Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise Equipment (indoor) - If you were to buy one piece what would you go for and why?

Poster: A snowHead
I’m recently back from Saalbach where I had a fantastic time. My skiing however did not progress and I know a lot of this was to do with me not being fit / strong enough. I had been working out well in October / November then it all went wrong ….

I’ve got a young baby, work long hours and travel with work so I really don’t have much time to get to the gym (although I still sponsor it on a monthly basis) other than for a game of squash here or there. What I’m thinking is to get one piece of aerobic exercise kit for the house and to use it before work. Preferably something I can get a lot out of for the least time put in …… I was thinking of a rower – good all round body workout, very good aerobically, and a particular emphasis on the legs (my rather weak point!)

Any thoughts …….
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skipping rope ... takes up less space and gives you a good all-round workout - you can do pushups for a bit more upper body work ... and get a chin up bar to put in a doorway if you want to work your lats and biceps a bit.

More seriously, if you are sold on a CV machine, then I would go for some form of cross-trainer/elliptical trainer where you can schedule intervals where you only push or pull etc. to give yourself more of an upper body workout ... with a slightly dodgy back, I find the constant checking of my form on a rower a real downer to allowing me to just go for it - and it only work the 'pull' muscles in the upper body.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
An exercise ball? They seem quite versatile in working on specific exercises to strengthen things like core muscles. Perhaps couple that with some form of CV kit, such as an elliptical cross trainer or bike?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A BOSU.

A fantastic bit of kit that can be used for cardio, resistance, core stability, plyometric, co-ordination and balance exercises. It is a fantastic bit of kit for ski specific workouts. Being a PT I use it extensively in my sessions with clients.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A set of dumb bells and an exercise mat is all you need. Well it's all I use to supplement my running or use when I can't get out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A personal trainer
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A bed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A set of stairs.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Adamski,

If you want a cardio type machine then I'd go for what Herman Maier spends most of his time on - a stationary cycle trainer. Get a heart rate monitor and power output measurement so you can check development and give yourself targets.

As others have said core body muscles are important. Your muscles pay dearly for poor technique/stance. As a positive example look at old skier whose strength ain't what it used to be but their efficient technique allows them to ski better than people half their age. (copyright Masque wink )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Adamski, try a mountain bike ? I have an elliptical trainer which never gets used 'cos it's soooo boring. Bike gets me in fresh air, doesn't take any longer, and isn't so boring....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I’ve got a young baby, work long hours and travel with work so I really don’t have much time to get to the gym

Same here, altho I never went to the gym much in the first place! For skiing, you do not need a lot of arm strength, pole-planting is about technique, not slamming your tips in as deep as you can. Core-stength is more important: do plenty of trunk curls/sit-ups, and then get an exercise bike - when I started using one (instead of running in the evenings) it improved my ski-stamina a lot. Far better than a rowing machine for ski-fitness, I hardly use my rower now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
can you cycle to work/the gym at all, even if once or twice a week, that would help IMHO
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Long cycle rides, when it's not freezing or peeing down. Elliptical strider when it is freezing or peeing down. Either can be used to work cardio vascular and leg stamina, depending on choice of gears and how hard you are prepared to push yourself. Seems to be enough to let me ski hard all day on all terrain, just feeling knackered as I start slurping my end of day beers! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A dog. You have to go for walks twice a day (at least) what ever the weather. Also very good at reducing stress levels after a particularly grueling day at work.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski, seconded. Mountain Biking is also good for your back, so my doctor tells me. If I do a lot of uphill biking my back does feel a lot better. Apart from anything else it's fun, and if you do it properly also releases a good cocktail of endorphins and adrenalin into your blood... In fact these days I just do skiing to keep me fit for the mountain bike season.
ski holidays
It is amazing how many snowHead snowHead snowHead struggle with their english comprehension:- he said INDOOR equipment, people!
Maybe Adamski could mountain bike up and down the stairs, or round his living room Puzzled
ski holidays
the ice perv, one of these days I'll learn to read.
latest report
I mentioned a peice of kit called a BOSU earlier on. Fantastic bit of kit that is used extensively by the US ski team.

See here : http://www.bosu.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=bosu/story.html?article=2407

If anyone is interested in ski specific workouts then drop me a line and I will sort something out for you.
latest report
 brian
brian
Second the suggestions for a bike. I've also got a turbo trainer resistance wheel type thing* which means I can pedal away in the garage listening to the radio if it's really dark/cold/wet and I don't fancy going out.

* although it has to be said, it's only really usable with slick tyres unless you're deaf Laughing
ski holidays
All, thanks for the input. A couple of points .....

1. the ice perv, quite correct - I did say indoor and for a reason. Its all a question of time / efficiency - I want one thing I can do in as little time as possible - IN MY HOUSE!

2. Time - I want the most out from the least put in. I have been considering an exercise bike or a rower. Rowers give you a more rounded workout than the bikes. You would need to hammer the bike to get the same workout in the same amount of time ...?

3. Space is also as issue - I don't have a garage otherwise I would probably do the Turbo trainer idea. Also space is probably why an eliptical trainer is out. The Mrs isn't happy about the idea of the house being cluttered up with anything ....
snow conditions
Adamski wrote:
I want one thing I can do in as little time as possible...

So, from what I've heard, my suggestion would be the best! Laughing
ski holidays
A rower IS a better all-body exerciser than a bike Adamski, but if it is ski-specific improvements you want the bike wins hands-down.

As for that BOSU thing, it might improve your balance (which neither a bike nor a rower will) but I can't see how it would be better than the other options for your aerobic work-out. No I haven't tried it before you ask! Very Happy
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, like the song says: five minutes and you're almost dead Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Mike Lawrie, is that including time for him to get changed out of and back into his normal clothes, and have a shower?
snow conditions
I'd go for the rower as most efficient way of tiring yourself out in minimum time or a good quality running machine. Concept 2 is the market leader but pretty expensive. The Bosu thing (I never knew the name before) is fantastic for imporving balance, core stability and I used it extensivley to rebuild the strength of all the small muscles and stuff around my knees.

The only thing I would say is that you may be more likley to spend more time on a X trainer as you can easily set up a television near it and watch that while clocking up the Kms. I know if I am at the gym and there is a good footie match on I would be on the X trainer for the whole period in prefernece to the bike (sore bottom), running machine (no knees, not fit enough, couldn't keep my head still enough), rowing marhcine (can't watch anything.

My gym is currently testing a skating machine which works the muscles on the sides of my legs which I do feel while boarding so is proving quite interesting.
snow conditions
the ice perv, By doing a circuit of jumping, bouncing, stepping and hopping exercises the BOSU will give you a very effective aerobic workout which when done correctly is far more ski specific than anything you could do on any other piece of kit. If you PM me your email then I could send you a sample program to show you what I mean.

50% of my business at this time of year (the ski season) is ski/board specific workouts. Clients come to me because of my experience as a PT and a Ski Instructor. As mentioned before if anyone is interested in ski specific workouts then just drop me a line.
ski holidays
Stocky a ski/board specific work out sounds top. What do you need to know about me and Mrs P when I PM you? I board Mrs P skis.
snow conditions
ashton parker, All i will need is a brief exercise history and a bit of info on any injuries you may have that might affect your workout, dodgy knees or ankles etc. If you can also let me know if you have access to a gym or whether it is for home workouts that would help. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A static bike.... BTW you don't need to buy an expensive one.. Several companies make a frame into which you can fit an ordinary bike, you don't even need a 'front' wheel, the rear wheel rests on a roller and you can adjust the resistance to rotation of the roller and hence your 'work' level. In the summer take the bike out of the frame, fit the front wheel and cycle outside. 100% bang for your buck wink

Great for both cardio and leg strength work!
ski holidays
I personally wouldn't buy any equipment. I have written a guide to get you in shape for the slopes and requires no extra equipment, just yourself. Have a look at it and I hope it helps you out!!!

Cheers and happy christmas

Jim
snow report
Here's my bit of advice for most bang for the buck: Tabata intervals....20secs on/10secs rest for 8 sets (total: 4min). You can do 1-3 cycles. It gives a full body workout in minimum time. This is a very tough workout when done right but it's short and it's been scientifically proven...its inventor is a Japanese sports scientist/doctor who tested it on professional athletes.

http://youtube.com/v/peLFTePbfDQ

I slightly adapted the movement by using a SwissBall to slightly lean against for the up/down movement which protects my back and puts more weight on the legs.

You can use the Tabata protocol on all sorts of activities such as running/biking/swimming or any activity, preferably one which involves many muscles especially major one such as the legs.

To sum up my vote goes to a Swiss Ball and some weights, the latter you don't even need to buy, just use large bottles or other heavy objects.
snow report
Well personally, I wouldn't buy any equipment thing, since I know the full body stretching workout that is a great stamina builder too. Its called Surya namaskaar, a 12-step process which if done at a moderate speed, doubles up as a warm-up too. After two warm-up rounds, you can slow down the speed and notice the meditative effect taking over. If, however, somebody hasn't done any legs' stretching movements since a long time, I recommend strengthening the leg-muscles first that can be done with the help of a spinning bike. So, You can invest wisely in a good exercise bike though with a long term goal of full body workout Little Angel
ski holidays
Over the years I have owned an elliptical trainer, a treadmill, a turbo trainer and a Concept 2 rowing machine [still own the last two]. For all around fitness and efficiency, I rate the Concept 2 above the others. The other advantage to a rowing machine is the amount of work you are [not] doing is staring you straight in the face.... it is amazing how even a week or so away from it and I cannot pull what I did previously. If I wanted to build thighs of thunder, I would stick with the turbo. It gets a bit spendy, but a proper power meter [built into the wheel, not the turbo] will also give you more numbers than you could ever want to play with... key again, it tells you if you are just lilly dipping along or actually having a proper workout.

Also, don't underestimate the amount of space the thing takes up... an elliptical trainer is big, although, as i found, all those stickie out bits are very useful for hanging jackets and other kit.... A treadmill is also big [some folding models]. Plus, the treadmill requires [for me, anyway] regular use or else the muscle soreness is too much. A rowing machine can be broken into two 'lean against the wall' bits when not in use. And a turbo is tiny. Budget for a large fan as well. And a TV screen or some music.

Bottom line: I would go for a Concept 2 and follow a training program like the one you can find here: http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

greg
ski holidays
Adamski, If you decide to go for a rower consider a Waterrower. They stand on end for storage and are relatively quiet compared to a Concept rower. I managed to get one from ebay a few years ago and what I also like about them is that spares are available if necessary. Seek out their website and you can buy or lease.
snow conditions
Personally, I'd go for a Tacx turbo-trainer and road bike with the Virtual Reality software. There's nothing more mind-numbing than repetitive gym workouts for me, and the VR software makes it more interesting with races against yourself, others or simply riding some of the great routes, all displayed on your screen (I'd have it on my telly if I could). You can configure it to do cardio or power, and as you're also steering and maybe out the saddle for some parts, it's gives a healthy dose of core workout as well as legs, and can easily be tweaked to offer cardio or power depending on 'where' you're riding.
snow conditions
This has thrown up a few names from the past. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy