Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

recommended lunch stops in Verbier please

Poster: A snowHead
hi - off to Verbier on Friday.
Where do we get a nice lunch? Interested in both full lunches and somewhere nice for snax coz we are in a hotel on half board - so may not have the stamina for too much at lunchtime.
Thanks as always
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Carrefour...amazing Rosti if nyou hve the egg + lardons (the lardons, ie very thick bacon....incredible!)
Le Mayen...really nice family restaurant
Cabin De Mont Fort, best views on a sunny day
Hot dogs from the place in La Chaux
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks rungsp. xx
ps - Steve just came past the computer and says Carrefour is a supermarket!!!!!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
by the lack of other replies - does this mean:
a) Verbier has no decent lunch stops
b) Snowheads are bored coz this thread has been done so many times before
c) Snowheads don't go to Verbier?

??????
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oops realised I am on hubbies sign on - just to say it is me (jayne) who is obsessed by the lunch thing.... othewise it spoils his macho street cred. !!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Six years since I was in Verbier and I can't remember. In fact can't remember any lunch stops in any resorts. The nearest restaurant to my lunch time is the one I'll use, no name no pack drill.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jayne durham, good memories of 'Chez Danny' on the valley run from Les Ruinettes. Small place kind of hidden in the woods. Very rustic, simple but good food. Once did a candlelight descent from there. Memories are a bit hazy of that Cool Hope it's still there, because it's now about 15 years since I was in Verbier!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jayne durham, Les Ruinettes is a large cafeteria at what one might call the middle station above Verbier. It has a great view from the the terrace and to be fair the food is OK but not wonderful. I don't reckon the menu has changed in 20 years. Seriously they have been doing vol-au-vents all this time.

As mentioned Cabane de Mont Fort is a great lunch venue just below the jumbo cable car between La Chaux and Mont Fort. Here they do great goulasch soup and lovely quiche lorraine based salads. If you venture over to Siviez towards Veysonnaz you might try the restaurant at the top of the new chair at Combatzeline - usual reasonably priced mountain fayre with absolutely fabulous views.

I am off to the 4 Valleys staying in Nendaz from next Wednesday, so if you see someone in a red hat, fairly ancient with crossmax skis it's me!! See you on the slopes!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is lunch really that important. I mean they're all pretty much the same thing IMHO. I'd say enjoy the skiing and then go to whatever place looks to have a nice view. Everyones got different taste buds anyway.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jayne durham, Carrefour means cross-roads and the carrefour restuarant is really nice, it's a super place for a last vin-chaud before skiing back to the village. In the evening after dinner they used to offer pastic bin bags to slide back doen the slopes after eating, I wonder if they still do. There aren't that many reasonable restaurants, altrhough I'd put the Cabine de Mont Fort on any list, there are some good bars though the Offshore and the Milk bar were always favourites but it's a long time since I've been to Verbier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone.. will print this page and certainly try those recommended.
Ahhhhhh AN02ZEJ I remember when I first got hooked on skiing.... Never stopped at lunchtime.. just ate a mars bar on the gondola so we didnt miss any ski time..... But then I discovered lunch stops I'm afraid.....
... and then I discovered that there are lunch stops and LUNCH STOPS....
....and if you're going to waste ski time.... it needs to be worth it.....
....and some of them are really worth it!!!!
... but it sounds as if Verbier isnt exactly Zermatt for lunch.
David - might we bump in to you?? I'm enthusiastic but not very good - Steve's better (or at least he thinks he is!!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jayne durham, got back from Verbier last night- stunning conditions at the moment. Snowing again this morning. For your lunch options, don't forget the Savloyeres sector, Chez Simon, Namaste and the Marmotte are IMO some of the best places to eat in on the hill in Verbier. Croute aux champignons at Namaste is my fave.

But it's not Zermatt, no silver service and nouvelle cuisine. Given the coinditions it would be a sin to linger ovver lunch anyway.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jayne durham wrote:
Thanks everyone.. will print this page and certainly try those recommended.
Ahhhhhh AN02ZEJ I remember when I first got hooked on skiing.... Never stopped at lunchtime.. just ate a mars bar on the gondola so we didnt miss any ski time..... But then I discovered lunch stops I'm afraid.....
... and then I discovered that there are lunch stops and LUNCH STOPS....
....and if you're going to waste ski time.... it needs to be worth it.....
....and some of them are really worth it!!!!
... but it sounds as if Verbier isnt exactly Zermatt for lunch.
David - might we bump in to you?? I'm enthusiastic but not very good - Steve's better (or at least he thinks he is!!)

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jayne durham, wherever you go for lunch in Verbier don't forget to take the deeds to your house to pay for it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gr8 news steve Sparks - I thought it was all thawing at the mo!
Spyderjon... sounds like I'd better pack a supply of mars bars after all then!!!!!
snow report
Chalet Carlsberg half way down Les Attlelas (is this right?). New this season, good food but gets busy.

The restaurant half way down the run down from Mont Fort glacier back to bottom of the Jumbo.
snow conditions
beanie1,
Quote:

Chalet Carlsberg half way down Les Attlelas (is this right?).
Yep,
Quote:

The restaurant half way down the run down from Mont Fort glacier back to bottom of the Jumbo.
that's the Cabane de Mont Fort mentioned earlier.

spyderjon,
Quote:

wherever you go for lunch in Verbier don't forget to take the deeds to your house to pay for it
I don't agree, I reckon 16 CHF for a good bolognaise or equivalent or 20 CHF for croute aux fromage is reasonably good value. I can't find many main course dishes on menus in Brighton for less than a tenner.
snow conditions
I don't find Verbier considerably more expensive than any other top end resort in Europe. In fact I found a fantastic cheap single room in a hotel slap bang in the centre this year. Not going to say which it is here as I don't want it getting booked up too soon, but anyone interested can PM me.
snow report
How about Chiswick.Dulwich,Chelsea or Wimbledon ? Sad
snow conditions
beanie1, I agree - Switzerland in general and Verbier are nowadays no more expensive than France for instance, and somehow the service is more friendly. Just got back from Nendaz and Verbier yesterday and the ski-ing is still absolutely fabulous.

Continuing the thread I ordered Plat du Jour for 16 SwFrs at the self-service restaurant at Gentianes on the Mont-Fort glacier. For my money I received three thick slices of ham, green beans, and a huge portion of "pommes dauphinoises" - spuds in white sauces Little Angel 16 to 18 SwFrs seems to be the order of the day for Plat du Jour, and if you are hungry enough it is probably the best value for money on the mountain.

Also we had a superb Jambon, Fromage, Croute at Cabane de Mont Fort more expensive at 22 SwFrs but a nice treat washed down with half a bottle of Fendant

Also had hot chocolate at the new Chalet Carlsberg half way down Les Attelas, Verbier - slightly more expensive but you get waiter service here. Only thing here was that music was a bit loud.
Already booked to go back to the area for March 2007!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy