Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

waterproofing a ski jacket - how?

Poster: A snowHead
Just reading all the posts about it warming up and raining etc.
When we were away a few weeks ago we experienced for the first time skiing in snow that did not just brush off the jacket - but sat there and soaked through.
In particular my husband's jacket was practically ready to wring out at the end of the day.
Is this normal?
I think his needs some kind of re-waterproofing. What's best to use?
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayne durham, what have you washed it in?

Best is to use natural soap flakes, then treat with a spray, such as nikwax.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We bought a spray from decathlon for our old jackets (after a similar experience in LDA in dec) - seems to have worked fine - and stood up to substantial snow in La Plagne without any leaks. aj xx
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wash-in treatments generally better than spray-on. Spray-on best for jackets with non-detachable wicking liners (obviously you don't want the liner to be waterproof!). Nikwax do a wide range of wash-ins for different fabrics, and they do a special detergent for regular washing that doesn't cause the waterproofing to deteriorate. I find their stuff works really well. Easy to find in any outdoor store.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WTFH - washed it in the stuff our ski shop sells that is non detergent...(think it was by Nikwax)
Reading what people have put - both our jackets have non detachable padded lining - rather than just being outer shells - so we are probably best to use a spray on waterproofing..???

When I went to an outdoor shop the spray ons seemed to be for tents! What is Decathlon - a shop or the brand of spray? Am I looking for a spray specifically for ski wear or for any outdoor clothes? Do I need to go to a ski shop - or where else will I get the kind of sprays you refer to.
Could I get the wrong thing and ruin the jacket??

Thanks everyone.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jayne durham, I always use the Nikwax TX-direct wash-in for all outdoor clothing, in my experience it's far easier to apply than the spray-ons.

Decathlon is a chain of large out-of-town sports shops. Many in France, and a few in the UK: www.decathlon.co.uk

As the jacket is already leaking, you aren't likely to make it worse.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nikwax can be used to waterproof jackets & it doesn't affect the breathability of fabric, your padded lining should be fine - their website is here for further info. Wash your jacket in the washing machine first with their Cleaning product, and then run it through again with their waterproofing product. Works fine.

Previous discussion about Nikwax here

PS - Decathlon is a shop Very Happy and very good and cheap it is too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its certainly easier to use the wash-in re-waterproofing than the spray-on.

I found the spray on very hard to control in terms of getting an even coating and quite messy! Ended up with waterproof fingers for a day or 2 using the spray on and constantly wiping it as directed Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IIRC, spray-on should be used for jackets with a waterproof membrane (goretex, event etc) as you only want the outside layer to be waterproof.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can understand the logical arguments why people prefer to use the spray-on for some garments and the wash-in for others, but that certainly doesn't follow NIKWAX's own guidelines for their products?

Intuitively it makes sense that you should use a spray-on with a membrane garment, but that is actually contrary to NIKWAX's own product descriptions/recommendations ... see http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=3&activityid=-1&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

Link to the spray-on on same page - see the guidelines and recommendations etc. According to this, the wash-in appears to be what should be used for Goretex, EVENT (read membrane) etc. garments?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DAVID F wrote:
IIRC, spray-on should be used for jackets with a waterproof membrane (goretex, event etc) as you only want the outside layer to be waterproof.

But the membrane isn't on the outside so the spray-on is going to have no effect on it. Although the spray-on will on such jackets enhance the degree of beading and run-off, reducing the amount of water soaking into the surface.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You don't waterproof the memebrane, if you do you'll prevent it from allowing vapour to pass through.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DAVID F, as per my post above, NIKWAX recommend the wash-in for membrane garments e.g. gortex, EVENT! I do agree that this is non-intuitive. Follow the links and have a read.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAVID F wrote:
You don't waterproof the memebrane

So what are you waterproofing??? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
try http://www.culverhouse.co.uk for a good deal on Nikwax products.
Prices seem cheaper than the high st, especially if you go for the larger 1000ml bottles.
snow report
Have a look on outdoorsmagic.com, go to the forum section and search on nikwax, there are posts on there from people at nikwax who seem to be saying that it depends whether the jacket is 2 ply or 3 ply goretex as to whether its best to use wash in or spray on. I do agree that this doesn't follow the guidelines on the website.
However, to get back on thread, TX wash-in would be the best bet for a straightforward padded ski jacket without a membrane.
ski holidays
Gosh thanks for all the advice....
Didnt realise I would start such a spray on v wash in debate!!
Not sure whether I have a "membrane" - not sure if the lining is goretex ahhhhh
But hey - as someone said - if its leaking I cant make it worse!!
snow report
RobW, I believe that you are putting a hydrophobic coating on the material, so to stop water from soaking into it, rather than waterproofing anything.
ski holidays
i just washed and waterproofed jackets etc following the advice given by the manufacturer of our stuff:
http://www.arcteryx.com/faq.aspx#4
according to them, the membrane indeed should not be treated so that it stays breathable. the outer fabric layer however needs waterproofing reapplied (spray on preferred) every now and then. if the outer layer gets soaked in rain/snow, it sticks to the membrane and prevents the from being breathable. seems quite logical to me... but i guess the membrane gets some treatment anyway when the outer layer soaks up the proofing liquid.

but the spay-on proofing is indeed a messy job (my hands are still waterproof too...), vinyl gloves come in rather handy.
ski holidays
I have Haglofs softshell jacket and pants. Fantastic gear, very water repellent still (they're relatively new). I asked the manufacturers helpline for information on the topic. Their response was:

"Wash in ordinay detergent in machine. To tumbledry will help the water repellent to stay alive longer. When you need to apply water repellent you shall use a spray."
snow report
http://www.smartpel.com
snow report
@jayne durham,

Please find information about nanoformula textile protection superhydrophobic product: http://www.nanoformula.eu/aspx/textile.aspx
ski holidays
Fabsil GOLD.
snow conditions
Thumbs up for Nikwax wash in - used it on all sorts from goretex shells to tired nylon overtrousers for dog walking - excellent results if you follow the instructions and wash it in
latest report
All. This thread is 9.5 years old!

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy