Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Famous people on the piste.

Poster: A snowHead
OK, who's seen someone famous on the piste?

In February 2003 I saw Montel Williams (American chat show host) learning to snowboard in Lake Louise. He was at the top of the Glacier Express lift surrounded by his entourage and was putting his OWN chocolate wrapper in the bin. He boarded with all the skill of a 5 year old sat on a tea-tray so how he got down to the bottom I'll never know.

Anyone else?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My hero Konrad Bartelski, in his sacred Kitzbuhel. I nearly fainted.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The problem is that people are wrapped up in so many layers and googles etc that I only just about recognise my husband!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can wrap and goggle Konrad Bartelski any way you like. His chiseled jawbones are unmistakable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hayley t wrote:
The problem is that people are wrapped up in so many layers and googles etc that I only just about recognise my husband!

So by Hayley's logic, I've probably seen loads of famous people on the piste. I just didn't recognise them!

I did see "Lisa Dingle", from Emmerdale shopping in Selfridges food hall in Manchester last Friday. Does that count? There was no snow around unfortunately Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saw Keith Chegwin at Les Arcs in January - hayley's right, it was difficult to recognise him with his clothes on Razz
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Didn't see him but Justin Timberlake snowboarded at Nevis Range this winter and also at one of the English indoor slopes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiied with Martin Bell again this season. (is he still famous)
Saw JP Auclair land a 30ft cliff jump (at a guess) at Alta.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was in Verbier the week after Fergie was there. Lots of tales of her and her enterage getting bubbles all to themselves with no queuing. I hate that sort of rubbish, no doubt she paid the same for her lift pass (or did she get it for free Puzzled ). Generally I don't go to the sort of places the celebs go (although I have been to Courchevel but when I went it was in France but when the Beckhams went, according the newspapers, it was in Switzerland which may be why I didn't see anyone famous there Puzzled ) When I was in Borovetz appartently Eddie the Eagle was there but I never saw him.

Other celeb sightings I've had are.

1. Shaking hands with Steve Redgrave. At the time he'd only won three olympic golds so was almost unknown outside rowing and he gave prizes at Sudbury Regatta (about the lowest brow rowing event in the country). I somehow doubt that they could afford him now.
2. Been overtaken by Gordon Ramsay on an organised training run (preparation for the London Marathon) in Hemel Hempsted!
3. Seen Michael Aspel on the river bank at Walton-on-Thames. My mum nearly fainted and couldn't stop gossiping about who the woman with him was!
4. Wandered into a travel agents in Harlow to find all the desk staff fawning over Jade Goodie which had the great advantage that they didn't offer me unsolicited help after two seconds of picking up a brochure. Is it just me or is that really annoying!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saw Martina Navratilova with Davinia Galacia (sp?) in a cafe in Les Arcs. She was famous at the time...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mrs Z brought was given a photo that a girl in her year 1 class was proudly handing out, it showed the little girl with Posh (Spice) Beckham at a Swiss resort over Christmas.

Well known in certain circles, but probably not by all, Graham Kendrick (writer of many modern hymns/Christian songs) visited me in Bad Gastein hospital where I spent the majority of my first ever ski holiday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When I was a child I saw the Dutch Royal Family, Robert Graves, and Peter Finch (who had just lost out to Burton for a part in "Cleopatra") in Lech (they were all at the Post Hotel).
More recently Franz Klammer in the Hahnenkamm cable car.

I've seen dozens of famous people around here where I live (edge of Hampstead Heath) particularly actors and writers and artists, . For example Michael Foot walking his dog, Glenda Jackson at the next table, Michael Palin (I talk to him in the street now and then - he lives just down the road).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 20-05-04 12:36; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So next time I'll just look out for an entourage!

Off piste - George Michael had dinner in a local restaurant of mine the other week and was seated just across from us. It was a bizarre experience and just about the last place you'd expect to see someone famous.

Snowball - was Franz Klammer in the car with his name on it?!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The trick for recognising people is to be pally with the ski school (they ALWAYS have lessons) and with the lifties who will tell you where on the mountain they are. Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When we were at Lake Louise in January, Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta Jones and Robin Williams were staying at Banff Springs. Didn't actually see them but secondhand reports mentioned that while the Douglases swanned about in a limo, surrounded by security, Williams just mixed in with the crowd.
ski holidays
Do ski racers count? I usually ski in Wengen the week of the downhill, so meet many of them in bars, on chairs, and skiing past me very fast.
snow report
I'm told that David Vine was never seen on a pair of skis, though his legendary Ski Sunday commentaries never gave this away. Sheer authority.
snow conditions
O yes, I saw Hazel Irvine as well!!
ski holidays
hayley t, Probably before it had his name on it. Next day was his last big win on the Hahnenkamm. I watched it from half way down the Mausefalle jump (I saw the undersides of their ski as they went over). Very hard to stand on such a steep slope: several spectators fell down the hill.
Yes Alexandra, I've had people pointed out by ski teachers when I was a child (one was the current world ski champion, but I've forgotten his name now
snow conditions
Does she ski with an autocue? *

*gag refers to Hazel Irvine
ski holidays
Snowball, I've skied Kitz once and part of the Hahnenhamm and one day I hope to see the race, it must be awesome to watch. The skiers must be mad! My instructor told me that racers do at least 60mph at the mousetrap - maybe he was trying to scare me off!
ski holidays
Prince Edward was handing out the prizes at the British Children's Champs in Méribel last month. What an honour.
latest report
hayley t, Top speed can be over 80mph on some sections....
snow report
hayley t, I think they average 60mph, I was told they reach 80mph at the base of the Mausefalle
ski holidays
I've always wondered how fast I actually go when I'm scussing on something fairly safe. I bet it's nowhere near 60mph but it feels very very fast and very very scary and I wouldn't want to go much faster. Anyone got any ideas how fast they actually go? I'm usually faster than most around me but not the fastest.
latest report
I managed 82.06km/h at Wengen. Proof here.
snow report
Elizabeth B, Were you trying to go fast and how fast did it really feel?
snow report
Chris Reed, There's a thread about the Flying Kilometre piste at Les Arcs... it's pretty easy to reach 120 kph + on standard skis there, from halfway down. Feels like you're about to break the sound barrier... the noise, vibration... what is must be like at 240 kph, I dread to think.

As for racers reaching 130 kph in a downhill, well I was at one in Les Orres a couple of seasons back - when you see it from the side of the piste instead of on the TV screen you really get an idea of the speed and danger involved. Terrifying stuff.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have seen Ian Hopkinson (on the piste) and PG (in a restaurant by the piste).
Now, they are A Class celebrities. All others mentioned here so far strictly second rate. snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Reed, yes I was trying to go fast. The piste conditions were a little soft, but it felt far faster than it was - and I kept expecting to catch an edge.
snow report
A friend of mine had a go at the lower half (actually more like lower 2/3) of the Les Arcs flying K. on normal skis. He managed 110 kph. Do I understand it that you did 120kph PG?
No idea how fast I go.
I took a small spirit level for measuring angles in my rucksack last year, to measure how steep the steeper slopes really were. But I was too busy skiing them to think of it.
Elizabeth B, that was no proof. I expect to see a certificate.
snow conditions
snowball, Well... actually it was 116 kph. No great achievement I'm afraid, the 11/12 yr olds in the Les Arcs club had a go from the same start point in April on their GS skis and they all did between 120 & 130 kph. Same day too, so I can't blame it on the conditions!
ski holidays
Alexandra wrote:
In February 2003 I saw Montel Williams (American chat show host) learning to snowboard in Lake Louise. He was at the top of the Glacier Express lift surrounded by his entourage and was putting his OWN chocolate wrapper in the bin. He boarded with all the skill of a 5 year old sat on a tea-tray so how he got down to the bottom I'll never know.

That's strange, cos there is a thread in the snowboarding (sorry, snowBoarding) forum about an article about him - he says that he has been boarding for 5 seasons and has boarded for approximately 500 days!!!!
ski holidays
Franz Klammer at Rossendale (I don't think he really likes skiing on plastic)
ski holidays
When I was Skiing at Sunshine a couple of years ago there was a celebrity ski racing competition (organised by Arnie Schwarzinegger if I remember correctly).

Pierce Brosnan was the only one I recognised but I did share a chair on several occasions with gorgeous young ladies who were taking part but my total lack of knowledge of the celebrity circus meant that I hadn't a clue who anyone of them were and I thought it pretty impolite to ask.

When they asked where I was from I said Manchester as I really doubt that they would know Burnley and without exception they all knew Man Utd and that was about it.

The lift went above the slalom course so I could watch them and they were all pretty good although most of them seemed to have their own instructors.

Stephen.
ski holidays
Former ski chamion Luc Alphand several times in Serre Chevalier (his home). Oh and when we were in Banff, some guy filming a travel show (not Uk), and his entourage kept follwing us around from Lake Louise to Banff and back again, but don't know who he was, everyone else thought he was famous.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, ever been to Vallouise? Just south of Serre Che? Met Luc Alphand there at the brasserie he runs with brother Lionel, they brew a great selection of beers, superb restaurant too. Well worth a trip one evening if you've got a car, nice little resort too....
latest report
Just found the website for the Alphand Brasserie....
http://www.brasserie-alphand.com/

(I believe Lionel had a bad injury early on in his racing career, he was apparently as gifted as his brother.)
snow report
Have drank the beer PG, sold in bottles in the supermarkets. Next time we are there i'll try the brasserie. We usually diy to Turin so have a car when we are there.
snow report
I had the very dubious pleasure of seeing Victoria Beckham in Courchevel in April, no doubt she loved the 'Swiss' rolling eyes ambiance. Rather ruined a nice lunch I was having though!
Also saw Robbie Williams, or rather the huge entourage surrounding him in Zermatt at New Year a couple of years ago. At least he can sing......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy