied the flypaper it has had a lot more snow than in your photo I dont know if tha t has lessened the angle but it certainly didnt feel anything like 40 degs.

From personal experience you can fall down Blowhole without injury Embarassed
snow conditions
So without being as extreme as PG's neo-Draconian ski dystopia, why not grade runs based on the average number of weeks you'd want to have skied before you're likely to find a run pleasurable (and maybe with a range to account for likely iciness, busy-ness, etc?)

I realise you run immediately into subjectivity of grading issues and the hoary old issue of self-grading but maybe it would work:

Green = 1-2 weeks
Blue = 3-6 weeks
Red = 6-14 weeks
Black = 10 - 20 weeks

Or something...
snow report
Surely that is going to lead to even more problems - with folks feeling bacd because they 'should' be on 10 week runs (black) but aren't yet! WHy would weeks be better than colours? WOuldn't you end up colour coding anyway (unless you want to write the numbers ont he poles Very Happy )

Personally I think they are just missing a colour between green and blue to show true beginner progression runs from those blues that reall are a little demanding or just note nursery slopes differently. To my mind beginners are the ones that need the help so I would back something like

'green and white' (nursery slopes, like those at the bottom of LDA say).
Green - suitable for snowplough skiers even if you are not too confident - no 'suprises' or 'nasty moments'
Blue - confident snowplough and early parallel - mostly pretty easy but with some tougher sections
Purple - what are currently 'tough blues and easy reds' - narrow or steep in places
Red - demanding runs that need either a lot of nerve or some measure of technical skill
Black - expert runs

If you start trying to divide up the blacks you could keep going forever! aj xx
snow report
ajhainey wrote:

Personally I think they are just missing a colour between green and blue to show true beginner progression runs from those blues that reall are a little demanding or just note nursery slopes differently. To my mind beginners are the ones that need the help so I would back something like

We manage perfectly well here without greens at all, we only have blue, red and black. Blues are for beginners, anyone that needs some precisely nuanced sub-grading on blue runs actually can't ski and ought to be in a lesson where their instructor can help them find more suitable slopes until they can progress to this easiest of all levels.

It's really perfectly simple, if the skier's not up to this most basic standard then they have to be in lessons, this is the basic competence level for getting around the mountain.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 28-03-06 7:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ise wrote:
We manage perfectly well here without greens at all, we only have blue, red and black.

It is the same in Les Arcs, which I've always found odd from a marketing point of view as other French resorts nearby all seem to use green to denominate their easiest pistes.
snow report
ise, Isn't that a bit harsh? My albeit limited experience of Swiss Blues seems to range from 'Magic Carpet' type beginner areas to heavily moguled steep bits which would be Red in some resorts - I know we have seen folks here write recently that they have done the Mont Fort Black after 1 week ( cowdoo or stupid) BUT surely that is a little wide. After all it is only skiing dummies (like me and most ski tourists) who need any indication of difficulty surely?
ski holidays
eEvans, I don't think so. The standard of blues is pretty consistent, it is the entry level to be able to get around the mountain. If someone won't take lessons to hit that standard, or can't or won't make the effort required to hit that standard then they ought to accept that skiing's not for them instead of looking for 10 grades of green run or buying blades.

Who says skiing's supposed to be "inclusive"? It's pretty obvious skiing's not improved in any way at all by being "inclusive". The barrier is, as it always has been, the cost of getting to the slopes and staying there, those lucky enough to get there ought to put some little effort in. We could do with rather less people who either fall into the "I do blacks after a weeks skiing" or 3 or 4 week skiers who can't tackle a blue run with any confidence.
snow report
ise, Well I only have done the 4 vallees. You have to confess that all beginner areas 5including magic carpet areas for debutants) are marked blue. I would draw the contrast with the 'Blue' Prarion ( the Siviez link from Tracouet in Nendaz) which you must have done? Heavily moguled , I don't think it can be pisted (????), icy because its South- Westerly facing. I refer to the top sections not the last 1km of track.

No argument about effort etc. - although I suspect that 'incusivity' would make an excellent be subject for another thread wink
snow report
ise, maybe you don't have greens cos there aren't any (although IRC, there aren't any on the swiss side of the PDS...). The ones in Morzine are mountain roads and need actiuve input to descend in slow snow (pushing, skating, small turbofans just behind the rear binding, etc.) it's a useful indicator of runs to avoid...
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
ise, maybe you don't have greens cos there aren't any (although IRC, there aren't any on the swiss side of the PDS...). The ones in Morzine are mountain roads and need actiuve input to descend in slow snow (pushing, skating, small turbofans just behind the rear binding, etc.) it's a useful indicator of runs to avoid...

The grades are not used, there are runs that would be green in France.

The description of greens as needing "actiuve input to descend in slow snow (pushing, skating, small turbofans just behind the rear binding, etc.) it's a useful indicator of runs to avoid" might be true in the the PdS but it's not elsewhere.

The Marvel green in Morillon is a good example, it's one of four ways down, the others being red, blue ( I think) and a direct line off-piste down the lift line. The best two descents are the direct and the green. Anyone that thought they were a bit above doing greens will have missed one of the areas best runs. But, it would be a blue here Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 28-03-06 10:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The green run on the glacier in L2A is a fantastic run, as is the Verte in VDI.
snow report
The "Piste Verte" in Les Houches is a touch challenging too Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise, Mean to say that maybe you didn't need them (rather than just they weren't there...). Not a topic I think about very often! Anyway as far as I can see from the map, all the "greens" in Morzine, Les Gets, Avoriaz and Linga (don't know S-Chatel or Chap d'abond well enough) are mountain roads with the exception of the Avoriaz plateau (beginners).

Not quite sure what this means, but around that neck of the woods certainly they are pleasant for a wintery ballade but somewhat lacking in gradient. That said, I know folks that actively like them.

Why is "Marvel" so good? I'm intrigued...
snow report
Back to original question; on our little forays, I'm often asked by so and so if I think they can ski wherever we are going...!!
Ski what..? The thing is to try and get enough experience to be able to cope with ice and crappy snow. If you aren't confidence in those situations you have a choice, avoid them and lean on the side of caution, or say f*** it, how hard can it be? Personally the last option isn't always the worst IMV. It depends what YOU want out of the whole thing.
snow report
ise wrote:
ajhainey wrote:

We manage perfectly well here without greens at all, we only have blue, red and black. Blues are for beginners, anyone that needs some precisely nuanced sub-grading on blue runs actually can't ski and ought to be in a lesson where their instructor can help them find more suitable slopes until they can progress to this easiest of all levels.

I think that depends where you are and how confident you are. I have skied blues I don't think are suitable for beginners (snowplough and early parallel) and people have to go somewhere in the afternoons after their lessons! What about those who can ski harder runs but don't want to? LDA has a couple of blues I don't think would be great for 2 and 3 weeks skiers, especially nervous ones, and the right hand side of La Plagne has too. I think most resorts have the range of runs available I don't see why marking up some true 'easy' runs seperate from the general realm of 'improver' blues would be a bad thing?

aj xx
ski holidays
ajhainey, I like the way some resorts, as well as having green, blue, etc, will mark on the piste map, and on the signs, which run is the easiest way down (although I have laughed in a few resorts where the easiest run off one hill is a very steep black...
snow report
I don't think that the runs that are marked as green are necessarily the most suitable ones for timid skiers to learn on. Let's face it, most green runs are cat tracks that have been pressed into service to provide a conduit for learner skiers to get from one part of the mountain to another, most often back down to resort, and are there only to make the piste map look friendlier for a less experienced skier.

Given that these tracks tend to be narrow and can also be icy, get very cut up and bumpy, and are usually packed with petrified beginners, I actually think that they're not a good place for beginners. Also when you're learning you actually need a bit of a gradient to carry you through your turns, it takes a remarkeably good skier to be able to do good quality turns on a very flat run (as easiski showed me a couple of weeks ago).

Taking all these factors into account, even if a run is marked as a green run, unless you can ski with a degree of competence, I don't think that you should go anywhere unless you're taken there by an instructor.
ski holidays
Quote:

Who says skiing's supposed to be "inclusive"? It's pretty obvious skiing's not improved in any way at all by being "inclusive". The barrier is, as it always has been, the cost of getting to the slopes and staying there, those lucky enough to get there ought to put some little effort in. We could do with rather less people who either fall into the "I do blacks after a weeks skiing" or 3 or 4 week skiers who can't tackle a blue run with any confidence.

Is skiing meant to be exclusive Puzzled

I think there are a lot of resorts that would be grateful of extra custom from whoever.
Looking at snowheads recently there have been a lot of snowHead who have taken up skiing later in life and welcome finding runs that are not challenging.

Even during early learning time most people will wish to do a little free skiing and not have lessons or practice 100% of the time I reckon having easily identifiable green pistes can only be of benefit to these folk and personally think identifiable green runs can only benefit the resort in attracting this relatively wealthy and non rowdy element of the skiing community.
snow report
Quote:
Is skiing meant to be exclusive Puzzled

I don't think that skiing should be exclusive, but the extra burden (infrastructure, cost) on resorts in order to maintain a complicated grading system and appropriate security measures would not be practical in most cases.

Most places have absolute beginner slopes - often free as well. If people don't use them and graduate to the main domain before they are ready, and without having lessons, then it's hardly the resort's fault if they then find themselves in difficulty.
snow report
PG,
I am not sure that subdividing blue runs (officially moderate) into blue and green is particularly complex and expensive the French manage to do it. If it attracts a a potentially lucrative market of early retirees who can ski during the off peak season it should certainly benefit the resort.

I do not think people should ski the domain without lessons, but I know of no resort where ski school hours occupy the entire opening time. If people can identify an easy way down the mountain and a few routes they can take early in their skiing career it is likely to get them coming back for more and many resorts seem to need customers.
ski holidays
If the reason that lessons aren't given for the whole day is because they are tiring, should people who are learning to ski be skiing outside those times if they're likely to be tired?
latest report
T Bar, not sure I see the point - the likes of Les Arcs may not have greens - but it does have a number of free lifts serving very easy runs, plus a 'piste mauve', and beginners can and should stick to these until they can head out into the domain proper, IMO.

It would be nigh on impossible in many resorts to have green runs right back to resort level from up on the mountain.
ski holidays
Kramer, is it physical tiredness, mental tiredness or both?
Sometimes "physical" tiredness is perceived through boredom or mental tiredness, so possibly if the lesson was made more interesting and relevant for the student, then they wouldn't be as tired.
ski holidays
Quote:
ise,
We could do with rather less people who either fall into the "I do blacks after a weeks skiing" or 3 or 4 week skiers who can't tackle a blue run with any confidence.

I think that should be an "I" not a "We" beginning that sentence, as it certainly doesn't include me. I have respect for those that are still struggling to do a blue with any confidence after 3 weeks. If they are enjoying themselves and sticking at it then good for them. If they aren't doing any harm to themselves or others what's the problem?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy