Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warning about flying with PMR446 radios in hand luggage ...

Poster: A snowHead
Just a warning. This past weekend I was forced to go and check my hand luggage in because the security guys would not allow me on the plain with walkie talkies in my hand luggage - despite deliberately leaving them on all night to ensure they were flat and showing him they were.

I have flown 3 legs before without anybody getting upset, but this time it resulted in a frantic dash back to check in hand luggage I would rather not have due to other valuables being in an unsecured daypack. And no, they were not listed on the list of things you should not have in your hand luggage. I was also not the only one who encountered this.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
agavin, Which airport?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It seems to have become a matter of pot luck about what we are allowed to carry with us, these days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
agavin, I was stopped years ago with a guitar tuner, thankfully I had a working battery in it, and could prove that it was functioning as it was supposed to, I've also had security at airports insist that I boot up my laptop to prove it was working too, so I've always made sure that any electronic device I carry on has enough power to prove to them it is what I claim it to be.
If I put something in the hold luggage, I take the batteries out.

I've never had a problem with walkie talkies, but I haven't flown with mine in the last couple of years.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP, Verona, Italy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
we had the same problem in Geneva a few years back. I understand their reasoning, I guess walkie talkies could be used to "plan" something onboard.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, even slightly 'funnier' after the security guy had stopped me and started making me unpack my luggage and already discovered the 'Walkie Talkies', was when he then found my USB Flash Memory Pen Drive in my backpack. He knew enough to say 'Walkie Talkies not allowed', but this just got a 'And this also not allowed!'. I suspect it represented a 'I don't know what this is, but while on a roll I am going to be officious!'
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gregh, yeah, their reasoning is certainly valid ... but they really should add it to the list of things (like nail files!) that are not allowed and be consistent ... otherwise it becomes a little random at the potential expense of passengers losing property if there isn't sufficient time to check it in. I will certainly find some hard case for them and put them in my main luggage in case in the future.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
true agavin, since that one incident I've always packed mine in main luggage, as I have my peeps!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
agavin wrote:
....yeah, their reasoning is certainly valid ...

Not really, you can have mobile phones on board full charged. And you can move around the plane and talk to other passengers.

What's it preventing?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, moblies would not work without a cell base station within range. Not to many at 33000ft Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Due to Easyjey luggage restrictions I lumped all of our chargers, cables, cameras, walkie talkies etc into one piece of carry-on. It was picked for inspection at Stansted (by a most charming lady) and ignored at Lyon.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 22-03-06 11:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick_C, what is the range of a cell base station? I would have thought they were around 10 miles or more, so 33,000ft of clear air should be no problem.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had pulled out my mobile with a questioning face at the time and was told 'Walkie Talkies No - Mobiles Yes'. I wasn't going to push the issue in case he reached for the latex gloves Shocked

Making mobile calls while flying should be possible, but I would guess that availablility is not guaranteed due to aircraft following routes less associated with the ground routes covered by networks and I would guess that calls are more likely to be dropped due to other interferences (i.e. if mobiles can interefere with the aircrafts systems, it stands to reason that the aircrafts systems could interfere with the mobiles?).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marc gledhill wrote:
agavin wrote:
....yeah, their reasoning is certainly valid ...

Not really, you can have mobile phones on board full charged. And you can move around the plane and talk to other passengers.

What's it preventing?

I'm guessing here Marc, but walking around and talking to someone to "plan" an incident is probably a touch more obvious than hiding in toilets and using walkie talkies to "plan" something.

You can simply use them (as done in films) for a simple click of static to mean "go", "stop" or some simple task that you have pre-agreed.

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
My limited knowledge of airside security tells me that it is not so much the purpose of the equipment but what may be hidden inside and shielded from the X ray machine and remain unseen. If in doubt it does not go on!
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, I have heard that the problem is that your phone can contact too many base stations, so the frequency allocations get swamped, especially if 100 people on the plane have theire mobiles on (and thus in contact with a base station(s) every second) !
ski holidays
boredsurfin, yes, I believe so, hence the requirements I've had to prove something works.
ski holidays
lampbus, Just a guess, but is it not to do with the polarisation of the signals from the transmitters. Most transmitter/ base stations I would think would have a horizontal polarization. It would require vast amounts of power to broadcast siganls over a complete hemisphere, but if you restrict that to a single plane then the power requirements are vsatly reduced. Much more likely that the base stations just don't send signals vertically up.
Anyone who actually knows how mobile base stations work please feel free to jump in, but I know that this is how most radio and TV transmissions are done.

Also the thing with walkie talkies is that they could also be used as a triggering device. Not sure many of the guys manning the x-ray machines would be able to tell whether the vast mass of wires and circuit boards attached to a transmitting aerial were modified in any way. Same could be argued about mobiles, however I think they just go with them as dissallowing them would lead to absolute carnage at the security checks Laughing
latest report
The guys manning the x-ray machines called me back from being through security and in the lounge to the scanner at check in after they spotted something dodgy in my boot bag. It wasn't the jumble of wires, batteries and kit for the camcorder and mobile phone but the retractable-cable ski lock I'd got, they just couldn't figure out what it was so wanted to know.
ski holidays
Big G, the US airlines are about to start allowing passengers to use their mobiles once in the cruise, seat belt light off, etc. and I guess there wouldn't be this decision if all they could use them for is dim reading lights. Also, I heard that some of the 9/11 passengers on the Washington plane called warnings, last messages etc. using their mobiles in flight.

Back on topic, I would leave charge in so they can be demonstrated. I would be most upset if someone wanted my £250 ARVA checked in - they would get a robust argument, stripey uniform or not. It goes in my hand luggage with my cameras, laptop and all valuables.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, just bought one of those the other day and was wondering if it may cause a problem. Guess I'd better pack it at the top to prove what it is.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, they couldn't work out it was a bunch of car keys? Wink
snow conditions
GrahamN, sshhh!! Don't mention car keys when FenlandSkier's around. You know how it upsets him wink
ski holidays
I'm not upset around keys, it's when they're not around that the trouble starts. Laughing
snow conditions
My kids have regularly carried their walkie talkies on the plane, including across the atlantic without any problem at all.
snow report
I've carried walkie-talkies and all kinds of electronic oddities in my hand luggage without problem ... so far.
snow report
BMI baby refused to leave the guy next to me take his walkie talkies in his hand luggage - at the time they were swabbing my camcorder for traces of explosives Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks to this thread I now need to repack for tomorrow when as I am heading to Les Arcs via Lyon - Thanks for the heads up
snow report
Bizarre.

All I know is that it's statistically unlikely that there'll ever be two bombs on board and they've always let me board with mine...
latest report
David Murdoch, that's the sort of comment that can get you into trouble at the airport snowHead Laughing
snow report
Annehillskiing, I know...how dull is that?
latest report
Annehillskiing wrote:
David Murdoch, that's the sort of comment that can get you into trouble at the airport snowHead Laughing

Yep comments like that are likely to have these brought out ... err where is that bomb hiding?

ski holidays
agavin, what? Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Airport? "let's do the timewarp noowww...", "He's got no neck!"
ski holidays
I've always carried mine in hand luggage, usually I'm asked to demonstrate that they actually work.

However, for tomorrow's trip, they'll be in my hold luggage.

I'm not taking any chances.
ski holidays
I always stick mine in hand luggage - I thought that electrical items were not allowed in the hold luggage. I never have any problems as mine operate on US frequencies and therefore it would be illegal to use them to trigger a bomb whilst flying over European airspace. Twisted Evil
latest report
Scarpa, I'd have thought they'd notice the bomb doors opening anyway. Sound a bit like the undercarriage going down wouldn't they?
snow conditions
David Murdoch, You shouldn't speak about the flight staff like that!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy