Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have you been asked to Pay Cash for medical services after an accident?

Poster: A snowHead
This issue has cropped up a few times around here and I know that for those who feel they have been treated unreasonably at a time of need it can stir deep feelings of resentment.

The main reason for my question here is that, as far as I'm aware, France has appeared to have produced more than its fair share of these stories and Val Thorens has been mentioned specifically on more than one occasion.
As the venue for the EoSB I am naturally concerned that we are fully prepared if we are unfortunate enough to experience an injury amongst our number during the week.

Whilst you are welcome to PM/email me your full-form 'Essays of Woe', what I am particularly interested in here is.

1a) Have you (or a member of your ski party) been charged cash for medical services immediately after an accident in any European resort in the past 10 years?
1b) If so, where and when?
1c) Assuming you were unhappy about this, was a complaint made officially and to whom?
1d) Were your concerns/complaint dealt with to your satisfaction? Or at all?

2a) Was a credit/debit card offered and refused.
2b) If so, on what grounds?

3a) Was the incident covered by insurance?
3b) If so, was cover provided by a company of local nationality or foreign?
3c) Did the company refund the costs.

4a) Did the injured party have the cash on them at the time?
4b) If not, how did they acquire it?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just to add balance rather than answer your question. My son twisted his leg and was taken off the slope by the pisteurs in Montgenevre and taken awy to the local clinic. We were asked for our name and address and nothing else bill came through about six months later. (Forgot to claim the insurance though Embarassed )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adadmin, Have sent U a pm. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks T Bar, I'm not looking to paint anywhere in a bad light, least of all Val Thorens since it's one of my personal favourites.
As it's cropped up more than once though and it's a worry to people, I'm just trying to get a cleare idea of whether or where there is a particular problem.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We rushed one of our sons to the medical centre Whilst in Les Menuires recently. Although the ambulance was free the doc made it clear she preferred cash. WSo much so that shee took sterling rather than plastic. I also didnt claim back the €180 Embarassed .

PS Alastair has given bad reports of the doctors in Les Menuires and I heard similar from the Silver Ski staff. We were taken to Bruyeres, on the VT side of Les Menuires, and the female doctor was superb with a wonderful manner. Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Year 1999 - Courchevel 1850 - broke leg on Suisse - taken off on sled - accident unit at 1850, x-ray - ambulance to hospital in Chambery.

Accident unit 1850 - Amex card - the doctor and nurses were great and very competent.

Ambulance - Amex card.

Hospital Chambery - in touch with my insurance company who handled everything, no problems.

Pisteurs - Amex card which they could not make work in their machine - visited me twice in Chambery to try to get their money so I offered them the card twice more - eventually sorted it by getting them to speak to the hospital who put them in touch with the insurance company directly. The pisteurs did check on Suisse that I had the means for paying them which I found slightly mind boggling - if I could not pay would they have left me there?

The surgeon who plated my leg asked very politely if he could be paid in cash as the system would take months to divy up his fee - I had enough cash for me and for the other Brit in the next bed (first day of holiday so I still had cash).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paid cash for an X-ray and consultation in a GP-style surgery in Megève a few years ago. I was told it was what a French person would pay. Can't remember the exact price, but it seemed very reasonable, for an excellent service. I had no qualms about paying and didn't bother looking into reclaiming from insurance - probably below the excess.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stretchered off mountain last year, carte neige, no problem.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Menuires 3-4 years ago. Friend fell on 3rd turn of first run on first day and broke shoulder. Pisteur took him down to resort no problem. Doctor in resort was very nice but would only accept cash, helpfully pointed me in direction of nearest hole in wall where I used my debit card to obtain necessary. On payment Doctor provided good slug of Williams for us both - best medicine. Friend's insurance (SCGB) eventually paid up but many months later.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
1a) Yes
1b) Val D'Isere, 1999
1c) N/A
1d) N/A

2a)Offered, not refused.
2b)N/A

3a)Yes
3b)SCGB insurance
3c)The doctor accepted that he would be paid ,and charged me the insurance excess only. The pharmacist required payment. As I recall, the insurance covered that in full, without excess, because I collected the tickets and had an E111.
4a) Yes.
4b) N/a

Perhaps I should add that, as I was right by the cable car when I realised I had a problem, I struggled down on my own. I then had huge difficulty getting round - but anyway, the cost of getting off the mountain was nil.

To follow on PG's point, carte neige does seem a good idea.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting stuff. Just an observation but all the above differing experiences have happened in France and, in my experience, this is where the "check for means to pay first then treat" culture lives and thrives (Nick Zotov, why on earth would a doctor dream of charging you the insurance excess? That's a matter for you and the insurer!). In Austria they look after patient first, ask questions later - bit like our NHS. Obviousy in France you can't take anything for granted and should carry EVERYTHING... Carte Neige, cash, cards (suggest both Visa and MC), proof of insurance and EHIC card. Having a lawyer alongside your broken body to negotiate the rescue will also help... or you could always go somewhere civilised for your fun (here we go Twisted Evil )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had to produce a credit card before being seen by anyone in Banff 1 charge for the hospital and 1 charge for the doctor my card was pre authorised for up to $6000 this was 5 minutes after arriving whilst taking name address etc. Large notice stated that the hospital will not deal direct with insurance companies and proof of ability to pay is required before being seen.

The care and service I received was however excellent
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Russell, calling the insurance company's rescue service yourself and "handing them the problem" works in such situations. Thing is, insurance companies the world over try and delay paying hospitals etc for as long as possible. Naturally the clinic would rather persuade you to cough up there and then but they will accept insurance if there's no other way.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JohnHill, It was 7 years ago, but I think that was how it happened. The insurance company agreed they would pay him the amount I was covered for - ie his costs less the excess. Which seems reasonable.

My bigger gripe was, with no companion, I was expected to got from the doctors to the pharmacy to get the bandages, crutches with crampons, etc that I needed. I did get some dressings put on immediately, but only on condition that I returned with replacements. As I could not walk well, it was icy, and I only had ski poles, I though that was a bit much. But apparently, then at least, it was the system in France. I had told a friend not to bother to come with me. wrong move.

I do recall a skier in party I was in having a shoulder injury. The paramedic checked to see if he had insurance. As he did, he called in the helicopter. He explained that otherwise he would have called in the sled. Long time ago - but I think that was in Val D, too.

From everything I have read here, the secret in France is to buy and carry Carte Neige - in addition to any insurance cover you may have - if you want t be sure of a hassle-free evacuation in an emergency from the mountain. Can't say I have done it, though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nick Zotov, The same thing happened to me this year in Tignes. It seems ludicrous to me that the doctor's surgeries have the facilities to x-ray and diagnose broken bones, but not the means to treat them and the patient has to make a separate journey (for us some distance and involving stairs) to purchase the bandages, plaster/resin and crutches from the pharmacie to take back for the doctor to apply.

We paid by credit card and are currently going throught the system with our insurers.
snow report
Ray Zorro, In Montalbert the pharmacy delivers Very Happy
snow report
I have responded to admin by pm, since my experience Evil or Very Mad was well covered here

http://www2.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5043&highlight=injury+piste+hidden+costs

Heere is a link to the letter I sent to VT resort and to the French Gov't Tourist Office in London.
http://spaces.msn.com/sunshack/
snow report
1a) Yes
1b) Alpe D'Huez 2004
1c) Complained to medical centre
1d) Answered by shrugs & sudden inability to speak any English!
2a) Offered
2b) Told cash only
3a) Yes
3b) British
3c) Yes but less £50 excess!
4a) Yes
4b) N/A
snow report
Russell wrote:
Had to produce a credit card before being seen by anyone in Banff 1 charge for the hospital and 1 charge for the doctor my card was pre authorised for up to $6000 this was 5 minutes after arriving whilst taking name address etc. Large notice stated that the hospital will not deal direct with insurance companies and proof of ability to pay is required before being seen.

The care and service I received was however excellent

Same thing happened to me in Banff - was it the Mineral Springs Hospital? Toofy Grin The care (treating a dislocated shoulder) was excellent. I have just had settlement of the insurance claim from Norwich Union Direct 10 days after submitting it- all expenses less the £50 excess.
By the way, are travel insurance premiums like car insurance i.e if you make a claim your premium goes up next year?
ski holidays
February this year, half term, Alpe d'Huez. Youngest daughter falls badly on her snowboard and hurts right wrist. walked her down to the nearest first aid station, where first aid guy (correctly) dignoses fracture.

He takes us (on lift) to point where colleague meets us and snow-cats daughter back to Alpe d'huez medical centre. I follow up (on skis) and arrive some time later to find daughter enjoying laugh and joke with kindly Doctor.

Doctor xrays and identifies fracture. Medical centre insist on 150 Euros cash for exam plus xray, cash point just round corner does the trick. further 80 Euros to pharmacist for heat-shrink writs brace. No real problem and all claimed back on insurance on return.

Ride off mountain cost 360 Euros but first aiders claimed it direct from club med. never even asked to pay, just given receipt.

summary - cash needed, but not unreasonable. treatment excellent.

BTW three weeks later daughter is right as rain - looking forward to easter at lake tahoe
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy